Google

3.5

778 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

International Recruiting Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Was contacted by Google's recruiter and a quick phone interview was set up. Was not actively looking for a change at that time, but who wouldn't want to work at Google, right? That was my thought. After the phone interview, came to Google campus twice for series of interviews. It was a combination of 1:1, 1:3, interviews, and there were total of six settings. After weeks have gone by, I was asked to do another phone interview with an recruiting executive based in the East Coast.

Interview Questions
    • Could you do a phone interview after 12 sets of interviews   Answer Question

Strategic Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Phone screen with global HR, phone interview with a team manager. Then 4, 40 minute onsite interviews. Everyone was very helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating throughout the process.

Phone interviews all very conversational and straight forward, re: "easy". By the end of these first interviews you will have a MUCH clearer idea of what the job actually entails. In my case, the JD ended up being more advertizing and sales based than I had expected.

I came in person to Mountain View for the 4 onsite interviews and interviewed with a diverse group of team managers, and their managers' managers. One guy still wanted to do a Google Hangout interview because he was on the other side of campus, which was a strange given how far I had traveled to meet the team.

Questions onsite were both easy & difficult, but rapport was good with all interviewers.

One interviewer made it clear that if I was accepted for the job I would not have time to pursue other projects I was working on on the side. They were also very transparent about how Google differs from the startup environment I was used to, and what would be my potential frustrations at Google.

I came away from the interviews unsure if the job actually was the right fit for me -- from the lack of offer seems like the interviewers agreed.

Questions were all behavioral "tell me about a time when...", resume related, industry related, and hypothetical "what would you do if...". No brain teasers.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

I went through a company called Adecco in Mountain View, and was connected to a contract Google job through them. 50% of Google employees are managed by outside companies, so that is how I went about it. After my application was submitted I was not contacted at all for 2 weeks, so I figured nothing was happening. While I was on vacation in Chicago I got an email from them saying I would have a phone screen the next day with google at 4:30pm. This was an inconvenient time for me, but I guess they are google so they can do whatever they want. I did the phone screen and was asked pretty basic questions about my background, why the RC position, what my transferrable skills are (i'm in education). Then after that I didn't hear from them until the following week. They sent me an email saying I was scheduled to come to Mountain View for an in person interview that Friday at 11:00pm. I had already planned to be out of town that day at another interview for another company, so this was frustrating that Google did not ask me what my availability was. I asked for Monday instead, but they refused saying that all the interviewing for this position was already scheduled for Friday. I accepted a skype interview instead. I interviewed with 2 groups of people. They asked me about my background, why the switch from education, what my priorities are when faced with many projects at one time. They asked me if a recruiter internally at Google were unresponsive to my calls and emails to set up an appointment, what I would do to handle that. They asked me to tell them an experience about customer service, and about how I have handled a difficult situation within my career. After the interview I didn't hear back from them for 2 weeks even though they said I would hear back within the next week. Finally when the lady from Adecco called me back to tell me I didn't get the job, the only feedback she gave me was that Google said that "Candidate lacks drive and ambition". I felt that the interview was strong, and I doubt that is the case seeing as I have already turned down that same position at 3 other big companies in the area and just really wanted Google!

I have a good friend who is doing the same RC job for them right on on contract, and she actually had to interview for about 5 different positions before she got a job with Google. There is no magic formula for what they are looking for in these interviews (at least none of us have figured it out if there is) because many of the jobs there are menial easy tasks that anyone with half a brain and a college degree could do. Most people there are incredibly over qualified, working temp for $25 an hour, and face no chance of being converted at the end of their contract. Getting a job at google really just depends on who your interviewer is, how much they like you, would they want to hook up with you, what they had for lunch that day, or what kind of mood they are in. If you don't get it, just keep trying.

Interview Questions
    • How I would handle it if recruiters won't respond to the appointments I set up for them.   View Answer

Software Engineer Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Two telephone rounds, followed by interview at Mountain View. The travel and accommodation was paid by google, but they were extremely reluctant to extend the stay, so had to check out in the morning in rush.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I was contacted after reaching out for an employee referral for a position in sales support. The recruiting staffer talked to me on the phone for 30 minutes to get a sense of my background. She then kicked off the process first involving a phone interview with the hiring manager, a Google Hangout with one of the managers on the team, and finally an onsite 3-person interview at one of the Mountain View offices. This took about more than a month to get through. It was stressful for me to research the products as much as possible but well organized (all interviewees were on time, the 1 day trip to Mountain View was very smooth). There weren't any crazy questions (mostly behavioral or hypothetically support strategy scenarios).

After the on-site interview, I heard back from a recruiter in about 4-5 days with a rejection. I was very disappointed but understood that the position wasn't the best fit for me. I didn't think I performed at 110% throughout each interview and was kind of amazed to brought to the on-site. I imagine they picked someone with a stronger support background.

