Google

Updated Dec 22, 2014
3,499 Interview Reviews

3.5

Intern Interview

I Apply in school career fair. After few days, I get e-mail for arranging interviews. First I need to fill out some forms and send out possible interview times. Two 45 minutes back to back interviews was arranged, one focus on technical skills another focus on research. After two days, received e-mail for arranging another technical interview. Two weeks after second interview, received rejection e-mail.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I was contacted due to an open-source software I created in a very specific area. After two phone interviews that were closely related to topics close to my software I was invited to an on-site interview. The questions I got there were mostly general algorithmic questions, i.e. to write functions for a given task, such as "What is a deadlock. Give a code example that might cause one" and also about modifications and filtering of raw buffer data using bit operators.

Most of it was out of my comfort zone as my expertise and the prospective job is in a very different areas so I had to improvise a lot, especially for the deadlocks and buffer data questions. There was surprising little questions concerning the area of why I thought I was invited.

One of the questions I totally got lost and were not able to read that the interviewer tried to tell me to take a different approach. Also I did not take the chance after the interview to ask for the actual solution which might have spun a fruitful reflection about my admittedly silly attempts.

I haven't yet gotten an answer for now I'll set it to "No offer" as that reflects what my gut feeling tells me.

Interview Questions
    • A square matrix of size n^2 and random entries from 0 ... n^2, find the longest sequence of consecutive neighbours (i.e. top, left, bottom, right entries).   View Answers (2)
    • Find the n-th digit of a number which is constructed by concatenation of all natural numbers.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online. Two phone interviews and onsite interview. Phone interviews jumped directly to the coding problems but not very hard. Just basic algorithms. Four rounds onsite interview, not very hard. The atmosphere in google in really good.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online through their general link for internship applications. Was surprised to hear back just a few days later from a recruiting coordinator, who asked me to choose 3 time slots for phone interviews. The interviews ended up being about 3 weeks after our initial contact. The phone interviews were rather relaxed, the interviewers were very nice. I definitely over studied, I was memorizing complicated graph algorithms and other high-level topics and the interview questions ended up being much simpler than I expected. The three interviews were all back to back with 15 minute breaks in between, and I think I did pretty well overall. There was one programming problem (out of 6 total) I was not able to answer fully, and I'm going to be kicking myself about it for some time. I have not heard back from them yet (interview was yesterday), so no word on offer/ no offer.

Interview Questions
    • I will honor the NDA I signed with Google, but definitely be comfortable with the edge cases of simple algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online and was shocked to hear back from a recruiting specialist. I thought resumes at Google go into a black hole unless someone refers you. Anyways, she wanted to set a time to chat about the role. It was easy to schedule, and we spoke within a few days, and I was moved onto the second phone interview. I was provided with a lot of detail of how the interview process worked but was given conflicting information from the RC and recruiting specialist on what the 2nd phone interview was really about. I felt like I didn't do too well on that second interview.

Two days after the 2nd phone interview, I received a call saying I wouldn't be moving forward. Overall, I felt like I was treated with respect and really appreciate how quickly they were moving.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a candidate was scheduled to interview at another office and you get a call that the car picking them up didn't arrive at the airport?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Write a Java function, printTree(), which prints a given tree with hierarchy. The argument of printTree is a stream of pairs of string values. Each string found anywhere in the input represents a unique node.
    Each item in the stream is a pair indicating a parent/child relationship in the tree. The first element in the pair is the parent. The second element in the pair is the child.Each parent can have many children. A generic class pair<T,U> is required to implement

Interview Questions
    • I never thought generics implementation will be asked and I haven't done that for a while, which took me about 10 min to do the generics implementation   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I participated in a phone screen interview. The interview was supposed to last 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about his background for the first 5 minutes and then asked me a question. We spent the rest of the time working on that question and some simple extensions of it.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not supposed to talk about the questions they ask for the interviews.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

I had two back to back phone interviews, scheduled well in advance. I cannot disclose the exact questions due to an NDA I signed. But it was a fun and challenging experience. I the first round the interviewer started with asking about my background and then a very simple problem in java. The second interviewer asked a simple question related to binary trees. He then moved on to a complex problem, which i did very badly. Partly because I was surprised that the interviewer had another question, had I known this I would have not spent more time in the first question.

Interview Questions
    • There is definitely more than one question in a 45 minute interview.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Apply online and HR gets back to me with in one day. Interview is scheduled and pushed that out due to unavailability of interviewer. Finally date and time are set. Interviewer has strong accent and couldn't understand what he's asking most of the time. No introduction of who he is and what's his role in the team. Just start off with bunch of questions. Hear lot of keyboard strike noise. Interviewer must be typing during interview and also there is a lot of echo when ever interviewer puts phone on speaker. Interviewer has no knowledge about technology/role which is advertised.Not at all enjoy the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

1 HR interview, introducing basic interview process. Just need to answer some simple questions about your resume. After that, they will give you an email describing all the things you need to master before the tech interview. Including the site, type of questions, and so on.
    2 Tech interview. Solve an algorithm problem.
    1) Traverse a binary search tree. Find the sum of this tree.
    2) Return all the subset of size k whose sum will be n

Be sure to use topcoder, it's a wonderful site with great tutorial. And, even better, it gives you practice room which you can test your code to see your code's performance.
    However, my suggestion is that you start with google doc, because that's how you will really use in an interview. Only after you have finished coding in your google doc, you copy and paste your answer into your topcoder practice room system, and use that to test your answer. You should also do this within the time limit, which is not 45 minutes, because the real interview will leave some time for you to ask questions and some chat at the beginning.

So it would be appropriate if you could solve the problem within 30 minutes, the problem will not be too hard, but it definitely needs strong preparation.

Interview Questions
    • second question because that's require a lot of performance consideration.   Answer Question