Google

Updated Oct 31, 2014

3.3

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Applied online, contacted the recruiter.Start with a phone screen with designer, and then a design exercise. Have a week's time to finish the design exercise. Still in the process, waiting for on-site interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Start with a phone screen, and the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, talk about my portfolio, and finally ask questions to them. Very ordinary interview process. The interviewer sounds bored from the very beginning though, and the whole conversation makes me feel we were just trying to accomplish the interview task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I was referred by a friend, and got an email from a recruiter the very next day to schedule a phone interview.

Phone interview: This interview was with an interaction designer. The interview was very positive and conversational. No trick questions.

Skills test: A 3-hour interaction design exercise. This was actually a lot of fun!

However, I didn't make it past the skills test, but it was a very positive experience overall. The recruiter was super nice and prompt with updates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2013.

I was initially contacted by a Google recruiter via LinkedIn. First we went over my background and what I was looking for in my next role. After speaking with the first recruiter, I was passed on to a recruiter at their Mountain View office.

Speaking with that recruiter we went over my background again, what I was looking for, and some potential positions. I was also passed along to different teams waiting to see if someone would speak to me.

After about 3 weeks of waiting, I was finally set up for my first phone interview with another Interaction Designer.

The interview was very casual and easy going. The person I spoke with was really easy to talk to, almost like I was speaking with a fellow colleague. We went over my background, a few questions regarding interaction design (process, research, etc), and a few front-end questions (HTML, CSS, coding practices) as well. The interview was supposed to only last 45 mins but ended up going a little over. The person I spoke with also shared some insights about working at Google and also about themselves and how they got into the role.

After waiting an additional 2-3 weeks I finally received my feedback. And while I did not go on to the next step, the process was very thorough and accommodating.

The only "negative" I have is that Google's interview process is known to be stretched out for a long period of time. I waited about 2-3 weeks between each step. Not so bad, but can be for others who are in a crunch looking for the next opportunity right away.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or gotcha questions. The questions my interviewer asked were all very standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

A friend who works at Google submitted my resume internally and I got an email a couple of days later setting up a phone interview. That interview took place about a week later, lasted 45 minutes, and then a few days later I got a call from the internal recruiter notifying me that they were not going to "go forward with my candidacy at this time."

Interview Questions
    • While reviewing one of the websites in my portfolio, she asked a question about a detail in the design and wanted to know why I made that "choice." She wanted to know why I put the two-letter state abbreviation in front of the state name in a dropdown menu, rather than the other way around, on a specialized contact form that perhaps 50 people in the country would have any reason to use, if they visited at all.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

Typical Interview process from what I've read - started with an online app, was contacted by a recruiter, set up a phone interview. The interview was strictly 45 minutes and I needed a computer with internet access in front of me. I had to speak through a chosen project from my portfolio (that the interviewer had obviously previously looked at) while we both looked at it on my website. Then I had to pick a Google service/product to critique, followed by a Q&A session.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose this is my own fault, but I have a multidisciplinary background so when I was critiquing the Google service I kept going on "tangents" as I spoke through my thought process and I think this frustrated my interviewer and it looked like I wasn't focused on the interaction because I was also speaking about the visual design, design features, and interconnectivity with other Google services. (But those totally influence how a user interacts with a site...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2013.

Referred through a friend and quickly received an e-mail from a recruiter. Made it to the design exercise and submitted, but did not receive an invitation to go on-site. The process generally was very quick and polite. The interview over the phone felt much more like a conversation than an interview. It was a straightforward check on background, portfolio, and design decisions on some pieces. Nothing too specific though.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer had described a problem they had to solve for one of their products (Google Plus) and explained why they spent time on it. They then asked how I would do it.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in April 2012.

I was contacted by their internal recruiting team and asked for a phone interview. The one who interviewed me since nice, but didn't get much detail discussed over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What you want to do if you don't have to work   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in August 2011.

After being recruited by Google for an Interaction Designer position I spent 3 months going through the infamous Google interview process. From the start I told the recruiter I was interviewing for a position that I didn't have the required technical skills listed in the description (Computer science degree). He told me Google was trying to incorporate designers that were more creative and the description was out dated. Sounded good so I moved forward. I had three seperate phone interviews that went well, followed by a 3 hour design "test". after which they asked me to come in for the big group interview.

The in-person process is strange in that you don't meet with anyone that you will directly work with, it's all people you might work with. Every employee is required to interview potential new hires a few time a month along with taking interviewees to lunch.

When I first showed up at 8 AM they rushed me into a room with 5 strangers and they began to immediately attack the 3 hour "test" project I submitted two weeks earlier. It was annoying nitpicking for 40 minutes straight. Once I was finally able to go into my presentation showing my work and history they didn't seem interested, I was only able to get through a few screens in the remaining 15 minutes, they asked me every question possible about the technical aspects of my work with little about the design, claiming they were trying to get at how I think.

After that I went to one on one interviews, with each person focusing on a different topic. Everything seemed to be going much better then the presentation until I met with the technical interviewer. Turns out they wanted someone who could hand code in HTML, they wanted me to code a site on a white board and place some code that would make the site not work. Even though I explained to the recruiter in the beginning of the process that I'm a designer/creative director with some coding skills, but by no means an expert.

When I received my call two weeks later I was told they passed me up for a designer with more technical skills then myself. BIG waste of my time, if any of the people that I would actually be working with looked at my work before bringing me in they would have realized I wasn't a programmer and could have made the call on whether I would work in that position. It was a good learning experience though, one I won't go through ever again.

On a side note, the campus is amazing but it seemed every corner I turned there was some sort of company centric "I love Google" propaganda. It's a bit much especially when one of my interviewers told me he hated his life for the first 4 years of his time there.

Interview Questions
    • Can you code an entire webpage with this marker on a white board in 10 minutes? And add hidden issues to see if I'm able to find them.   Answer Question