Overall, the process was clearly executed, however, I never got the sense that the employees truly enjoyed what they were doing or that the recruiters were eager to have me in the process. I'm just comparing this to the other interview process I had with another big tech company where I actually felt that they wanted me. I always felt like there was a general sense like "We're Google. You're not good enough for us," but this won't stop me from trying again in the future.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Standard: 1 phone screen + 5 on-site technical rounds. Overall the interviewers were pleasant and they look for coherent solutions with bug-free code. Prepare for computer science fundamentals especially algos and data structures. I was lucky that they did not ask any system design questions.

Interview Questions
    • Find the local minima in an array. A local minima is defined as a number whose left and right indices are greater than it in value.   View Answers (4)
    • An array contains integers with the property that a particular number, called the majority element, appears more than 50% of the time. Give an algo to find this majority number   View Answers (4)
    • Implement std::vector's push_back()

Also asked for maximum contiguous subarray problem

View Answer
    • There are n points in a plane. Find the max number of points that lie on a line   View Answer
    • In a given binary tree, find the number of elements that lie in a given range.   View Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

I interviewed with three different people. It seemed a little uncoordinated considering they asked similar questions if not the same. The worst part is I could't tell how I did. The three people seemed very animated, however I was extremely nervous.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Logistics Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

I applied at the beginning of July 2014 specifically looking for a "startup" team within Google, and the entire process from submitting to signing took approximately 2 months. The process went smoothly from step to step, but it was quite a long and exhausting process compared to other interview processes I was going through, and I definitely considered accepting other offers since Google was moving relatively slowly compared to other smaller startups. I’m glad I held out in the end, as Google was my top choice. Looking back at the interview process timeline, Google recruiting was prompt in their communication with me about my status, often getting back to me within the same day that I’d made it on to the next step. However, between steps and scheduling next steps was where the time seemed to add up and cause the process to drag out. The salary the offered me was competitive, and I negotiated a bit just to see what would happen, and successfully increased both my base and stock options.

App Submission: July 1st
    Hearing back about Onsite: August 5th
    Hiring Committee Submission: August 15th
    Offer: August 21st
    Signing: August 22nd

All three parts of the interview- phone screen, video conference and onsite- involved hypothetical case situations, and I was definitely taken by surprise to have a case during the phone screen, so be prepared for that. My onsite consisted of three interviewers- the head of the group, a manager within the group, and a manager from another team- and they were a mix of hypothetical case questions, behavioral questions and questions about how I work with others in a team setting. Overall, most of the interviewers had a fairly warm interviewing style, but one person had a totally cold, poker-faced interviewing style, and it threw me off a ton, since I'm the kind of person that needs at least some facial feedback.

The hiring committee step of the process was confusing to me- all hiring at Google goes through a centralized hiring committee, with hiring for each role category decided by a dedicated hiring committee. One is not officially extended an offer until the hiring committee approves the application, so even though the team I interviewed with verbally stated that they wanted me, I didn’t have an offer until 2.5 weeks later when the hiring committee approved me. After approval from the hiring committee, salary and compensation are then decided by a separate committee.

Overall, I had a very positive interviewing experience and thought my recruiter did a great job keeping me in the loop and preparing me for each step of the interview process. It was unquestionably a long and exhausting process, and felt like jumping through repeated hoops, and I know it would have been pretty crushing for it to not work out after having been put through so much, but luckily it did for me.

Interview Questions
    • I had hypothetical case questions in all three stages of my interview, and the questions were very tied to the actual content of the role. I wasn't expecting a case question in my phone screen, as I assumed it'd be entirely behavioral, so that caught me off guard. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, they seem to care more about how you think, rather than whether the answer is right the first time around. For example, during one of my onsite interviews, I was asked to come up with the requirements to automate a particular process, and the initial metric I based the requirements off of was not entirely accurate. The interviewer guided me by asking me different situations to get me to test the metric until I revised my thinking to a metric that more accurately measured the process. Through this experience, I got the impression that the interviewers wanted to see how agile I was in my thinking, and were constantly prodding me to see what sorts of answers I would produce.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate- I just asked whether a relocation package was available, and ended up getting a higher base and more stocks in lieu of a relocation package, which worked out better for me in the end. I was advised by other Googlers that it's relatively difficult to negotiate base, but that there is more room to negotiate on stock options, but luckily I was able to adjust both.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

45 minute phone interview: program a computational geometry problem, the phone interviewer did not ask anything else at all.

onsite:

preparation:
    I prepared for two weeks. I had been asked to brush up on my algorithms. So I basically took, the online versions of Prof: Tim Roughgarden's Algorithms class @ Stanford and parts of Prof. Erik Demain's class on Advanced data structures. @ mit. Also geeksforgeeks.org also helped me. Even if you don't get into google, I would say that taking these classes are very good for your future technical skills.

5 people interviewed me, 45 minutes each. None of the 5 interviewers asked me any algorithm heavy questions. There was no topcoder style questions either. Most of the questions were related to my domain area viz: computer vision and machine learning. Since I had just switched into these areas, I was not an expert and my answers were often patchy. One of the interviewers asked me a question on large scale system design.

I am just waiting for the results.

Interview Questions
    • An open ended question on large scale system design, for this you need to be an internet programmer, knowing about issues related to data replication, data availability, large scale scaling etc. I was very patchy on all of these areas.   Answer Question