Google

Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.3

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I was interviewing for the software development engineer internship position. The interview questions were tough, but they seemed to go fairly well. There were both behavioral and technical aspects to the interviews, though it was mostly technical. There were 2 back to back 45 minute interviews, and it was annoying that the second interviewer did not call, and an hour after he was supposed to, the recruiter emailed me to reschedule.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Initial phone screening, followed by interviews with software engineers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2013.

It was much easier than people think. Everyone was friendly and easy going.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2012.

There were two phone interviews each lasting 45 minutes. Heavily coding oriented (using Google docs)

Interview Questions
    • First Interview:
      Simple questions: Write a program to find a character (and it's occurrence count) in a string. Scale for a paragraph, to a file that doesn't fit in memory to a large set of files split across a network that don't fit in memory of a single machine.

Second Interview:
      Median finding algorithm - find the median of 'n' numbers and a little bit of binary search tree implementation

View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in December 2011.

Two 45 minute phone Interviews were conducted. If you pass the phone interviews, then you participate in a host matching process. Host matching process consists of you and different teams at the company seeing if you're a good fit for each other. If the team wants you and you want the team, then you will be able to work at Google.

Interview Questions
    • Find the max value in an array. The array is "semi-sorted". Here is an example:
      { 1 3 4 7 9 10 12 13 12 6 3 }

As you can see, the array increases and then decreases at one point (13).

View Answers (12)

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in April 2011.

Was referred by an employee and obtained two 15 minute phone interviews. The interview questions were standard however the interviewer professionalism was extremely low. The first interviewer did not call at the scheduled time... period. The interview was rescheduled and the second interviewer also did not call, after waiting 30 minutes I called them and was told "he had gotten busy with something". The interview was then conducted.

Interview Questions
    • Typical low level CS questions about sorting algorithms and operational cost.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2011.

Very responsive. HR is very helpful through the process, especially matching me to a good fit position.

Interview Questions
    • Convert char string to integer.   View Answers (2)
    • Find occurrences of a number in sorted array (allow duplicates).   View Answers (8)
    • If integer array used to store big integers (one integer store one digit), implement arithmetic operations.   View Answers (6)
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2011.

I was contacted by the recruter. and then comes with a phone interview. The process is longer than expected. maybe 3 weeks. During the interview, I am asked about basic algorithm questions like how to sort, and how to improve the algorithm by complexity and time. Later I was asked to write code on Google docs

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

The process was pretty standard - 2 technical phone interviews. I waited 2 weeks for a reply. I am disappointed not because I was not made an offer but because of their attitude - I received an e-mail saying that I was going to be interviewed and 2 days later I received another saying that I was not going to be interviewed. When I asked for an explanation, they said it was because I was graduating the same year, which was clearly not the case as I indicated I was pursuing a Master's degree and I was only going to be available during the summer. I demanded to be redirected to someone in order to complain about this and they resumed my interview process. After each interview I was not given the opportunity to ask any questions, although the engineers were nice.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked technical questions associated with algorithms and complexity.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I had 3 technical phone interviews. Each interview was 45 minutes long. A few days after the interviews I received an email where the recruiter said that we can move to the next phase. The next phase was about waiting: a team had to choose me. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long. The 4th interview was with the host, it was approx 30 minutes long. The interview was about the project they are working on. I didn't get any technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were quite standard. They gave me a task and I had to code the solution.   Answer Question