Google

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Grad Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – There are 3 stages to the interview process.
First after applying, they will email you to set up a phone conversation. This is not an interview. It's more to acquaint you with the process and tell you what will happen. At the end of this conversation, they will schedule the first technical interview, which will be over the phone.

The first technical interview is roughly a 40 minute phone call. They asked me very very briefly about my resume, then launched into questions. There were three questions. One general, "think on your feet" kind of question. And two specific programming questions.

They don't expect you to answer them point blank. The questions are as much about seeing if you can work with them to get the right answer as it is about getting the right answer. That being said, from what I'm told, 90% of people do not pass this stage.

After this interview, I received a phone call the next day telling me I made it to the next stage, the on-site interview. The on-site interview is actually 4 separate interviews separated by a one hour lunch on Google campus. Supposedly this is the last stage. I haven't actually done it yet, but hopefully I'll get the job

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. I had no idea when I applied for the position as the last time i sent out resumes was at least 6 months prior. The recruiter set me up for a phone interview which lasts about 45mins. Ideally they ask two questions one easy and one hard and you are asked to code in Google Doc.

After I was done with the phone interview I got a call the immediate next day saying I got selected for On-Site interview at Mountain View. Was pretty excited and set three weeks aside. On-Site there were 5 rounds one of which supposedly does not count.
1. The first one was for the SWE position.One interviewer and one shadow. System design question. Bombed this one.
2. The second one was for SWE and SWET position. A Matrix navigation kind of problem. Did well towards the end, maybe I took too much time.
3. The third one was for SWET, binary AVL Tree based question. I was asked to write code solving a specific problem based on AVL trees, Once I was done with that I was asked to solve for the reverse case of the problem. solved both just in time.
4. The third one had an easy question to start things off and then a tough question. the easy question is just to warm up, the tough one was the proper one. It's essentially reading a tree off of a file. I offered a a couple of solutions before the end of the interview. Towards the end I somehow stumbled towards an optimal one.

Interview Question – I was caught a little off-guard by the System Design question. I actually like system design a lot and worked on some complex distributed system design before. I guess the major confusion I faced with the question was that I did not understand what the requirements were.   Answer Question

Software Engineer- New Grad Interview

Software Engineer- New Grad

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I think like with most companies a resume is supposed to get you an interview and the interview the job. I don't think Google's hiring process was any different than any other company. However, it was faster. HR and Recruiters are very friendly, informative and helpful.

This was my first interview for a software engineer position. I was terrified and nervous about the technical interviews. The interviewers were nice, helpful and calming. Even though I did not get the offer, I felt happy for the experience. Google makes the process smooth by having great people to interview you.

Interview Question – Cannot answer any questions about interview questions I signed a NDA.   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn > Set up phone interview. The recruiter is nice, but the software engineer I talked to is not friendly at all.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, but you need to optimize your answer in both time and space complexity.   Answer Question

Software Engineering: New Grad Interview

Software Engineering: New Grad
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone call to talk about my interests. Then a new recruiter emailed me to schedule a technical interview. Afterwards, yet another technical recruiter called me by phone to do a phone interview over Google Docs. Good experience, the questions are hard, but not that hard. My questions literally came from the book Programming Pearls. So.. after you brushed up on your algorithms, go read Programming Pearls. In the end, Google did not offer me a position. It was a very interesting experience which taught me a lot.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Software Engineer - New Grad
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for google's new grad position that is available on Sep 1. They contacted me a few weeks later to set up a phone interview.

They gave me a list of categories to choose from (that I specialize in). Here were the choices: (choose 3)
    * Advanced Algorithms
    * Audio/video
    * Billing/payment testing
    * Compilers and software tools (linkers, debuggers, IDEs, etc.)
    * Computer vision
    * Concurrency, multi-threading, synchronization
    * Database internals
    * Distributed systems
    * Embedded software and real-time systems
    * Front end
    * Graphics and imaging
    * Information retrieval and data mining
    * Internationalization
    * Load and performance testing
    * Mac and iPhone development
    * Machine learning and AI
    * Natural language processing
    * Networking (TCP/IP and OSI stack)
    * Object-oriented analysis and design
    * Security and cryptography
    * System administration
    * Test automation
    * UI design and implementation
    * Web applications and multi-tiered systems
    * Windows development
    * Wireless applications

They also wanted you to choose your top 3 languages.

