Google

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.3

103 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

First the HR contacted me, discussed the procedure of interviewing and project matching. The two 45-min interviews were scheduled. Coding were done in a shared Google Doc. After the phone interview, I was informed that I passed the technical interview and moved into host matching step. Two people from two teams called me but did not match well with me.

Interview Questions
  • It hard to find a perfect match project when it is in April. Should be as soon as possible. Google will keep matching if time limits.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2013.

I had two back-to-back hour interviews on Google Hangouts. The questions were very fair and straightforward. They asked vocabulary questions about OOP, a design question about a data structure, and a coding exercise. The second interviewer asked me about what I did over the summer and then proceeded to give me a few coding exercises.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

This is my third time applying to Google. I talked with them at the career fair and submitted my resume online. (I also had a Google employee submit my resume as well) I got an email the next day asking to schedule two 45-minute technical interviews over the phone. Both involved coding through Google Docs. The first one was okay and covered standard CS algorithms and data structures questions. The second interviewer forgot to call me, but we rescheduled for the following week. His interview consisted of a scenario pulled from a specific skill listed on my resume, and he watched as I described the design, implementation, and testing of that concept.

I received an email within about a week notifying me that I had passed the interview process and was moving on to the host-matching process. Google sticks you in this large pool of candidates from which potential hosts search for you based on a preference form that you fill out. They can also see your interview Google Docs. After about three weeks, I was notified that two teams were interested in interviewing me. I had both phone calls, and really liked one of them but the other one not so much. Regardless, my interviewer told me that both teams didn't see me as a good fit for the team. I was thrown back in the pool.

About one week later I got another email from my recruiter saying that someone was interested in me working on his team. I had a phone call with him and was notified within a few days that I got the job.

As I expected, the process is extremely long, but if you're patient, it could work out.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately I cannot detail the specifics because I signed an NDA, but I will say that the questions were not terribly difficult provided that you are familiar with the standard interview questions for CS interviews and that you know all the skills you list on your resume. They definitely tailor the interview to what you list on your resume, so don't lie about that.   Answer Question
    Google pays really well for interns. Negotiation would make me look like an idiot.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Scheduled phone interview through emails. Was very helpful up until after the first round of interviews. The interviewers were very understanding and supportive during interview. I had two phone interviews in one day. They provided alternative version of questions upon asking for clarification. They also allowed for questioning at the end of the interview.

My interview didn't go well but that was because I failed to prepare before the interview. It should be noted that most of the questions that are ask are actually technical programming questions. Not just algorithm questions but syntax and paradigm questions as well.

While the questions in retrospect seem completely fair, involving on subjects that any sophomore Computer Science student would be able to answer, the interviewers would not accept “I am unable to answer that at the moment” as an answer. That is I was asked a question to give an example of a C++ feature, when I admitted that while I could explain the feature completely (which I did), I was unable to provided an example on the spot. The interviewer did not appreciate this honesty and would not move on after my comment. To clarify, he did voice an annoyance but would not provide another question before the interview ran over.

Overall both interviews actually went fairly well besides the aforementioned incident. However, I was forced to end my interview process before I could schedule or be denied a second interview because I was offered a position at another large software company. The process to contact them to cancel my interview process was a hassle, it took several weeks before I got a response.

Interview Questions
    • I no longer remember the exact questions but having x86_64 assembly language and C++ on my resume I was asked questions about specific features of OO and assembly programming. I wasn't prepared for because I thought the interviewers would focus more algorithms and problem solving.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Two Google+ Hangout technical interviews and most of the questions are fairly easy. Failed to answer one of them but the others went quite smoothly. You can just give a simple answer at the beginning and optimize it step by step after that. Nice interviewers. Results come out the next day(which is surprisingly fast).

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

Contact with recruiter, 2 technical interviews, 3 host matching interviews

2 rounds: online cv and motivation letters then g hangout interview

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

Got asked for an on-campus interview with 2 interviewers, 45 minutes each. Both asked me questions on binary trees, while splitting their questions to part, a, b, etc., with each additional part asking the likes of "well, now assuming ______ no longer work/can't be used, how would you do it?". Interviewers were nice.

Interview Questions
    • The concepts aren't hard, but requires thinking and has twists on the questions that you might have seen from interview books and such.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Submitted my resume online, talked to representatives, and got a phone interview about 2 weeks after. It was two 30 minute interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, they ask you to write short algorithms that would solve their questions. Mostly string related stuff because my interviewer was working with Google Books. And one theoretical question at the end.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Gave resume to University recruiter, who forwarded it to the phone screening committee.
    Phone screening committee scheduled a phone interview, during which I answered some behavioral questions and 4 programming questions.
    I passed the phone interview, and then underwent host matching where project managers see if my profile is a good fit for their project.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most interesting project you ever worked on?   View Answer

Other offer from company