Google Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Several initial phone screen calls, followed by an invitation to come for a full-day onsite. I was also asked to submit several online questionnaires that targeted comp details, references, and current role and position. This is my first time applying for a position and I have heard from many past applicants that Google does not typically hire folks who have applied for the first time. I am still in the interview process - awaiting an onsite interview.

Offer Letter Review Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I went through a series of phone interviews, then was invited out to the campus to meet the team. After that, I was narrowed down to the final batch candidates and they reached out to my references. Overall, the process felt very stress free, and even though I wasn't offered the job, they were extremely complimentary and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you disagreed with the decision of a supervisor. What did you do?   Answer Question

Analytics Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a referral from a current Google employee. A recruiter contacted me by email to let me know that my application was being reviewed by the broader hiring team. An initial phone interview was conducted about 1 month after my application, after which I was invited down for 4 on-site interviews (1-on-1), plus lunch with a team member. I was informed of the decision about 2 weeks after the on-site interviews. Total time from application to decision was about 2.5 months. I worked primarily with a single recruiter throughout, who gave me feedback (upon request) after the decision.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview consisted mostly of foundational/conceptual questions - basic concepts in program management and statistical analysis. On-site interviews had a mix of application questions and conceptual questions. Be sure to review core technical concepts, and don't be afraid to ask questions.   Answer Question

Staffing and Operations Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Very quick and transparent process. You have a phone screening with the recruiter, then you submit your case study, then phone interview with team member. Finally onsite interview. They ask you very analytical questions, nothing too behavioral. Ask about experiences that apply to a strategic way of thinking and how you have used skills to make improvements in the past.

Interview Questions

• Time I used my skills in the past.   1 Answer

Latin America Insisde Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I found the job posting by searching Google's online database and applied with a written recommendation of a friend of a friend which, as I understand it, entitles Google to at least a preliminary or "screening" type of interview. I had about a 15 minute telephone interview that was surprisingly standard, asking general questions about my background and experience (basically confirming what was on my resume). I was prepared for more obscure questions, which Google is known for. As I did not proceed to a second interview, I can only assume that such questions are asked during subsequent interviews.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a bit about your experience at "Company X"?   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First two rounds were regarding my resume and phone screening. Third round was personal interview and was more intense. I spoke with an employee in New York over VC. We briefly introduced one another and he went on directly to the questions. It was like, an answer to a question leading to another question, type of thing.

Interview Questions

• If gmail would start charging customers $20/year annual fee, what will be the pros and cons?   Answer Question

Power Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 rounds. At first I spoke to a person on the phone for 30 minutes. He was very unfriendly so I immediately felt I did not want the job if I had to work with him. Next I met a second person at Google for about 60 minutes. The guy was really friendly and polite. Finally, I talked to another person on the phone for 30 minutes. He was a very rude manager, insistent and totally unfriendly. At that point I knew I didn't want the job and I would have refused an offer anyway.

Interview Questions

• How do you power up a device?   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was one phone call interview with another TPM, and then another phone call with engineer. I'm still in the interview process The first interview included questions on project management concepts The second call was an engineering test - simple coding exercise followed by system design question Through the entire process I'm in touch with a recruiter regarding the next steps and times.

Interview Questions

• - compare agile to waterfall methodologies - how do you handle new requirement in the middle of the project - how do you estimate project's expected work for a new project without history   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who told me the hiring manager liked my resume. She then setup a technical phone interview. For that interview, I was contacted an hour ahead of the scheduled time. I asked my interviewer if he could give me 5 minutes to get ready, but he said it was alright and would call me an hour later. He called and mentioned his name and that he was from Google. Then he copy-pasted a problem into Google Docs and asked for a solution. So yes, no introductions about himself or about me. I guess they don't care until you go onsite as a "potential" candidate. I asked a couple of questions to make sure I understood the problem. Afterwards, I wrote a recursive DFS solution. The interviewer said my solution was fine and that he had no more problems for me. I asked him some questions about the job role, but all I got was vague/cryptic answers. Very weird? Overall, the experience is negative/neutral. My recruiter was AWESOME! (Keep in mind that Google recruiters are different from those who schedule your interview.) Very nice and well spoken. She also articulated to the best of her abilities the role I was applying for without getting into a lot of the details because of confidentiality. Unfortunately, my phone interviewer was a dud. I guess interviewing with Google matters much about the coding skills you have as well as the luck of the draw on who interviews you. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Similar to this: Given an NxN grid of 0s, 1s, and 2s, find out whether 1s or 2s is surrounded starting at (i,j). Being surrounded means that 1s is surrounded by 2s or that 2s is surrounded by 1s.   3 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a recruiter who wanted to talk with me about a recruiting role on their team. We had an initial informal phone conversation which was followed by a more thorough phone conversation. The recruiter asked me an updated resume for the team to review. Following the review of my resume the team asked to fly me out for an onsite. The onsite interview consisted of 4 interviewers for about 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about identifying the top 10% of IBM software engineers? What is the difference between management and leadership? How would I go about setting up flu vaccination stations across Google campuses…and then how would I expand internationally? Behavioral based questions - tell me about when you did this, or teamwork, or accomplished this… Bring stories prepared Examples about Improving processes Delighted a client or a candidate Challenging wins when you had to overcome obstacles Times when you failed Teams that you have worked with (variety) Leadership opportunities (did not have direct authority but stepped up and led a team to the finish line) Don’t be afraid to go in deep. Add details, context, decisions making and data. Give color context with more details vs. not enough. Hypothetical questions… Related to staffing or problems that you would solve Scenario based questions – ask clarifying questions or make assumptions (they want to see how you gather data). They want to see that you’re asking questions and that you are using data to get you to a solution Considerations: look at the problem from a number from different angles Is your solution scalable? Leadership – are you someone who has strong influencing skills? Are you compelling and can you motivate others? Do you take initiative? Do you anticipate needs of clients? Are you proactive instead of reactive? Question around times you’ve had to get buy in, driven a project or process. Problem Solving – how do you respond to questions are you analytical? Do you gather data, are you strategic? Are you asking thoughtful questions? Role Related Knowledge – transferable skills that you bring. What competencies do you bring to the table? What are some key differences from the role you’re in vs. this role? Culture Fit – are you a good long term fit. They look for people who are super flexible and adaptable, pivot skills, reprioritize and roll with punches. Super collaborative, sharing ideas, talking through ideas. Working as a team, cross functional, open minded, thoughtful about things you say. Ambiguity, navigate your way etc.   2 Answers