*********************PHONE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS:*****************************
BASED ON WHAT YOU CHOSE, they will ask you to know certain things... I chose the software side, so my questions were focused on:

1.) Big-O and Algorithms

2.) C++, Java, C#

3.) System Design

4.) Sorting:

5.) Hashtables:

6.) Trees:

7.) Graphs:

9.) Discrete Math

10.) Operating Systems: processes, threads and concurrency issues. Know about locks and mutexes

BOOKS RECOMMENDED (by Google) :
1. Review of Basic Algorithms: Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms by Anany Levitin
2. Programming Interviews Exposed; Secrets to Landing Your Next Job (Programmer to Programmer) by John Mongan, Noah Suojanen, and Eric Giguere **HIGHLY RECOMMENDED**

Besides the questions listed below, they also asked:
--Which would be better for situation X, Merge Sort or Quick Sort?

Interview Questions

• Write a function that finds the median of a set of three numbers, also find the Big O. Can it be done with only 2 comparisons, or do you need 3?   View Answers (9)
  • If you had a savings account with $1, at a 100% interest rate, at what year would you have 15 billion dollars?   View Answers (4)
  • When would you want to use a hash table over a binary search tree? What are the Big O's?   View Answer
  • What IS Big O?   View Answers (2)
  • What happens if one resource is waiting on another resource to finish, but that SAME resource happens to be waiting on that other same resource....   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

Software Engineer, New Grad
Mountain View, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – There were 2 technical phone interviews which went pretty well. The questions were really simple and the interviewers were really nice. I got an email a few days after to set up the on-site interview.
The on-site interview was a lot harder. First I met with the recruiter who was really nice. She showed me around for a bit and then took me to a meeting room where I had all the interviews. The questions were a lot harder, they made you think in overall solutions to big problems, instead of focusing on something small.

Overall it was nice going to MTV and meeting some of their engineers.

Interview Question – atoi (phone interview)   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Software Engineer New Grad
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted via LinkedIn with the opportunity to apply to Google. A current employee who went to the same university found my resume and sent it in. The interview process consisted of two, 1 hour long, back to back phone interviews. I was sent a google doc for both of them and was asked to write code into the document while the interviewer watched my thought process and coding ability on the other end.

The first interviewer asked me to code a very abstract algorithm, I think her exercise was more to see what my though process was than my coding abilities.

The second interviewer asked me to write out a few simple algorithms in code, then describe the complexity of the code. He then asked me how I could try to break my code and to implement the fixes for those edge cases. Finally I was asked if there was any way to rewrite the code more efficiently and what the complexity of that new version of the code would be.

It seemed to me like the first interview did not go very well but that the second one was much better, however I was sent an email about 2 weeks later saying that they did not have a proper fit for my qualifications.

Both interviewers were nice but did not express much emotion and were not very helpful when trying to talk a solution out loud.

Interview Question – I was asked not to explicitly talk about the interview questions, but they involved live coding into a google doc and discussing the big O complexity of the algorithms used.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Software Engineer - New Grad
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview Details – After a brief phone screen consisting of a resume walk down, had two back to back 1 hour technical phone screen interviews. Phone screen interviews all consisted of technical programming challenges. Interviewers had me code into a shared google doc and explain my solutions as I went. Interviewers were helpful and provided clarification when needed, and even a few hints.

Interview Questions

• Given a base 10 number, print the hexidecimal (base 16) representation of that number.   View Answers (6)
  • Given a list of generic items, describe/code the approach would you take to finding the most common item.   Answer Question
  • Given a list of integers of at least length 7, print the average of each consecutive 7 number long subsequence (sliding window).   View Answers (4)

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in November 2010.

Interview Details – Two 1 hour phone interviews. They were very prompt however the interviewers were not very helpful at all. They asked their questions and then remained silent the whole time. I thought out loud and tried many solutions however didn't come up with a decently efficient one. Towards the last five minutes of the phone call, they would tell you the correct solution and then ask you if you had any questions for them to wrap up the interview....

Interview Questions

• How would you find the power set of a set of numbers? Code it.   View Answer
  • Given a word that consists of two words such as "aman" give all the combination of valid two words. You are given a dictionary to test against.

Example: aman--> a man, am an. watermelon--> water melon
      Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!