Google Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

3.5

740 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Google.

online interview 20 mins. Asked almost everything on my resume.
    Onsite interview 30 mins. Asked things on resume again and in more details. And then, asked what kind of tools you've been using, what skills do you have. Let you write some simple scripts. And so on.

Interview Questions
    • question about voltage regulation and layout of inverter   View Answer

Production Designer(Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Google.

They selected a few students through the school and I was one of them. They first asked me if I am interested in the job and after that they sent me a one day design test. Around 2 weeks after I submitted, I got Email for an onsite interview. For the onsite interview, I talked to a UI designer, a project designer and a project manager. Basically just talked about the design test I did.

Strategic Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Phone screen with global HR, phone interview with a team manager. Then 4, 40 minute onsite interviews. Everyone was very helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating throughout the process.

Phone interviews all very conversational and straight forward, re: "easy". By the end of these first interviews you will have a MUCH clearer idea of what the job actually entails. In my case, the JD ended up being more advertizing and sales based than I had expected.

I came in person to Mountain View for the 4 onsite interviews and interviewed with a diverse group of team managers, and their managers' managers. One guy still wanted to do a Google Hangout interview because he was on the other side of campus, which was a strange given how far I had traveled to meet the team.

Questions onsite were both easy & difficult, but rapport was good with all interviewers.

One interviewer made it clear that if I was accepted for the job I would not have time to pursue other projects I was working on on the side. They were also very transparent about how Google differs from the startup environment I was used to, and what would be my potential frustrations at Google.

I came away from the interviews unsure if the job actually was the right fit for me -- from the lack of offer seems like the interviewers agreed.

Questions were all behavioral "tell me about a time when...", resume related, industry related, and hypothetical "what would you do if...". No brain teasers.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Referral process. Was contacted a week later and scheduled my first phone interview. The first interview was just a traditional phone interview asking you questions of why you want the job, your personal background, and pretty much confirming your resume. Second phone interview was scheduled for a few days later and it was a critical thinking phone interview. Someone else from HR called and asked 3 critical thinking questions to evaluate your thinking and decision making.

Interview Questions
    • You are planning an all-hands meeting to highlight the successes of teams. How will you go through in planning this all-hands meeting.   Answer Question

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Good communication, got on-site interviews right away. Liked the interviews, but they did not like me. I think they did not like the competition, as I have a lot of experience, as well as several patents. I liked the company culture a lot. I will continue my efforts to get a job there.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of focus on if I had any open source experience, if I had a Git and so on.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for Google in February 2014 for a new graduate software developer position. The interviews were outlined as follows (but were punctuated with many conversations with my recruiter):

1) Phone interview with recruiter to assess goals and ideal company culture. I'm sure that other topics were discussed, but it felt more like I was being sold on the company than being interviewed.
    2) 1 hour technical phone interview using a Google Doc. I was given a small problem that required a lot of thought and had multiple solutions. The problem itself only required basic computer science knowledge, but was heavily dependent on your problem solving abilities.
    3) 4 on site interviews in one day. I can't discuss what transpired, but I can confidently say these were the toughest interview questions I've ever encountered. The day felt incredibly long, and by the time I got to my final interview I was already mentally exhausted.

Now in August, I'm still waiting to hear back from my recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

I was not looking to switch jobs, but I was contacted out of the blue by a recruiter on LinkedIn. I was happy with my job that I held with the same company since college graduation (10 years). However, I decided to give Google a shot. If anything it would probably teach me something about myself.

The recruiter set up a phone interview for roughly 1 month later. I apparently did well as the recruiter contacted me about 2 hours after the interview to say I passed. I was forwarded off to a recruiter in Mountain View that set up an on-site interview for about 1.5 months later. I'm sure the time frames here could have been quicker, but for each step I wanted time to study.

During the on-site interview, I met with 5 different engineers (4 where feedback was taken and 1 lunch interview). Each interview lasted between 45 minutes and 1 hour. I interviewed with members from 2 specific teams, the potential ones I would be joining if offered a position. Despite the fact the lunch interview was not supposed to count, I was told that the lunch interviewer was instrumental in getting me hired.

It took quite a long time after the on-site interview until I received an offer. It took 2 weeks to collect interview feedback and 1 week to get the go-ahead to put me through the hiring committee. It took 2 weeks to go through the hiring committee and an additional week to go through the executive committee. At that point I had an offer, but it took another day or two to negotiate the details. I initially wanted to decline the offer since I was leery of moving my family, but the recruiter gave me the weekend to think about it.

I verbally accepted after the weekend. It took another two days to choose a relocation package and 1 more day to receive a formal offer letter which I electronically signed.

I hope I made the right choice! I am worried that I took a step or two down in responsibility, but the compensation was a little bit better than what I was making even cost-of-living adjusted. If anything I'll have an interesting experience to talk about and Google on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • However, I received 2 different dynamic programming problems which I didn't expect and I found to be quite difficult. 3 of the interviewers had me do whiteboard work but only 1 of them actually had me do any coding, which was a basic singly linked list type problem.   Answer Question
    I negotiated an additional $8K in base salary and an additional $5K signing bonus. Google would not budge on the RSU, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Timeline:
    * Reached out to recruiter: day 0
    * Call with recruiter: day 2
    * In-person interview: day 15
    * Calls with managers: days 28 - 32
    * Three offer revisions: days 33 - 43

In-Person Interview:
    A pretty standard affair with 5 45-minute inreviews and a lunch after the first 2. Most of the people seemed genuinly interested in the interview (save 1 person who seemed annoyed at having to do such a menial task) and were a lot of fun to talk to. I can't go into too much detail on the questions themselves (covered by NDA), but it's standard fare and if you know your stuff, you won't have any trouble.

How to Prepare:
    Just brush up on your algorithm design (iterative/recursive algs, big-o, etc). It might be helpful to just read up on some really clever algorithms from your academic days since the thought processes for those can have a lot in common with algorithms you might be asked to design.

Culture:
    The people who interviewed me seemed intelligent and very happy to be working at Google. One surprising factor for me was that every single person answered "what's you favorite part of working at Google?" the same way: "the people".

I had a better offer from a competing company that was also a better culture fit for me. I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Google's actively seeking software engineers so it's not difficult to get an interview, but don't let that trick you into believing the interviewing process is easy. They're looking for engineers that have both good analytical and design skills.

Once you're set up with a recruiter, he'll be your point of contact in terms of scheduling interviews. You'll first be given a phone interview and if you pass that, they'll bring you on-site for several 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sorted matrix where the number below and right of you will always be bigger, write an algorithm to find if a particular number exist in the matrix. What is the running time of your algorithm.   View Answers (3)

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

1) Phone interview - simple, typical interview questions with a recruiter
    2) On-site interview - group interview with two employees
    Some of the questions asked
    - Why do you want to work at Google?
    - Describe a difficult situation with fellow employees or a boss.
    - What is the craziest thing you've done in your life?
    3) On-site interview- interview with two employees by myself.