Google Interview Questions & Reviews in Montreal, QC

2.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

I referred by an employee and got into communication with a recruiter. Then she scheduled a phone interview. After one phone interview I had on site interview.There were four 1-1 interviews and a lunch with an employee.

Interview Questions
    • Guessing game - I pick a number between 1 and 100 and you are trying to guess it. Every time you query a number I tell you if it is higher or lower.

Part 1- Write the code of it, if cost of querying a number is equal.
      Part 2- How about if cost of querying number x is x? How would you change the algorithm?
        View Answers (4)

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Applied online, received an email after 3 months, did a online interview after a week

Interview Questions
    • What is the optimized version of the knn algorithm?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

There were 2 rounds of interview. First, there was a 2 hour technical interview, 1 hr each with two engineers. In the second round, I was to meet with the Head of the Montreal office. It was supposed to be a non-technical interview, but it turned out to be highly technical. In all three interviews, I was asked to solve interesting programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • Enumerating all possible combination of dictionary words to that can be formed in a 4x4 grid of characters such that subsequent characters in the word is adjacent in the grid.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

This position was advertised to university students; applications were handled through the school. The interview itself took place on campus, and consisted of only one interviewer.

I was asked a few basic questions about Java (difference between abstract classes and interfaces, whether multiple inheritance is possible, why might the designers of Java not have allowed multiple inheritance). I got the sense that the interviewer felt good about my Java skills early on, and skipped over to the next part of the interview.

Next, I was asked to write a Java program that reverses a 2D bitmap (i.e. 2D integer array) that is represented as a 1D array. I felt that I got off to a good start, but eventually started to verify by trial and error that I was indexing the 1D array correctly in my algorithm. The interviewer commented (respectfully) that perhaps I should try to think it through logically, rather than trying to verify my formula through trial and error. He helped me move along, and wrote down my code into his notebook when I was done (I assume, to look at it more closely later on).

I was asked one final question: if you have a network of computers, and a massive file (e.g. tens of gigabytes) on one of the machines, how would you efficiently copy the file to all of the machines on the network. I asked him what the bottleneck is and he said that it is the network cards on the machines. I suggested a bittorrent-style architecture in which one machine starts to copy the part of the file that it has already received, before having the entire file. He asked me what the time complexity was of this solution and I told him that it would be linear with regards to the size of the file.

He then asked me if I had any questions and was good about providing me with detailed answers. Other than tripping over the 2D bitmap question a bit, I felt that the interview went well. He told me that I would likely hear back from them within two weeks, but I never did. I assumed that this was due to my school acting as the intermediary, but upon contacting the school weeks later, they said that they were never contacted.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an interface an an abstract class in Java?   View Answer
    • Write a Java program that takes a 2D bitmap (represented as a 1D array of integers), and reverses it about its vertical axis.   View Answers (4)
    • If you have a network of computers and one of the computers has a massive file (e.g. tens of gigabytes), how would you copy the file to all of the other nodes in the network?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

1) Very easy interview questions compared to what other large American companies I worked for in the past asked.
    2) The Montreal interviewer was very arrogant and kept making basic big O analysis errors. I just went along with his "reasoning".
    3) I would not work there if this represent the quality and attitude of the staff.
    4) A friend of mine worked in the Waterloo office after completing his PhD in computer science. He did not find the job stimulating and left the company a year later.
    5) I was told the Google Montreal office only hires referrals made by Google Montreal employees. I was referred by a London employee. Apparently that does not qualify.
    6) I'm not convinced this office will grow beyond 30 employees (or 30 people anyone would want to work with).

Interview Questions
    • 1) Code and analyse the function findMaximums().
      2) Use a sorted data structure (a binary tree).
      3) std::vector<int> findMaximums(int* Data, int N, int K) where
      4) Data is an array of int's.
      5) N is the size of the array Data.
      6) K is the number of element from Data you want to compare and maximize.
      7) The vector you return is the list of these "local maximums".
        View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

The hiring process was disappointing. The recruiter took 3 weeks to get back to me, after pinging her every Friday. The HR's planning was horrible I would definitely not do it again with the same person.

The interview itself was fun and pretty easy since the algorithms within the interview is what I have done in Open Source the previous week on a project. The interview was aimed to be for 45 minutes, but we were having fun and it went till 90minutes.

The interviewer knew who I was so it was easy to talk to, we had to solve a problem and we did at the end. If you get referred from Googlers, make sure you talk to these Googlers to be ready when they are requested to send a referral. If they are in vacation or no one responds to the hiring committe, they put that as negative feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Design me a File System in high level design.   View Answer
    • Write down the algorithm of a Inorder Tree Traversal.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

There were two interviews. The first interviewer asked about a path finding problem. The second was on linked list.

Interview Questions

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!