Google

2,773 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Round 1:

1. Explain and Write KnapSack Algo with Memorization
2. Given a undirected graph, clone it. Now if the undirected graph has the neighbors with the nodes as same data - how do you make sure you create the exact same branches and also how do you make sure you don't run into loops for the exact node. He gave a empty directed graph and asked me write code after that.
3. Given two Btrees. these trees "may" have right and left branches swapped. Now compare it.

Round 2:
1. Given a N different open and close braces in a string "( { [ } ] )". How do you check whether the string has matching braces.
2. Given a unsorted array. Create a balanced BTREE
3. Print a tree like (Parent ( leftchild (leftchild, rightchild), rightchild(leftchild,rightchild) ) )

Round 3:
Given a kernal code in "0"th machine. How soon you can replicate the kernal across N machines. Now if the machines has upload and download bandwidth constraints, how can you impove the copy time.

Round 4:
1. Design Short URL.
2. Given a List with duplicate Strings, how do you remove duplicate Strings

Round 5:
1. How do you design a Maze and what kind of data structures you use for Maze.
2. Now print the shorted path from start to end point.

Interview Question – For future applicants, you need to get all rounds straight. I kind of flunked 3rd round.   View Answers (5)

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
- How have you improved a certain process at work?
- Why Google?
- Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
- Name 3 advantages of AdWords
- Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
-Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
-Why this particular position?
-How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
Google jobs website
Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Question – If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter. He emailed me out of the blue, and said he really liked my github profile.

Honestly, at first, I didn't believe it was real. We emailed back and forth a few times, but I wasn't really looking to moving to the Bay Area, so I never actually sent in my CV.

About a month goes by, and he emails me back. He just wanted to follow up. Said that he never received the resume, and hoped I would get back in touch. So I told him about my situation, and he mentioned that they had an LA office. This was news to me, and much closer to home. So I sent in my resume, and he connected me to a recruiter who was closer to me.

All in all, I talked with about 4 different people in recruiting. All of them were incredibly nice and helpful. My first "interview" was with the second recruiter. It was really just getting to know me, what my interests were, and trying to get a feel for my fit with the company.

After that interview, we scheduled a technical phone interview. Gave me to weeks to study up. Lots of review material was sent my way, which was awesome. Ended up reading my algorithms text book again, it was quite a nice read, but I don't believe I would have done poorly on the phone interview, even had I not read it. The tips/references they sent to me were extremely helpful. They sent me Titles/Authors of some amazing books, I recommend reading them even if you aren't interviewing with Google.

After passing the phone interview, we had an on-site scheduled about a week later. This was much harder than the phone interview. I get the idea that the phone was just to weed out the weaker candidates. The on-site consisted of 5 one-on-one interviews, plus one lunch "interview" where I was able to ask all of my questions. All of them were about 45 minutes each.

Every interviewer I talked to was very interesting, and we always had something in common to talk about. The questions were all very interesting problems. There was one point in one of the questions where one of the interviewers put a star next to a line I wrote to remind him to go back and follow up on a comment I made that sounded interesting. I enjoyed the interviews, because it felt like I was back in college, talking to my peers about fascinating problems.

There were one or two interviews that I feel I didn't do so hot on. I only managed to get through one of the questions on two of the interviews. However, I figured they really just wanted to see how I approached the problems, so I made sure to explain myself very thoroughly.

Interview Question – I can't go into details about the problems. But I wish I had studied my graph algorithms a little more closely.

Make sure you know your big-O algorithm classifications. Almost every interviewer asked me something to do with that.
  View Answers (2)

San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – 4 rounds technical interviews plus lunch.
They are very nice and almost agree with you on everything. When your write the code on the board they always say "great", "perfect"... I think this is the trap. They make me less nervous which is great but I also started thinking that the problems are not hard and I can definitely get the job. Here is when things goes wrong.

Interview Question – How to protect data when you transfer it online. e.g. You need to submit your username and password from your client to the server and there is people who is listening to the information.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First, a person will contact you to arrange time for the interview. For internship, I have two 1-hour phone interviews in the same day. It'd better to have at least 2 weeks to prepare after you get the contact from Google. Also the phone signal might be bad so be prepared to have alternative way to contact. The first question is about bitwise operation. Study from Cracking the Interviews might help.

Interview Question – Design a class where you can add elements, and return the mean of the latest N elements.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – One question was asked about the data structures and I was asked to write the code for it.

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Had initial contact from a recruiter over email, had a short 20 minute phone conversation where recruiter asked about my professional background and asked me to rate myself in a few technical areas, then asked some trivia questions. We scheduled a phone interview a few weeks later. Interview took about 45 minutes with 10 minutes at the end to clean up code and then ask questions to the interviewer. Interview was a success, scheduled a second phone interview in another couple weeks.

Interview Question – Code was done in Python on a Google Docs document. First weeder question was implementing binary search. Next question was about text processing and after the initial solution was given, additional constraints were added to encourage me to make a better solution.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from Google. We then arranged a time for a phone interview. Basically talked about my background and he then introduced google working environment and advantages. He then arranged a phone screen for me after half a month. The questions on the phone screen are not difficult, but very tricky. You need to be very familiar with algorithms and data structure, and also be very experienced to code with your most preferred language. The materials sent by the recruiter is very helpful. I was graduating during the time, so I didn't have enough time to practice coding. I didn't pass it.

Interview Question – Design a cache with O(1) search time and delete time.   View Answer

SMB Sales Associate Account Strategist Interview

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First round phone interview. Very down to business right away, did not even ask the "tell me about yourself question". I had expected it to be more low key since it was a phone screening type call. Interview did not seem very enthusiastic about the interview or the job. Heard back later that day that they were interested in my but I was not available for the start date they had hoped so will contact me later when a position opens up.

Interview Question – Asked about a difficult person you dealt with. Asked about favorite google product. Asked several questions I wasn't expecting until later interviews.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Moved on to next round of interviews, was unable to continue because of start date.

Channels Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The total interview process took about 6 weeks with one phone interview and one day on-site with 5 interviews (2 in person, 3 over video with employees in Mountain View). The interview questions were a mix of behavioral and hypothetical related to sourcing - after hearing a lot of stories about Google interview questions I felt they were pretty straightforward.

Interview Question – If you could come up with a new capability for one of your favorite Google products, what would it be?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice. All 2,773 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.