Google

Getting the Interview

65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

The process had two stages, interviews, followed by project assignment. The process was comfortable. All questions are framed to your personality and your CV, focus was on programming languages and algorithms. That was the trend for both. I was unsuccessful at the interview stage, I waited for a month to hear back from them after I had finished my both technical interviews. In my case the interviewers never asked any personal questions and we moved straight to coding so I found it difficult to blend in.

Interview Question – How would you gather input from users (name, dob, address) and reprocate the same as output?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

London, England (UK)

Interview Details – Applied online through their job portal and got contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later and was scheduled two technical phone interview. The first round went well but the 2nd one with a different interview was much more difficult. He asked me something about databases and I said I haven't learned that yet(i think it's reasonable considering I am only a freshmen at college) then he changed to another question about bit manipulation, which is also unfamiliar to me.

Interview Question – Count the number of bits set in an integer. What is your favorite language and what you don't like about that language.   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I uploaded my CV in the jobs section and I was contacted by a recruiter few days later. He scheduled a phone called after a week about general info on my CV and what I studied at university, lasted 15min. Then he scheduled the technical phone call two weeks later.

After two days the recruiter called me to say that I passed the interview and I flew to London a month later.
There I had the usual 4 interviews.
The questions were quite tough and it is difficult to say if my answer were good cause the interviewers always nod and smile which is good cause it relaxes but it doesn't give a feedback.

The recruiter called me few days later and told me that my results in programming weren't good enough.

Overall it was an amazing experience, everyone was very kind and gentle, google payed the flight and the hotel (4stars in the center of london).

Interview Question – In the phone call the engineer asked me two programming questions:

Implement a function that calculates in how many ways it is possible to climb a stair given that you can raise one step or two step at a time. (solution Fibonacci like)
Then asked me general info about fibonacci sequence and few questions in the field of algebra (modulo operations).

Second problem was to generate a random sequence of number for Lotto extraction.

Onsite i had three interviews:
3 about programming and 1 about system design (general question about detecting bot in social network, youtube and google+).
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail and subsequently via telephone.
Scheduled a telephone interview with an engineer and received ample information about preparation. Recruiter was friendly and open to questions.

First interview was via telephone and Google doc. Had to solve a relatively easy sorting problem which I implemented in Java. The interviewer was very friendly.

Second interview was the same but a different interviewer, who seemed more reserved, and a different problem which I couldn't solve as easily.

Interview Question – Dynamically build a tree from a stream of father-child tuples.   Answer Question

Release Engineer Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, followed by 4 1-hr long interviews (all in a row) two of which were with international interviewers over video-conferencing.
Several in-depth coding questions, some technical-ability qu's, some behavioural/experiential and some congnitive/puzzler qu's.

Interview Question – How to transfer several gigabytes of data to Mars, how to do it faster, how to keep the data synchronised.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.
They offered a lower salary than the current position, but included a sign-on bonus.

Partner Development Manager Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – Screening interview

Interview Question – I was surprised that in this case the recruiter were very focused on the specific industry and role experiences and knowledge, which I could have researched quite easily if I had had better knowledge about the role   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – *I am not english native speaker.

I applied online and get first non-technical call in a month. Then was 3 technical calls. I think I failed 2th. After each call I got feedback in a week.
After third call, I was invited to onside interview in London.
It took 2 months after last call to onside interview.
**I am not from GB. I had to get a visa to come to onside interview.

There was 5 interview + dinner. Dinner was with the man that was not only from my own city and speak my native language, but he also worked in the same company as me before relocate. It was really nice surprise.

Interview Question – All questions I already saw in Internet: leetcode, careercup. 4 was about algorithms, 1 for design. No more details - NDA.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for an open position in London. Contacted by mail to fix a first interview by phone. The interview terminated in 10 minutes because of not fluent English.

Interview Question – Average Complexity of Quicksort Algorithm   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – They contacted me from school and we arranged a call, First non-technical interview, a few technical questions. Then they proceeded to the actual technical interview 2 months later.

Interview Question – Can't give you the technical review questions. First non-technical phone-call, i'm asked about sorting algorithms and their complexity and OS-memory related stuff.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a 12 month internship in the UK around October and got a reply in November saying that they would like to schedule 2 phone interviews (I got to select some dates that I were free). The recruiter was extremely friendly and even linked me to a lot of webpages with information about what kind of questions I can expect in the interview. A lot of which included CS theory such as OOP and data structures. I was scheduled 2 45-minute interviews. Unlike what I expected, I had to complete 2 programming tasks (one in each interview) with no questions about computer science theory. Under the stress of being in an interview, and due to the expectation of CS theory questions, my mind blanked despite having 2 tasks which I could complete with ease - of course I regret being such an idiot - So long as you focus logically on what you do the interview should be a fairly easy process, although the randomness of the code can throw you off guard. The first interviewer was a bit unenthusiastic and intimidating which also threw me off a bit but the second interviewer I had was really nice and helpful in describing what we had to do properly. Due to my idiocy I did not progress to the next stage.

Interview Question – A task in which I was required to print all numbers between 1 and a million - with no repeating digits - Easy enough! Just can throw you off guard a bit   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice in London, England. All 65 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.