Google

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Victoria, BC (Canada)

I interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details – I sent my resume, but they did not accept.

Interview Question – I didn't have questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in May 2012.

Interview Details – This was for a Software Engineer Intern position. It was two 45 minutes long phone interviews. They give you time to ask any questions at the end of the interview. It's challenging to solve problems over the phone, if coding is necessary, they would send you a link to a google doc.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of characters in it, how would you reverse it? After that's being answered, how would you implement it with an array such as: |f|e|d| |c|a|t|, that would reverse it into: |d|e|f| |t|a|c|? take the white space as the separator.   Answer Question
  • How to implement a caching system? No coding necessary, just the concept.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Google in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online. Then I was scheduled 2 technical phone interviews, and 45 minutes each. The first one asking my research topic and only one technical question. The technical question is how to generate random percentage from an array like 2, 3, 5. The second one asked coding question. The entire interview process is very fast. The recruiters are very efficient.

Interview Question – The first question is to write the binary search. Remember the bug of mid=(lo+hi)/2, instead, you should write mid=lo+(hi-lo)/2. The second question asked, how to find two missing integers in an unsorted array. You should first find the sum of the two numbers, and then the XOR of the two numbers. The third question asks you are given a number of coins, how can you generate the probability of 1/3, 2/3, etc. I answered that just use two coins to do so. Toss two coins, you have 4 possibilities, HH,HT,TH,TT. Assign the 1/3,2/3,3/3 values to the first three. If you meet tail,tail, just toss again.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – There were 2 rounds of interview. First, there was a 2 hour technical interview, 1 hr each with two engineers. In the second round, I was to meet with the Head of the Montreal office. It was supposed to be a non-technical interview, but it turned out to be highly technical. In all three interviews, I was asked to solve interesting programming problems.

Interview Question – Enumerating all possible combination of dictionary words to that can be formed in a 4x4 grid of characters such that subsequent characters in the word is adjacent in the grid.   View Answer

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – Know your algorithms, memory management, and pay attention to your big O times! All very important to the process.

Interview Question – They asked me to implement malloc in strict C after I asked for a c++ interview. I know I should have been ready for malloc, but I never use it and stumbled.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in March 2010.

Interview Details – The people are very friendly and helpful. The first and second round phone interviews are easy, only a few algorithm questions. The final interview with the manager is a little tough.

Interview Question – Write a program to comparing two array, one being very large   Answer Question

Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – There were two interviews. The first interviewer asked about a path finding problem. The second was on linked list.

Interview Questions

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in November 2009.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews.
1st one is about algorithm. Questions are about how to deal with large amount of data and time series analysis.
2nd one is programming question. Binary tree traversal and conversion from integer to strings.

Interview Question – How to randomly select a number with equal probability from an array with unknown size?   View Answer

Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer first asked questions about my background and resume, then the technical questions. A few minutes were left at the end for me to ask any questions. The interviewer seems pretty engaged and interested the whole time, overall a positive experience.

Interview Question – Given a generic tree, how would you pick a node at random with uniform probability?   View Answers (2)

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 2 coding/algorithm interviews + one matching interview

Interview Question – Find the largest rectangle with all 0s in an matrix with only 0 and 1.   View Answers (3)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Intern interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.