Google

3.5

781 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

E-Billing Administror, Legal Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

I was first contacted by a Google recruiter, Emily, back in April about a different position that they ended up hiring internally for. She then contacted me about this position again in late June and I couldn't wait to discuss the role. Here's what sets Google apart from the rest in my opinion:

1) The recruiters (from my experience) take a genuine interest in you and your well-being. It was almost as if she was more of a mentor during the entire process, and I really appreciated her willingness to help.
    2) They want you to do well, and will offer you information about what to study/prepare for the interview steps.
    3) The interview process is VERY difficult. Although you are given some tips about what to prepare, you still have no idea what might be asked of you.

I cannot go into much detail, but this is the basic interview process that I went through:

1) Telephone contact with recruiter
    2) Many emails and follow-up emails re same.
    3) Telephone interview with member of the team
    4) Google paid for travel to Mountain View, CA headquarters for in-person interviews with five individuals of the department.

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Good communication, got on-site interviews right away. Liked the interviews, but they did not like me. I think they did not like the competition, as I have a lot of experience, as well as several patents. I liked the company culture a lot. I will continue my efforts to get a job there.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of focus on if I had any open source experience, if I had a Git and so on.   View Answer

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

The interview process for BizOps is long and arduous. Although the group is about 45 people, the Vice President likes to meet each candidate; this is the bottle neck.

First, there is a phone screen with a recruiter, then an in person interview involving 3 one hour case interviews. The case is often set up to cover a problem that the team member had to solve while at google. The second in-person round is again 3 one hour cases, plus an in-formal lunch. The final step is a one hour case with the VP.

Overall, team members seemed smart, passionate, and easy to talk to. They were also very transparent about some of the aspects that they felt Google could improve upon. Interviews felt like a discussion and not a stituation where the interviewer was waiting to poke holes or wanted you to stumble.

The problem is that the VP is really too busy to meet every candidate. After a 3.5 week wait the recruiter left a voicemail saying they were using my already scheduled interview slot for another higher priority role. This also happened the day after I told them I had an exploding offer. Not sure if this is what Google does when they're worried candidates might not accept; but this seems a poor way to keep your offer acceptance rate high. Also, if you're prioritizing roles, you should probably not expect people to do multiple rounds of interviews if they aren't a priority. Not only does this waste the candidate's time, but it also wasted each team member who set aside an hour to interview them. Overall Google may be an innovative, successful company but failing to prioritize candidates and being unprofessional will eventually catch up to them. I am very disappointed in their process; and will likely withdraw.

International Recruiting Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Was contacted by Google's recruiter and a quick phone interview was set up. Was not actively looking for a change at that time, but who wouldn't want to work at Google, right? That was my thought. After the phone interview, came to Google campus twice for series of interviews. It was a combination of 1:1, 1:3, interviews, and there were total of six settings. After weeks have gone by, I was asked to do another phone interview with an recruiting executive based in the East Coast.

Interview Questions
    • Could you do a phone interview after 12 sets of interviews   Answer Question

Strategic Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Phone screen with global HR, phone interview with a team manager. Then 4, 40 minute onsite interviews. Everyone was very helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating throughout the process.

Phone interviews all very conversational and straight forward, re: "easy". By the end of these first interviews you will have a MUCH clearer idea of what the job actually entails. In my case, the JD ended up being more advertizing and sales based than I had expected.

I came in person to Mountain View for the 4 onsite interviews and interviewed with a diverse group of team managers, and their managers' managers. One guy still wanted to do a Google Hangout interview because he was on the other side of campus, which was a strange given how far I had traveled to meet the team.

Questions onsite were both easy & difficult, but rapport was good with all interviewers.

One interviewer made it clear that if I was accepted for the job I would not have time to pursue other projects I was working on on the side. They were also very transparent about how Google differs from the startup environment I was used to, and what would be my potential frustrations at Google.

I came away from the interviews unsure if the job actually was the right fit for me -- from the lack of offer seems like the interviewers agreed.

