Google

Updated Dec 15, 2014
3,482 Interview Reviews

3.5

Software Engineer (Machine Learning/Data Scientist) Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I heard back from google within a couple of weeks after applying as I had someone internally recommend me. The hiring process starts with a call with the recruiter. They are very friendly and they go over the recruitment process briefly.

The first interview is a phone interview. It revolved around a design question. They will start with an easy problem and then keep adding complexity to it as you move on. This was more of a discussion. After about 15 minutes of the design question the interviewer wanted me to write some code for a completely different problem. They are fine with any language (Python, Java, C, C++ etc), I used python. The coding question was about regular expression something basic. I cannot reveal the exact question as I have signed NDA.

Within a a few days the recruiter got back to me and scheduled an onsite interview. Since I wanted to prepare well for the interview I pushed the onsite interview out a few weeks.

The onsite consisted of 5 interviews. Instead of listing out each interview I will give a general overview and some pointers that may help. I am a machine learning scientist and not a software engineer. So I brushed up on data structures (Arrays, Lists, Hash Table, Graphs and Binary Search Tree) and algorithms ((n)log(n) sorting, BFS/DFS, In Order/Pre-order/Post-Order Traversal etc). I also practiced coding question from top coder. A good place for basic comp sci stuff is the algorithms and data structure course on Coursera by Tim Roughgarden. One thing to keep in mind is that you must always know the time and space complexity of any code that you write. It will always be asked.

It is a good idea to go through your solution with the interviewer before you start writing code. The interviewers are friendly and they will point you in the right direction if you have any problems. Always keep the interview a 2 way conversation. Ask questions if you do not understand something. In my experience they do not care as much about the final answer as much they care about your thinking process. So think out loud, this really helped me. Practice writing code (proper syntax) on a piece of paper because during the interview you will be asked to code on a white board.

Last but not the least don't get demotivated if you do badly in one interview, try and ace the next ones. I completely messed up one interview in which I was not able to answer the question at all. The question was on recursion for a hypothetical tree data structure. I absolutely could not get the interviewers hints but I never gave up and kept on trying till the interviewer was tired moved

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate a good offer as I had multiple offers. Multiple offers really helped in negotiation.

Field Operations Specialist Interview

G-chat interview, interviewed online and then waited for feedback. Found out I had the job and accepted. It was a really quick process overall. I then flew out to Mountain View CA, for training.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google.

A former intern referred me, and I was contacted by a university recruiter in mid fall. The interview process was simple--two 45 minute technical interviews, both were extremely doable. The second was slightly harder than the first. Both involved some data structure/algo questions, but nothing too complicated, and definitely no knowledge of obscure algorithms or data structures was necessary for the optimal solution. The host matching process was fairly quick (heard within a week), and my recruiter was responsive and helpful throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Signed an NDA, but one of my interviews also relied pretty heavily on statistics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

The usual staff. 1 phone call from a recruiter, talked about details about me and about the role.
    1 technical interview via Skype. asked me some array algorithm questions
    Another technical interview via Skye, asked tree questions
    I am not from the states that's why I had two Skype calls

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the next day for a non-technical phone interview. We then scheduled a technical interview for the next week then I was contacted and was asked to code in a live google document about technical questions

Account Manager Interview

Had to spend hours preparing for interview and then never heard back from recruiter. I finally found out I was rejected when a friend looked my name up in HR

Interview Questions
    • How would you answer a difficult client?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Applied online and recruiter contacted me within the week to schedule phone interviews. I had the phone interviews ~3 weeks later. First one was a doozy - asked me this complicated tree problem and I didn't get the answer, even after 20 min of hints :(. Second one was ok - asked a standard string manipulation problem, but after failing the first interview, I was done.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

I was contacted by a recruiter a couple of days after I created a LinkedIn profile. After speaking to the recruiter, I did a phone interview. I've been told that some people have to do more than one phone interview but after the one phone interview, I was invited to the onsite interview which is pretty much as discussed by others on this site. I feel that most of my interviews went well but I could see where I went wrong in a few of them. I did not get an offer and the feedback was that while everyone liked me, they felt some of my answers were not creative enough. I assume that they must have liked me in some capacity because I have since been contacted regarding other more technical positions where creativity was not as much of a consideration.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were much as everyone noted. I think I failed in not taking "What new features would you add to..." questions far enough. I think the main thing to remember when answering the questions is to not answer for yourself but for the customer. So while you may say, "This bothers me, I would change...", a better answer would be to say "From reading the comments on the app, I see that X bothers a lot of people and I would do Y to fix it."   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Was very good and interesting. I had 5 interviews at Googleplex including 1 informal lunch interview. Each interviewer was testing me for specific area and continuously asked questions for 45 mins. Know your PMP stuff by heart. Prepare to answer leadership related questions as well. Lots of situational & behavioral questions were asked as well. I hardly got time to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the role and importance of a business analyst ?   View Answer
    • What is critical path and what happens if it changes?   View Answer
    • How would you streamline processes - give example   View Answer
    • How would your derive metrics ?   Answer Question
    • Have you learned anything new and taken leadership to run that project from end to end ?   Answer Question
    • Define your ideal work environment & manager   Answer Question
    • How would you resolve conflict and ambiguity in a project ?   Answer Question
    • How would you convince someone to get your work done if they happen to be a difficult personality ?   Answer Question
    • What are your strangers & weaknesses ?   Answer Question
    Still negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Two rounds of phone interview followed by onsite interview.

First phone interview was about arrays (move all elements of value v to end of array) while the second was on string manipulation (find longest substring with two distinct characters).

The onsite interview questions were more varied
    1) Matrix manipulation