Google

Updated Jan 21, 2015
3,620 Interview Reviews

3.5

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Phone Screens: 1 pre-screen done by the recruiter, very basic questions meant to weed out the junior. (i.e. Is OSPF link-state or distance-vector?)

Pending that goes well, you're moved onto 2 other phone screens, 1 technical, and 1 soft skill (hiring manager). All screens thus far were basic networking, but you are strongly encouraged to go as deep as you can into each topic/question, there were also various questions about basic Linux networking stack/resource questions for troubleshooting.

If those go well, you're flown down and brought onsite. The experience here was pretty great overall, the hotel is booked for you in San Jose, you have the option to rent a car or have a hired car take you to/from the airport and to/from the interview. There is also a $35 per diem for food.

The on-sites were heavily technical, not particularly difficult from my point of view as I've been through day long, multiple interviews a handful of times - in my case I had 6, 1 was strictly a lunch and not really an interview (it's basically treated as a break). That interviewer says they don't provide feedback for you, not sure if I believe that. I won't divulge questions as per NDA, but you need to know your routing protocols and TCP very, very well. I was asked about BGP, OSPF, MPLS/RSVP, L3VPNs, TCP/IP and UDP protocols. In addition to that, Linux and it's tools and fundamentals were core topics as well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really stood out from my end, even still - NDA.   Answer Question

If I were out of college or going for my first job, I'd say it's a fair offer. However for someone with multiple years experience in large cloud environments, it was pretty disappointing - especially if you're going to be living in California. The base salary was sub 100. There is a % based bonus per year, as well as stock. Signing bonus isn't guaranteed, but I was offered one.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

two 45-mins interviews. the interviewer was late for 15 mins, and asked questions here and there. Some questions were rephrased multiple times, so it was difficult for me to follow. Those algorithmic questions were very easy to give brute force solutions, but I needed to give more than one solutions. The difficult part was I didn't know in which direction I should think.

Interview Questions
    • how do you select words randomly and proportionally from a word list? Another question was that there was a class defined as "final", what will happen if I instantiate this class?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I aplied online, after two weeks I received an email to schedule a screening phone interview. It lasted 20 mins. The recruiter described the position and asked questions about my technical background. I am waiting for technical interview.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Contacted by a recruiter and they were very friendly through the process. They did an initial phone call where they gave information on the company and I was asked to answer some basic professional questions.

Was interesting that I was not being interviewed for a specific position, but for a general programming role - they find you a project that suits you.

After the phone screen with the recruiter, there is a phone call set up with a developer.

Software Engineer Interview

One 45 minute phone interview and five 45 minute on-site interviews until I got the informal offer (more "approval"). Then three team fit calls and many other various phone calls before I got the offer.

MBA, Bilingual Tokyo Interview

I was contacted by email to set up a online interview. I was surprised I got to the interview stage because I did not have that extensive a background in business. The interviewer was friendly and very easy to talk to. He asked me detailed questions about my resume and why I wanted to work for google in specific. Although I did not get the position it was a great experience and I got some good pointers for future applications. The position was looking for someone who has a least five years of business experience in the field.

Interview Questions
    • As this was just an introductory interview there was not really any unexpected questions. It was mostly trying to get more information about my background.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Google.

I applied using a referral and was contacted the next day for an interview. The recruiter was exceptionally friendly and helpful. she told me exactly what to expect in the upcoming days. and she was spot on. The interview itself was pleasant and nice. My interview seemed engaged and warm. I just didn't have the technical Bona Fides they wanted

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at the level of detail we got into for the first interview. Everything I said the interview drilled down to the bottom.   View Answer

Children's Center Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I applied online. I was put through the ringer for over 8 months, with 3 different recruiters who kept asking the same questions. Your completed application packet gets compiled and sent to a hiring committee. The hiring committee originally denied my application and then a week later a different committee accepted it. The whole process is highly inefficient, stressful, and impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how long I was planning to stay before raising a family.   View Answers (2)
    Be willing to wait a long time, get phonecalls at your current job during business hours, because that's when the recruiter can call you.

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I had previously applied to Google online and was part of their candidate DB. A recruiter contacted me asking if I was interested in an available position in the NYC office. The next step was a phone interview with a person within the organization, not within the team I would be applying for. We discussed different methodologies, processes and had time for questions from me at the end of the call. HR then called back afterwards to schedule a second short phone call -- more or less a screen call. They switched my application role from Design to Research based on the first two calls and my background experience. I was then invited for an on-site.

The on-site consisted of a 45 minute presentation and 6 1:1 interviews as well as lunch with an employee. The presentation was used throughout all 6 interviews as reference for questions from the interviewers.

After the on-site was complete, I had to wait 1 week to hear back from my recruiter with the feedback from the interviewers ad hiring committee.

I was then told I had one more phone call with the person who would be my potential future manager on my team. The phone call seemed a bit out of place, as it was more of a screening call similar to the first and second phone calls I had.

I heard back within a few days with feedback from my recruiter regarding this latest phone call with the in office manager.

I was then told on a call I had completed all steps of the interview process and would need to complete some forms of paperwork. I was then given the official Google application that required salary information, a transcript and a minimum of 3 professional references.

I heard back within a week of this with feedback from the hiring committee and an official offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I am close friends with current employees at Google and I personally know the CEO. I figured with that I could get a job. I was given an interview, but once they discovered I didn't have a college degree from Yale/Harvard/MIT, etc. I was canned.