Google

Relevance Date Difficulty

Advertising Operations Associate Interview

Advertising Operations Associate

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – After rescheduling 3 phone interviews, Google called finally got in touch with me. They wanted a complete description of my undergraduate experience (my brief overview was not sufficient and asked for more details) and a full explanation of my qualifications as an advertising operations manager at a publisher in Oakland.

Interview Question – There weren't any questions that seemed difficult. They were surprisingly easy.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – This review is in regards to my second phone interview for the product manager position. I uploaded my review for the first phone interview on March 19, 2014 if you would like to see that one as well.

I was contacted by the recruiter saying my first interviewer thought I would be good for the role, but was unable to determine my level of product creativity. So we set up a second interview with another PM. It was not your typical Google interview. He only asked me two questions.

1. Tell me about a product/project you managed that you feel most represents your skill set as a PM.

2. If you were to come on as a PM at Google what would your process be for determining what lies ahead and needs to be accomplished (My answer focused on acquiring insights from my engineering team, having discussion with subject matter experts, and using Google's extensive amount of data to create actionable metrics).

I've been invited to Mountain View for the in person interviews in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted on how those interviews are.

Interview Question – He led off the interview by asking me what questions I had for him. I was caught slightly off guard as I was expecting to be put through ringer. In my previous interview there had only been time for two of my questions, so I didn't have that many prepared. In this particular interview about 30-40 minutes of the hour long interview was devoted to questions I had for him, so I had to come up with a lot of them on the fly. I believe he was also assessing my Product Management knowledge based upon the kinds of questions I was asking.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn in early October, total process took about 4 months. The recruiter contacted me 4-5 weeks after my initial application. We set up a phone interview, but the earliest available date was mid-December. Phone interview was brief and pretty simple (basic data structures / algorithms stuff), and I was asked for an onsite interview just a couple hours after completing this. The onsite interview had to wait until January, however, due to the holiday schedule. Arrived at the Google office on the morning of the interview and was met (about 10 minutes late) by what turned out to be my first interviewer (an engineer, who didn't seem to know his way around the office). After 45 minutes, the interview ends abruptly and new person walks in. This is the basic pattern for the whole day (it's a 6 hour process, including lunch in the commissary): for the most part, each interview was pretty casual and the difficulty level was not nearly what I expected -- nearly all the questions were object-oriented design and basic algorithms (not even any graph theory, which I was anticipating).

I felt pretty good about my performance overall, although I probably spent more time with certain problems than I should have -- it was difficult to get a sense of proper pacing since each interviewer had a vastly different demeanor and the range of problems varied from simple recall to complex problem solving. About 2 weeks after my interview, I received a call from the recruiter who simply said that I had not been selected at this time. She was polite and apologetic, but could offer no actionable feedback.

Overall, my interactions with Google employees were friendly and relatively prompt. I felt the process took far too long, but I guess this is to be expected for such a large company. I also feel that the peer review system of interviewing left me almost completely in the dark about how well I performed. It is also somewhat odd that at no point in the process was I made aware of which team I was being considered for.

Interview Question – There weren't any questions that were surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back after 2-3 weeks. They interviewed me over the phone and the following week they brought me into their local office for 3 more interviews. All the questions were fairly easy basic technical question interview except for one question concerning encryption. I know little to nothing about this certain one type of encryption so I just winged the question and thought they'll forgive me for not knowing one specific topic. However, they called me back 2 weeks later and told me that they were no longer going move forward with the process. I was pretty devastated but what can I do.

Interview Question – They made me sign a confidentiality agreement.   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – When I interviewed 8 years ago, the interview process at Google was very different than it is today. I had 17 interviews (2 phone interviews and 15 in-person interviews). I had to interview with more than half of the people in the office at the time.

Interview Question – Too long ago to remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview started with a non-technical phone interview with a recruiter -- easy, standard stuff. A week later was a technical phone screen. We had a shared Google Doc and I had to implement a HashMap. Up until now, things were ok.

I had some issues with how the in-person reviews were run. Most of the questions were reasonable, but the interviewers clearly lacked any sort of experience in running an interview.

Interview Question – Write an algorithm for integer multiplication   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was 1 hour technical phone interview. Questions about algorithms and certain data structures about hash maps, you actually code with the interviewer on a google doc. Ask questions if something is unclear, they want to know that your thinking and not just assuming things.

Interview Question – If you have a ransom letter and magazines, can you construct the ransom letter from the words in the magazine.   View Answers (3)

Rich Media Campaign Manager Interview

Rich Media Campaign Manager
Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacts you about position and here are the phases:
1.) Phone interview
2.) Onsite Interviews
3.) Onsite Interviews
4.) Background Check

Good experience, but very difficult. Utilize the help the recruiter gives you.

Interview Question – How many dogs are in the US?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a Software Engineer position. Two phone screens and then an on-site with five engineers. Everything went extremely well. Solved all the whiteboard coding problems. Also had a non-coding puzzle that I didn't entirely finish but had made progress on deconstucting/solving. Interviewers were nice, engaging and all had unique personalities. I left that day feeling extremely confident that I had done really well. Fast forward three weeks (minor nit -- the recruiter disappeared for two weeks w/o any contact -- very unprofessional. She did apologize later.) and I get a call from the recruiter saying that they will not be moving forward. I was shocked, to say the least. If that wasn't an outstanding interview on my part, then I don't know what is. Anyway, got the standard "We can't give you any feedback for legal reasons but feel free to apply again in 12-18 months".

Based on all the interview experiences here, I wouldn't really sweat it too much if you don't get an offer and you believe you did well. As has been noted in the past, Google's interview process seems to be susceptible to false negatives and they can afford to turn good people away (which is certainly their right).
Oh well, their loss :-)

AdWords Representative Interview

AdWords Representative
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Google in February 2010.

Interview Details – i did a long application with a paper (250 words max) on diversity turned in my resume with a cover letter

Interview Question – top weaknesses   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!