Google Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

a lot of questions in phone screen. waited 3 weeks before on site. there I met with 5 people. They asked me various question to test technical, functional, behavior skills. It also included a couple of famous Google brain puzzles.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

very positive. Programming and brain teasers questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very smooth and pleasant

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

very few steps with a lot of waiting in between. the interviews were fairly rigorous, and the interviewers very smart, but the focus is very much on academics, and it's very easy to fall between the cracks and be forgotten. call every week and it will still be months between steps.

Interview Questions

• count the number of bits set in a bitmap of arbitrary size.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in September 2008.

Interview

I got a call to schedule a initial phone interview. It was scheduled in a week, but the questions they asked me was somewhat unanswerable under my knowledge. So I failed. I want them to go little easy on the interview and try to get to know the candidate a bit more than just asking the whole bunch of difficult questions. I don't like that!!!

Interview Questions

• Given a time-ordered log of user visits to web pages find the most common 3-page sequence   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

The interviewers were extremely bright and talented engineers. It was fun working out technical questions with them and their level of questions gave me some insight into their technical aptitude.

Interview Questions

• refuse to discuss interview questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimum negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

It was just HR calling and normal interview questions such as "tic-tac-toe or paper-rock-scissor, which is a better game" and of course "have you played any Zynga games and what are your favorites". Some follow-up questions include "what metrics are important to measure success of a social game?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2007.

Interview

Google contacted me, they had my resume from an old interview many years ago. After a few email exchanges about available positions, a phone screen was arranged. During the phone screen they asked technical questions to gauge my skills. It looks like I did well because after that I was invited for an on-site interview. If I remember correctly, first I was interviewed by 2-3 people (like a panel interview) and one of them was dialing in from a different location. They asked mostly general and architecture questions. After that I had two one on one interviews. The first one was with a software engineer who was very polite and asked me about general programming stuff. The second one was with a network / sysadmin but he was rather rude, and flatly refused to answer any of my questions during the course of the interview. It was like, I had to answer questions only, and not ask anything. I felt very uncomfortable and disappointed.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google in January 2007.

Interview

Referral by former coworker led to contact by Google Recruiter. Telephone interview (45 mins) with recruiter. Telephone interview (90 Mins) with member of hiring group. in person, 1:1 interviews with hiring group, 5 interviews, 45mins each over two separate dates

Interview Questions

• One fellow asked very specific questions about exact syntax of bash commands and keywords.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Very grueling process. Make sure you prepare and go ahead and have done extensive research. Emailed CV then phone interview then hangouts. Get googlers to refer you too.give examples always

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The HR rep was very professional and responsive to all of my requests. The interview process was very well done. The questions they asked were very tricky and challenging but all relevant the the job I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA not to disclose interview questions -but they were very standard and inline with questions you would expect from these large tech companies.   Answer Question