Google Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

Engineer Interview

Interview

The entire process was the best interview I've ever had. I love the brain teasers. I think they are a great way to tell if a person is a quality engineer. I also think they are a great way to tell if a person works well in a team and can build scalable software.

Interview Questions

• If you were a platypus stuck in a dumpster and your feet were made out of butter, how would escape?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was approached by a Google recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. After an initial phone conversation to assess me and my proclivities, they arranged a couple of interviews. The interview in Santa Monica consisted of an in-person interview with the hiring manager and lasted for almost 2 hours. The guy was intelligent and sincere. He tested my knowledge, which was adequate for the position. Unfortunately, the position was not interesting enough for me, and we agreed that it wasn't a good fit. Very pleasant experience, exciting company, and I hope there are other departments that would be a better fit.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Atlanta, GA) in February 2011.

Interview

got a phone interview for a new grad position from Google. recruiter mailed me to setup an interview. she asked me to choose a week and asked me for the best time to call in that week. interviewer was from Google, NY. He called on time and was friendly. So he asked me about my previous projects and soon. After 5 min of that, he jumped into the questions. he asked me to open the Google docs. then he asked me which language i was comfortable with, i was good at java, so told him that. So he asked me a question involving algorithms then gave me a problem to solve. it was a trick question. i failed to recognize it and misunderstood the question completely. i solved the question for what i understood. he didn't say whether it was wrong, and asked me to write the code for my solution. i wrote the java code. he wanted me to optimize it. i did it. finally i asked some random questions about his work and Google. when interview was done, i had a good feeling about my answer. later i was discussing it with my friend, that's when it strike me, the answer was so so so simple. i over did it. so all hopes were done with after that. one week later, they told me i am not good enough. i think, it was a pretty good experience over all. i was nervous, this was my first interview ever and that may be the reason i wasn't able to think straight.

Interview Questions

• tell about the problems faced while doing the projects in past?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview

good interview process....1 telephonic round, 3 face to face rounds of interview..1 manager round of interview..1 hr round of interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screen was good, done via Google Docs. All about Trees. Interview consisted of several whiteboard-problem solving sessions; more trees, hash-tables. 6 interviews in total. 4 went well, 2 not so well. Last 2 were with people with very poor interpersonal skills... not sure if that was part of the test... I would not have accepted an offer anyway due to (a) location [Mountain View is very expensive, I found out while visiting], (b) office layout [everyone is crammed in to very small places], (c) attitude of last 2 interviewers.... what if one of those was my boss? And the food wasn't *that* great :)

Interview Questions

• Explain how a debugger works   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

I sent my resume into google without reviewing the site or google job requirements. I was called for a 1st level phone screening which was easy. The recruiter was very nice and got back to me quickly and we moved onto the 1st phone screening. I have been non hands on for a few months so the phone screening was a bit more challenging then it should have been. The interviewer wanted in depth answers like how the struct and bits were aligned. Note: review your C and comp sci {algorithms, unix system engineering, etc}. I strongly suggest reviewing 'Design of the Unix Operating System' before going into this interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort an array of one billions integers?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Unlike many others have mentioned, the interviewers were all very pleasant and respectful. The whole process feels like a giant aptitude test, but no crazy brain teasers like many suspect. That means everything listed on your resume is subject to scrutiny. Some questions were not formulated the best way and therefore seemed trickier than they really were. If you don't feel well enough on the day of the interview, I suggest you try to reschedule. You really need to make sure your mind will be at its sharpest on the day of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you know two proportions from the same population for answers to the same question are significantly different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Very competent interviewers, be sure you know the "tricky" algorithms and "big O". A very positive, though unsuccessful, process.

Interview Questions

• The key thing was understanding how the java garbage collector worked.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

My on-site interview had 5 rounds. The questions were quite simple. I went in expecting to be grilled on a lot of theoretical computer science, but the questions were of a very practical nature. All the interviewers were extremely nice and helpful with giving hints when I got stuck. Overall, a very positive experience even though I didn't get hired.

Interview Questions

• A lot of whiteboard coding. I found the algorithm & datastructures questions to quite easy. I did badly in one of the coding rounds, mostly because I was not used to somebody looking over when I'm writing code and being conscious, made me make some very silly mistakes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Got the email from the recruiter that my resume has been short listed. Then she called me and discussed my back ground and the opportunity. Of course, thanked me for my interest in Google :) I had 2 phone interviews and then I was called for onsite interview. I met with 4 different googlers. Interviews were relaxed, and more of brainstorming sessions. I loved the whole process. Way to go Google!