Google Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015
4,036 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google.

Interview

I got this interview pretty early, about early October. Two 45-minutes interview, the questions are basic, but I failed I made the question complicated. Of course there was also some project questions.

Software Development Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google (Hoboken, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

The first one is a non-technical phone call and is more of an informal chat. Asked to talk about my past projects and answer some questions, such as interests, research focus and my available to the next technical phone screen. Then he explains the Google interview process and provides some tips as well as some links for interviewing with Google.

Interview Questions

• What is your main research focus?
      Talk about your past project.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Interview

2 Hangout interviews. First, DS question (sliding window) and second, couple of Java and OO questions. Interviewers were very helpful and caring. They also asked about the projects I did in the past. Overall, very positive experience!

Summer Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter saying that they would like me to do a couple of technical phone interviews. The phone interviews were two weeks later. And I received my decision about a week later. My recruiter was very kind and helpful. He responded quickly to emails and answered every questions I had about the process.

Interview Questions

• I am bound by a non-disclosure agreement so I cannot tell you the exact questions. But the first interview consisted of a couple of technical questions about programming languages and discrete math and one programming question. The second was entirely programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Interview

Three rounds of technical interviews, no behavior questions. The attitude of the recruiter is really friendly. First round hardest, then gradually each round gets better. Back to back. First round asks a probability and derivative related math question, and a regular expression match. Second round is pthread, and array operations. Third round is the easiest IMO, just quite normal OJ type hash question.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Google flew me out to California after a single phone screen. I and my phone interviewer had gotten along very well; we covered tech, management, and process in about 45 minutes.

The recruiters were nice, although "nice" in a generic sense - you got the idea that they saw thousands of candidates each week and you were not even a name to them (for example, my recruiter had not remembered that I was unwilling to relocate, and was applying for Google in my city). The recruiting coordinators, though, were absolutely top-notch. I had a minor emergency that required a last minute reschedule, and they pulled heroics to get me there on time. Kudos to you RCs.

The interviews themselves were a mixed bag. Google was using the Microsoft-style interview process (and, oh, how they would hate to see themselves compared to the hated MS!) where you get an as-appropriate "as-app" interview at the end. So you don't know exactly how many interviews you'll get. If you get walked out in the middle of the day because your later interviewers "went home" or were "suddenly pulled away on an emergency" then it's already gg.

My first interviewer was amazing - the caliber of Smart Person we all like to work with. We had a great conversation that precisely split between business and tech. Incredibly good to talk with, although I didn't do well (this was apparently the mobile group, and I cannot possibly express how little I care about mobile - I don't even use apps).

The second interviewer, by contrast, was someone I would have fired from my org. He wasted his time and mine by asking me a stupid puzzle question - something about weighing gold coins - which I figured out quickly. Puzzle questions like this are stupid. They teach the interviewer nothing about how the candidate will function in their job; if they know the *trick*, they'll pass. Sure, I figured it out, but it was a complete waste of time. I've done well over a thousand technical interviews in my time, and I would have disallowed this.

Most of the rest of the interviews - basic service design, lunch-and-culture-fit, scenario-based problem solving, and technical conversations were all reasonable and fine. My final interviewer (the "as-app") did not want to hire me from the word go, however. He started late, cut early, and spent the intervening time checking his watch. I've had bad interviews before - as I said earlier, my first interview here didn't go well and it was entirely my fault - but this guy had ZERO interest in interviewing me. I would have been happier if they'd just cut me early.

Ad Tech Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Received email from a recruiter, told me she thought I would be a better fit for another position and asked if I was interested in. Then asked me to send her my transcript then schedule an interview with her. I did, however when the time came, no phone call. I sent a follow up email to the recruiter, no reply. Very unprofessional, couldn't believe this would happen at Google.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview, because the recruiter "no show"   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with someone from HR (basic; typical professional screening process) then I was set up for an on site interviewwith 2 people; I got 4 rounds of interviews; I proceeded in the rounds but if I wasnt doing well it would have stopped.

It was difficult in going through all these rounds over the course of 4-6 weeks and then not getting an offer and no reason given.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The interview was via phone, so it was only a phone screening.
    The questions were easy and very straight forward. Talked briefly regarding the position and expectations. Nothing was unexpected. Honestly thought it was too easy that they'd put me off but they offered on site interview. Everything was just smooth sailing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How would you go about talking to business owners about Google product?

Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

After recruiter screen, a phone screen was set up. 45 minutes. Just asked big high level "moonshot" idea question. Practice coming up w/ crazy ideas on random topics on the fly.

Interview Questions

• I'd rather not say specifically what the question was but I was proposed a random topic and instructed to come up w/ big creative, never been done before ideas to solve the problem   1 Answer