Google

Updated Dec 22, 2014
3,499 Interview Reviews

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

My interview and hiring process was extremely tiring but satisfactory. I dropped out of college and cancelled my plans to study in an university because I wasn't learning anything there. I studied and mastered computer science alone at home within 2 months. Although I am just 19, I decided to apply for Google and I wouldn't care if I got rejected really. I applied online and quite suprisingly; they replied back the next day to set-up an phone interview. They asked a few question and then told me "Alright, we'll call you again next week." And when they did that the next week, they invited me for an on-site interview. I met some interesting people there, and most of them were amazed due to the fact that I dropped out of college but had the abilities and in-depth knowledge of a Harvard-graduate software engineer, also because I am just 19. Some guy named Paul came to me and asked me a brain-teasing question about algorithms and I gave him back a cheesy, but informative answer and he told me "You're probably going to get accepted."

During the on-site interview, they asked me long questions and gave me difficult tests/tasks on:
    1. Recursions
    2. Dynamic Programming
    3. Graphs
    4. Data Structures
    5. Problem-solving query test
    6. Array and Tree
    7. Computer architecture (binary search, low level enhancement...etc)

They gave me some stuff related to graphs and recursion to build over, it was mind-boggling like hell. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I like challenges, and Google managed to give me those....a LOT of those.

The interviewer's name was Caleb, and he said that I fulfill the criteria of a Google software engineer, and thus; they hired me immediately. Caleb was a fun person, I enjoyed being interviewed by him. He also said that I am the YOUNGEST software engineer in the history of Google, I felt really proud at that time. He gave me lots of compliments after the interview like "You're an exceptional person" - Google interviewers are extremely nice and respectful, you don't need to be nervous around them.

Interview Questions
    • You dropped out of college, and you're just 19. Do you think you can handle Google at this age?   View Answers (13)
    Tiring but satisfactory. I negotiated a $190,000 per-year salary and an $5k starter bonus.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
    - How have you improved a certain process at work?
    - Why Google?
    - Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
    - Name 3 advantages of AdWords
    - Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
    -Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
    - A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
    -Why this particular position?
    -How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
    Google jobs website
    Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
    Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (4)
    Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I had a recruiter contact so applied directly. The entire process took 3 months.

Round1: HR
    Questions: Why Google, what do you bring to the table etc. Most people clear this. Honestly if you did not or cannot then consider another career

Round2: Phone screen with a Senior Product Manager
    Very professional, punctual and courteous
    Questions: Resume review, projects, product I like and what I will change about it

Round3: Onsite
    Interviewer 1 (I-1): Seasoned PM
    Questions: Took one project on my resume and discussed it for 45 minutes. Standard PM framework approach to answering questions

I-2: Seasoned GPM from YouTube
    Questions: Market sizing, opportunity assessment, why Google, how will you improve product X

I-3 Junior PM in Search and was previously at Microsoft
    Questions: Annoying as hell and the only value add was he/she corrected me that it's Orange is the new black. I said Orange is the new Red. Mid 20's, annoying and arrogant as hell. We discussed about Netflix model and what can be improved. He/She just kept on saying.. What else.. what else.. what else... I think he/she said that at least 30 times.

I-4: Seasoned GPM
    Questions: None as it was lunch interview. General talk about soccer world cup, etc. Guy was jaded and I think waiting for his stocks to vest. Overall nothing much to report here

I-5: HR
    I thought I was done but she asked me to stay back. Hopes up... LOL

I-6: Seasoned PM from Identity Management team
    Questions: SSO, OAuth, improving checkout etc. Nothing crazy

I-7: Engineer from YouTube
    Questions: Professional and very very nice. Asked me to design a load balancer using data structures. I told him I can write in VB or SQL. He said does not care about language. Wants to see how I use data structures

I-8: Junior PM from Google+
    Questions: Mostly around improve X, improve Y. What non tech product I like? I told I love my Canon Mark III. Discussed it to death and since I know it in an out it was easy to talk about what I would love to change in it

Overall, if you know frameworks you are good to go. They don't asking anything earth shattering.

