Google

21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer
Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me via linkedin and started the process. He was responsive and helpful in figuring out the logistics. Did two phone interviews initially and then a full day of interviews at the google campus. Everyone I spoke to was cordial and patient as I was working through the solutions.

Interview Question – Most questions were related to general data structures and graph algorithms.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview Details – The process was very long. A few phone interviews followed by an all day on-site. Very comprehensive interviews.

Interview Question – Deep programming questions, large scale systems design details.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred in by an external recruiting firm. A week or so later, they informed me that Google wanted me to come in for an approximately 4-hour interview. The position was in Washington, within a lab-like group which may be inappropriate to specify here. It would have drawn on background experience in combined areas of system, network and security administration.

The interview consisted of three one-on-one interviews with potential team-mates, with lead-in and follow-up conversations with the hiring manager. As far as one can tell in that sort of time-frame, all of them seemed like they'd be great to work with (or for). The interview spanned lunch, and four of us ate in one of the on-site (free) cafeterias. The discernible corporate culture at that location included some fairly open floor-plans with various motifs and/or amenities seemingly aimed at stimulating creative minds.

Though they opted not to bring me on board, I'd certainly apply again if another position in that group opened up in the future and if I'd gained relevant experience in the meantime.

From notification of interview to notification of "non-selection", the entire process took exactly three weeks.

Interview Question – A great question that I simply went brain-dead on involved ball-parking the transfer rate on a specific category of network traffic traversing a relevant path.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Kirkland, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2013.

Interview Details – You will have a phone screen with a recruiter, then a phone interview with a current Product Manager at Google, and then onsite. The initial phone screen is easy- the phone interview with a current PM is much more challenging. Come prepared knowing about Google's products, possible improvements, and a go to market plan for your proposed product or feature.

Interview Question – How much would it cost to implement a product improvement for the entire US?   View Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – * contacted by a Google recruiter
 * scheduled a phone interview
 * scheduled a second phone interview
 * scheduled an onsite interview
 * the onsite interview consisted of 5 1-on-1 interviews conducted by other Google software engineers and involved solving problems on a whiteboard
 * there was also a lunch "interview"

Interview Question – I signed an NDA which prevents discussing the questions asked during the interview.   Answer Question

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very disorganized recruiting process, there was a carousel of recruiters. I guess some of them were sourcers, some were recruiters for specific teams?
The interviews were typical google problem solving coding questions. Some of the interviewers weren't particularly friendly and seemed like they didn't want to be there. Indeed, the offer decision is made by a different comittee directly, so I don't know how good a read they can get.

Interview Question – time series addition   Answer Question

Software Engineer
Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter who set up phone screen. The phone screen interviewer was pleasant. The recruiter followed up promptly to schedule a full day of on-site interviews. The on-site interviews were focused 100% on technical and coding problems. There was little discussion of my background. One of the interviewers was less pleasant to talk with (maybe was having a bad day) however overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Question – Given a set of 2D coordinates for the 4 corners of each building in a city skyline, find the outline of all the buildings. Buildings may or may not overlap.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Kirkland, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

Interview Details – No Hiring. Was interviewed at Kirkland for Test Engineer Position. Interview contains five technique interviews. Most were focusing on algorithms.

Interview Question – There is one questions related to finding a median number from millions of rows. I used histogram to solve the problem, but did not answer well.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Storage Engineer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in January 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was enjoyable: fun conversations with smart people. Unfortunately, there's a magic decision process in Google, and fantastic interviews can still merit an opaque "no" without logic, reason, or feedback (even when feedback is explicitly promised by recruiter as a condition of going forward). Every single discussion was upbeat, fun, exciting, completely positive. Rarely have I laughed so hard in interviews.

The fact that the refusal was surprising, opaque, and the promise of feedback was not delivered shows that the real power is held by those who never talk to the candidate, making decisions by proxy and eye-witness interviews. Very frustrating, and offers nothing to the candidate for improvement.

Google very much cashes in on its wellknown and desired working environment, but they only want students fresh from school.

Interview Question – What's your University GPA?   View Answers (2)

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interview is very highly technical. This position requires a knowledge of systems admininstration, kernel internals, and scripting. Recommend brushing up on "Understanding the Linux Kernel" which would help. High amount of breadth and depth in this position. Also keep it simple. This is a screening process so there are a number of things that can disqualify you. Being too inquisitive will hurt more than help. Finally I would say don't be afraid to use Google against them. Look things up during the interview. Have a Linux system at the ready. There are some questions with answers fairly easily found in man pages.

Interview Question – What's the default signal used in a kill command?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice in Kirkland, WA. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.