Google

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – contacted by an employee whose team was looking to make a hire. submitted online application, contacted by recruiter, two screening phone calls, two in person interviews. had two employees make internal recommendations.

Interview Question – had to answer several questions on the company's stance on intricate and nascent policy issues.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had three interviews - one on the phone with a recruiter, and two with the staff at the small satellite office that I was applying for. Overall the interviews weren't difficult and were asking about personal connections and the best way of lobbying the government. However in one interview I as asked repeatedly about my use of Twitter (I don't have an account) - there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on promoting google publicly instead of working behind the scenes. I later found out that half of the employees in the office had got their jobs through making initial links on Twitter. My fault for thinking the job was quite different, and I knew I hadn't got it after all the Twitter chat, , but I was disappointed by the fact that the recruiter didn't call me for four months afterwards, saying 'I realised we never actually told you about the outcome'. Poor show by recruitment.

Interview Question – Who would be your main target in government when lobbying?   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – The entire process from sending in my application to finding out they had chosen the other candidate was 2 months, which from what I have heard, is extremely quick for Google. I submitted my resume through a friend that works for Google. She got her job when another friend working at Google submitted her resume. Moral of the story being that in order to get an interview, you should have someone inside the company submit your resume. At least I believe this is the case with non-engineering jobs at Google. My first interview was a phone interview with a legal recruiter in Mountain View, since the position was within the Legal and Public Policy department. This interview was relatively standard - asking questions about my background and experience and lasted 30 minutes.

Next I had an in-person interview with the hiring manager at the office I would be working in. I was told that this interview would be 30 minutes, but I figured from past interview experience it might be longer. I was wrong. The interview lasted exactly 30 minutes and I did not even have an opportunity to ask the hiring manager any questions. This was problematic for me later because I was unable to clarify the job function, which was very vague. I heard from the legal recruiter several days later asking for me to complete a specific research assignment. It was a 2-3 page assignment, very specific to the group I was interviewing with. I was told I did very well on this assignment and would be in the final round of interviews.

I returned to the office for 1 in-person interview, followed by 2 seperate video conference interviews. This experience was new to me and I found it very impersonal and strange. It was difficult to have a conversation when there is video lag time. Each of the interviewers asked a lot of hypothetical questions that related to the specific job function.

Although the overall process was positive, I was somewhat put off by the fact that I felt like I had very little time to 'interview' them. I understand that Google is a high demand organization for jobseekers, but I wish I had been able to get a better feel for the group I would have been working in and the structure of the department. Each interviewer seemed to have a differenty understanding of the role I would be performing and when I mentioned this to the last interviewer, he seemed slightly offended. However, I had not received a clear answer from any of the interviews, nor had I been able to ask that question. The process was very time-intensive, but overall an good experience.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years? (followed by the interviewer complaining about how he hated asking that question)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Policy Analyst interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.