Google

Average Difficulty
53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2010.

Interview Details – Unlike many others have mentioned, the interviewers were all very pleasant and respectful. The whole process feels like a giant aptitude test, but no crazy brain teasers like many suspect. That means everything listed on your resume is subject to scrutiny. Some questions were not formulated the best way and therefore seemed trickier than they really were. If you don't feel well enough on the day of the interview, I suggest you try to reschedule. You really need to make sure your mind will be at its sharpest on the day of the interview.

Interview Question – How do you know two proportions from the same population for answers to the same question are significantly different?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very competent interviewers, be sure you know the "tricky" algorithms and "big O".

A very positive, though unsuccessful, process.

Interview Question – The key thing was understanding how the java garbage collector worked.   View Answers (2)

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2008.

Interview Details – It was just HR calling and normal interview
questions such as

"tic-tac-toe or paper-rock-scissor, which is a better game" and of course "have you played any Zynga games and what are your favorites". Some follow-up questions include "what metrics are important to measure success of a social game?"

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in June 2010.

Interview Details – My on-site interview had 5 rounds. The questions were quite simple. I went in expecting to be grilled on a lot of theoretical computer science, but the questions were of a very practical nature. All the interviewers were extremely nice and helpful with giving hints when I got stuck. Overall, a very positive experience even though I didn't get hired.

Interview Question – A lot of whiteboard coding. I found the algorithm & datastructures questions to quite easy. I did badly in one of the coding rounds, mostly because I was not used to somebody looking over when I'm writing code and being conscious, made me make some very silly mistakes.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2010.

Interview Details – Got the email from the recruiter that my resume has been short listed. Then she called me and discussed my back ground and the opportunity. Of course, thanked me for my interest in Google :) I had 2 phone interviews and then I was called for onsite interview. I met with 4 different googlers. Interviews were relaxed, and more of brainstorming sessions. I loved the whole process. Way to go Google!

Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in March 2010.

Interview Details – first a phone interview with some technical questions that were straightforward. invited to the googleplex for 1:1 interview with 4 people. pretty relaxed interview about background and skillsets.

informed a week later that it was not a fit for the position.

Interview Question – what is your worst fear?   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – First there is a phone interview. Then you go to the company campus and sit in a room and stressed people turn up late to ask you a series of technical questions of increasing difficulty. Some of the interviewers were interested in thinking about their problems, but most were acting more like it was their duty to come to these meetings. One interviewer was outright rude when I pointed out that he was in fact wrong in his solution to a problem he posed. Generally the process felt mechanised, impersonal and ineffective. Having worked in similar firms and been involved in the hiring process there it felt that Google was more interested in being different than actually finding good candidates. The food on offer was so on, nothing special compared with other bay area high tech companies.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Took too long to make an offer.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in June 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a network architect position, stating clearly at the beginning of the interview that I was involved in application and TCP level performance analysis. However, the interviewer kept questing me about layer 2 material because that's what he knew. It was clearly not the right role for me, but I decided not to continue the interview process after that.

Mountain View, CA

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in September 2008.

Interview Details – very few steps with a lot of waiting in between. the interviews were fairly rigorous, and the interviewers very smart, but the focus is very much on academics, and it's very easy to fall between the cracks and be forgotten. call every week and it will still be months between steps.

Interview Question – count the number of bits set in a bitmap of arbitrary size.   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Lots of red tape and bureaucracy to get to the on-site. Then a bunch of really good questions in a series of 5 one on one interviews. Some basic questions but then lots of algorithmic stuff, pointer arithmetic, optimization questions, scaling questions. LOTS of questions about how to make things work well on 100k+ computers at once. They also do a surprisingly good job of selling a company that practically sells itself.

Interview Question – Solve the "game of life" problem in C++ so that it will be both OO and efficient. Scalability and parallelism are also pluses.   View Answer