Google

Updated Mar 3, 2015
3,817 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

The process began by submitting an application through the official webpage. In a few days I got an answer, and the interview process started. The recruiter gives you study material for the interview and asks for suitable times for an online interview.
    The first interview is with a non-technical recruiter, which is interested in your background, reasons to join Google, previous experiences and so on. Then 1-2 interviews with Google engineers follow. They ask technical questions and puzzles and expect you to solve them in a shared Google doc (no syntax highlighting or whatsoever).
    Interview outcome comes pretty quiclky. I went through the first two interviews, but was not called for a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the complexity of Quick sort? (mean and worst case)   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Had a total of three interviews 2 nearly identical phone interviews and then an on site interview in new york. All were very behavioral and fit based. They ask a lot about your past experiences and how they can relate to the company. It sounds stupid but really know your resume forward and backwards and be able to walk someone through it

Interview Questions
    • They'll throw a couple of brain teasers just to see how you think on your feet, Like how many golf balls fit on a schoolbus or how much Google spends on fixing desk chairs in a year. These questions don't have a right answer, they just want to see you try to apply a logical approach to something super wacky and out there.   Answer Question
    Its a Summer Internship, don't try to negiotiate, its already an incredible opportunity.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

HR called to arrange interview. Spoke to a very nice guy who explained the position. We went through some programming topics (networks etc) and some fairly in depth unix admin style questions.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Submitted my resume, and was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager. The phone screen went well, but I didn't hear anything for several weeks. Finally, I emailed the recruiter just to find out if the application was still open, and got a canned "not at this time" response.

Interview Questions
    • "What non-Apple product are you most excited about, and why?"   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Had 2 phone interviews then an in person round with 3 individuals at 30 minutes each. Enjoyed the interview process, thought it was seamless, open, and constructive

Interview Questions
    • Be able to express the relevancy of your experience to the exact position interviewing for   Answer Question

Strategic Partnerships Manager Interview

5 back-to-back interviews, mostly standard background questions and how I would think through biz dev partnerships

Interview Questions
    • What product ideas do you have for Google and how can they add value that is different from current initiatives?   Answer Question

Process 1:
    **********
    - The Challenge Phase.
        Problem: you are given two-armed Balances one each are you can put weight and
        other balances. Return the minimum weight you add on each arm of each balance
        to make the whole structure balanced.

- First Interview.
            Problem 1: Given two strings (Text & pattern) return true if the pattern
            exists in the text.
            Problem 2: Given List of Strings. Return a list of lists of Strings where
            each to anagram Strings in the input list exist in the same list in the output list.

- Second Interview.
            Problem 1: Implement a data structure that supports two methods
            (Insert(int x),getMedian())
            Problem 2: Given a 2D boolean array. Return the length of the biggest square
            where all elements inside it is true.

- Third Interview.
            It was a culture fit with a lot of HR questions
            (Ex: how do you see managment?, When do you say that "Today is a good day of
            work"?, what about teamwork?,talk about a project you did?) but at the end
            there were two problems also:
            Problem 1: Given a list of integers, Print out all triples that sums to zero.
            Problem 2: Given a sorted circular integer vector. Implement the search on
            such a structure.

Interview Questions
    • Make a perfect Random7() function to produce numbers from 1 to 7 using Random5() function which is perfect.   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google.

Very formal, script-based process:

1. Contact by HR.
    2. Scheduled phone interview #1 (one-on-one).
    3. Scheduled phone interview #2 (one-on-one, person different from 2).
    4. Thank you but no thank you mail :)

Both interviews were absolutely formal and following a strict script: 5 minutes for introduction, 10 minutes for a CV- walk through, 25 minutes for googler questions, 5 minutes for questions from my side. Interviewer shorthanded answers.

Very standard questions like: describe any software product, name its 3 strong and 3 weak features, suggest a plan on improving the weak ones. Take a suggested-by-googler product and describe its deployment and public market release. Suggest a new product and describe its implementation strategy.

Both interviews were driven by googlers and I was only expected to answer their questions, no counter-questions or discussion invitations were appreciated. No interest in my background or real-life experience. No interest in non-standard ("book") answers. The approach seemed to be aimed on post-graduates rather than experienced applicants and outlined quite junior position: not so big decision power on driving a product, no explained criteria for products assignment ("we decide on what you can work") ,etc.

Interview Questions
    • 15 minutes of the second interview were spent on a coin brainteaser:

You have 1 coin and 3 doors. How to pick one of the three doors by tossing a coin? What is the probability for picking each of the doors in the suggested algorithm? Can it be made equal for each door?

The interviewer seemed to not accept an algorithm that differed from his (or book? :)) answer.

Suggested algorithm:
      H==head of the coin
      T==tail of the coin

Toss the coin 2 times:
      HH or TT --> pick door #3
      otherwise use result of the very first toss:
      if (H1) --> pick door #1
      if (T1) --> pick door #2

I have to admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with this question and amount of time we spent on it. In my personal opinion we could have spent the very limited time addressing more real-life issues applicable for the position, so I tried to explain my algorithm as a "quick-dirty" solution and hoped to move on, but apparently for the interviewer it was a much more of principle to get the same answer that they had in mind/book.

View Answers (6)

Software Engineer Interview

One thing that has to be commended is the wonderful care taken by the recruiter in respect of logistics. They were very accomodating of my schedules. The interview was a gruelling 8 hour process of algorithmic puzzles and teasers which leaves you exhausted but also stimulated at the same time

Interview Questions
    • No question was very difficult. They could all be worked out with some thought. Also the interviewers help you get to the solution   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

some interesting brain teaser sort of questions

Interview Questions
    • you have one giant cube made of 1000 small cubes(arranged them in 10x10x10) if you put the giant cube into the bucket that filled with water, then how many of small cubes are actually get wet?   View Answers (7)