Google Interaction Designer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Their interview process is as follows. With each step, obviously, comes an opportunity for them to eliminate candidates. I didn't make it through the whole process but I'm glad I got to do a little of it. Apply with your portfolio / website Phone Interview Remote project to test your skills All-day on-site interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a piece in your portfolio with additonal project-specific questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with a 45 minute phone screen. This was very standard and straightforward and my interviewer was very personable and easy to talk to. He seemed genuinely interested in what I was saying and my approach to design. Near the end of the call, he went through a portfolio piece I selected and asked me a few design questions about it. I received feedback that everything went well about a week after the initial phone screen and was presented with a design exercise. I had the ability to pick between one of three prompts and design an experience around it. I was told that most people will spend 3-5 hours on the project and asked if I could spend more time on it and do more than what was asked. I was told yes, so I went off and designed a project from start to finish including sketches, wireframes, UI design, and annotated wireframes with detailed documentation. After a few days I was contacted back and was told that I would not be moving forward with the process. All in all the experience was decent, but the design prompt and directions are a little misleading in their wording and it's not 100% clear what the review team is looking for in the design exercise.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you to explain design decisions in work from your portfolio   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Out of all the large tech companies I was applying for, Google was probably the one I was most interested in. It was overall an underwhelming experience. From the get go, there was a lack of organization in the initial recruiting efforts and some basic mistakes were made by the recruitment team in coordination. Once things got on their way I was screened by hiring managers and then scheduled for a phone interview with a senior designer. The conversation included your typical design questions and on-the-spot analysis, but somehow felt far less genuine or personal than any other interview I encountered, and left me with a bitter taste in my mouth about the bureaucratic nature of the company some employees speak of. I was glad I didn't need to waste any extra time with more steps interviewing.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online for an Interaction Designer position based out of the Los Angeles offce. Though I felt I was over-qualified for the title and job description, it was the only role available based out of LA. About a week later, I received an email from a recruiter, she initially wanted to interview me for an Interaction Designer role in Mountain View, but I told her that I'm based in Los Angeles and she quickly replied back that I could interview for that role. I thought this was weird as I applied for the LA position in the first place. Round 1 - The Phone Interview I had a phone interview, about 45 minutes long with another Designer. He asked me basic questions about my experience, work and couple projects. No weird questions. It was a very bland phone interview, very robotic. I felt he was just doing his job in interviewing me and there was feeling of whether he thought I was a good candidate or not. After a few days, I got a reply from the recruiter saying I made it to round 2 (design exercise). Round 2 - Design Exercise They gave me about a week and a half to complete a design exercise (in between Thanksgiving). I know I did good because when I submitted my project, I received an email back within 20 minutes that the team had reviewed my project and wanted to bring me in for an onsite. I made it to round 3. Round 3 - Onsite Interview The onsite interview consisted of a one hour presentation of my design exercise to a panel of five designers followed by five 1-hour sessions with each of the designers individually. Having 15 years experience and having been through many interviews, I felt I nailed it. I had good vibes from all designers all throughout the day. There wasn't one (not one) situation where I felt I could have done better. My experiences, my answers, my conversations felt as though I nailed it. I left the interview thinking I had this in a bag. About a week after the interview, the recruiter called me and mentioned they decided to go with another candidate for the LA role. She said they wanted to consider me for other upcoming roles in the new year and would stay in touch. I was bummed. All in all, I felt there wasn't anything I could have done better. My only thing is that my high salary probably didn't fit with the single opening the had in Los Angeles. My experience far exceeded the Interaction Designer discipline as I have a hybrid UI/UX Design background. What I dislike about the entire process is that you're interviewing all in all for over a month and there isn't any talk about the role you're applying for. In my onsite interview, the designers didn't even know each other and they didn't have any idea of what I would be doing if I landed the job. That is the one thing I disliked about the entire process. But I guess I knew this going in so its one of those things I have to live with. Just felt so impersonal and very systematic.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted the recruiter.Start with a phone screen with designer, and then a design exercise. Have a week's time to finish the design exercise. Still in the process, waiting for on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day. The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview

Was referred by a friend. Had a phone screen, and multiple recruiters reached out after that over a few weeks. Finally, I had another phone screen, and was told to work on a sample design problem. Submitted the design problem, and was asked to come to the MV campus for a full day interview. The day started with me giving an hour-long presentation on the design problem and my portfolio. I then spoke with 9 employees at one-on-one interviews. Lunch was with an employee to answer questions, and was not an interview. Overall it was a good experience: people I spoke to were interesting and engaged, and my recruiter was friendly and helpful. Complaints were that it seemed to take Google a long time to get their process together - originally 5 recruiters were contacting me all at once, seemingly at different Google locations/teams. Also, there was little ability to apply for a particular role, with applications becoming "general" once accepted.

Interview Questions

Another offer was a better fit for me at the time

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Start with a phone screen, and the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, talk about my portfolio, and finally ask questions to them. Very ordinary interview process. The interviewer sounds bored from the very beginning though, and the whole conversation makes me feel we were just trying to accomplish the interview task.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend, and got an email from a recruiter the very next day to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview: This interview was with an interaction designer. The interview was very positive and conversational. No trick questions. Skills test: A 3-hour interaction design exercise. This was actually a lot of fun! However, I didn't make it past the skills test, but it was a very positive experience overall. The recruiter was super nice and prompt with updates.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me. I responded and didn't hear back for two weeks. I emailed the recruiter again and she finally responded with apologies. I chatted with her on the phone and sent her an updated resume. The next step was a phone screen with a designer. After that was a design exercise. They give you three problems to choose from and ask that you complete it in a few hours. I completed the exercise, which by the way took much longer than a few hours if you want to complete it with any amount of quality and thought, and sent it in. The original recruiter passed me off to another recruiter. They asked me to come to the campus for the final round of interviews. I presented both my portfolio and the exercise to a panel of designers/researchers for an hour and then met with each of them in 1:1 interviews for the rest of the day, breaking briefly for lunch at the cafeteria. During lunch, a designer gave me a brief tour of the campus. Each 1:1 interview included a design exercise and a set list of questions (to prevent overlap). At times, the interviewer focused more on getting through the list of questions than on connecting with me as a human being. The interviewers did not know each other. I did enjoy the exercises and though I may never know how I did on them, it did help create more engaging interaction between me and the interviewer. In the weeks and months following, I checked back in several times without getting an answer. The holidays were partly to blame. When the recruiter finally called me to tell me they weren't moving forward, I asked for feedback on why. She said she couldn't share that with me. Google then sent me several follow-up emails asking for MY feedback on their interview process. Considering the amount of data they already have on me and the amount of work and time I put into the process, I was deeply offended that they didn't at least give me information on how to improve not just as a candidate but as a designer. It truly demonstrated for me the pitfalls of working for a large company that looks at people as numbers, loses them in the masses, and demands everything without giving anything in return.

Interview Questions

• Example exercise: design an alarm clock with only three buttons.   Answer Question