Google

Getting the Interview

53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – The entire process was the best interview I've ever had. I love the brain teasers. I think they are a great way to tell if a person is a quality engineer. I also think they are a great way to tell if a person works well in a team and can build scalable software.

Interview Question – If you were a platypus stuck in a dumpster and your feet were made out of butter, how would escape?   Answer Question

Engineering
Mountain View, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in August 2008.

Interview Details – The interviewers were extremely bright and talented engineers. It was fun working out technical questions with them and their level of questions gave me some insight into their technical aptitude.

Interview Question – refuse to discuss interview questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimum negotiation

San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2010.

Interview Details – After recruiter's phone call with general organizational questions, I had short technical phone interview.
Interviewer was late for 10 minutes, thus we talked only 30-35 min. For this time he was able to ask me not very much: some of my previous experience, most difficult bug I've faced recently, and one technical question with coding in shared doc. After that he let me to ask him something about google. He answered one question and finished interview, so I had no change to fund out everything I planned. Also I had a feeling, the guy was not interested to be there, coz he was not leading me through resolution process and talked very little. Also his communication skills could be better - I hardly understood his questions in Indian English and asked to repeat several times. Google should sent better skilled and more open English speakers to interview, IMHO.
I successfully resolved technical coding question in two different ways (time and memory efficient) with commenting my resolution thoughts, but have got negative response from recruiter in 1 week.

Interview Question – Write a code to find out if two string words are anagrams   View Answers (4)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Santa Monica, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was approached by a Google recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. After an initial phone conversation to assess me and my proclivities, they arranged a couple of interviews. The interview in Santa Monica consisted of an in-person interview with the hiring manager and lasted for almost 2 hours. The guy was intelligent and sincere. He tested my knowledge, which was adequate for the position. Unfortunately, the position was not interesting enough for me, and we agreed that it wasn't a good fit. Very pleasant experience, exciting company, and I hope there are other departments that would be a better fit.

Interview Question – What is your familiarity with Google Goggles?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in March 2009.

Interview Details – very positive. Programming and brain teasers questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – very smooth and pleasant

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview Details – got a phone interview for a new grad position from Google. recruiter mailed me to setup an interview. she asked me to choose a week and asked me for the best time to call in that week. interviewer was from Google, NY. He called on time and was friendly. So he asked me about my previous projects and soon. After 5 min of that, he jumped into the questions. he asked me to open the Google docs. then he asked me which language i was comfortable with, i was good at java, so told him that. So he asked me a question involving algorithms then gave me a problem to solve. it was a trick question. i failed to recognize it and misunderstood the question completely. i solved the question for what i understood. he didn't say whether it was wrong, and asked me to write the code for my solution. i wrote the java code. he wanted me to optimize it. i did it. finally i asked some random questions about his work and Google. when interview was done, i had a good feeling about my answer. later i was discussing it with my friend, that's when it strike me, the answer was so so so simple. i over did it. so all hopes were done with after that. one week later, they told me i am not good enough.
i think, it was a pretty good experience over all. i was nervous, this was my first interview ever and that may be the reason i wasn't able to think straight.

Interview Question – tell about the problems faced while doing the projects in past?   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in March 2009.

Interview Details – a lot of questions in phone screen. waited 3 weeks before on site. there I met with 5 people. They asked me various question to test technical, functional, behavior skills. It also included a couple of famous Google brain puzzles.

Interview Questions

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in October 2009.

Interview Details – People were friendly, there were easy interview questions about all kinds of fun stuff like trees, searching, arrays, optimizing code, etc.

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen was good, done via Google Docs. All about Trees.

Interview consisted of several whiteboard-problem solving sessions; more trees, hash-tables.

6 interviews in total. 4 went well, 2 not so well. Last 2 were with people with very poor interpersonal skills... not sure if that was part of the test... I would not have accepted an offer anyway due to (a) location [Mountain View is very expensive, I found out while visiting], (b) office layout [everyone is crammed in to very small places], (c) attitude of last 2 interviewers.... what if one of those was my boss?

And the food wasn't *that* great :)

Interview Question – Explain how a debugger works   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interview Details – I sent my resume into google without reviewing the site or google job requirements. I was called for a 1st level phone screening which was easy. The recruiter was very nice and got back to me quickly and we moved onto the 1st phone screening.

I have been non hands on for a few months so the phone screening was a bit more challenging then it should have been. The interviewer wanted in depth answers like how the struct and bits were aligned.

Note: review your C and comp sci {algorithms, unix system engineering, etc}. I strongly suggest reviewing 'Design of the Unix Operating System' before going into this interview.

Interview Question – How would you sort an array of one billions integers?   View Answers (5)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Engineer interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.