Google

Getting the Interview

126 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Recruiting was professional, and most of the interviewers were asking questions that were good at delving into one's competencies. Unfortunately, All it takes is to have one bad interviewer to screw up your job prospect.

Interview Question – How would you design a dictionary lookup for Scrabble?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter through LinkedIn. Phone screen scheduled with recruiter about a week later where we covered my work history, and discussed particular areas of Google that might be of interest. Scheduled a phone interview that occurred about 2 weeks later. During phone interview we covered my background and work history, then was asked two questions. First was estimating, second was brainstorming for NPD.

Interview Question – Estimate the required bandwidth for a college campus.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was introduced to a few positions through a friend that works at Google. Was contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer called a few minutes late and we started the interview right away. He was a PM from China, working at Google for 4 years already. He asked me what Google three google products do i like. When i said one of them was gmail, he asked me to say what i like about it. Then, when i said the free aspect and the large storage amount, he asked me how can i estimate the amount of gmail users in the world. Further questions were on which features would i add to gmail.

Interview Question – Nothing much, they just want to see how your way of thinking is   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – A Google recruiter contacted me and said I had the type of background they look for in a product manager. I wasn't looking for a job at the time, but decided to go through the interview process and find out more about Google. Overall, the whole process was really enjoyable. The recruiter was very good and helpful (notably better than recruiters at other companies). I had a phone interview with a product manager, which was challenging and I enjoyed. The questions were about estimation and I was challenged to think about it in some different ways. In the end, I didn't get invited to an on-site interview, but that was fine. It was a good experience.

The process certainly was not fast. Some candidates may not like it because Google doesn't move very quickly. For me it was fine because I wasn't looking for another position at the moment.

Interview Question – Questions about estimation and how to approach estimations in different ways (for example: technical, economic, financial, etc.)   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – This review is in regards to my second phone interview for the product manager position. I uploaded my review for the first phone interview on March 19, 2014 if you would like to see that one as well.

I was contacted by the recruiter saying my first interviewer thought I would be good for the role, but was unable to determine my level of product creativity. So we set up a second interview with another PM. It was not your typical Google interview. He only asked me two questions.

1. Tell me about a product/project you managed that you feel most represents your skill set as a PM.

2. If you were to come on as a PM at Google what would your process be for determining what lies ahead and needs to be accomplished (My answer focused on acquiring insights from my engineering team, having discussion with subject matter experts, and using Google's extensive amount of data to create actionable metrics).

I've been invited to Mountain View for the in person interviews in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted on how those interviews are.

Interview Question – He led off the interview by asking me what questions I had for him. I was caught slightly off guard as I was expecting to be put through ringer. In my previous interview there had only been time for two of my questions, so I didn't have that many prepared. In this particular interview about 30-40 minutes of the hour long interview was devoted to questions I had for him, so I had to come up with a lot of them on the fly. I believe he was also assessing my Product Management knowledge based upon the kinds of questions I was asking.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – First I had a quick HR interview and then a phone interview was setup with a product manager. The interviewer asked me to explain how I will go about building a video editing software for blind people. I thought my technical and creative thinking aspects were right on.

However, I messed up on some market sizing calculations, very basic percentages. I am startled at myself for that silly mistake that just got me off track. I had done these kinds of problems so very well in GMATs and GREs but messed up here, can't believe myself.

Anyway, apart from that, I thought the interview went well. I also did pretty good on coming up with ideas for business models for this video editing software. I was happy about my overall performance but kicked myself for the math calculation error. I didn't expect that this mistake and some confusion around it would cause me the job! In hindsight, I am not even sure if the interviewer was expecting me to challenge the product idea and ask questions about why would someone want to build such product with limited addressable market etc.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred for the position from someone inside Google and received an email from a Google recruiter. After 15 minutes of chit chat about my resume and interests, he told me he would email me if I was to have an interview with a product manager. It was obvious to me that I was going to have one by the way he spoke and 2 minutes later I received an email from him asking me for interview times.
A week later I had the phone interview.
The interviewer was very sweet and friendly and she obviously had a lot of experience as she had been at Google for I think 4 years. She asked me about myself, so I gave her my resume pitch. She then asked me if I wanted to talk hardware or software. I said software. She asked me about an internet / software service that I used and liked OTHER THAN GOOGLE OR A GOOGLE PRODUCT. I said Netflix. Questions asked -
What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?
What is their business model?
How can Netflix change its product without causing an uproar?
How can Netflix change its pricing without causing an uproar?

