Google

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Software Engineer In Test
Mountain View, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, contacted by HR, then got 1 phone screen interview, passed that then 4 onsite interviews. after 2 weeks entered hiring committee process but got rejected at last.

Interview Question – most of the questions are tech questions that I never saw before.   Answer Question

Java Software Engineer Interview

Java Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Usually interview has couple of rounds followed by a customer round. The first round was either telephonic or face to face interview,which contains questions related to the job description. Also they look for approaches how you solve a problem, given an example. In the second round, I was given a couple of java problems and asked to code. They look more for a problem solving and analytic skill rather than knowing the answer. Hope this helps!

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, just asked to code couple of programs.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They take more time to process and schedule the customer round, nearly 15-20 days.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Was very quick as I already had another competing offer from Microsoft.
Interview was scheduled as soon as I sent my resume through employee referral. And got the offer letter very fast.

Interview Question – Log structured file system synchronization design.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Strategist Product Quality Operations Interview

Strategist Product Quality Operations
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The entire process was very positive. The first interview was a phone screening with the recruiter. Followed by a Hangout interview with a manager on the team. He asked a couple questions about how I would design a system and also behavioral questions such as how had I handled a conflict with a coworker. Afterwards I was invited for an onsite interview where I spoke with three different managers from the department. They asked questions mostly about how I would design things and a couple managers did ask about my resume. Each person was quite friendly and laid back. However, it felt strictly business though and there was no tour of the facility. Though they were hospitable and offered snacks/drinks. The final interview was another Hangout interview with the overall lead. When it came time to negotiate with the recruiters they would not budge on salary or department. Even though I expressed some concern initially that the role seemed less technical than what I had desired. After I originally declined the offer they asked that I think over it some more, after which they offered to see if another department were willing to hire me. At that point it was for a department with a manager I did not meet during the interview process which made it difficult to determine if it would really be a good fit. I ultimately declined. My company countered on salary when they heard about the offer and I was already in a challenging and pleasurable work environment. It didn't seem worth the trouble to relocate and displace my spouse's employment to take a risk on a less technical role with effectively less buying power salary wise.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a spam filter for gmail, how would you go about creating such a system?   Answer Question
  • How would you go about creating a recommendation engine for Google Play?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was very happy at my current company and the decision was quite difficult. Ultimately it came down to the fact that my current responsibilities were more technical in nature than the position at Google seemed to be. I had considered for a time in taking the role in the hopes to step back into a more technical role down the line but when adjusted for cost of living the base salary my company offered was more than what Google was willing to provide.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initially, the recruiter contacted me for a phone screen. Then scheduled a google hangout interview with a technical account manager. Received a reject email few days after the interview. The interview consists of Algorithms ; web programming ; behavioral questions. Nothing was hard. Many questions were not very technical.

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – following the initial recruiter outreach there was a call w the hiring manager, a trip to MTV where I met with 5-6 ppl, then three panel reviews / approvals.

Interview Question – most of my interviews were conversational, i was passionate about the subject matter so the flow was easy and even fun. the reality is there are no wrong responses - its just them understanding how you think. really research before you go - then just be yourself and remember it has to be a fit on both sides - you are interviewing them too.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i showed the offer to a friend who is in HR for a global brand - he said it was excellent and to sit tight.

Enterprise Partner Manager Interview

Enterprise Partner Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me first. then phone interview was set up with a marketing manager. The last step was on site interview with 4 people for 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – There were a lot real case scenarios.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Algorithm and design a ranking system

Interview Question – Design a ping-pong ranking system   View Answers (5)

Associate Account Strategist, SMB Sales Interview

Associate Account Strategist, SMB Sales
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – First off, let me say that I applied via the website without an internal referral and got a response the very next day, so the "Google application black hole" is definitely not true. Here's a rundown of my interview experience:

Phase 1: Basic phone interview with my recruiter for 15-20ish minutes. I was asked why google, why this role, how would you explain adwords to a 5 year old (not a trick question! They just want to make sure you have at least a basic understanding of what adwords is), and a "tell me a time when..." question.

Phase 2: About a week after my phone screen, I was schedules for 2 back-to-back 30 minute phone calls. I will say this phase, as well as phase 3 were probably a little different for me because I have past sales experience. These two phone screens were pretty much entirely situational questions with a few "tell me a time when..." questions. I would probably say 80%/20% was the breakdown. I think seeing from my resume that I come from a background in sales caused them to ask more situational questions. For example, I was asked questions such as "say your response rate from clients is low, what steps would you take to make sure you're getting through to more clients on the phone/email?" and "lets say you are working with a flower shop, what is one feature of adwords you would really sell them on?" Things like that. Needless to say, make sure you know the ins and outs of adwords (easy enough however, because google's website is full of information; I never worked with adwords before this, and I did fine).

Phase 3: The day after my phone interview, I was emailed and invited on site. This interview happened roughly a week and a half later. Google was great with all the logistics. They had their travel agency book everything for me, and covered my taxi rides, and gave me a food stipend. My onsite interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 30 minute interviews and a 30 minute Q&A session with my recruiter after. The interviews were basically the same as the phone interviews. However, I have a strong feeling that my phone interviewers let these ones know they asked me mostly situational questions, because during onsite, I didn't get asked any situational. In fact, I didn't get asked about adwords at all, which I found interesting. Mine were all "I see from your resume that you worked ______. Can you tell me a time where you ______ at company _____?" I did however get one curveball question which was "If you were CEO for a day, what product would you create?" This doesn't need to be technical! Mine wasn't and my answer was fine.

I eventually got a call 2 weeks later saying I got the job.

Some tips:

-For the most part, I found that my interviewers asked questions based on what I had just said (i.e. they diverted from their script). So in a way, you can definitely steer the interview. Like I said, I came from a sales background, and talked a lot about that, which left almost no time for them to ask "out of the box" questions, because they kept diving deeper into my
experience.

-Google said they got rid of the "typical" Google questions (i.e. "why are manhole covers round?"), but they didn't. A few people in my interview group said they got asked a few. So just be aware of this and stay on your toes.

-30 minutes goes by really quickly, so make sure you get across what you want to in that short time frame and don't ramble. All of my interviews felt like they lasted 15 minutes.

Interview Question – Let's say you are working with a bakery. What 3 Google items would you sell them on?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Professional and friendly. Combination of behavioral and hypothetical questions. Understand Google's products before going into the interview. Despite how much prep you do, interviewers will find a way to have questions that are unexpected. You should be able to articulate your framework for planning events and managing logistics for large gatherings of people.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on whether or not individuals should be required to use their official name when opening a gmail or Google + account?   Answer Question