Google Engineering Interview Questions

3.5

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Google basically does not care what you have done, and doesn't interview you for any particular position. They mainly want to know if you are talented at answering academic computer science questions. Does this build a good company? I don't think so, but it's up to them to decide that, I guess. Six interviewers asked me incredibly detailed data structure and algorithm questions. Nothing that anyone asked me would have distinguished me from a recent graduate. I thought I did pretty well, but apparently not well enough. My recruiter sounded as surprised as I was that I didn't get an offer. Apparently anyone who interviews you can veto - so it's everyone's loss that one of my interviewers was a terrible interviewer. Be sure to buy, and at least skim, a copy of "Programming Interviews Exposed; Secrets to Landing Your Next Job" (Mongan/Suojanen/Giguere?), recommended directly by Google recruiters. Best of luck.

Interview Questions
  • Let's say you have a lot of numbers and you want to sort them. What do you do?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2009.

Applied for an entry-level engineering position online. Was contacted pretty quickly by an HR rep, who checked my basic credentials (school, when I could start, etc) and scheduled two phone interviews with engineers.

I was expecting some of those weird "Google" questions like "How many ping pong balls can fit in a school bus?" but apparently they don't ask anything like that anymore. Most of the questions were about algorithms and data structures, so definitely brush up on those. (Hint: when in doubt, just say you'll use a hash table)

Interview Questions
    • How can you find a cycle in a singly-linked list (a place where the last node links back to a previous node)?   View Answer
    • Given two arrays of integers, return a new array containing only the common elements.   View Answer
    • How would you write an algorithm to search across many machines?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in September 2008.

I got a call to schedule a initial phone interview. It was scheduled in a week, but the questions they asked me was somewhat unanswerable under my knowledge. So I failed.
    I want them to go little easy on the interview and try to get to know the candidate a bit more than just asking the whole bunch of difficult questions. I don't like that!!!

Interview Questions
    • Given a time-ordered log of user visits to web pages find the most common 3-page sequence   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in January 2007.

Google contacted me, they had my resume from an old interview many years ago.
    After a few email exchanges about available positions, a phone screen was arranged.
    During the phone screen they asked technical questions to gauge my skills.
     It looks like I did well because after that I was invited for an on-site interview.
    If I remember correctly, first I was interviewed by 2-3 people (like a panel interview)
    and one of them was dialing in from a different location. They asked mostly general and
    architecture questions. After that I had two one on one interviews. The first one was with
    a software engineer who was very polite and asked me about general programming stuff.
    The second one was with a network / sysadmin but he was rather rude, and flatly refused
    to answer any of my questions during the course of the interview. It was like, I had to answer
    questions only, and not ask anything. I felt very uncomfortable and disappointed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2009.

Don't bother reading these questions. It won't help. Google's interviews are set up such that the questions either have impossible answers, or the problems are changed so much looking them up won't matter. You just have to have very solid computer science fundamentals and show enthusiasm. For such a large company, the interview process feels so ad hoc that it almost deterred me from accepting an offer. I ended up accepting, but I'm hoping the interview process will be improved so others won't make a decision the other way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in July 2009.

It takes FOREVER from when you apply to get an interview (in the ballpark of 4 months, easily). You'll get contacted by various HR people, who don't really coordinate with each other.

The interviews themselves were fairly difficult technical questions; I'd recommend studying extensively and being systematic in your approach.

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum rectangle (in terms of area) under a histogram in linear time.   View Answers (2)

Engineer Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in January 2007.

Referral by former coworker led to contact by Google Recruiter.
    Telephone interview (45 mins) with recruiter.
    Telephone interview (90 Mins) with member of hiring group.
    in person, 1:1 interviews with hiring group, 5 interviews, 45mins each over two separate dates

Interview Questions
    • One fellow asked very specific questions about exact syntax of bash commands and keywords.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

The HR rep was very professional and responsive to all of my requests. The interview process was very well done. The questions they asked were very tricky and challenging but all relevant the the job I was applying for.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA not to disclose interview questions -but they were very standard and inline with questions you would expect from these large tech companies.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

interview was for the post of soft engineer in ggogle.company seeks students from IITs with cpi greater than 8.added to it ,it also expect the employee who is coming after selection of the interview is multi talented,thinker,sporty and intellegent.

Interview Questions
    Garima purthi was asking for a salary of min. 20 lakhs,but we were able to negotiate at 12 lakhs.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

I had many interviews and I felt that I answered everything very well but no offer.