Google

Updated Dec 15, 2014
3,482 Interview Reviews

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Recuriter setup phone interviews. An interviewer asked some C programming questions. It was not hard but I didn't give answer which the interviewer expected. Google interviews seem to be very proud as Google employees. After one week, I got email saying unfortunately I didn't pass the phone interview. Maybe I will try it next year again.

Interview Questions
    • Not much hard but they expected answers they expected.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied for some administration positions throughout 2014. My resume must of been weeded out from the data banks. Was reached out by email, the recruiter was fast & responsive with all emails on setting dates/times to connect on the phone. The telephonic was a simple generic meet & greet and going over my resume. The next telephonic was set for the following week with another HR personnel which was all about critical thinking questions, no right or wrong answers, they just want to know how you respond! Got feed back the same day from the recruiter stating she received my 'results' from the critical thinking telephonic, and my resume is being passed along internally in finding an available role that might be a strong match for me. And that was it. I was never up for a job per se, I was screened as a potential future candidate for admin roles. Never heard from them again. But the whole experience of being phoned screened was pleasant & accommodating. Bare in mind, I wasn't being interviewed by people in a room, these were just phone conversations for a job that doesn't exist & probably will never hear from them again!

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral for three positions. HR coordinators replied for all three positions letting me know if I was being considered or not. My resume was passed on to one team for review - unfortunately I didn't get any further in the process. I never spoke to an HR person or anything like that.

Software Engineer College Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

An HR person contacted a week after I submitted application online around mid Oct. The phone interview was then scheduled to be early Dec.

The phone interview was awful. A guy called. He did not say 'Hi' or 'How are you?'. He did not even introduce himself. He was very quiet and did not speak clear English. I had major difficulty hearing and understanding his accent. He did not tell me his name until I asked him 20 min into the interview. He was not very responsive to my questions for clarification or 'am I on track' kind of question. He did not recognize some of the most basic C/C++ conventions ( for example, a ? b : c ). He told me that my code was hard to understand and he was not sure if that code could work. He prepared two coding questions. Per the communication delay, it took me 35 min to finish the first one. He seemed rather impatient and did not ask me the second coding question at all. He doubted 'did you prepare for this interview?'. Then he said 'Oh, you are from physics, not computer science'. Clearly, he did not think I could do C/C++. Oh well, good for him.

His voice was low, down, unhappy, and robotic. I tried to sweeten the atmosphere twice, unsuccessfully. Honestly, I think it is the interviewer's job to make the interviewing atmosphere pleasant to both parties. If you tape record our 43min conversation, you would feel that I was the interviewer and he was the interviewee.

I had very high expectation for a Google interviewer. He was utterly unprepared at the best. I am just disappointed.

Later on, I learned from some friends that they had similar experiences with Google interviews. Some Google interviewers are really nasty to deal with, say the least.

Google is a great place in general. But I am nowhere near desperate for an offer. I would not consider Google in any near future and I will tell my friends to be prepared for some Google interviews like this.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particular. I am not allowed to share the interview question anyway.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I Apply in school career fair. After few days, I get e-mail for arranging interviews. First I need to fill out some forms and send out possible interview times. Two 45 minutes back to back interviews was arranged, one focus on technical skills another focus on research. After two days, received e-mail for arranging another technical interview. Two weeks after second interview, received rejection e-mail.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I was contacted due to an open-source software I created in a very specific area. After two phone interviews that were closely related to topics close to my software I was invited to an on-site interview. The questions I got there were mostly general algorithmic questions, i.e. to write functions for a given task, such as "What is a deadlock. Give a code example that might cause one" and also about modifications and filtering of raw buffer data using bit operators.

Most of it was out of my comfort zone as my expertise and the prospective job is in a very different areas so I had to improvise a lot, especially for the deadlocks and buffer data questions. There was surprising little questions concerning the area of why I thought I was invited.

One of the questions I totally got lost and were not able to read that the interviewer tried to tell me to take a different approach. Also I did not take the chance after the interview to ask for the actual solution which might have spun a fruitful reflection about my admittedly silly attempts.

I haven't yet gotten an answer for now I'll set it to "No offer" as that reflects what my gut feeling tells me.

Interview Questions
    • A square matrix of size n^2 and random entries from 0 ... n^2, find the longest sequence of consecutive neighbours (i.e. top, left, bottom, right entries).   View Answers (2)
    • Find the n-th digit of a number which is constructed by concatenation of all natural numbers.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online. Two phone interviews and onsite interview. Phone interviews jumped directly to the coding problems but not very hard. Just basic algorithms. Four rounds onsite interview, not very hard. The atmosphere in google in really good.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online through their general link for internship applications. Was surprised to hear back just a few days later from a recruiting coordinator, who asked me to choose 3 time slots for phone interviews. The interviews ended up being about 3 weeks after our initial contact. The phone interviews were rather relaxed, the interviewers were very nice. I definitely over studied, I was memorizing complicated graph algorithms and other high-level topics and the interview questions ended up being much simpler than I expected. The three interviews were all back to back with 15 minute breaks in between, and I think I did pretty well overall. There was one programming problem (out of 6 total) I was not able to answer fully, and I'm going to be kicking myself about it for some time. I have not heard back from them yet (interview was yesterday), so no word on offer/ no offer.

Interview Questions
    • I will honor the NDA I signed with Google, but definitely be comfortable with the edge cases of simple algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online and was shocked to hear back from a recruiting specialist. I thought resumes at Google go into a black hole unless someone refers you. Anyways, she wanted to set a time to chat about the role. It was easy to schedule, and we spoke within a few days, and I was moved onto the second phone interview. I was provided with a lot of detail of how the interview process worked but was given conflicting information from the RC and recruiting specialist on what the 2nd phone interview was really about. I felt like I didn't do too well on that second interview.

Two days after the 2nd phone interview, I received a call saying I wouldn't be moving forward. Overall, I felt like I was treated with respect and really appreciate how quickly they were moving.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a candidate was scheduled to interview at another office and you get a call that the car picking them up didn't arrive at the airport?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Write a Java function, printTree(), which prints a given tree with hierarchy. The argument of printTree is a stream of pairs of string values. Each string found anywhere in the input represents a unique node.
    Each item in the stream is a pair indicating a parent/child relationship in the tree. The first element in the pair is the parent. The second element in the pair is the child.Each parent can have many children. A generic class pair<T,U> is required to implement

Interview Questions
    • I never thought generics implementation will be asked and I haven't done that for a while, which took me about 10 min to do the generics implementation   Answer Question