Google

Google Engineering Interview Questions

3.5

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in March 2010.

first a phone interview with some technical questions that were straightforward. invited to the googleplex for 1:1 interview with 4 people. pretty relaxed interview about background and skillsets.

informed a week later that it was not a fit for the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

First there is a phone interview. Then you go to the company campus and sit in a room and stressed people turn up late to ask you a series of technical questions of increasing difficulty. Some of the interviewers were interested in thinking about their problems, but most were acting more like it was their duty to come to these meetings. One interviewer was outright rude when I pointed out that he was in fact wrong in his solution to a problem he posed. Generally the process felt mechanised, impersonal and ineffective. Having worked in similar firms and been involved in the hiring process there it felt that Google was more interested in being different than actually finding good candidates. The food on offer was so on, nothing special compared with other bay area high tech companies.

Interview Questions

Took too long to make an offer.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

Lots of red tape and bureaucracy to get to the on-site. Then a bunch of really good questions in a series of 5 one on one interviews. Some basic questions but then lots of algorithmic stuff, pointer arithmetic, optimization questions, scaling questions. LOTS of questions about how to make things work well on 100k+ computers at once. They also do a surprisingly good job of selling a company that practically sells itself.

Interview Questions
    • Solve the "game of life" problem in C++ so that it will be both OO and efficient. Scalability and parallelism are also pluses.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

Google basically does not care what you have done, and doesn't interview you for any particular position. They mainly want to know if you are talented at answering academic computer science questions. Does this build a good company? I don't think so, but it's up to them to decide that, I guess. Six interviewers asked me incredibly detailed data structure and algorithm questions. Nothing that anyone asked me would have distinguished me from a recent graduate. I thought I did pretty well, but apparently not well enough. My recruiter sounded as surprised as I was that I didn't get an offer. Apparently anyone who interviews you can veto - so it's everyone's loss that one of my interviewers was a terrible interviewer. Be sure to buy, and at least skim, a copy of "Programming Interviews Exposed; Secrets to Landing Your Next Job" (Mongan/Suojanen/Giguere?), recommended directly by Google recruiters. Best of luck.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you have a lot of numbers and you want to sort them. What do you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2009.

Applied for an entry-level engineering position online. Was contacted pretty quickly by an HR rep, who checked my basic credentials (school, when I could start, etc) and scheduled two phone interviews with engineers.

I was expecting some of those weird "Google" questions like "How many ping pong balls can fit in a school bus?" but apparently they don't ask anything like that anymore. Most of the questions were about algorithms and data structures, so definitely brush up on those. (Hint: when in doubt, just say you'll use a hash table)

Interview Questions
    • How can you find a cycle in a singly-linked list (a place where the last node links back to a previous node)?   View Answer
    • Given two arrays of integers, return a new array containing only the common elements.   View Answer
    • How would you write an algorithm to search across many machines?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2009.

Don't bother reading these questions. It won't help. Google's interviews are set up such that the questions either have impossible answers, or the problems are changed so much looking them up won't matter. You just have to have very solid computer science fundamentals and show enthusiasm. For such a large company, the interview process feels so ad hoc that it almost deterred me from accepting an offer. I ended up accepting, but I'm hoping the interview process will be improved so others won't make a decision the other way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2009.

People were friendly, there were easy interview questions about all kinds of fun stuff like trees, searching, arrays, optimizing code, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2009.

It takes FOREVER from when you apply to get an interview (in the ballpark of 4 months, easily). You'll get contacted by various HR people, who don't really coordinate with each other.

The interviews themselves were fairly difficult technical questions; I'd recommend studying extensively and being systematic in your approach.

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum rectangle (in terms of area) under a histogram in linear time.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in June 2009.

I interviewed for a network architect position, stating clearly at the beginning of the interview that I was involved in application and TCP level performance analysis. However, the interviewer kept questing me about layer 2 material because that's what he knew. It was clearly not the right role for me, but I decided not to continue the interview process after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in March 2009.

a lot of questions in phone screen. waited 3 weeks before on site. there I met with 5 people. They asked me various question to test technical, functional, behavior skills. It also included a couple of famous Google brain puzzles.