Google Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Oct 5, 2014

3.6

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

First round, you will have a phone interview. They will ask some basic programming question and one technical questions. Asking writing code on Google Doc.
    Second round, another phone Interview, ask another round technical questions.

Stop it this point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied online and received an email within a few days by a Google recruiter. A technical screening interview was organized for the following week. A Google engineer called me and started by introducing himself and Google, then went quickly into the programming question. I managed to solve the problem using recursion within about 40 minutes with only a few hints.
    After 1 week, I received an email for onsite interviews which was organized for the second week after.
    The first onsite interview went well. I actually recognized the interviewer from my previous university. The programming task involved class declarations and pointers. I believe I did ok with this question but ran out of time to really give a solid solution. In my second interview, the interviewer gave me a few hints since I was not making progress and I eventually solved it. Then it was lunch with another engineer. My third interview was the worst. He asked me the same question as the 1st interviewer, and I said I had already been asked that question. He then asked a different question that I did not fully understand which direction he wanted to go and in the end it was an SQL command question. I made a mistake in the third question he asked: I started coding before I had fully considered the entire question.
    The 4th interview was a presentation of my work. This went smoothly and the interview was very cordial. The 5th interview went well although I ran out of time. 2 seemingly simple coding questions. Even though it was past time, this interviewer kept talking about the groups within Google so I thought I did well with this guy.
    Overall I managed to solve all the questions but with hints. I believe I did well with 3 interviews, 1 ok, and 1 bad.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a system to do such and such? I thought the interviewer wanted me to talk about functions and data storage but in the end he seemed he wanted specific SQL statements which I was not too familiar with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2014.

I was first contacted by a recruiter. He emailed me out of the blue, and said he really liked my github profile.

Honestly, at first, I didn't believe it was real. We emailed back and forth a few times, but I wasn't really looking to moving to the Bay Area, so I never actually sent in my CV.

About a month goes by, and he emails me back. He just wanted to follow up. Said that he never received the resume, and hoped I would get back in touch. So I told him about my situation, and he mentioned that they had an LA office. This was news to me, and much closer to home. So I sent in my resume, and he connected me to a recruiter who was closer to me.

All in all, I talked with about 4 different people in recruiting. All of them were incredibly nice and helpful. My first "interview" was with the second recruiter. It was really just getting to know me, what my interests were, and trying to get a feel for my fit with the company.

After that interview, we scheduled a technical phone interview. Gave me to weeks to study up. Lots of review material was sent my way, which was awesome. Ended up reading my algorithms text book again, it was quite a nice read, but I don't believe I would have done poorly on the phone interview, even had I not read it. The tips/references they sent to me were extremely helpful. They sent me Titles/Authors of some amazing books, I recommend reading them even if you aren't interviewing with Google.

After passing the phone interview, we had an on-site scheduled about a week later. This was much harder than the phone interview. I get the idea that the phone was just to weed out the weaker candidates. The on-site consisted of 5 one-on-one interviews, plus one lunch "interview" where I was able to ask all of my questions. All of them were about 45 minutes each.

Every interviewer I talked to was very interesting, and we always had something in common to talk about. The questions were all very interesting problems. There was one point in one of the questions where one of the interviewers put a star next to a line I wrote to remind him to go back and follow up on a comment I made that sounded interesting. I enjoyed the interviews, because it felt like I was back in college, talking to my peers about fascinating problems.

There were one or two interviews that I feel I didn't do so hot on. I only managed to get through one of the questions on two of the interviews. However, I figured they really just wanted to see how I approached the problems, so I made sure to explain myself very thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • I can't go into details about the problems. But I wish I had studied my graph algorithms a little more closely.

Make sure you know your big-O algorithm classifications. Almost every interviewer asked me something to do with that.
        View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

I got a mail from Google after a friend of mine referred my CV. after scheduling a phone interview I got a call from a HR recruiter. the interview was very personal, with no professional questions. I was asked to describe my work experience in more detail. what kind of projects was I involve with and what kind of technologies do I know. I was asked why do I want to work for Google, and am I open to new technologies.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to give 3 top products of the company that I love. why do I love them and how I would improve them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Applied online. New grad. Had a phone interview about a week later for LA Google. The interviewer is very nice. It is a 45 minutes phone call. First of all, the interviewer introduced himself and his team a little bit and so did I. Then some basic technique questions such as TCP vs UDP, stack vs queue. At last, a programming question. Nice experience. I think I failed because of bad English and not very well prepared.

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

Started with a phone interview with recruiter- standard interview questions (interest in position, name a time when..., stressful situation examples, etc.). Recruiter mentioned on the phone that she would be reaching out with an email to set up a time to meet with hiring manager.

Spoke with hiring manager for 45 minutes (longer than the scheduled 30 minutes). Interview was very conversational, not necessarily interview questions. You definitely need to be knowledgeable about what you do and how it applies to the position you are interviewing for.

Received a follow up note from the recruiter with positive feedback, but ended up not getting job due to internal candidate. Entire process lasted ~3 months.

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

Was contacted by one recruiter to get information from me which they then sent to another recruiter in my area. Did a little back and forth with that recruiter, then scheduled the phone screen interview. Recruiter was helpful and answered any questions I had. They provided many links of topics I should know for the phone screen. Phone screen was on time, however it was quite obvious that they matched a phone screen interviewer who did not use the language I used (or did a hell of a job pretending they had no idea what pointers were), which was disappointing. If you make it past this round, you will have an on site interview. However, I was not lucky enough to have this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Non-disclosure agreement. That being said, for an unexpected question, I was asked about a specific part of the language I was interviewing with that had no connection with any part of a normal CS interview I have ever had.   Answer Question

Courier Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in December 2013.

Somewhat informal panel interview, and a brief meet and greet with the division director. They just want to see if you're likable and can jive with the culture. The interview took about an hour, and they offered me anything that I wanted out of their kitchen when it was done. You definitely can tell that Google treats their people very well!

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult, but they did throw some multiple choice questions which I had to prioritize answers by importance and logic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Process was fairly straightforward, interview was alright, the interviews were kinda rude and weren't paying attention at all. They ask all coding questions, don't care about who you are your background where you come from etc

Interview Questions
    • Regarding binary trees, stacks and queues all in one question   Answer Question

Dont wanna work there

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

A friend who works at Google submitted my resume internally and I got an email a couple of days later setting up a phone interview. That interview took place about a week later, lasted 45 minutes, and then a few days later I got a call from the internal recruiter notifying me that they were not going to "go forward with my candidacy at this time."

Interview Questions
    • While reviewing one of the websites in my portfolio, she asked a question about a detail in the design and wanted to know why I made that "choice." She wanted to know why I put the two-letter state abbreviation in front of the state name in a dropdown menu, rather than the other way around, on a specialized contact form that perhaps 50 people in the country would have any reason to use, if they visited at all.   View Answer