Google

Average Difficulty
713 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had my interview in late 2012. The first round was a 45 minutes phone interview. Then I was brought onsite to meet 5 interviewers. The questions consist of whiteboard coding, algorithms and design questions. The interviewers are all nice and professional. Some people care about bug-free coding. Got my offer about one week later.

Interview Question – some algorithm questions can be very hard, due to NDA I won't be able to share.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had offers from other companies (fb). Google beat their offers.

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details – Going for first technical this Monday! Applied online a long time ago, more then a few months ago but less then a year? maybe. So the first phone call was a basic screening, see if your a candidate for the process, you set a date and your left to study for that, which I am currently doing. Will keep this upto date.

Interview Question – Study, Study, Study. I'm reading Gayle Laakmann McDowell's Cracking the Coding Interview 5th edition to prep.   Answer Question

Google People OPS Interview

Google People OPS
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – i was given 2 interviews over the phone. first I was given a phone screening - the woman was fine, and told me I would be interviewing for people ops (even though I had applied for finance). after i was called 30 minutes late by her, she informed me i would have 2 more phone interviews. the first one consisted of an asian woman who couldn't speak english well. extremely unfriendly, just asking questions about times i've messed up. she got off the phone quick because she said i had another interview right after her. i got an email 30 mins later saying she had to cancel because she was busy and would try for tomorrow. second interviewer was fine. all quewstions about times ive messed up and how ive fixed it. google not only made me leave work for these long interviews, they had little care about times.

don't waste your time interviewing for the fall internship. they take 14/1000 applicants, and don't care about u unless your a 4.0 from an ivy.

Interview Question – what is a leader. time you've messed up. what did you do to fix it   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Finance Manager Interview

Finance Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – Includes both Telephone and in-person face-to-face interviews - about 5 - 7 interviews total. The face to-face interviews are at Google Mountain View location during which you interview with 4 to 5 Googlers. Difficult to satisfy all the interviewers given the range or scope of the questions. It is definitely a good idea for interview questions to be rigorous, however, it should be high level enough the determine the candidate's knowledge in a specific area or field without delving too much into details since everyone's experience are not necessarily the same

Interview Question – Well, sometime some of the interviewers can ask questions that does not demonstrate that they even understand what they should be looking for in a candidate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NA

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Internal referred followed by two round of phone interviews. Both interviews focuses on technical questions. The first interview has lots of questions on the fundamental statistics models, such as regression models, experimental design. The questions are like typical exam problems, but requires quick instant responses. The second interview also fucused on statistical questions, but were asked in a practical context. The interviewer described several projects with me, and for each project he asked questions about how you would like to plan the project, what models would you use, what were the alternative choice you have, reasons you picked that model, etc.

Interview Question – If you will propose a project in the quantitative marketing team, what will you propose and how will you plan the project?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Google offers a generous stipend for interns and I don't think there is any need to negotiate.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Extremely competent, friendly and respectful human resources. We get personalized emails, they reply to their emails and calls. The vast majority of employees I met were extremely friendly.

Interview Question – All questions are challenging. Best to prepare well by reviewing the material they send us before the interview. Ideally review the Algorithms courses given at Coursera..   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

New Grad Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. I had no idea when I applied for the position as the last time i sent out resumes was at least 6 months prior. The recruiter set me up for a phone interview which lasts about 45mins. Ideally they ask two questions one easy and one hard and you are asked to code in Google Doc.

After I was done with the phone interview I got a call the immediate next day saying I got selected for On-Site interview at Mountain View. Was pretty excited and set three weeks aside. On-Site there were 5 rounds one of which supposedly does not count.
1. The first one was for the SWE position.One interviewer and one shadow. System design question. Bombed this one.
2. The second one was for SWE and SWET position. A Matrix navigation kind of problem. Did well towards the end, maybe I took too much time.
3. The third one was for SWET, binary AVL Tree based question. I was asked to write code solving a specific problem based on AVL trees, Once I was done with that I was asked to solve for the reverse case of the problem. solved both just in time.
4. The third one had an easy question to start things off and then a tough question. the easy question is just to warm up, the tough one was the proper one. It's essentially reading a tree off of a file. I offered a a couple of solutions before the end of the interview. Towards the end I somehow stumbled towards an optimal one.

Interview Question – I was caught a little off-guard by the System Design question. I actually like system design a lot and worked on some complex distributed system design before. I guess the major confusion I faced with the question was that I did not understand what the requirements were.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – My interview with Google spanned a couple months. The first was for a Program Manager I didn't actually apply for (but was similar to one that I applied for). After an initial phone screen with the Recruiter, I was set up for a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager and then they flew me out to Mountain View for a series of interviews with various people from the team, and a person from outside of the team. I ended up hearing back from them a couple weeks later that while the team had a lot of positive things to say about me, they didn't think it would be a good fit for the role. The Recruiter actually passed me onto another Recruiter, because they thought I would be a good fit for another role within the larger organization. It's great that they take the time to really think about where you would fit into the organization if they think you bring valuable skills and experiences to the table.

My second set of interviews went rather fast. I went through the same process of having a phone screen with the Recruiter, having a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager, and then being flown out to Mountain View again. This time though, the Recruiter didn't get back to me with feedback until I emailed her twice. This kind of shows that the Google interview process is really hit or miss; sometimes you would end up with a great recruiter and other times, you'll get one that's pretty useless.

Interview Question – There wasn't any question that was really difficult or unexpected, but one of the senior leaders who interviewed me responded very argumentatively to my answers. I wasn't sure whether to actually launch into a full debate outlining the logic and reasoning behind my answers, or to just acknowledge her point of view and let it slide.   Answer Question

Enterprise Demand Management Representative Interview

Enterprise Demand Management Representative
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email from a recruiter initially and we set up a phone call time. On the day of the phone interview a woman (not the recruiter) called me ten minutes after the schedule time which I thought was a little rude because at the end of the interview she said she had to rush off to a meeting. Given the interview was VERY technical and I should have prepared a lot more so "rushing off to a meeting" might have been a lie.

Interview Question – What are the challenges Google Enterprise faces in the future? or How would you explain cloud computing to a year old child?   Answer Question