Google

Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.5

Software Engineer, University Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

I was contacted by a recruiter and talked about why I want to work at Google and got asked to explain the concept of Big-O notation. Then I got set up for the phone interview after confirming which Google office I wanted to work at.

Interview Questions
    • Given n coordinate points x, y find the line that intersects most of them.   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

The process started with an employee referral and an initial phone interview with the recruiter. Next stage was a phone interview with another associate account strategist, which to me occurred to be very chilled out competency related talk. The final stage comprised of rounds of interviews with a team leader, account strategist, and a manager respectively. Mostly competency based questions and simple hypothetical scenarios for situational judgement. I am waiting to hear back the outcome

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your co-worker was constantly rude to the client over the phone?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Applied at the end of July through a recruitment agency who have connections with Google. I received an email at the end of August inviting me to a group chat where we were told what to expect in the interview. I had my interviews in mid September - there were two 45 minute technical interviews, one of which was done via video conference. They said I'd hear back in around two weeks, and I heard I was unsuccessful 16 days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked "How would you find the longest substring of a string containing only one character?" this was then expanded to two characters, etc. The second question was "How would you reverse just the vowels in a string?" They then asked what I'd do if the string was too big to fit in memory.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I applied online. No reply for 3 weeks. Things started moving after I contacted a sourcer asking what’s the status. It took 2 weeks to arrange the phone interview. Some materials were sent, asking me to prepare and study for the interview. Who has time for that nowadays?

I was interviewed by another product manager. The interview was rushed. It felt like the interviewer was following a script. After a brief introduction, I was bombarded by several abstract open-ended questions. For example:

* What advice would you give to the CEO of Google?
    * Pick something that annoys you about a product and describe how would you eliminate that?
    * How do you calculate how many calories are in a grocery store?

Having years of experience in product management for another globally known consumer company and having interviewed product managers myself, I tried to demonstrate critical thinking and my approach to problem solving, but apparently it was not enough. Perhaps I hesitated a little bit or didn’t describe my approach well enough. I was not sure what the interviewer was looking for, so it was hard to elaborate. It felt like he got stuck with his questions, he didn’t probe enough.

I guess I’m not the fastest thinker when being asked random abstract questions, but then again, this is not a critical factor in succeeding in almost any role. I don’t think the interviewer asked the right questions to evaluate my skills and knowledge.

Finally, he didn’t leave almost any time for questions to him. I usually allocate at least 1/4 of time for questions when I conduct interviews.

Considering the time and effort to go through the interview process and the randomness of getting through the interview, it’s no wonder they miss out on many talented people, who join startups instead.

PS. They declined my suggestion to use Google Hangout for the interview and opted for a phone call instead. I mean, we are in the 21st century already, why not have a video call using their own product?

STEP Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

A recruiter got in touch with me to offer me the chance to interview early for Google's STEP program. After an initial CV screening, they got in touch to arrange an interview date. I had two 45 minute interviews, both over video conference with an engineer from one of their Europe offices. The interviewers each started off with a couple of CV questions. My chosen language was Java and the technical questions were pretty standard, two medium-sized questions per interview (Sadly I was rather inexperienced when it came to interviews...)

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Two phone calls, one from the hiring manager and the second one from the manager of the team that was hiring you. The hiring manager said that I was a very good fit for the sole so they wanted to move forward with an interview.

The second interview, by the manager of the team they were hiring for, was good, but not that great. The interviewer was not very friendly, but the interview was ok overall.

At the end they didn't move forward, they wanted someone who was busy 100% of their time coding. Not me for sure, despite that was my background.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
    - Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
    - If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
    - Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
    - Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
    - Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.

Product Marketing Manager EMEA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

Great process and amazing HR but I don't think that everyone is a "Googler" at Google and that the staff is searching for "Googler". Looks like it's just a HR terminology or something that just a couple of people believe at Google.

I have some doubt about the integrity of staff based in Israel selecting people that will work in London (especially when it comes people with non mainstream ethnicity and background to be PC).

I know I failed because of my lack of SEM tactics but strangely enough the only feedback from HR is that I do not enough strategic think. The interview with the Head Optimization were only about search and extremely tactical ( how to lower your bid, how you use adwords...)

My lesson: I will start spending less media with Google !

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you selected your audience for this campaign your ran 10 year ago?   Answer Question

Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Phone Interview, followed by 4 1-hr long interviews (all in a row) two of which were with international interviewers over video-conferencing.
    Several in-depth coding questions, some technical-ability qu's, some behavioural/experiential and some congnitive/puzzler qu's.

Interview Questions
    • How to transfer several gigabytes of data to Mars, how to do it faster, how to keep the data synchronised.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.
    They offered a lower salary than the current position, but included a sign-on bonus.