Google

3,032 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Start with a phone screen, and the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, talk about my portfolio, and finally ask questions to them. Very ordinary interview process. The interviewer sounds bored from the very beginning though, and the whole conversation makes me feel we were just trying to accomplish the interview task.

Interview Question – Your thoughts about a Google product that you use.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I got an email from the recruiter within 45 minutes of submitting an application, but the whole process of the interview took nearly a month. The first interview was a phone interview, which wasn't too tricky. The interviewer was very kind and help with any questions I had. After passing the phone interview I moved to an onsite interview. I had a series of 4 interviews. None of the questions I got asked where too challenging, but all of the interviewers pressed me for more or to expand on what I had after I had worked out a problem. All but one of the interviews were kind and helped me with any questions, but the last one was tight lipped throughout the interview, and just expected me to figure it all out and write it on the board.

Interview Question – The one that tripped me up asked me to write code to return all words in a dictionary that can be formed from a string of numbers (e.g. 34556), where the numbers map the same why they do on a phone (e.g. 1->A, B, or C).   View Answer

3D Artist Management Interview

3D Artist Management

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First, you're contacted by a HR person, and they check your availability. Then they schedule an interview with a second person. This person seems to be sort of an intermediate HR person with some technical knowledge. For this first interview, there's a shared Google doc where they will test you for any technical skills (specifically programming) to ensure that you know how to do what you said you could. After that, presuming that you don't blow it, they schedule an interview with the program manager of that department. Since this job had management aspects, I was mostly grilled on my management experience.

Interview Question – what are the 5 stages of a project   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details – Going for first technical this Monday! Applied online a long time ago, more then a few months ago but less then a year? maybe. So the first phone call was a basic screening, see if your a candidate for the process, you set a date and your left to study for that, which I am currently doing. Will keep this upto date.

Interview Question – Study, Study, Study. I'm reading Gayle Laakmann McDowell's Cracking the Coding Interview 5th edition to prep.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – One round phone interview. The HR helped me to set up the phone interview. It took around 45 min. The questions were not touch. At first, serveral questions about the java. And one coding question. Keep communication during the interview.

Interview Question – Not difficult. It is like why can not compare two strings. And how to compare one object which initialed as a string with string. The coding quesition is to find the kth in two sorted arrays.   View Answer

Consumer Operations, Web Editor Interview

Consumer Operations, Web Editor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details – A Google recruiter contacted me via email. I responded, and the recruiter passed me off to another recruiter to set up a phone interview. I provided the second recruiter with some times…and heard nothing. I waited a few days, then sent another email, and got an out-off-office/vacation email. I sent an email to the first recruiter, who apologized and volunteered to do the phone interview; I agreed.

The phone interview didn’t go well--I don't interview well, but this was worse than usual because of the din in the room from which the recruiter was calling. She also seemed bored, or disinterested, and she seemed to be reading off of a script.

So then I was surprised to receive an email a few days later requesting that we "connect" later in the week. I agreed, and set up a call for 3 p.m. today. I asked the recruiter whether I'd be talking to anyone else; she said no. I asked her if I could do anything to prepare; she said no. Nevertheless, I spent some time trying to prepare (reading other's interview experiences here really helped), and I sat in one of my current employer's phone rooms for half an hour before the call reviewing my notes.

Well, 3 p.m. came and went. At 3:10 p.m., I sent the recruiter an email asking whether we were still on. She responded quickly, saying that her previous appointment was running over. At 3:40 p.m., she finally called, but not to conduct a followup interview--she was calling to tell me that Google wasn't interested in me, but that "if any positions open up for I was qualified," she'd give me a call. More reading off of a script.

I know that I suck at interviews; I know that Google is a premier employer, and as such can afford to be selective. I know that it was a long shot. But for Pete's sake, don't get my hopes up, and don't waste my time, by setting up a phone call for which you're 40 minutes late just to tell me to get lost! I suspect that Google has set a policy whereby even rejects receive the courtesy of a phone call, and that's a laudable idea, but you have to have buy-in from your recruiting staff. Based on this, I'd much rather have a simple email blowoff.

Maybe a got a particularly bad Google recruiter, but even with my low expectation of success, I think the experience was pretty poor.

Interview Question – What are some ways that you would evaluate website content? When was the last time you managed people?   Answer Question

Enterprise Product Manager Interview

Enterprise Product Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2010.

Interview Details – Has initial phone interview with HR. Scheduled a phone interview with a product manager in the Google NY office. The interviewer asked me general questions about my background and about how I think Google makes money from ads. I was also asked why I want the PM role (as I have a technical background). I was asked why I want to work at Google and which Google products are my favorite. I mentioned that I like the Google search engine. Overall I got the impression that Google gets many applicants and they are really looking for candidates with MBAs and exceptional backgrounds for their PM roles.

Interview Question – Why don't you use Google Scholar for searching for publications?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Personal reasons - did not want to relocate to NY.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Interview Details – I applied online and hear back within a few weeks. Interview process took 1 month, I had 2 rounds of interviews. All interviews were over the phone, the interviewers were very polite and friendly.

Interview Question – Interview Question – Describe your favorite Google product . I talked about Google Maps.   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Associate Account Strategist
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I knew someone who had graduated a few years before me from my university and was talking to him about his position with Google. Eventually he helped refer me to HR after I filled out the online application. I waited about 2 weeks and got the initial email inviting me to a phone interview. The format was two 30-minute interviews with 2 different people. I was VERY nervous and ended up not doing too well and did not get called back for that position. They asked me the usual "Why Google? Why Sales?" questions and general behavioral questions about working on a team or having a difficult client. They also asked me about AdWords, its advantages, and how I would describe it to a child.

What tripped me up were the questions about Google products. They asked me to discuss my favorite one and describe how I would market it to someone. They also asked about a product that currently is not using the most effective marketing strategy and how I would change that.

Luckily, my friend also referred me to a couple other positions so after another couple weeks I got a call from an HR representative asking me about what I might be interested in and the teams that were still interested in me. Later on that week I got my second chance at a phone interview for this new team. They asked me very similar questions so this time I was prepared. Some new questions I got were, "If you were given $10 million, what would you do with it?" And, "If you were given $10 and told to do something useful with it, what would you do?" They also asked me to describe something that I knew a lot about that the interviewer likely wouldn't know.

Later that day I was invited for an on-site interview. They paid for all my expenses and everyone at the office was extremely nice. The format once again was two 1-on-1 interviews. Most of the questions I got on-site were similar to what I'd gotten during my phone interviews.

Overall, no one is trying to trip you up like you often experience in other places so it can be an easy interview if you spend some time preparing. Make sure to know AdWords and find a way to show your personality!

It took 3 weeks after my on-site to get an offer which is a little longer than usual, but whenever there was a delay I'd get a call from HR so it helped me not worry too much.

Interview Questions

• Describe AdWords to a child or your technology-challenged grandmother in under a minute   Answer Question
  • Your client is a local car dealership who uses AdWords but is not interested in expanding into mobile advertising. What are some advantages to mobile advertising that you would bring up in order to convince him or her to do so?   Answer Question