Google

Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.3

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in May 2012.

This was for a Software Engineer Intern position. It was two 45 minutes long phone interviews. They give you time to ask any questions at the end of the interview. It's challenging to solve problems over the phone, if coding is necessary, they would send you a link to a google doc.

Interview Questions
  • Given an array of characters in it, how would you reverse it? After that's being answered, how would you implement it with an array such as: |f|e|d| |c|a|t|, that would reverse it into: |d|e|f| |t|a|c|? take the white space as the separator.   Answer Question
  • How to implement a caching system? No coding necessary, just the concept.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in August 2012.

Submitted resume online. Then I was scheduled 2 technical phone interviews, and 45 minutes each. The first one asking my research topic and only one technical question. The technical question is how to generate random percentage from an array like 2, 3, 5. The second one asked coding question. The entire interview process is very fast. The recruiters are very efficient.

Interview Questions
    • The first question is to write the binary search. Remember the bug of mid=(lo+hi)/2, instead, you should write mid=lo+(hi-lo)/2. The second question asked, how to find two missing integers in an unsorted array. You should first find the sum of the two numbers, and then the XOR of the two numbers. The third question asks you are given a number of coins, how can you generate the probability of 1/3, 2/3, etc. I answered that just use two coins to do so. Toss two coins, you have 4 possibilities, HH,HT,TH,TT. Assign the 1/3,2/3,3/3 values to the first three. If you meet tail,tail, just toss again.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2012.

The interview stage was composed of a phone interview and two one-hour coding sessions on a shared document.
    The phone interview included 2-4 general questions and about 8 technical questions.
    The coding interviews were composed of 2 programming problems and related theoretical questions
    Coding questions were as seen on websites such as codejam and ACM

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I was interviewing for the software development engineer internship position. The interview questions were tough, but they seemed to go fairly well. There were both behavioral and technical aspects to the interviews, though it was mostly technical. There were 2 back to back 45 minute interviews, and it was annoying that the second interviewer did not call, and an hour after he was supposed to, the recruiter emailed me to reschedule.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in November 2009.

Two phone interviews.
    1st one is about algorithm. Questions are about how to deal with large amount of data and time series analysis.
    2nd one is programming question. Binary tree traversal and conversion from integer to strings.

Interview Questions
    • How to randomly select a number with equal probability from an array with unknown size?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in March 2011.

There were two interviews. The first interviewer asked about a path finding problem. The second was on linked list.

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2011.

The interviewer first asked questions about my background and resume, then the technical questions. A few minutes were left at the end for me to ask any questions. The interviewer seems pretty engaged and interested the whole time, overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given a generic tree, how would you pick a node at random with uniform probability?   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in March 2010.

The people are very friendly and helpful. The first and second round phone interviews are easy, only a few algorithm questions. The final interview with the manager is a little tough.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to comparing two array, one being very large   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2012.

Know your algorithms, memory management, and pay attention to your big O times! All very important to the process.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to implement malloc in strict C after I asked for a c++ interview. I know I should have been ready for malloc, but I never use it and stumbled.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in May 2011.

There were 2 rounds of interview. First, there was a 2 hour technical interview, 1 hr each with two engineers. In the second round, I was to meet with the Head of the Montreal office. It was supposed to be a non-technical interview, but it turned out to be highly technical. In all three interviews, I was asked to solve interesting programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • Enumerating all possible combination of dictionary words to that can be formed in a 4x4 grid of characters such that subsequent characters in the word is adjacent in the grid.   View Answer