Google

Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.5

171 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

My interview and hiring process was extremely tiring but satisfactory. I dropped out of college and cancelled my plans to study in an university because I wasn't learning anything there. I studied and mastered computer science alone at home within 2 months. Although I am just 19, I decided to apply for Google and I wouldn't care if I got rejected really. I applied online and quite suprisingly; they replied back the next day to set-up an phone interview. They asked a few question and then told me "Alright, we'll call you again next week." And when they did that the next week, they invited me for an on-site interview. I met some interesting people there, and most of them were amazed due to the fact that I dropped out of college but had the abilities and in-depth knowledge of a Harvard-graduate software engineer, also because I am just 19. Some guy named Paul came to me and asked me a brain-teasing question about algorithms and I gave him back a cheesy, but informative answer and he told me "You're probably going to get accepted."

During the on-site interview, they asked me long questions and gave me difficult tests/tasks on:
    1. Recursions
    2. Dynamic Programming
    3. Graphs
    4. Data Structures
    5. Problem-solving query test
    6. Array and Tree
    7. Computer architecture (binary search, low level enhancement...etc)

They gave me some stuff related to graphs and recursion to build over, it was mind-boggling like hell. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I like challenges, and Google managed to give me those....a LOT of those.

The interviewer's name was Caleb, and he said that I fulfill the criteria of a Google software engineer, and thus; they hired me immediately. Caleb was a fun person, I enjoyed being interviewed by him. He also said that I am the YOUNGEST software engineer in the history of Google, I felt really proud at that time. He gave me lots of compliments after the interview like "You're an exceptional person" - Google interviewers are extremely nice and respectful, you don't need to be nervous around them.

Interview Questions
    • You dropped out of college, and you're just 19. Do you think you can handle Google at this age?   View Answers (13)
    Tiring but satisfactory. I negotiated a $190,000 per-year salary and an $5k starter bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the next day for a non-technical phone interview. We then scheduled a technical interview for the next week then I was contacted and was asked to code in a live google document about technical questions

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Sent in resume various times but hadn't heard back from a recruiter till I was referred. I sent in resume and cover letter and within 10 days had an initial phone call.

No crazy out of the blue questions asked- more just seeing if I could answer questions articulately.

Next step they flew me to the office to interview- 3 interviews in 2 hours. Most questions were expected and relevant to the job - but if you're applying to the ads team make sure you do obviously some background research on the ads ecosystem.

Lastly, I heard back from them about 2 weeks later that I received the role, and then had 3 start dates to choose from.

Interview Questions
    • I was shown a chart and asked to pull out trends in the data   Answer Question
    As this was entry level negotiation wasn't a factor

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Actual questions asked on the interview:

1) Hypothetical: how would you ensure all candidates have a great customer service experience at Google?
    2) Hypothetical: what are Google’s top challenges in hiring?
    3) What are key points in an applicant tracking system
    4) How would you find a director of engineering in Kenya
    5) Company lays off 10% of workforce, how do you find the top 2%
    6) You are given 2 recruiters, how long would it take to source X amount of candidates?
    7) How do you go about sourcing
    8) You are trying to recruiter a passive candidate who has offers from Facebook and Twitter, how do you do it?

as much as this company prides itself on their screening process they are just as clueless as anyone when it comes to hiring. It's not a science. They hired 3 of the worst recruiters in our NYC office and passed on the #1 and #2 recruiter. The interview tests how well you can answer their questions. Oh and they never give a reason why they pass on you either. And it will take weeks and they will re-schedule on your more than once. Nice work Google, you nailed it.

Interview Questions
    • You are trying to recruiter a passive candidate who has offers from Facebook and Twitter, how do you do it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

I have two recruiters during the process. Both are nice, the interviewers are in general nice. Just take it as a collaboration effort to solve some interesting problems. I went through almost everything, somehow did not have the blessing from the final VP. The recruiter could not tell me why.

