Google Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.5

BOLD– SMB Global Customer Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Two 30-minute google hangouts.

I reseived an offer to intern at Goldman Sachs for the summer and had yet to receive an interview offer from Google. I called Google and asked them to schedule an interview within the next 2 days of the phone call since my GS offer was expiring within the week. I had the interview the next day and received an offer in time to still work at Goldman had I gotten rejected by Google.

Know your resume and your personal story front and back. Know Google's philosophy– I recommend reading "How Google Works" before the interview. I asked them a lot of questions and turned the interview into a conversation.

The interviewers were kind and extremely helpful, considering my circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me your story"
      "What's your understanding of AdWords?
      "Why are you interested in Google?"

And other behavioral questions
      Nothing "Googley"

Answer Question

Demand Management Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview was for a temp position through Adecco. It was an hour long with three different people, one after the other. Since it was a temp position, the interview process was much shorter (one phone screen, one in-person interview. I submitted my resume, had the phone screen the next day, and had the in-person interview the day immediately following. The job offer came the following week with a start date for the week after.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Google product + Sell it to me. Mock sales call. What was your greatest professional challenge? How do you deal with feedback? Was there a time you disagreed with a co-worker/manager? How do you work under pressure? What do you think will be the greatest challenges about this job? How will you deal with them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. They told me they researched my profile on GitHub an LinkedIn and were interested in discussing job opportunities. A lot of my peers were also contacted. The job would have been in their Mountain View HQ. The interview was fair, however the quality of the phone connection was rather poor and I had to ask the interviewer to repeat himself many times and I think it did get on his nerves, but only for a few second after which he calmed down again. My performance was in need of improvement and their decision not to pursue further was understandable.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

2 Phone interviews
    4 Onsite interviews

Beginning the process you will receive an email from the recruiter, and you will continue talking with them withing the entire process. They also give you some hints for preparing for the interview.

All the inverviews were focused on algorythms, each one really different and sometimes ticky and funny. You need to be open-minded to catch the trick and get in depht with the problem.

Really awesome experience.

Interview Questions
    • NDA protects to get in details but all questions have its own difficulty. Without algorythm's knowledge, anyone would become stuck.   View Answer

Software Engineer At Youtube Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

got an internal recommendation and skipped phone screening. had 5 rounds back to back of straight up algorithm and coding. got an offer confirmation within a week but from application to offer acceptance it was 1 month process. it was quite positive experience, and I really enjoyed the conversation at lunch. interviews were totally no-non-sense but totally friendly, and we didn't talk at all about my past experiences/resume/etc during the interviews - hi I am <blah>, solve <blah>.
    It was a positive experience overall but during one interview I felt like the interviewer was trying to solve the problem in his head as I was solving it on the board and his hints sort of misguided me.
    In either case I liked the process, got an offer and accepted it, despite a few blunders and missed edge cases.

Interview Questions
    • computer science coding, data structures and algorithms, systems design, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

The process took more than 2 months. First is a phone interview with coding on a shared online google doc, two questions, 45 minutes, one is string, the other is number manipulation. After two weeks, I got the onsite with 4 rounds of interview in which three are about algorithms and one is about system design. The questions are not difficult except the system design. I solved all the questions with positive feedback but still got rejected by the Hiring committee (HC) due to the reason of lack of enough industry experience.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Video/audio sync point search.
      2. String decoding/encoding question.
      3. Sorted array question.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

A phone interview followed by a full-day onsite technical interview. During the onsite, I interviewed with two engineers from the general Google employee pool and three from the group I would be working with. The questions focused on algorithm development and whiteboard coding exercises, object-oriented design methodology and practice, and one interview with specific questions on dynamic systems which was relevant to the position for which I was interviewing. I also had a one-on-one lunch that was not technical but I suspect was a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Define a function that takes in the state of a Sudoku game and returns one of three states: error (if the user has input an erroneous entry), error-free but incomplete, or solved.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I applied online, and a recruiter got back to me very promptly. There were two rounds of phone interviews and one hectic day of on-site interviews (I interviewed on site with three other companies, but this was by far the most gruelling experience) at their headquarters in Mountain View. There were five interviews (excluding the lunch) in the on-site process: four algorithmic/coding interviews, and one interview about my research interests. After interviewer feedback, my packet went to the hiring committee and was finally approved by the executive management committee. All told, the process took just under three months.

While Google has a very simple, smooth and responsive application process that belies their current size, the interview process itself shows just how big the company has become. While the recruiter was very prompt in reaching out to me in the beginning, they were pretty slack in responding to my further follow-ups. In fact, I'm certain that I got done in less than three months only because I had a couple of counter-offers, and otherwise I could have gone through this process for a few more months. On top of this, there was absolutely no one from recruiting or HR to show me around the campus or to walk me to the exit after the end of the day during my on-site visit. As a result, the experience felt slightly impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA, so cannot disclose the exact questions. Prepare your algorithms and data structures questions well, and actually implement them. Websites like careercup and leetcode are valuable resources to prepare. Focus on binary trees, hash tables and dynamic programming questions. Lastly, don't be afraid to go with your gut, sometimes you may end up implementing a solution that might be better than what your interviewer had in mind!   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Submit resume, phone screen, 2 phone interviews, 2 in-person interviews.
    Everything was pretty easy. They seemed to hire for personality so I found that being myself was the best way to go through the process.
    The questions were fair, the recruiters were very responsive. All in all, I thought the process was a great reflection on Google as a company.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Applied online; one phone interview; invited to meet the hiring manager for an onsite interview. Met briefly with an HR assistant on campus who sat with me while we waited for the manager to arrive. The manager did not seem too interested in the process or the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Google? Interview lasted 15 minutes and manager ended the meeting to get back to work.   View Answer