Google Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

On campus interview two 45 minutes back to back. Very few to no behavioral questions. Did not ask much about past experience. Went straight to technical portion of the interview. Two programming questions each in the language of your own choosing. Given around 15-20 minutes per question. Last 5 minutes were for questions. Interviewers were nice, gave great advice.

Interview Questions
    • Design the game snake. Some questions on the Iteration interface and some algorithms and Big-O quesitons   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I am close friends with current employees at Google and I personally know the CEO. I figured with that I could get a job. I was given an interview, but once they discovered I didn't have a college degree from Yale/Harvard/MIT, etc. I was canned.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Referred by classmates, got 3 round technical phone interviews, coding on Google docs, general technical interview question including map, hashing, memory efficient array, missing range, dynamic programming, streaming data average and so on. Not too difficult and some of them are interesting.
    Results came two weeks after the interview process finished. Bad luck!

Interview Questions
    • map, hashing, memory efficient array, missing range, dynamic programming, streaming data average and so on   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Initial phone screen with a recruiter just to get some background information, then an over-the-phone techinical interview with a software engineer followed by 4 face-to-face interviews with 4 different engineers in one day.

MBA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

2 BACK TO BACK PHONE INTERVIEWS; both of my interviewers was late and got rescheduled for an urgent reason. Other than that, you would realized that the process is pretty conversational and pleasant. It is more like a chat instead of an interview. Make sure you know exactly which team you are interviewing with. one of my interviewer asked why this team even though i was told by the recruiter that I was not interviewing with any specific team within the big function. So sad.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Flew me into NYC for interview. Quick meeting with HR & then five (or was it six?) 45 minute white board sessions with engineers with a lunch break with another one. I'm terrible at those things--in fact, I'd never done anything like it except for meetings on systems design--brain froze up in the middle of the first one and I never really recovered.

If you're an older developer, the process can be quite alienating. First off, I'm not sure if you summed the ages of any of the two people I met up, it would equal mine. The guy they sent me to lunch with (my turn to ask questions, learn about the culture) was younger than my son! He was a great guy, but perhaps some senior person in HR with grown kids should try this sometime. Second, the brain-teaser at the whiteboard approach just wasn't the way we learned to tackle problems (I started coding in the early eighties). There are already enough criticisms of this hiring strategy, the irrelevance of these kinds of questions to the real requirements of getting systems running in production, and the "brogrammer" culture it fosters elsewhere, so I won't go into it. Criticism notwithstanding, you can't argue with their success.

Only once all day was I asked to talk about something I had accomplished.

Everybody I met was likable and nice. Much to their credit, the interviewers were understanding of the brain-freeze-at-whiteboard problem and I never got a smart-alecky smirk in five hours. The lunchroom was outrageous, and I would have stuffed myself if I hadn't three interviews left.

This interview model is endemic in the industry. If you are over fifty, good luck out there.

Interview Questions
    • The usual (I've since learned) careercup type interview questions, can't remember the particulars: brain-teasers painted with a coding question patina.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

The most long and drawn out bureaucratic process. There are multiple phone interviews. The first starts with someone from HR who will ask you basic CS and systems type questions. They have no idea what the answers are but this is the process. There are then a number of other phone interviews (3 at least) before you are asked to come onsite. They will drag it out for months for some reason. Maybe it's to see if you really want to work there, maybe it's company hiring incompetence, who knows. It's a nice place to use for interview practice if you are just starting out interviewing after working for many years.

It's an ivory tower view of the working world which reflects how they conduct their hiring processes.

Interview Questions
    • All types of systems, UNIX, filesystems type question. One question in particular was "When you type www.google.com into a browser what happens?" I gave an answer of DNS resolving, first the client will see if it has an IP address cached for Google and if not contact one or more nameservers. I then went into detail about how DNS works and the various types of records and how the whole system has a hierarchy, zone transfers etc. At the end the interviewer asks "What really happens?" <sigh> Many times your interviewer will have very poor English skills and you will have to constantly ask them to repeat their questions - which does not look good for you.

Other questions ask about how a basic filesystem works with inodes and hard links vs soft links. For my last phone interview I was told it would be focused on computer networking and the interviewer only asked questions about filesystems - nothing about networking.

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter. They tried to set up a time to have my technical interviews. This took a while and I was scheduled for a month after I began talking to the recruiter. My interviews were 45 minutes long and I had 3 of them. After a week they emailed saying that I did not get the position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Got onsite interviews with 6 interviews, 45 mins each back to back. Had an hour lunch time with a 1-yr employee there who shared her experience working there and showing me the result she works on. The interviews themselves were all technical on whiteboard, not much of asking questions about your experience and ask what you like to do. It's all about showing off your technical skill and thought process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were standard CS related topics such as graph, algorithms (BFS,DFS, traveling salesman variation kind of question),system design (which is really an open ended interview).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

The process starts with a recruiter who asks basic technical objective questions. They are only looking for certain keywords. They ask 5-10 questions, and then a few "bonus" questions. If that goes well, then there is a fairly technical follow-up phone interview. Once you clear that, you're called onsite for 4-5 hours of interviews: 4-5 interviews of an hour or less.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked an interesting question. You have a sheaf of papers numbered sequentially, and one paper flies off. You are asked to determine, in best space/time complexity the page number of the paper that disappeared.   View Answer