Interview Questions
    • Basic stuff: relatively practical problems use stack, queue, binary search. None expected.
      For example, maximum points on a line given a list of coordinates, 3 sum variants: a+b+c<target integer for a given unsorted into array, RPN. Some design questions, touched consistent hashing.

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

I had one interview at the New York office. I was given a tour of the building. I was asked about my background and interest in relocating internationally. The person who interviewed me seemed very tired due to extensive travel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

I applied through Google's online web form, and was very surprised to be contacted by a Google recruiter a couple of weeks later -- I had no contacts at the company, and applying via web forms usually doesn't work. After some short communications with the recruiter, I scheduled an on-site interview in New York City.

The best part of the Google interview process is that they tell you exactly what to expect. The recruiter sent me a list of topics and suggested study materials, and the interviews didn't have any questions that weren't covered in that list of topics. I spent about three weeks studying for the interview, and didn't have any surprises when I finally got there.

Google is very good about arranging transportation for the interviews. They covered all costs for me to fly to NYC and spend one night before my interview. Google paid for airfare and hotel directly, and reimbursement for meals and public transit was quick and easy.

After the in-person interviews, there were two stages of hiring committees. (I heard about this from my recruiter, but didn't have any contact with the committees beyond my on-site interviews.) During this time, I had phone interviews with several team leaders, trying to figure out where I would best fit. Part of this process was for the Google managers to decide if they wanted me, but it was at least as much for my benefit -- after several of these phone interviews, I picked the team which seemed to be the best fit for me.

Everyone was very friendly, and the entire interview process was smooth and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

The biggest reason I declined was that the job seemed too easy. I was looking for something that would challenge me more, and I wanted more room to devise solutions of my own, rather than coding up solutions from a different team in Mountain View. I decided to accept a job with another company as a Data Scientist, rather than the software engineer job with Google.

Another thing that bothered me -- I had contact with about 15 different software engineers at Google, and every single one was male (and most of the non-managers were very young). The lack of diversity was a problem for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

I applied and was contacted by a recruiter within 2 days. I was given a long checklist of things to review and told I would be given a phone interview in about 10 days. I prepared quite a bit, but there's only so much you can do. You have to be a little lucky with who you get and hope you both find the same topics important.

That said, I've been told the interview process at Google is a bit silly and I have to agree. It did not feel very kind, at least. My interviewer started with "Hi I'm an Engineer at Google and you have an interview schedule for this time. Is this still a good time? Okay good. Let's start with the following question: ". Very little small talk, straight into a coding question. Okay, no prob. Except I could hear him typing away on his keyboard the whole time. There was basically zero commentary while I was coding, and nothing to say about my "thinking out loud".

I completed the question, perhaps it took a bit longer than it should have, but it's an interview....nerves are gonna play a part. Anyway, I was definitely being scored on a timer. There is little doubt about that in my mind. If I wasn't given a timed score, then I lost points for there not being enough time to get around to other questions.

He did go through it line by line, and I fixed all the little mistakes (which of course never would have happened in an IDE) and wound up with some decent code. It wasn't the best thing in the world, but it was fast and it worked.
    After the weekend I was told they would be going with some more experienced candidates. So again, little doubt in my mind that my score was somehow lessened due to the amount of time I took on the problem. I didn't sit and do nothing, I just wrote out code, then replaced it with something cleaner or better. Moved some sloppy stuff into a new function, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Google asks that we do not share their questions, so I won't share the entire thing. I will however say that it was a common question (Think along the lines of reverse a string, calculate fib sequence, etc) with a little twist thrown in which should just cause you to hesitate and think a bit, even if you've seen the core of this problem before. It was by all means a fair question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

My resume was referred by a current employee. I got a call from a recruiter a couple weeks later and had a 10 minute conversation with her about the whole process, bit on my background, and what I'm looking for. She sent me an email with all of the content that is considered fair game for an interview. I asked for a month to study before the phone interview.

