Google Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015
4,495 Interview Reviews

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks. The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple: 1) Dynamic Programming 2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs) 3) Probability related programs 4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough 5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,... 6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up. 7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape. 8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought. 9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience. 10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math. 11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know. 12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too! Interview 1: Graph related question and super recursion Interview 2: Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel. Interview 3: Array and Tree related questions Interview 4: Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs. Interview 5: Dynamic programming, Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc. At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems). Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview: The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume. Tow questions: 1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string. 2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines. Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I first had a phone screen interview. After this, I was asked to come onsite for further interviews. I had 4 whiteboard and 1 lunch interview with the Youtube team. After this, I was told that my application is going through the Hiring Committee. Hiring committee asked my HR to find a team for me before giving any decision. I then had two phone interviews with different teams in Android. I informed my HR that I am interested in the first team. Next day, HR emailed me and said that this team no longer has an open position. I again went through the same process. This time, platform team was interested in talking to me. I gave 2 phone interviews wherein they made me write code. After their feedback, I was put through the Hiring committee again and this time I got a thumbs up from them. 1 week after that I was put through executive committee and got my offer. I had 7 other offers and my HR asked me about all of them before putting me through executive review. They gave me more than any other company I had offer from.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact so applied directly. The entire process took 3 months. Round1: HR Questions: Why Google, what do you bring to the table etc. Most people clear this. Honestly if you did not or cannot then consider another career Round2: Phone screen with a Senior Product Manager Very professional, punctual and courteous Questions: Resume review, projects, product I like and what I will change about it Round3: Onsite Interviewer 1 (I-1): Seasoned PM Questions: Took one project on my resume and discussed it for 45 minutes. Standard PM framework approach to answering questions I-2: Seasoned GPM from YouTube Questions: Market sizing, opportunity assessment, why Google, how will you improve product X I-3 Junior PM in Search and was previously at Microsoft Questions: Annoying as hell and the only value add was he/she corrected me that it's Orange is the new black. I said Orange is the new Red. Mid 20's, annoying and arrogant as hell. We discussed about Netflix model and what can be improved. He/She just kept on saying.. What else.. what else.. what else... I think he/she said that at least 30 times. I-4: Seasoned GPM Questions: None as it was lunch interview. General talk about soccer world cup, etc. Guy was jaded and I think waiting for his stocks to vest. Overall nothing much to report here I-5: HR I thought I was done but she asked me to stay back. Hopes up... LOL I-6: Seasoned PM from Identity Management team Questions: SSO, OAuth, improving checkout etc. Nothing crazy I-7: Engineer from YouTube Questions: Professional and very very nice. Asked me to design a load balancer using data structures. I told him I can write in VB or SQL. He said does not care about language. Wants to see how I use data structures I-8: Junior PM from Google+ Questions: Mostly around improve X, improve Y. What non tech product I like? I told I love my Canon Mark III. Discussed it to death and since I know it in an out it was easy to talk about what I would love to change in it Overall, if you know frameworks you are good to go. They don't asking anything earth shattering. HR called in a week and said team loved you.. no questions there but felt that you would be a better fit elsewhere. I was offered a position in Google Tech Services as a Senior Manager. I am a Senior PM in a top company in the Bay area. It did not make sense for me to move into a Tech role. I declined and moved on. In hindsight I thank Google for saying no to me. I'm nearing 40. It does not make sense for me to hang out with 20 year olds PM's. There is only so much I have in common with them. I'm more of a PBS kind of guy. Orange could be the new Blue for all I care.

Interview Questions

• I have been a PM for over 5 years and in marketing and management consulting all my career. Nothing was unexpected. Irksome? yes. But then again I said to myself, a decade ago I was as arrogant as that 20+ kid.   Answer Question

Not a PM position but a position in Google Tech Services

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They warn you ahead of time that the interview process will take months but it was surprising nonetheless. The interviews were fun, I went through a pretty light phone screen with a recruiter, a more rigorous screening with an existing PM, and then three rounds of onsite interviews for one day. After about a week, I heard back from the company saying they would pass on me for now and re-apply, but they refused to give any feedback, which would have been helpful for upcoming interviews and to understand what I could work on if I should re-apply.

Interview Questions

• The NBA championships are about to happen and you produce merchandise showcasing the winning team--but, you don't know which team that will be. What do you produce and how much do you produce to dress the stadium visitors with merchandise?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who set up a technical phone interview for me. The interview question was average in difficulty, I didn't cover a corner case and when I asked the interviewer to add code to cover a specific corner case, he said I was out of time. I didn't get to move on to a second interview. I feel my answer was good enough for screening purpose (you'd assume first phone interview is the screening interview). Anyway, I would say as humans, talking over the phone while coding, we might not be in the best state to cover all the cases especially if it's just the screening call.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

A Google recruiter emailed me out of the blue. After three times of declining (1 month) since I wasn't that interested, I was contacted again so I thought "heck, sure, I'll take an interview". One week later the flew me to Mountain View for the on site. (Gotta admit Google is very generous about the whole travel arrangements! Free hotels, flights, meals, car rentals, etc) The whole experience was very pleasant for the most part. Got the offer 1 week later. The entire process, from initial phone screen to when the offer was made, took two weeks. One thing I'd like to call out and hopefully someone from Google recruiting/interviewing committee would take note is that they perhaps could do a better job at training their interviewers, not just from a technical standpoint but also from other nom-technical ones, especially on "normal" common sense and human interactions. I know we here are all nerds and as such could be a little awkward, which I totally understand. But one particular interviewer made me extremely uncomfortable during the interview since he kept staring at me like there had been something weird on my face and made excessively long eyes contact. I had to look away multiple times. Even when I was explaining my solution which is ON THE WHITE BOARD, he still stared at my face. The person's questions were good and had indept follow-up. So while I'd say he is a good technical interviewer, I still couldn't get over the awkwardness. This is no doubt thr weirdest interview I've ever had. Another minor thing I forgot to mention is that Google make you stay with your host at ALL TIMES. Even when you need to go to the bathroom which could be right next door, the host would follow you and stand at the door waiting for you, which is a bit awkward when you're a woman and your host is not.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so no details here. But I can tell you if you review fundamental CS concepts(sorting,graphs, trees,etc) you should be fine. Just make sure you really understand what you are doing. I don't think they would ask you crazy questions on obscure data structures. Just basics problem solving skills. Also try to be original and honest when it comes to nom-technical questions, such as "why Google?". Don't try to be unique and make up some weird reason. Just tell the truth.   Answer Question

Wasn't sure I want to make a switch yet still love my current job

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for. After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions. - Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace - How have you improved a certain process at work? - Why Google? - Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them? - Name 3 advantages of AdWords - Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work? Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail. The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions: -improvements you would make to your favourite Google product. -Experence pulling and analysing data. The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions: - What accomplishment are you most proud of? - A time when you took the initiative and led a project Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions: -What would you bring to the team? -Why this particular position? -How do you show creativity? Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources: Glassdoor interview feedback Google jobs website Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role) Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Questions

• If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   10 Answers

Negotiation

Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Two technical interviews, one business functions interview and one mixed. The first interview was on the phone and it was 40 minutes. The rest of the interviews were on-site. In addition to the interview I had to give a presentation on Google's business. The subject of the presentation was communicated to me long before the day

Interview Questions

• What data structure would you use to represent a scenario where a person has friends and each friend has friends.   Answer Question