Google Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
3,911 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

2 Hangout interviews. First, DS question (sliding window) and second, couple of Java and OO questions. Interviewers were very helpful and caring. They also asked about the projects I did in the past. Overall, very positive experience!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

There are 3 phone calls, each for about 45 min, which are made in the same day. All three phone calls are very technical. One question on system design, one on data structure, and one on algorithm. Google docs is used to write code. The reviewer will ask you write some tests and intentionally leave sth unspecified.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a data structure to support dynamic insertion, deletion of intervals. Overlapping intervals should be merged.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Research Interview

Three 45-minute technical interviews + host match interviews. I had several host match interviews and one (but not the first) of them is very interesting. So it is better to wait and choose a job which is interesting instead of committing early.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I first had two technical interviews by phone that went quite well.

Then I did an onsite (I live 10 miles away from their campus) that consisted of 6 sessions of interviews.

Despite the claim that Google no longer uses puzzles in interviews, I found that 2 out of 6 interviews consisted of solving tedious puzzles. I would say that 4 of the 6 sets of interviewers were friendly, one fellow was outright cold, one was slightly negative.

Interviewer 1 (solo): Friendly and enthusiastic.

Interviewer 2 (solo): Friendly but not enthusiastic. Seemed to want to hire a different type of person more like himself.

Interviewer 3 (solo): Rather cold. He did tell me he knew that I'd interviewed at Youtube earlier, which felt creepy especially because the more memorable interviewers at Youtube were creepy. Imagine being reminded of a BAD experience. Right after which, he presented a tedious puzzle! When I was solving his puzzle, I felt I was constantly interrupted and hounded. I wanted to ask him to please be quiet, but I judged from his attitude that could have ended the interview prematurely. In the Q&A part, it was revealed he had never heard of Google's Project Ara. Maybe he was having a bad day... at my expense.

Interviewer 4 (lunchtime casual talk, solo): Friendly and enthusiastic. It was a relief to talk with him after the previous guy. A big relief...

Interviewer 5 (solo): Moderately friendly, presented a puzzle. I solved it. I got a feeling he seemed to want to hire a different type of person more like himself.

Interviewer 6 (solo): Someone quite like myself. Only person to ask intelligent/wise questions and took notes.

To Google's credit, there were no team interviews (that I recall).

Long after the interview, I got emails from Google asking me to help them improve their interview process. That's why I came to Glassdoor....

Interview Questions
    • Given some input data consisting of sets of increasing numbers, match patterns where the sequenc of deltas between the numbers match.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

It started off with a recruiter getting the basic background information and stressing upon what will be asked in the interview.He then scheduled a technical interview.The technical interview started off with a formal chat and then a question based on data structures implementation.I answered with brute force approach initially and then went on to other implementations.The engineer was quite helpful and helping me when am stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Implementation a max value in an arrray (specific conditions mentioned).A BST implementation.   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

At Google I was able to tell if I was going to get the job or not based on how long the process took. I say this because I was interviewed twice by Google 3 and a half months apart- both times a recruiter reached out to me to apply.

The first time, I was interviewed over a 6-7 week period. I had an initial screen with a recruiter, then a follow-up screen with a recruiter (they asked about my undergrad GPA, in addition to asking about my job history!) and then had an in-person Mountain View interview where I met with 5 people, some of them via video conference (which I had never done before and it felt weird then - now it's so natural). Then the next week I had a phone interview with a guy who was the head of a parallel group that my group would be working with. He called me 1/2 hour late, was rushed, apologized profusely, and while I felt good about that phone interview, I felt it would have been far better in person and the phone guy seemed rushed and didn't have it all together - I had a feeling he might be a bit biased against me because he felt chagrined about being late and he associated that discomfiture feeling to my interview. After that final interview I didn't hear back for two weeks so I suspected maybe I didn't get the job. And no, I didn't get the job. But it was a really successful set of interviews overall and I had a good feeling about it throughout the process. I was sad when I didn't get the offer, but I was working somewhere I really liked already, and was just flattered that Google had reached out at all. At least their call made me put together a resume, something I hadn't done in some years.

The second time I was interviewed, the same recruiter called back 3 months later, and said the group that had really liked me the first time but had given the job to someone else really wanted me to apply for this position again and would I consider interviewing for the same position but now it was in a different group and I'd have to interview with different people. I said sure. That time around, I again had another phone interview (after the initial phone consult), then another day of interviews with 6 people. I again felt good about the interview -the difference is this time I got an offer within a few days of the final interview. Yay!

It's amazing how much validation even getting an interview with Google gives you internally (how you view yourself I mean) - to get the job offer was something beyond my wildest dreams.

Now that I'm at Google, I really love my job. It took some time to get to know my job well, especially that first year, and the legal department can sometimes seem a little cliquely when you first join it but that will go away with time (there are people who have worked together for years there and it's hard to break in sometimes)- but I don't think there is another workplace that comes close to it in terms of how it looks out for its employees, and in terms of the intellectual challenges that my job gives me, and I highly recommend it.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the interview questions at all - and these differed anyway depending on whether you're seeking a product counsel or commercial counsel position.

But I would encourage you to be yourself, don't worry about dressing to fit in, just wear what makes you comfortable (since that is going to help you think better anyway), and answer questions thoughtfully.

Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Google.

An agency recruiter reached out to me and did a pre-screen. I was set up with a phone interview with an onsite recruiter. The phone screen was about 25-30 minutes long that consisted of me explaining my background and I was then asked 2 questions. 1. We are building a new engineering building for our newly formed engineering team. Where should we put this building and why? 2. How do you think Google makes their money?

Interview Questions
    • Where should we build our brand new engineering building for a brand new team that we are creating.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Phone interview after speaking to several recruiters. Everyone I spoke with was extraordinary polite. Lots of behavior questions: motivating teammates, working with entry level employees, dealing with the stress of long hours. Far fewer technical questions than expected. Plenty of time to ask questions at the end with honest feedback.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work with younger employees who are apprehensive about making phone calls?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

I only had two phone interviews. First one was fairly easy: What is the time complexity of quick sort? Inserting into a binary tree? The second one was a coding problem.

Interview Questions
    • You are given an n by n array filled with '0's, and you have to set randomly X number of '1's in that array. Looping and generating x random number doesn't work as you might get the same random number (especially as X gets closer to n*n, collisions will become more likely in which case you'll loop for a very long time before filling all the '1's). All positions must have the same probability to get selected, and the array might be huge.   View Answers (14)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Two technical interviews, each around 45 min, coding on Google docs.
    The first one, a very nice European, just one tree question. In the beginning I'm not clear with the problem description. So wrote a not efficient solution. Then we discussed the complexity with current codes. Then he followed up to ask me to improved current codes. I figure out there's one condition I didn't use. Finally I finish up the efficient solution, he asked me to refactor the codes and I did.
    The second one, an Indian, three technical questions. The phone is not quite clear. So he wrote the questions down on the Google docs. I finished them all.