Google

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interaction Designer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Start with a phone screen, and the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, talk about my portfolio, and finally ask questions to them. Very ordinary interview process. The interviewer sounds bored from the very beginning though, and the whole conversation makes me feel we were just trying to accomplish the interview task.

Interview Question – Your thoughts about a Google product that you use.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend, and got an email from a recruiter the very next day to schedule a phone interview.

Phone interview: This interview was with an interaction designer. The interview was very positive and conversational. No trick questions.

Skills test: A 3-hour interaction design exercise. This was actually a lot of fun!

However, I didn't make it past the skills test, but it was a very positive experience overall. The recruiter was super nice and prompt with updates.

Interview Question – I cannot disclose any specific questions.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a Google recruiter via LinkedIn. First we went over my background and what I was looking for in my next role. After speaking with the first recruiter, I was passed on to a recruiter at their Mountain View office.

Speaking with that recruiter we went over my background again, what I was looking for, and some potential positions. I was also passed along to different teams waiting to see if someone would speak to me.

After about 3 weeks of waiting, I was finally set up for my first phone interview with another Interaction Designer.

The interview was very casual and easy going. The person I spoke with was really easy to talk to, almost like I was speaking with a fellow colleague. We went over my background, a few questions regarding interaction design (process, research, etc), and a few front-end questions (HTML, CSS, coding practices) as well. The interview was supposed to only last 45 mins but ended up going a little over. The person I spoke with also shared some insights about working at Google and also about themselves and how they got into the role.

After waiting an additional 2-3 weeks I finally received my feedback. And while I did not go on to the next step, the process was very thorough and accommodating.

The only "negative" I have is that Google's interview process is known to be stretched out for a long period of time. I waited about 2-3 weeks between each step. Not so bad, but can be for others who are in a crunch looking for the next opportunity right away.

Interview Question – No difficult or gotcha questions. The questions my interviewer asked were all very standard.   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – A friend who works at Google submitted my resume internally and I got an email a couple of days later setting up a phone interview. That interview took place about a week later, lasted 45 minutes, and then a few days later I got a call from the internal recruiter notifying me that they were not going to "go forward with my candidacy at this time."

Interview Question – While reviewing one of the websites in my portfolio, she asked a question about a detail in the design and wanted to know why I made that "choice." She wanted to know why I put the two-letter state abbreviation in front of the state name in a dropdown menu, rather than the other way around, on a specialized contact form that perhaps 50 people in the country would have any reason to use, if they visited at all.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Typical Interview process from what I've read - started with an online app, was contacted by a recruiter, set up a phone interview. The interview was strictly 45 minutes and I needed a computer with internet access in front of me. I had to speak through a chosen project from my portfolio (that the interviewer had obviously previously looked at) while we both looked at it on my website. Then I had to pick a Google service/product to critique, followed by a Q&A session.

Interview Question – I suppose this is my own fault, but I have a multidisciplinary background so when I was critiquing the Google service I kept going on "tangents" as I spoke through my thought process and I think this frustrated my interviewer and it looked like I wasn't focused on the interaction because I was also speaking about the visual design, design features, and interconnectivity with other Google services. (But those totally influence how a user interacts with a site...)   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2013.

Interview Details – Referred through a friend and quickly received an e-mail from a recruiter. Made it to the design exercise and submitted, but did not receive an invitation to go on-site. The process generally was very quick and polite. The interview over the phone felt much more like a conversation than an interview. It was a straightforward check on background, portfolio, and design decisions on some pieces. Nothing too specific though.

Interview Question – Interviewer had described a problem they had to solve for one of their products (Google Plus) and explained why they spent time on it. They then asked how I would do it.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in August 2011.

Interview Details – After being recruited by Google for an Interaction Designer position I spent 3 months going through the infamous Google interview process. From the start I told the recruiter I was interviewing for a position that I didn't have the required technical skills listed in the description (Computer science degree). He told me Google was trying to incorporate designers that were more creative and the description was out dated. Sounded good so I moved forward. I had three seperate phone interviews that went well, followed by a 3 hour design "test". after which they asked me to come in for the big group interview.

The in-person process is strange in that you don't meet with anyone that you will directly work with, it's all people you might work with. Every employee is required to interview potential new hires a few time a month along with taking interviewees to lunch.

When I first showed up at 8 AM they rushed me into a room with 5 strangers and they began to immediately attack the 3 hour "test" project I submitted two weeks earlier. It was annoying nitpicking for 40 minutes straight. Once I was finally able to go into my presentation showing my work and history they didn't seem interested, I was only able to get through a few screens in the remaining 15 minutes, they asked me every question possible about the technical aspects of my work with little about the design, claiming they were trying to get at how I think.

After that I went to one on one interviews, with each person focusing on a different topic. Everything seemed to be going much better then the presentation until I met with the technical interviewer. Turns out they wanted someone who could hand code in HTML, they wanted me to code a site on a white board and place some code that would make the site not work. Even though I explained to the recruiter in the beginning of the process that I'm a designer/creative director with some coding skills, but by no means an expert.

When I received my call two weeks later I was told they passed me up for a designer with more technical skills then myself. BIG waste of my time, if any of the people that I would actually be working with looked at my work before bringing me in they would have realized I wasn't a programmer and could have made the call on whether I would work in that position. It was a good learning experience though, one I won't go through ever again.

On a side note, the campus is amazing but it seemed every corner I turned there was some sort of company centric "I love Google" propaganda. It's a bit much especially when one of my interviewers told me he hated his life for the first 4 years of his time there.

Interview Question – Can you code an entire webpage with this marker on a white board in 10 minutes? And add hidden issues to see if I'm able to find them.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details – I enjoyed the process, it was challenging and I learnt a few things. However, it was a long process which demanded a lot of effort from my side.

1. Initial phone interview (with someone from US). Easy.

2. Develop a project based on one of 5 briefs they provide. Use all time they give you, ask for more time if needed. They allow this. Both ux, interaction design, concept and polished visuals are expected.
Somewhat difficult, but it´s a regular design project.

3. If project is approved you are invited to an on-site interview. This is a full day interview and a presentation. 5 interviews, each one lasting an hour plus a one hour presentation you have to prepare. Very tiering and physical demanding (doing one interview after another).

Things i did not like:
Predominately male interviewing style, but all interviewers are very smart and had very good questions.

Too little feedback when not offered a role. To be seriously consider you need to invest a lot of time, project work, etc. Unfortunately, if you get rejected at final phase (3.) you don´t get a lot of feedback. Still if you have time it´s a process worth going through.

Interview Question – How would you measure design quality on a design project?   Answer Question

Interaction Designer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The hiring process works in several subsequent steps. Starting with the submission of the application, it will take a couple weeks for a initial response if there is interest in actually starting the interviewing process. It will then continue with a 45min phone interview wich covers both personal history and design background as well as up to two portfolio pieces. If this was successfull, a design exercise is given and to be handed in as a documented process. The final step is an invitation to an on-site interview day featuring a 45min presentation followed by 5 individual interviews.

Interview Question – Depending on the specific tasks needed by the team, in which the position is open, the interviews will cover different areas such as User Centered Design, Team Management, Interaction Design, Design Philosophy, Research etc..   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!