Google Interview Questions

3,564 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,564 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview: The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume. Tow questions: 1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string. 2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines. Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They warn you ahead of time that the interview process will take months but it was surprising nonetheless. The interviews were fun, I went through a pretty light phone screen with a recruiter, a more rigorous screening with an existing PM, and then three rounds of onsite interviews for one day. After about a week, I heard back from the company saying they would pass on me for now and re-apply, but they refused to give any feedback, which would have been helpful for upcoming interviews and to understand what I could work on if I should re-apply.

Interview Questions

• The NBA championships are about to happen and you produce merchandise showcasing the winning team--but, you don't know which team that will be. What do you produce and how much do you produce to dress the stadium visitors with merchandise?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who set up a technical phone interview for me. The interview question was average in difficulty, I didn't cover a corner case and when I asked the interviewer to add code to cover a specific corner case, he said I was out of time. I didn't get to move on to a second interview. I feel my answer was good enough for screening purpose (you'd assume first phone interview is the screening interview). Anyway, I would say as humans, talking over the phone while coding, we might not be in the best state to cover all the cases especially if it's just the screening call.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This is for the Software Engineer and not the System Engineer SRE position. 1 HR screen, 2 technical coding phone screens and finally an Onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of 6 rounds. 5 coding rounds and a 45 minute lunch interview. The SRE folks at Google seriously lack basic communication skills. The only thing they look for in a candidate, is if the the candidate can code like a trained monkey. Not one of the interviewers asked me about my background or even attempted to understand why I was genuinely interested in the role. Each interview will begin like "Interviewer walks into the room and the first thing he says is lets start coding". If you finish the coding in time they will entertain a few questions. But then again, it is completely a 1 sided interview. You are never given a chance to speak of how you would make a good fit for the role, or even what value you bring to the table. You're only job is to get the output. I solved all the questions I was asked and solved them in an optimal way, but i did not get an offer. For reasons which baffle me till today. I did have to think through some of my answers and double check my logic. But apparently this is not acceptable. I dont think the interviewers understand the pressure a candidate is under when there is so much scrutiny. You have to write the code and logic flawlessly the first time around with no room for error or correction. They dont care about the though process either. If you cant manage that, dont get deceived by their smiles you are going home to read a reject email from the recruiter. The SRE's really need to be schooled with the art of basic communication and manners. I really ponder how they would perform if the roles were reversed and they were under the gun doing the coding. The questions asked were of good quality no doubt. But the interviewers are just trained robots.

Interview Questions

• Merging intervals Merge lists/arrays Implement read() using read4k() 1 round of distributed system and large scale system design Compress string "aabcaaaaade" to "aabc5xade". Only compress if it shortens the string. 5xa means char a is repeated 5 times. Question on 2 lists and their union/ intersection/ remove elements present in L1 which are also present in L2   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

One hour w/Accenture Service Delivery Manager and Google infrastructure for contact center Manager. Manager asked specifics regarding experiences listed within your resume and understanding of the job description. Data Center and Contact Center specifics. Must be able to address thoroughly your understanding of IVR, applications, voice recording, and infrastructure that support those platforms.

Interview Questions

• Experience and describe specifically your role and understanding of data center and contact center issues, experiences, and technology used   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google in August 2015.

Interview

Google recruiter approached me for an interview per my profile mentioned at social sites/ blogs, and set the telephonic, followed by on-site interviews. Overall easy and simple process. Of course, they asked about location preference, and few HR related questions.

Interview Questions

• What 8 videos you will project on YouTube home screen, given the user is login first time and no history/ analytics is available for that user?   Answer Question
    • How would you know if website traffic has been reduced after adding a feature? what would you do?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in August 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter which went well. She scheduled another interview for a month later. The 2nd interview went in a completely different direction the moment I picked up the phone. The interviewer acted completely disengaged and seemed annoyed at even having to interview. I tried to be personable, but he would cut me off, scoff at things I said or at questions I asked, and generally seemed like he wished he could be anywhere but interviewing. I was asked to quickly tell him about myself and then he half-heartedly asked me 2 simple behavioral-type questions (If [generic scenario] happened, how would you handle it? If you had to move to a place you've never been to before, what Google products would you use?) and one analytical-type question (below) - he never asked anything further about my resume or about my experiences. I don't think he looked at my resume before the interview or had it in front of him. From start to finish, he treated me with disdain. At the end, he seemed appalled when I asked for an email/contact address (in my experience, sending a short thank you note is common/expected). If it weren't for the nice recruiter, it would probably be the most negative experience I've had in my career as far as interviews go due to the way the interviewer acted. One other thought - I have a number of friends/former colleagues at Google who I contacted after I spoke to the recruiter. I asked them all what they thought being "Googley" meant. They all said similar things - personable, willingness to help, understanding, happy/engaged in their work. The 2nd interviewer was the polar opposite of everything I heard and totally different from my colleagues/friends who work there. It might just be that the finance group (or the interviewer himself) is not like the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• Q: A user has a Chromebook, an Android phone, and a regular laptop. Which device do you think Google would want the user to use more?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online and was notified two days later that in the coming weeks I will have an in person interview while Google will be on my university campus. Two separate 50 minute interviews with two different engineers. Asked typical interview questions, one which caught me off guard.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to add a set {x, y} to a set of disjoint sets in a certain pattern.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

The process was standard for what I had read about Google in the past. I was contacted by a recruiter who was my contact point during the process. He was professional and informative, and overall made the process enjoyable. I was set up with 3 phone interviews, and after the third, I was told that I did not have enough practical experience for the position. Honestly, that was probably correct, and they were courteous about telling me that.