Questions were all behavioral "tell me about a time when...", resume related, industry related, and hypothetical "what would you do if...". No brain teasers.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

I went through a company called Adecco in Mountain View, and was connected to a contract Google job through them. 50% of Google employees are managed by outside companies, so that is how I went about it. After my application was submitted I was not contacted at all for 2 weeks, so I figured nothing was happening. While I was on vacation in Chicago I got an email from them saying I would have a phone screen the next day with google at 4:30pm. This was an inconvenient time for me, but I guess they are google so they can do whatever they want. I did the phone screen and was asked pretty basic questions about my background, why the RC position, what my transferrable skills are (i'm in education). Then after that I didn't hear from them until the following week. They sent me an email saying I was scheduled to come to Mountain View for an in person interview that Friday at 11:00pm. I had already planned to be out of town that day at another interview for another company, so this was frustrating that Google did not ask me what my availability was. I asked for Monday instead, but they refused saying that all the interviewing for this position was already scheduled for Friday. I accepted a skype interview instead. I interviewed with 2 groups of people. They asked me about my background, why the switch from education, what my priorities are when faced with many projects at one time. They asked me if a recruiter internally at Google were unresponsive to my calls and emails to set up an appointment, what I would do to handle that. They asked me to tell them an experience about customer service, and about how I have handled a difficult situation within my career. After the interview I didn't hear back from them for 2 weeks even though they said I would hear back within the next week. Finally when the lady from Adecco called me back to tell me I didn't get the job, the only feedback she gave me was that Google said that "Candidate lacks drive and ambition". I felt that the interview was strong, and I doubt that is the case seeing as I have already turned down that same position at 3 other big companies in the area and just really wanted Google!

I have a good friend who is doing the same RC job for them right on on contract, and she actually had to interview for about 5 different positions before she got a job with Google. There is no magic formula for what they are looking for in these interviews (at least none of us have figured it out if there is) because many of the jobs there are menial easy tasks that anyone with half a brain and a college degree could do. Most people there are incredibly over qualified, working temp for $25 an hour, and face no chance of being converted at the end of their contract. Getting a job at google really just depends on who your interviewer is, how much they like you, would they want to hook up with you, what they had for lunch that day, or what kind of mood they are in. If you don't get it, just keep trying.

Interview Questions
    • How I would handle it if recruiters won't respond to the appointments I set up for them.   View Answer

Software Engineer Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Two telephone rounds, followed by interview at Mountain View. The travel and accommodation was paid by google, but they were extremely reluctant to extend the stay, so had to check out in the morning in rush.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I was contacted after reaching out for an employee referral for a position in sales support. The recruiting staffer talked to me on the phone for 30 minutes to get a sense of my background. She then kicked off the process first involving a phone interview with the hiring manager, a Google Hangout with one of the managers on the team, and finally an onsite 3-person interview at one of the Mountain View offices. This took about more than a month to get through. It was stressful for me to research the products as much as possible but well organized (all interviewees were on time, the 1 day trip to Mountain View was very smooth). There weren't any crazy questions (mostly behavioral or hypothetically support strategy scenarios).

After the on-site interview, I heard back from a recruiter in about 4-5 days with a rejection. I was very disappointed but understood that the position wasn't the best fit for me. I didn't think I performed at 110% throughout each interview and was kind of amazed to brought to the on-site. I imagine they picked someone with a stronger support background.

Overall, the process was clearly executed, however, I never got the sense that the employees truly enjoyed what they were doing or that the recruiters were eager to have me in the process. I'm just comparing this to the other interview process I had with another big tech company where I actually felt that they wanted me. I always felt like there was a general sense like "We're Google. You're not good enough for us," but this won't stop me from trying again in the future.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

A recruiter found me through LinkedIn and we chatted about my experiences and interests. After I was passed to another recruiter, followed by one phone screen, one design exercise, and one round of one-site interview which lasted a day.

The recruiters were very professional and respond very quickly in terms of giving feedback and answering questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Standard: 1 phone screen + 5 on-site technical rounds. Overall the interviewers were pleasant and they look for coherent solutions with bug-free code. Prepare for computer science fundamentals especially algos and data structures. I was lucky that they did not ask any system design questions.

Interview Questions
    • Find the local minima in an array. A local minima is defined as a number whose left and right indices are greater than it in value.   View Answers (4)
    • An array contains integers with the property that a particular number, called the majority element, appears more than 50% of the time. Give an algo to find this majority number   View Answers (4)
    • Implement std::vector's push_back()

Also asked for maximum contiguous subarray problem

View Answer
    • There are n points in a plane. Find the max number of points that lie on a line   View Answer
    • In a given binary tree, find the number of elements that lie in a given range.   View Answer