Google Engineering Interview Questions

3.5

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2010.

Interview

I got called from a recruiter who was working an ex-colleague. It seems that they rely a lot on their employee referrals. There was 2 rounds of phone screens by the recruiter, who asked some basic technical questions. I was actually surprised by how well knowledgeable the recruiter is. Then I was arranged for a full day on site interview with 6 engineers. All reasonable interview questions. Some of them asked me about my experience listed on the resume while others gave standard coding tests. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• write a program to count the number of 1 digits in a number's binary representation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2010.

Interview

Got the job through college career website. There were two back to back interviews. The general format of the interview was that we were given a data structure based question. You had to suggest mukltiple solutions and finally state the most efficient solution of the set of answers. Ultimately the algorithm needed to be coded up. You could choose any programming language of preference.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hangzhou, Zhejiang (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Hangzhou, Zhejiang (China)) in January 2010.

Interview

After some routine project background check, interviewer asked a question to find the occurance of a given number in a sorted array: int getCount(int[] arr, int num) He was expecting O(logN) in worst case (the example he gave were: new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,}, 2, new int[] { 1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3}, 2, and new int[] {1,2,2,3,4,5,6,6,7,8,8,10}, 9 I didn't do well during the phone interview. Interviewer was very professional though.

Interview Questions

• how would you code the Fibonacci numbers in javascript   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview

one telephone, 1 day on-site, 5 engineers, each 45 mins. various problems from the interviewers themselves. Each problem needs to be solved by coding rather than describing the overview. Not specific algorithm to be answered, all are integrated in a virtual problem.

Interview Questions

• sorting, balance of searching tree.   1 Answer
    • file system design. How to organize the files efficiently. How to search them quickly and how to distinguish the files with same contents but different names.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2009.

Interview

First a recruiter contacted me via phone and email and asked for some basic information. She explained their hiring standard is looking for good generalist, so I'll be interviewing with several engineers from different teams. Then she arranged one round of phone screening with a person, who asked about my resume questions and some simple programming and design questions. Then next stay she contacted me for arranging an onsite. The onsite was with 6 engineers, from 3 year googler to googler from start-up, including a very senior engineer/researcher. They are all very kind and interview is quick-paced. On average each asked 3-5 questions covering algorithm, coding, knowledge, experience, design, and my research. They passed on a piece of paper to avoid asking same questions.

Interview Questions

• Out of my skillset, which aspect did I consider as my primary skill and they should consider a primary reason why they hire me.   Answer Question

Got a better offer from another company

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2009.

Interview

I applied on their website and they found a position relevant to my education and courses. They made me schedule a phone interview. The interview was for about 45 minutes and was heavy on the technical side. I managed to answer 75% of the questions but they declined my candidacy after the phone round. It took them 4 weeks to get back to me with the results.

Interview Questions

• If you were given the land prices in the Bay Area, what would you pick, the mean or the median? Why?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google in January 2009.

Interview

It was a phone screen for a software engineering position in Youtube (after it was long acquired by Google). The engineer who conducted the phone screen sets up an online collaboration program so that she can ask programming question and see what I type right away. This is more or less a standard phone screen process for Google nowdays.

Interview Questions

• Given a piece of html, write a program to extract the URL within an anchor tag   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2008.

Interview

About a month passed between submitting the application and being contacted about any interviews. An HR screener was scheduled. It was very straightforward. I was warned that the whole process would be about a month, which wouldn't be unreasonable for a large company--if it were true. I was told I would be phoned by the New York office for a technical interview. It was challenging enough, but not super difficult. Reasonable questions to see how you think. There was a "homework" programming assignment, but it was not too crazy. After this, the HR person waited so long to get back to me that I eventually checked in. I was told they didn't have enough information I should have another phone interview, this time from the Waterloo office. I was phone by a second person in New York, instead. Not a big deal, but it made them seem very disorganized. Even worse because it was almost exactly the same interview again. At least one of the technical questions was the same word for word. Another homework assignment followed, in the same vein as the first. The follow up this time was a bit faster and I was told that I could reapply in 9 or 10 months. Not a horrible experience, by any means, but they really need to streameline their process. Spending three months interviewing someone means you are going to miss out on a lot of good candidates because other offers will come their way. Also, it seemed like they either lost my results from the first interview or just forgot I had done it. Either way, it made them seem unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• The HR interview featured the standard sorts of "soft" questions designed to bring about elaboration on past experience. The techical interviews were very focused on data structures and algorithms. "Here's a problem. What approach would you use and why?"   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google in July 2008.

Interview

Great company, casual working environment, free food, onsite medical and other convenience services. Five interviews. Programming, algorithm, data structure, software design, C++, Linux, Java, web technology, interpersonal skills. Think on your feet, walk through your thinking process, not all questions have one solution, some can be solved multiple ways, think outside the box.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google in April 2008.

Interview

it was fairly easy interview. i got asked some programming questions. i don't think they were related my job but well i can understand them too.