Google

Average Difficulty
53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2010.

Interview Details – I got called from a recruiter who was working an ex-colleague. It seems that they rely a lot on their employee referrals. There was 2 rounds of phone screens by the recruiter, who asked some basic technical questions. I was actually surprised by how well knowledgeable the recruiter is.

Then I was arranged for a full day on site interview with 6 engineers. All reasonable interview questions. Some of them asked me about my experience listed on the resume while others gave standard coding tests. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Question – write a program to count the number of 1 digits in a number's binary representation.   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in August 2010.

Interview Details – first got an email from recruiter acknowledging the interest from google. Talked with recruiter over the phone for about 15 minutes, just general question "what kind of job you are having now?". Then recruiter set up a phone interview with an engineer. The phone interview lasted about 1 hour. The questions range from the work experience, the operating system questions to the coding questions.

Interview Question – why does interrupt need to turned off before taking spin lock   View Answers (2)

Engineering

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2008.

Interview Details – It's a long and challenging interview process. A few brain-teasers just to get warmed up, not sure whether those count or not. A lot of questions are from the real-life projects, asking you to solve it on the spot. Interviewers are quite smart. The best part is to take you to the free lunch at the Google cafe, you'll like it immediately.

Interview Question – Suppose the Europe operations suddenly lose 20% in terms of revenue, how could you find out what's going on, and what do you want to do to handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – overall very good package, so probably you don't have much room to negotiate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in July 2008.

Interview Details – Great company, casual working environment, free food, onsite medical and other convenience services. Five interviews. Programming, algorithm, data structure, software design, C++, Linux, Java, web technology, interpersonal skills. Think on your feet, walk through your thinking process, not all questions have one solution, some can be solved multiple ways, think outside the box.

Interview Question – Write a quicksort function.   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2008.

Interview Details – it was fairly easy interview. i got asked some programming questions. i don't think they were related my job but well i can understand them too.

Interview Questions

Engineer

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Google in March 2008.

Interview Details – Bunch of prima donna rookies who are trying to re-invent the wheel. Don't want input from any seasoned and well-experienced applicant. Not too many people with grey hair there. All from blue blood colleges complete with attitudes.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Engineering

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2008.

Interview Details – everything pretty standard. you can find a lot of similar interview posts online. starting with a 30 mins phone call, then HR follow-ups. And then get scheduled for on-site. During on-site, a panel of 5 people, taking about half a day with lunch.

Interview Question – tell me about your past coding experience   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2009.

Interview Details – It was a phone screen for a software engineering position in Youtube (after it was long acquired by Google). The engineer who conducted the phone screen sets up an online collaboration program so that she can ask programming question and see what I type right away. This is more or less a standard phone screen process for Google nowdays.

Interview Question – Given a piece of html, write a program to extract the URL within an anchor tag   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – one telephone, 1 day on-site, 5 engineers, each 45 mins. various problems from the interviewers themselves. Each problem needs to be solved by coding rather than describing the overview. Not specific algorithm to be answered, all are integrated in a virtual problem.

Interview Questions

• sorting, balance of searching tree.   View Answer
  • file system design. How to organize the files efficiently. How to search them quickly and how to distinguish the files with same contents but different names.   View Answer

Engineering

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2008.

Interview Details – About a month passed between submitting the application and being contacted about any interviews. An HR screener was scheduled. It was very straightforward.

I was warned that the whole process would be about a month, which wouldn't be unreasonable for a large company--if it were true.

I was told I would be phoned by the New York office for a technical interview. It was challenging enough, but not super difficult. Reasonable questions to see how you think. There was a "homework" programming assignment, but it was not too crazy.

After this, the HR person waited so long to get back to me that I eventually checked in. I was told they didn't have enough information I should have another phone interview, this time from the Waterloo office.

I was phone by a second person in New York, instead. Not a big deal, but it made them seem very disorganized. Even worse because it was almost exactly the same interview again. At least one of the technical questions was the same word for word. Another homework assignment followed, in the same vein as the first.

The follow up this time was a bit faster and I was told that I could reapply in 9 or 10 months.

Not a horrible experience, by any means, but they really need to streameline their process. Spending three months interviewing someone means you are going to miss out on a lot of good candidates because other offers will come their way.

Also, it seemed like they either lost my results from the first interview or just forgot I had done it. Either way, it made them seem unprofessional.

Interview Question – The HR interview featured the standard sorts of "soft" questions designed to bring about elaboration on past experience.
The techical interviews were very focused on data structures and algorithms. "Here's a problem. What approach would you use and why?"
  Answer Question