Google Interview Questions

4,360 Interview Reviews

3.4

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the position's hiring manager. Interview was very straight forward without trick questions. Many situational questions on how you would deal with certain situations encountered during a project. Also greatest strength, greatest weakness. How would you approach this type of project. All in all, a very fair interview but I have heard the next phase in the interview process which is on site.

Interview Questions

• What was the greatest challenge you ever faced on a project you were managing and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Got a phone interview and thought I aced it. 3 weeks went by and I heard nothing so I contacted my recruiter and got an email an hour later saying I wasn't accepted. I think the recruiter couldve cared less about whether I got it or not.

Interview Questions

• Automated questions selected from words on your resume   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I applied online. The same day a recruiter reached out asking to answer a few technical questions via email. A day after I had replied, I was told I was moving forward to a phone screening. This was a mix of SQL coding and probability questions. I don't think I did great, but good enough to be moved forward to a second phone screening. This one was much more heavily geared towards machine learning. Essentially I was presented with a scenario (a typical "a software engineer hands you over a dataset") and we spent most of the interview brainstorming about how to go about analyzing and eventually building a ML model out of the data. A couple of days later I was told I was invited to Google Headquarters. They had a specialist help me with travel arrangements. All very simple and smooth, even when I asked to make changes to my original plan. One thing you have got to make sure you pay attention to is that commute is horrible and you need plenty time to get from the hotel to Google. Even 10 miles can take 40 minutes. The onsite interview was very intense. These are 45 minutes back to back interviews, 100% technical with no frills such as intros, what his job is, do you have any questions. They covered pretty much everything from basic probability, to machine learning, to coding (I chose Python), to sampling, A/B testing, time series, SQL,... Most folks were nice, I only got one person who gave me the impression he hated to be in that room spending time interviewing. This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, yet the breadth of the knowledge makes it very difficult to prepare well. Some of these questions seem to be geared more towards newly grads. I got a couple of questions I would have nailed after I left college 10 years ago, but have not touched in a business setting for years. So, long story short, have your basics covered. The only thing I can complain of is the lack of time to ask questions. I literally had two people asking if I had questions while they were packing their stuff and leaving the room... One thing I was super impressed with was my HR person. Super friendly and helpful throughout.

Interview Questions

• You observe a sample of measurements coming from a fixed length ruler. If the object is shorter than the ruler you observe the actual measurement. Otherwise you observe the length of the ruler. What would be a good estimator of the ruler length?   2 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very chaotic. HR rep didn't show up, his replacement sent out an interview using a 3 years old copy of my resume, and wasn't available either. The interviewers were confused, and so was I.

Interview Questions

• What data structure should be used for storing Internet searches results?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

Interview

The recruiter is amazing, he helped me knowing the process clearly and move on the feedback positively. I just got a phone interview, first I had to introduce myself and one of my project. Then I was asked to code a difficult (for me) and took a lot of time to think of the question, of course, no on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• find and output the given number's shortest square sum. like input: 12=2^2+2^2+2^2 (not 3^2+1^2+1^2+1^2) output: {2 2 2}   2 Answers

Technical Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about a month later, the recruiter contacted me to have a phone conversation. What the job description doesn't tell you is that it's more of a system administration job. During the HR phone screen she asked about my background and where I want to go with my career. After that, she basically asked four questions that a non-elite developer wouldn't know. Obviously I failed it but there's not much research online about these Technical Solutions Engineer interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you list all the open programs in Linux command line?   Answer Question
    • How to grant admin privileges on an executable file so any user can execute the file?   Answer Question
    • What are the packets sent in a TCP connection?   Answer Question

University Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this role. The interview started with a phone screen that included questions about my background and recruiting experience. There were some tough hypothetical questions, but if they like you, you get invited to an onsite with two other interviewers. The first onsite interviewer was sweet, relaxed, and asked you questions on your background that weren't relevant to recruiting. The second interviewer, however, asked many difficult hypothetical questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you take on a project you're unfamiliar with - and the rest of your team are senior with this project. Q: Tell me a time you faced challenge and how did you overcome it? Q: What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Interview

1. Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn 2. Email exchange then initial phone screen with recruiter. Only question asked was if I was willing to relocate. 3. Phone screen with Product Manager 4. On-site interview (didn't make it this far)

Interview Questions

• The only interesting takeaway was a question regarding mean vs. median. Wasn't expecting statistics, but it was an applicable question when thinking about how to create applications or use population statistics. Normal questions about explaining things to someone (how you think) and increasing user-ship by doing XYZ (product strategy).   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I was recruited from the university. First I had a talk with a very nice recruiter. She asked me about my interest, some behavioral questions, etc. Second was a phone interview with a PM person. Here I had a couple questions and brainteasers. After this interview I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about your 3 favorite unknown android applications. Why? Q: How much storage space do you need to store all the info from Google Maps   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through Google Careers, was given a link to an online test that I had to complete within six days. Two questions, 60 minutes total, basic algorithm questions. After that, I waited to hear back from them but it's likely that I didn't perform up to expectations, as I was never contacted with next steps.

Interview Questions

• Return array with all values in a binary search tree that are between two values x and y.   Answer Question