Google

2,775 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Localization Project Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was one of the best I have ever experienced. The interviewer was very knowledgeable and on time. I didn't get the offer but instead of emailing me they called me up to discuss my strengths and weaknesses during the interview.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. Everything was business as usual when it comes to the interviewing process.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The interviewing process is disorganized and painfully slow. I was contacted by a recruiter about 6 months after I submitted my resume. Then I was scheduled to do a phone screen with a peer who was also a technical program manager. It took one month to schedule that phone interview because the interviewer called in sick or took the day off, after it was scheduled two weeks in advance. Then it took about another two weeks to reschedule to speak with him.

The interview lasted 45 minutes and we talked a lot of general responsibilities and scenario based questions. Then it took about 5 to 6 weeks to hear back from the recruiter to see if another interview would be scheduled if there was an interest. During that time I followed up about every two weeks until finally they sent me an email to let me know they were pursuing other candidates

The craziness was in scheduling the interviews with people who did not have it as their priority and took their own sweet time. Imagine if it took me so long, i.e., one month to have a phone interview that they were taking forever to schedule other phone interviews with other candidates and dragging the process out.

Interview Question – I was asked if Google bought another company and those employees didn't want to move to the Mountain View campus how would I merge these two locations together via networks and systems. Also, questions about programming vulnerabilities such as cross site scripting and information security risk management.

Did I think I knew everything? No. Did the interviewer know everything? No. This goes to show you that interviewers are biased and think in their own little world, they ask a broad range of questions that they've already researched in advance and knew the answers to, but if I asked the interviewer my own set of questions he wouldn't be able to answer all of them either. We're even.
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to Google through an employee referral, and heard back from a recruiter within a week of them receiving my resume. The process was pretty quick and easy -- only a few required forms prior to my phone screening. The phone interview was a simple data structure question requiring ~25 lines of Java code. After the interview, I was then offered to fly to Mountain View for an on-site interview. This consisted of four 45-minute interviews, plus an hour for lunch. All of them were algorithm/data structure questions (trees, graphs, arrays), so I can't comment on the nature of the design style questions. In two of these interviews, I successfully answered the first question and was asked a second. In one interview I answered the first question and we discussed my resume for the remaining time. The final interview was a bit more tricky, requiring careful handling of edge cases, so I got a bit mixed up and wasn't able to fully complete the problem (I did have a full whiteboard of code by the end of it). I felt good about the interview, but was notified 2.5 weeks later that the hiring committee decided not to continue the process. My recruiter suggested I get more experience, but cited no more reasons beyond that.

Interview Question – Data structures and algorithms are a must. The most complicated algorithm one would use in these sorts of interviews might be Dijkstra's (all of my questions were simpler though). Get used to coding on a whiteboard and be sure to understand the problem fully before jumping into the code. Bring thin-chisel markers, especially if you anticipate writing a couple of long lines of code.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – first round of telephone interview

Interview Question – question were not difficult, but not expected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I submitted my CV online and and was contacted by a recruiter. After communicating with the recruiter a technical phone interview was scheduled with a coding session via a shared Google doc. Following the phone interview a follow second technical phone interview was scheduled. Google decided not to proceed after the second interview.

Interview Question – The coding questions weren't particularly difficult, however they were very open ended. This means discussing your thoughts out loud as you progress through the question is the most important factor.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview followed by 5 on site interviews.

Interview Question – The phone interview was relatively easy , standard text book questions.
2 out of 5 on site interviews were questions that dealt with design and problem solving.
3 of them were about dynamic programming , memory management and data structures .
Very good and insightful experience, highly recommend applying to google to get a better sense of where you are as a junior engineer and also see the campus.
  Answer Question

Localization Project Manager Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I have applied several times directly on their website for full-time jobs with benefits, and instead been called by several agencies for contracts for jobs with the same job descriptions as the ones I had applied for directly. Finally, I decided to interview through one of the agencies, and was told that the contract can only be for 12 months max. Heard the same from another friend who also interviewed there (She turned down the offer they gave her). Basically, after the first 12 months, you will need to go on unemployment and " take a break of 3 months" before you are allowed to go back for another 12 months. I was disappointed to hear about the constant recycling of contractors, although I hear other big names in Silicon Valley are doing the same thing. I understand the need of a hiring strategy of "Travel Light", but when it becomes a regular practice when they actually need more headcount on a full time basis, seems to me that it is crossing the ethics line because these people go on unemployment during the rest period, and tap onto government benefits. I had higher expectations of ethics from a company like Google.
The interview itself was quite different as compared to other companies. It was a situational and behavior interview, where I was asked what I would do in different situations that might occur during a project. Very thorough interviewer that covered most of the tricky scenarios that would happen in managing a project. If you are an experienced project manager, there is nothing to worry about in terms of the questions they might ask.

Interview Question – It was all questions of behavior to different scenarios, that builds on from the first question they ask you and the response you give.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I decided to focus my career search only for jobs with full time benefits/stock options/vacations etc.

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Initially it was phone interview which took about 45min. Interviewed by Manager. Questions very easy at the beginning but later it went very technical and tough.

Interview Question – Total size of the Google server   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Having worked as a contractor at Google I got to skip phone interviews, so this was 5 on-site interviews. All were 45mins long; I never completed more than 2 questions, once I didn't complete even 1. They were all algorithms barring the last which was system design, and nothing too crazy. I will say that I got no dynamic programming questions, or at least, I was not able to extract DP versions of what I came up with in the given time. Only two were of what I expected to be Google-level difficulty (the two I didn't finish), but it's possible that I just took too long on the easy ones to get to the harder ones, in those interviews. One corrective to what I've read in Gayle Laakmann's book and her quora answer, is that nobody seemed particularly interested in the details / format of code, they were far more interested in the gist, the logic. But, most took pictures of the whiteboard, so perhaps they nit-picked later. One other thing, a trainee accompanied one interview, and offered a suggestion. So, interview trainees do speak up, unlike what I understood. One nice thing is that, if you're struggling, interviewers will jump in with hints, which, even if you ultimately fail, keeps the silence from being awkward, and makes the interview more comfortable.

There were no 'personal', or behavioral questions (like 'what was your hardest bug?') - perhaps if I'd run to the end of the algorithms :). I've chosen 'no offer' below, but I don't actually know yet - I reckon my chances are < 30%.

Interview Question – No questions from me, I signed statement saying that I wouldn't. Though, I have benefitted from other peoples' breaking their promises.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was through a recruiting company. The role was a contract one. So landing the interview was simple process.

Interview Question – i was highly prepared for BGP and other high level concepts, but most questions were from basic networking stuff   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google