Google Interaction Designer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.4

Interaction Designer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Out of all the large tech companies I was applying for, Google was probably the one I was most interested in. It was overall an underwhelming experience. From the get go, there was a lack of organization in the initial recruiting efforts and some basic mistakes were made by the recruitment team in coordination. Once things got on their way I was screened by hiring managers and then scheduled for a phone interview with a senior designer. The conversation included your typical design questions and on-the-spot analysis, but somehow felt far less genuine or personal than any other interview I encountered, and left me with a bitter taste in my mouth about the bureaucratic nature of the company some employees speak of. I was glad I didn't need to waste any extra time with more steps interviewing.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

I applied online for an Interaction Designer position based out of the Los Angeles offce. Though I felt I was over-qualified for the title and job description, it was the only role available based out of LA. About a week later, I received an email from a recruiter, she initially wanted to interview me for an Interaction Designer role in Mountain View, but I told her that I'm based in Los Angeles and she quickly replied back that I could interview for that role. I thought this was weird as I applied for the LA position in the first place.

Round 1 - The Phone Interview

I had a phone interview, about 45 minutes long with another Designer. He asked me basic questions about my experience, work and couple projects. No weird questions. It was a very bland phone interview, very robotic. I felt he was just doing his job in interviewing me and there was feeling of whether he thought I was a good candidate or not. After a few days, I got a reply from the recruiter saying I made it to round 2 (design exercise).

Round 2 - Design Exercise

They gave me about a week and a half to complete a design exercise (in between Thanksgiving). I know I did good because when I submitted my project, I received an email back within 20 minutes that the team had reviewed my project and wanted to bring me in for an onsite. I made it to round 3.

Round 3 - Onsite Interview

The onsite interview consisted of a one hour presentation of my design exercise to a panel of five designers followed by five 1-hour sessions with each of the designers individually.

Having 15 years experience and having been through many interviews, I felt I nailed it. I had good vibes from all designers all throughout the day. There wasn't one (not one) situation where I felt I could have done better. My experiences, my answers, my conversations felt as though I nailed it. I left the interview thinking I had this in a bag. About a week after the interview, the recruiter called me and mentioned they decided to go with another candidate for the LA role. She said they wanted to consider me for other upcoming roles in the new year and would stay in touch. I was bummed.

All in all, I felt there wasn't anything I could have done better. My only thing is that my high salary probably didn't fit with the single opening the had in Los Angeles. My experience far exceeded the Interaction Designer discipline as I have a hybrid UI/UX Design background.

What I dislike about the entire process is that you're interviewing all in all for over a month and there isn't any talk about the role you're applying for. In my onsite interview, the designers didn't even know each other and they didn't have any idea of what I would be doing if I landed the job. That is the one thing I disliked about the entire process. But I guess I knew this going in so its one of those things I have to live with. Just felt so impersonal and very systematic.

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Applied online, contacted the recruiter.Start with a phone screen with designer, and then a design exercise. Have a week's time to finish the design exercise. Still in the process, waiting for on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Was referred by a friend. Had a phone screen, and multiple recruiters reached out after that over a few weeks. Finally, I had another phone screen, and was told to work on a sample design problem. Submitted the design problem, and was asked to come to the MV campus for a full day interview. The day started with me giving an hour-long presentation on the design problem and my portfolio. I then spoke with 9 employees at one-on-one interviews. Lunch was with an employee to answer questions, and was not an interview. Overall it was a good experience: people I spoke to were interesting and engaged, and my recruiter was friendly and helpful. Complaints were that it seemed to take Google a long time to get their process together - originally 5 recruiters were contacting me all at once, seemingly at different Google locations/teams. Also, there was little ability to apply for a particular role, with applications becoming "general" once accepted.

Interview Questions

Another offer was a better fit for me at the time

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Start with a phone screen, and the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, talk about my portfolio, and finally ask questions to them. Very ordinary interview process. The interviewer sounds bored from the very beginning though, and the whole conversation makes me feel we were just trying to accomplish the interview task.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I was referred by a friend, and got an email from a recruiter the very next day to schedule a phone interview.

Phone interview: This interview was with an interaction designer. The interview was very positive and conversational. No trick questions.

Skills test: A 3-hour interaction design exercise. This was actually a lot of fun!

However, I didn't make it past the skills test, but it was a very positive experience overall. The recruiter was super nice and prompt with updates.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2013.

I was initially contacted by a Google recruiter via LinkedIn. First we went over my background and what I was looking for in my next role. After speaking with the first recruiter, I was passed on to a recruiter at their Mountain View office.

Speaking with that recruiter we went over my background again, what I was looking for, and some potential positions. I was also passed along to different teams waiting to see if someone would speak to me.

After about 3 weeks of waiting, I was finally set up for my first phone interview with another Interaction Designer.

The interview was very casual and easy going. The person I spoke with was really easy to talk to, almost like I was speaking with a fellow colleague. We went over my background, a few questions regarding interaction design (process, research, etc), and a few front-end questions (HTML, CSS, coding practices) as well. The interview was supposed to only last 45 mins but ended up going a little over. The person I spoke with also shared some insights about working at Google and also about themselves and how they got into the role.

After waiting an additional 2-3 weeks I finally received my feedback. And while I did not go on to the next step, the process was very thorough and accommodating.

The only "negative" I have is that Google's interview process is known to be stretched out for a long period of time. I waited about 2-3 weeks between each step. Not so bad, but can be for others who are in a crunch looking for the next opportunity right away.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or gotcha questions. The questions my interviewer asked were all very standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

A friend who works at Google submitted my resume internally and I got an email a couple of days later setting up a phone interview. That interview took place about a week later, lasted 45 minutes, and then a few days later I got a call from the internal recruiter notifying me that they were not going to "go forward with my candidacy at this time."

Interview Questions
    • While reviewing one of the websites in my portfolio, she asked a question about a detail in the design and wanted to know why I made that "choice." She wanted to know why I put the two-letter state abbreviation in front of the state name in a dropdown menu, rather than the other way around, on a specialized contact form that perhaps 50 people in the country would have any reason to use, if they visited at all.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

Typical Interview process from what I've read - started with an online app, was contacted by a recruiter, set up a phone interview. The interview was strictly 45 minutes and I needed a computer with internet access in front of me. I had to speak through a chosen project from my portfolio (that the interviewer had obviously previously looked at) while we both looked at it on my website. Then I had to pick a Google service/product to critique, followed by a Q&A session.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose this is my own fault, but I have a multidisciplinary background so when I was critiquing the Google service I kept going on "tangents" as I spoke through my thought process and I think this frustrated my interviewer and it looked like I wasn't focused on the interaction because I was also speaking about the visual design, design features, and interconnectivity with other Google services. (But those totally influence how a user interacts with a site...)   Answer Question