Google Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 11, 2015

3.4

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. Received an email from a recruiter 2 days later to schedule a phone screen. Phone screen was standard; walked through my resume, had ample opportunity to ask the recruiter questions. The recruiter was very nice and transparent about the interview process. During the phone screen, the recruiter told me the hiring manager had glanced at my resume and already decided he wanted to schedule an interview with me. We scheduled that within one day and I had my interview 2 weeks later. The interview was supposed to be on Google Hangouts. I was unable to join the Hangout until the interviewer joined 8 minutes late due to some security settings the interviewer thought. The audio then echoed, and the interviewer (a hiring manager) told me we would scrap the Hangout and just talk on the phone. I held my composure through the technical difficulties and we briefly walked through my resume and experience. The hiring manager did not ask any specific follow up questions on my experience, and moved on to a few case questions (can't disclose due to NDA). We spent the majority of the interview on case questions and the interviewer gave me no specific feedback nor an indication of whether he liked or did not like my answers. He was then rushed to another call and I only had time to ask him one question--I asked him what qualities successful people currently in the role have. He listed them for me, and I thought I nailed every one of them. My recruiter got back to me 4 days later to tell me that my interviewer had decided to move forward with other applicants who had more experience than me. I have about a year and a half of direct experience, but I guess when you are applying to Google you are bound to be competing with hundreds of other applicants and someone will always have more experience than you. Unfortunately that was the only feedback--just that while I did have the correct experience, I just didn't have enough years of said experience. I found it interesting that they strung me along through a case interview only to decide to turn me down based on something they could have gathered by looking at my resume. The recruiter was very nice, though, and said she would reach out to me if future openings came up that I would be a fit for.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Great questions, compelling process with and engaging HC expert who was humble but and obvious leader in her field of expertise. The questions were stimulating but not too difficult

Interview Questions

• What have your created that was new to your organization contributing to growth   Answer Question

Advertising Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

After rescheduling 3 phone interviews, Google called finally got in touch with me. They wanted a complete description of my undergraduate experience (my brief overview was not sufficient and asked for more details) and a full explanation of my qualifications as an advertising operations manager at a publisher in Oakland.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any questions that seemed difficult. They were surprisingly easy.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

This review is in regards to my second phone interview for the product manager position. I uploaded my review for the first phone interview on March 19, 2014 if you would like to see that one as well. I was contacted by the recruiter saying my first interviewer thought I would be good for the role, but was unable to determine my level of product creativity. So we set up a second interview with another PM. It was not your typical Google interview. He only asked me two questions. 1. Tell me about a product/project you managed that you feel most represents your skill set as a PM. 2. If you were to come on as a PM at Google what would your process be for determining what lies ahead and needs to be accomplished (My answer focused on acquiring insights from my engineering team, having discussion with subject matter experts, and using Google's extensive amount of data to create actionable metrics). I've been invited to Mountain View for the in person interviews in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted on how those interviews are.

Interview Questions

• He led off the interview by asking me what questions I had for him. I was caught slightly off guard as I was expecting to be put through ringer. In my previous interview there had only been time for two of my questions, so I didn't have that many prepared. In this particular interview about 30-40 minutes of the hour long interview was devoted to questions I had for him, so I had to come up with a lot of them on the fly. I believe he was also assessing my Product Management knowledge based upon the kinds of questions I was asking.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn in early October, total process took about 4 months. The recruiter contacted me 4-5 weeks after my initial application. We set up a phone interview, but the earliest available date was mid-December. Phone interview was brief and pretty simple (basic data structures / algorithms stuff), and I was asked for an onsite interview just a couple hours after completing this. The onsite interview had to wait until January, however, due to the holiday schedule. Arrived at the Google office on the morning of the interview and was met (about 10 minutes late) by what turned out to be my first interviewer (an engineer, who didn't seem to know his way around the office). After 45 minutes, the interview ends abruptly and new person walks in. This is the basic pattern for the whole day (it's a 6 hour process, including lunch in the commissary): for the most part, each interview was pretty casual and the difficulty level was not nearly what I expected -- nearly all the questions were object-oriented design and basic algorithms (not even any graph theory, which I was anticipating). I felt pretty good about my performance overall, although I probably spent more time with certain problems than I should have -- it was difficult to get a sense of proper pacing since each interviewer had a vastly different demeanor and the range of problems varied from simple recall to complex problem solving. About 2 weeks after my interview, I received a call from the recruiter who simply said that I had not been selected at this time. She was polite and apologetic, but could offer no actionable feedback. Overall, my interactions with Google employees were friendly and relatively prompt. I felt the process took far too long, but I guess this is to be expected for such a large company. I also feel that the peer review system of interviewing left me almost completely in the dark about how well I performed. It is also somewhat odd that at no point in the process was I made aware of which team I was being considered for.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any questions that were surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Two over the phone interviews. One with current employee in same position. Second with recruitment manager. It wasn't necessarily Google centered - moreso they wanted to know your background in working in a team environment.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any recruitment experience in any capacity?   Answer Question
    • How willing are you to be on year to year contract with little to no company benefits?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back after 2-3 weeks. They interviewed me over the phone and the following week they brought me into their local office for 3 more interviews. All the questions were fairly easy basic technical question interview except for one question concerning encryption. I know little to nothing about this certain one type of encryption so I just winged the question and thought they'll forgive me for not knowing one specific topic. However, they called me back 2 weeks later and told me that they were no longer going move forward with the process. I was pretty devastated but what can I do.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview started with a non-technical phone interview with a recruiter -- easy, standard stuff. A week later was a technical phone screen. We had a shared Google Doc and I had to implement a HashMap. Up until now, things were ok. I had some issues with how the in-person reviews were run. Most of the questions were reasonable, but the interviewers clearly lacked any sort of experience in running an interview.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm for integer multiplication   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

It was 1 hour technical phone interview. Questions about algorithms and certain data structures about hash maps, you actually code with the interviewer on a google doc. Ask questions if something is unclear, they want to know that your thinking and not just assuming things.

Interview Questions

• If you have a ransom letter and magazines, can you construct the ransom letter from the words in the magazine.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Interviewed for a Software Engineer position. Two phone screens and then an on-site with five engineers. Everything went extremely well. Solved all the whiteboard coding problems. Also had a non-coding puzzle that I didn't entirely finish but had made progress on deconstucting/solving. Interviewers were nice, engaging and all had unique personalities. I left that day feeling extremely confident that I had done really well. Fast forward three weeks (minor nit -- the recruiter disappeared for two weeks w/o any contact -- very unprofessional. She did apologize later.) and I get a call from the recruiter saying that they will not be moving forward. I was shocked, to say the least. If that wasn't an outstanding interview on my part, then I don't know what is. Anyway, got the standard "We can't give you any feedback for legal reasons but feel free to apply again in 12-18 months". Based on all the interview experiences here, I wouldn't really sweat it too much if you don't get an offer and you believe you did well. As has been noted in the past, Google's interview process seems to be susceptible to false negatives and they can afford to turn good people away (which is certainly their right). Oh well, their loss :-)