She then asked me about a piece of hardware that I liked to use and to explain why I liked it.

I talked about my bicycle.

Interview Question – What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They wanted me to fly to Mountain View for the onsite interview, however I received a raise at my company and decided to stay

Product Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Standard Process. A phone screen by recruiter followed by phone screen with a couple of product managers. After that got an invite to come onsite. Had 5 gruelling interviews ( 3 PMs, 1 behavioral with a Director of PM, 1 engineer ). They get you to lunch with one of the PMs and the lunch is fairly casual which gives you a glimpse of the famous 'free google food' Those candidates will succeed who practice and stick to an enterpreneurial mindset day in and day out. Its not something that you practice, prepare and acquire overnight or even in a few months. This was my second shot, I felt optimistic but unfortunately i did not make it.

Questions :

1) concept to design - how would you build X for Y kind of people?

2) Strategic - what would you do if u were the CEO of X?What is the next big thing that you would design for XYZ company?

3) Sizing/estimation/consulting case type questions - if you build xyz product what is the market size like and how much? key here is to make assumptions, think details and incorporate them..

4) Puzzles - i got a couple of them....imagine u are on an island and....or u hav a billion numbers and...

5) behavioral - i did not encounter them when i interviewed at google a few years back...seems like Google is changing its approach towards a more rounded up interview process

6) engineering/CS - this does require a solid CS Foundation...didn't help that it came towards the end of a long and tiring day...last time around i also got Big( O ) estimation problems thrown at me..

Tips:

1. Use the whiteboard to articulate and frame your thoughts and go through the problem solving process...what you should be thinking of is to come up with a framework for the answer instead of jumping rightaway to a nice well rounded andswer..google wants to see your framework not your final answer....
also my big takeaway from the interview (even though i didnt get the job) was this framework building process could be used beyond this interview even in my day to day work with great results

2. Have a 'recursive approach' - which means when given a problem with which you are absolutely stumped, try to think of the simplest 'base' case...scale it slightly...observe the pattern and come up with an insight...if you have 7 bullets in a gun kinda problem try to think of it in terms of 1-2 bullets in a gun scale...figure out the pattern for the smaller problem and that is the key to the larger problem as well...

3. be creative, think about the status qou and whats wrong and what you would like to change..whether its google's products or a competitors...

4. Keep your calm...this is the most most important of all...remember to simply slow down since your heart rate will be 2x the normal...

At all times, Google's followup was very professional...u will learn of how you fared in 1 or 2 weeks and the recruiter was exceptionally considerate in reaching out to me at intervals and letting me know where the process was...a far cry from some of the other behemoths in the valley who do not even bother to acknowledge your onsite visit to them....

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Referred by friend. Got a phone interview fairly quickly, less than a week.

Interview Question – Why Google?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted via linkedin. Phone interview scheduled, then onsite the next week.

Questions:
Phone interview
1. You want to provide internet access to 90% of the population of Africa - How would you do it?
2. You want to design a phone for deaf people - how do you do it?

Onsite:
5 interviews + lunch.
5 Interviews - 3 PMs, 1 Director, 1 Engineer

PMs + Director - Design/thinking areas probed.
1. Design an alarm clock.
2. 100 floors in a building - 3 main occupants - top 10 floors (company 1), next 90 floors evenly split, top 45 company2, bottom 45, company 3. Design the elevator system.
3. 8% drop in hits to Google.com. Larry Page walks into your office asks you to think about what the reasons might be. Enumerate.
4. Tell me about the most difficult interaction you had at work.
5. Name a non-Google product you've recently used - what do you think of it, how could it be improved. What if a feature you designed and managed is deemed to have poor ROI - defend it and the analysis of the data that is presented to you.
6. How many reviews are written in a month on yelp.com. You have no data and no access to any data. Estimate.
7. Design a car for blind people. Enumerate the use cases. Prioritize them. Justify everything with sound logic.

Engineer:
Design a simple load balancer for google.com. What data structures would you use? Why? Define access/delete/add complexity (Order of) for each data structure and explain your choices. Design an algorithm to add/delete nodes to/from the data structure. How would you pick which server to send a request to? Why? Why not?

Design the Google search service - essential pieces, logic, discuss why/why not/tradeoffs.

Lunch: Very friendly PM, had joined Google 2 months earlier. Had 10+ years experience.

Overall a pleasant and challenging experience. Was told by recruiter that they'd be in touch within a few days. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – 4. Tell me about the most difficult interaction you had at work.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 126 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.