HR called in a week and said team loved you.. no questions there but felt that you would be a better fit elsewhere. I was offered a position in Google Tech Services as a Senior Manager. I am a Senior PM in a top company in the Bay area. It did not make sense for me to move into a Tech role. I declined and moved on.

In hindsight I thank Google for saying no to me. I'm nearing 40. It does not make sense for me to hang out with 20 year olds PM's. There is only so much I have in common with them. I'm more of a PBS kind of guy. Orange could be the new Blue for all I care.

Interview Questions
    • I have been a PM for over 5 years and in marketing and management consulting all my career. Nothing was unexpected. Irksome? yes. But then again I said to myself, a decade ago I was as arrogant as that 20+ kid.   Answer Question

Not a PM position but a position in Google Tech Services

Senior Accountant Interview

Recruiter asked tough behavioral questions and you have to answer them short and precise. It is best to answer each of the questions in about thirty seconds to one minute. If you talk too long, they seemed lost patience and not interested.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

A phone screen followed by a day of technical interviews. I heard back soon after that. Google actually gives you some material to help you prepare for their interviews, so that you can do your best and they can get the most accurate sense of your ability. That's helpful considering that many topics may require a refresher from your undergrad days.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was tricky or unexpected. All the questions were straightforward traditional computer science questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiated for a small pay increase and medium equity increase.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google.

Internal recruiter had reached out to me directly via LinkedIn. I found all of the background material forwarded to me by the recruiter (interview tips, working at Google, etc.) extremely helpful. The conducting of the interview met the expectations set in the prep material so definitely recommend that candidates go through it thoroughly.

Phone interview was performed with an existing Product Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Take a grocery app - what would be the features you would suggest?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

This was for a position within Sales Finance. It was a very lengthy process. It took 2 weeks to get on the recruiter's schedule for a phone interview. After that phone screen, I had a phone interview with a Finance Manager, before I was invited to come in for in-person interviews. It took 3 weeks to schedule that, and due to a last-minute emergency on their end it was rescheduled an additional 3 weeks later. I met with 5 people over 4 hours, including lunch. The people that claimed to be meeting me "informally" still grilled me.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interviews:
      -Resume walkthrough
      -A story or two about things you did
      -Why Google
      -How does Google make money
      -What's your favorite Google product

In-person interview were focused on business cases related to their product/industry and stories about things I did/how I work:
      - How would you deal with salespeople
      - Do you like coding
      - Which of Google's advertising products (Search, Doubleclick, etc) are most advantageous for a company to use
      - Considerations to monetizing a new product
      - How would you build a new report for sales leaders, and what are the metrics you would use
      - Talk about a time you worked in an industry that was rapidly changing

I wasn't always on the same page with my interviewers, as I seemed to go down a path when they were looking for something else. I probably didn't get the offer because of this, but there wasn't much more I could do to prepare. I was coming from a different function/industry and this was a pretty junior position but they still expected more direct experience.

Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Lengthy process - took place with 3 rounds of Google Hangout Interviews. The interviews tested various questions including skills, abilities, prior experience, "googleyness" and problem solving questions. All interviews were later than they were supposed to be. Long lengths of time between each interview feedback - also understand that I was hired through a staffing firm.

Interview Questions
    • General problem solving questions - looking for you to break down each component into detail.   Answer Question
    Not that bad - easy enough to gain increase to hourly rate

Product Quality Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. After a chat with the recruiter, I was then scheduled for a phone interview with a PQO manager. She asked me basic questions about fraud detection and prevention, and how would I design systems to prevent fraud. I had an onsite interview with three different people from PQO. It was a mix of analysts and managers. They asked me similar questions, as well as more questions about my background. Finally, a week later, I had a video conference call with a senior manager.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the questions verbatim, but I did have a question about designing a scheme to maximize rewards, and then how to build a system to detect such schemes.   Answer Question