Google

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – interview process is grueling. case study exams are intense. recruiters are unpredictable and unreliable.

Interview Question – what is your favorite product and list the liabilities that may be associated with the product.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in November 2012.

Interview Details – The process began with two phone interviews with two different team members. Each interview was 30 minutes. It was expected to know the Google business model. I was asked questions such as, "How would you forecast revenue for a new tablet model?"

Then I was asked to come to Mountain View were I had two more interviews with two more different people. They were extremely nice and I felt very comfortable during the interviews.

I was then asked for additional information which would be compiled into a portfolio by my recruiter. I emailed her answers and also spoke with her on the phone for about 30 minutes. This was then sent to a team of VPs who make the final decision.

Interview Question – Google recieves X dollars of revenue from the US per Y searches and X revenue in UK per Y searchs. However, in Canada Google only gets 0.5X revenue per Y searches. How would you conduct a financial analysis to determine the cause for this revenue differential?   View Answers (2)

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Got a response from an online application in two days. Spoke with a HR manager first about why I wanted to work there. Then had a call from someone on the team with a case question relating to financial analysis within a week. Was then flown to MV for a 2.5 hr interview with 5 people from the team, bottom up in chain of command.

Interview Question – Half fit, half case questions. Depending on the position, they will ask relevant case questions. They don't do the what would you do if 'shrunk to the size of a quarter and chucked into a blender' problems.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – Made to final rounds, 3 rounds of interviews. 1st round with HR, pretty standard. Second round with finance manager, asked mostly questions regarding how to analyze business strategy and presenting business/financial metrics. ended with a question about pricing google adwords. final round was 5 back to back interviews with analysts, manager, and director, consisted of your traditional brain teasers, analyzing potential partnerships, cost/benefit of introducing new products, and asked a lot about my prior startup experience.

Interview Question – No questions were really that difficult. The only brain teaser that was a bit challenging and threw me off a bit initially:

5 stacks of coins that looks identical. each stack has 5 coins each. 4 of those stacks weigh the same, 1 stack has coins that weigh exactly 1 pound less. using a digital scale once, find out the position of the stack that is less weight.
  View Answers (3)

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2012.

Interview Details – Currently work for a top consulting firm. Was contacted by a recruiter and asked about interest regarding an open position. Interviewed on the phone with a recruiter for an initial screen. After this, had a phone interview with a department manager hiring for the open position. Was referred to another position after it was determined that the first role was not an ideal fit. Completed a second phone interview for the next position with a manager which went very well and resulted in an invitation to a final round on-site interview. The final interview was quite difficult, with 5 case studies and a puzzle question over a 4 hour period with a 15 minute break. The interviewers did not spend much time looking at my personality and instead focused primarily on case studies and why google questions. 2 days after the interview was informed they were selecting another interviewee and that they would remain in touch about future opportunities. Overall the experience was incredibly time consuming and slightly disorganized.

Interview Question – Why this role, why google   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – The first phone interview I had was with the recruiter. She asked me to go through my resume to make sure that I was a good fit for the company and position. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. She also asked me to walk through my resume. She did not ask me any technical questions. All the questions were to ensure that I would fit well with the company and position. My three phone interview was with the hiring manager's manager. He asked all the technical questions.

After the 3 phone interviews, I flew out to California to interview with the hiring manager, the hiring manager's manager, the director of finance, and a business partner. Be prepared to know the financials and business model of the company.

Interview Questions

• -If you projected a $500M expense and the variance came in at $1M, what are some of the explanations for why that is happening? (Be prepared to give more than 3 scenarios).   Answer Question
  • -If operating margin decreased from a year before, name some reasons why this could be happening.   Answer Question
  • If you were the CFO of the company, which products are you most excited about and why?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview Details – I just had 1 interview with the HR. Didn't get past that. She asked about my GPA both in undergrad and grad schools. Other questions:
1. Why Google?
2. Why this role?
3. About the previous role.
She said it was a very competitive position so it was important to highlight relevant "analysis" experience as much as possible. I couldn't get past this stage because it wasn't possible for me to join asap as they wanted.

Interview Question – She wanted details of GPA and courses I had undertaken in my undergrad school. Wasn't difficult but unexpected.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2010.

Interview Details – got phone call from the recruiter at Google, then another interview over the phone, one week later they flew me to mountain view for 4 back to back interview. And another week later, they told me not to give me an offer but didn't give any reason.

The people I have spoke with over the phone and in person are very nice, but nothing particular strike me to eager to work for them either. Google campus is very neat, but didn't get a chance to have their free lunch.

They asked me brain teaser questions as well as technical questions.

Interview Question – why you want to work for Google   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to a recruiter through our school's online job board and got a call a few days later to schedule a phone interview. I was asked to go through my resume and then asked a few technical questions about SQL and statistical inference. After botching up a question or two, I was asked how long it would take me to learn SQL and was invited on site about a week later.

On-site interview was with 6 different people. I was not asked a single technical question during the whole thing! Most asked me to go through my resume and a couple asked, "why Google?" I did OK through the first five interviews but did not do so well with the last interviewer, who happened to be the director and hiring manager for the position. We went downstairs to Google's famed cafeteria but I didn't have a chance to enjoy my lunch as I had to eat while the interview took place! He asked me several questions about Google's source of revenue, how to set production quotas, what information is most helpful in making a decision, and how to delegate. The last interviewer was generally indifferent and did not seem too inviting.

I called a week later and was told that they would not be moving forward with my application. According to my recruiter, I was competing with 5 others and was not the best qualified candidate.

Interview Questions

• How much did Google make from online advertising last year?   Answer Question
  • How would you summarize the performance of online sales operations to a manager with little or no technical background?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2010.

Interview Details – December - Phone interview.
The interviewer was BA/MBA Harvard, but he was pretty nice.Just general questions likewhy google and where do you fit in. One brainteaser- how many trains run daily for new jersey to new york

Februaru- On site
3 back-to-back 30 mins interviews

Interview Question – How much does a new york cabbie make in a day?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.