The phone interview was 45 minutes, with maybe 35 of it being technical questions and coding in a Google Doc. The recruiter called me later that day saying they wanted to bring me in for on-site interviews. I asked for them to be scheduled as soon as possible (already been studying, didn't want to forget anything). The on-site interviews were scheduled for almost 3 weeks later.

My round of interviews on-site wasn't as smooth as the recruiter claims they usually are. I was taken to a small conference that was to be my "home" for the day and the recruiter wrote the schedule of who and when on the white board. The first guy that showed up was not the one listed. Second guy was 15 minutes late. Last guy of the day turned out to be working at home and they had to substitute on the fly (15 minute delay again). Not really a big deal, but I think worth noting.

The interviews themselves were 45 minutes each, again about 35 - 40 minutes of which were technical questions and coding on the white board. All questions fell within the review content suggested by the email. One interview was more of a design/approach interview and np-complete did come up once. In general the questions were designed to be challenging, but solvable in the time-frame.

To study, I read Wikipedia pages and took notes for the topics mentioned in the email. I used a couple other materials for design and integration patterns. This worked as sufficient review for me.

My final comment is regarding how I think they determine level. I was out of undergrad for four years when I interviewed. My experience in the field is longer than that. The recruiter said for their purposes my level was "four years", which I think worked in my favor because they expected less.

Interview Questions
    • The design/approach interview was the hardest simply because it's far more open ended.   View Answer
    I chose not to negotiate as the offer was more than acceptable for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

One in person interviewer openly told me that he hates his job and that he would not recommend anyone work at Google...when he first walked into the room! He didn't even say hello, it was just the first thing he said! Overall after speaking with 6+ people only 2 introduced themselves or told me what teams they work on.
    My phone interviewer called 1.5 hours early and apologized for being 30 minutes late. He told me either get to a computer or the interview is off. He never introduced himself, he hung up during the call for 10 minutes while I coded and called back after I was done. He looked at my answer, asked a few questions for 10 minutes, and then just hung up without a goodbye- I never even got his name! Apparently he was happy with my answer though because I got a call back from a recruiter only 20 minutes later.
    My onsite timing was very poor. My first interviewer went on for over 1.5 hours The next interviewer was upset that he had to wait outside for over 45 minutes and not only didn't introduce himself, but was also happy to take his frustration out during the interview. He took his interview over in time, leaving me only 15 minutes until the cafeterias closed for lunch. Therefore we went to a smaller cafeteria which had nothing to drink but water. This would have been fine except after rushing through a meal and desperately needing caffeine (and bathroom) I was not in great shape for the next interview. The first 15 minutes were fine as I wrote 6 different tree algorithms for pre, post, and in order traversals in both iterative and recursive forms. The interviewer then asked me if I likes sudoku to which I replied that I didn't actually know the rules of how it worked. At that point he immediately ended the interview saying he wouldn't have time to explain it before asking his interview question. I was surprised that he didn't want to explain his interview question, but more surprised that he didn't have a backup question either. Since we were over an hour over schedule anyway the next person was already at the door and this is likely why he ended after only 15 minutes. I never got his name, team, or had an opportunity to ask a single question- which was also true for the next interviewer. He asked me a classical question that is common in universities. I already knew some of the possible answers and was upfront with him about this. He responded by taking the white board markers and saying he would like to discuss possible answers instead of coding them. After an hour of good discussion we had not written any code at all and he ended his interview. I assume that for the committee this probably did not reflect well since they like to see code. My system design question was interesting and went on for over 3 hours. The interviewer asked me "As a team lead- what do you do when an [expletive] pm is trying to make your team death march, saying he will just replace employees as they burn out." Having been through similar situations at Microsoft I was very good about handling this sort of thing in a way that is beneficial for all parties involved. I have to say that I was (and am still) surprised by the question though! By the end of my last interview the recruiter had left so I didn't say good bye to anyone. I was just escorted out.

Interview Questions
    • NDA prohibits me from sharing these, but of the 10 or so questions I was asked 6 of them were graphing algorithm related, and 2 of them were discrete math related.   Answer Question