Google

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3,001 candidate interviews

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The process began by submitting an application through the official webpage. In a few days I got an answer, and the interview process started. The recruiter gives you study material for the interview and asks for suitable times for an online interview.
The first interview is with a non-technical recruiter, which is interested in your background, reasons to join Google, previous experiences and so on. Then 1-2 interviews with Google engineers follow. They ask technical questions and puzzles and expect you to solve them in a shared Google doc (no syntax highlighting or whatsoever).
Interview outcome comes pretty quiclky. I went through the first two interviews, but was not called for a personal interview.

Interview Question – What is the complexity of Quick sort? (mean and worst case)   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Had a total of three interviews 2 nearly identical phone interviews and then an on site interview in new york. All were very behavioral and fit based. They ask a lot about your past experiences and how they can relate to the company. It sounds stupid but really know your resume forward and backwards and be able to walk someone through it

Interview Question – They'll throw a couple of brain teasers just to see how you think on your feet, Like how many golf balls fit on a schoolbus or how much Google spends on fixing desk chairs in a year. These questions don't have a right answer, they just want to see you try to apply a logical approach to something super wacky and out there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Its a Summer Internship, don't try to negiotiate, its already an incredible opportunity.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – HR called to arrange interview. Spoke to a very nice guy who explained the position. We went through some programming topics (networks etc) and some fairly in depth unix admin style questions.

Interview Question – How do I find the owner of a block of shared memory   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume, and was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The phone screen went well, but I didn't hear anything for several weeks. Finally, I emailed the recruiter just to find out if the application was still open, and got a canned "not at this time" response.

Interview Question – "What non-Apple product are you most excited about, and why?"   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Had 2 phone interviews then an in person round with 3 individuals at 30 minutes each. Enjoyed the interview process, thought it was seamless, open, and constructive

Interview Question – Be able to express the relevancy of your experience to the exact position interviewing for   Answer Question

Strategic Partnerships Manager Interview

Strategic Partnerships Manager

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – 5 back-to-back interviews, mostly standard background questions and how I would think through biz dev partnerships

Interview Question – What product ideas do you have for Google and how can they add value that is different from current initiatives?   Answer Question

Interview Details – Process 1:
**********
- The Challenge Phase.
    Problem: you are given two-armed Balances one each are you can put weight and
    other balances. Return the minimum weight you add on each arm of each balance
    to make the whole structure balanced.

- First Interview.
        Problem 1: Given two strings (Text & pattern) return true if the pattern
        exists in the text.
        Problem 2: Given List of Strings. Return a list of lists of Strings where
        each to anagram Strings in the input list exist in the same list in the output list.

- Second Interview.
        Problem 1: Implement a data structure that supports two methods
        (Insert(int x),getMedian())
        Problem 2: Given a 2D boolean array. Return the length of the biggest square
        where all elements inside it is true.

- Third Interview.
        It was a culture fit with a lot of HR questions
        (Ex: how do you see managment?, When do you say that "Today is a good day of
        work"?, what about teamwork?,talk about a project you did?) but at the end
        there were two problems also:
        Problem 1: Given a list of integers, Print out all triples that sums to zero.
        Problem 2: Given a sorted circular integer vector. Implement the search on
        such a structure.

Interview Question – Make a perfect Random7() function to produce numbers from 1 to 7 using Random5() function which is perfect.   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Very formal, script-based process:

1. Contact by HR.
2. Scheduled phone interview #1 (one-on-one).
3. Scheduled phone interview #2 (one-on-one, person different from 2).
4. Thank you but no thank you mail :)

Both interviews were absolutely formal and following a strict script: 5 minutes for introduction, 10 minutes for a CV- walk through, 25 minutes for googler questions, 5 minutes for questions from my side. Interviewer shorthanded answers.

Very standard questions like: describe any software product, name its 3 strong and 3 weak features, suggest a plan on improving the weak ones. Take a suggested-by-googler product and describe its deployment and public market release. Suggest a new product and describe its implementation strategy.

Both interviews were driven by googlers and I was only expected to answer their questions, no counter-questions or discussion invitations were appreciated. No interest in my background or real-life experience. No interest in non-standard ("book") answers. The approach seemed to be aimed on post-graduates rather than experienced applicants and outlined quite junior position: not so big decision power on driving a product, no explained criteria for products assignment ("we decide on what you can work") ,etc.

Interview Question – 15 minutes of the second interview were spent on a coin brainteaser:

You have 1 coin and 3 doors. How to pick one of the three doors by tossing a coin? What is the probability for picking each of the doors in the suggested algorithm? Can it be made equal for each door?

The interviewer seemed to not accept an algorithm that differed from his (or book? :)) answer.

Suggested algorithm:
H==head of the coin
T==tail of the coin

Toss the coin 2 times:
HH or TT --> pick door #3
otherwise use result of the very first toss:
if (H1) --> pick door #1
if (T1) --> pick door #2

I have to admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with this question and amount of time we spent on it. In my personal opinion we could have spent the very limited time addressing more real-life issues applicable for the position, so I tried to explain my algorithm as a "quick-dirty" solution and hoped to move on, but apparently for the interviewer it was a much more of principle to get the same answer that they had in mind/book.
  View Answers (4)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – One thing that has to be commended is the wonderful care taken by the recruiter in respect of logistics. They were very accomodating of my schedules. The interview was a gruelling 8 hour process of algorithmic puzzles and teasers which leaves you exhausted but also stimulated at the same time

Interview Question – No question was very difficult. They could all be worked out with some thought. Also the interviewers help you get to the solution   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager

Interview Details – some interesting brain teaser sort of questions

Interview Question – you have one giant cube made of 1000 small cubes(arranged them in 10x10x10) if you put the giant cube into the bucket that filled with water, then how many of small cubes are actually get wet?   View Answers (6)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice. All 3,001 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.