Google Product Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

132 interviews

3.3

132 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

Phone Screen for Google Product Manager -

The questions were:
* Why Google?
* Tell me about the most exciting project you've worked on in the past, and why it was the most exciting for you.
* Design scenario: The alarm clock industry is really waning as of late. What could you do to curb this trend?

Interview Questions
  • Design scenario: Let's say you have a tv remote with 3 buttons, mute, vol up, vol down. What would you expect to happen if a user hits vol up button when its muted? Talk through the scenarios and what the user is trying to do. What would you expect to happen if you hit vol down button when it's muted?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Google.

First step is a phone interview with a random person (who in this case was using some type of video conferencing system with a lot of echo that disconnected a couple of times.) Questions: 0) Tell us about yourself; 1) What is the total bandwidth used by a gmail server?; 2) Discuss a non-technical product you've used. What did you like about it? What would you improve? 3) The bounce rate on youtube videos is too high. how would you improve it?

The overall feedback was very limited: good technical solutions, not enough focus on the user.

Product Manager Interview

I had a 30 min screening interview over the phone, followed by half a day of on site interviews at the Googleplex in Mountain View. Some of these were in person, while others were over video conference

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

I first spoke with the recruiter, who then referred me to a phone interview. The phone interview went well, so I was invited to in person interviews. Those appeared to go well as well, but not as well as I would have liked, because they said I needed another phone interview. That last phone interview did not go well, and I was not given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is a traffic cone good for other than regular traffic stuff?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Standard Process. A phone screen by recruiter followed by phone screen with a couple of product managers. After that got an invite to come onsite. Had 5 gruelling interviews ( 3 PMs, 1 behavioral with a Director of PM, 1 engineer ). They get you to lunch with one of the PMs and the lunch is fairly casual which gives you a glimpse of the famous 'free google food' Those candidates will succeed who practice and stick to an enterpreneurial mindset day in and day out. Its not something that you practice, prepare and acquire overnight or even in a few months. This was my second shot, I felt optimistic but unfortunately i did not make it.

Questions :

1) concept to design - how would you build X for Y kind of people?

2) Strategic - what would you do if u were the CEO of X?What is the next big thing that you would design for XYZ company?

3) Sizing/estimation/consulting case type questions - if you build xyz product what is the market size like and how much? key here is to make assumptions, think details and incorporate them..

4) Puzzles - i got a couple of them....imagine u are on an island and....or u hav a billion numbers and...

5) behavioral - i did not encounter them when i interviewed at google a few years back...seems like Google is changing its approach towards a more rounded up interview process

6) engineering/CS - this does require a solid CS Foundation...didn't help that it came towards the end of a long and tiring day...last time around i also got Big( O ) estimation problems thrown at me..

Tips:

1. Use the whiteboard to articulate and frame your thoughts and go through the problem solving process...what you should be thinking of is to come up with a framework for the answer instead of jumping rightaway to a nice well rounded andswer..google wants to see your framework not your final answer....
    also my big takeaway from the interview (even though i didnt get the job) was this framework building process could be used beyond this interview even in my day to day work with great results

2. Have a 'recursive approach' - which means when given a problem with which you are absolutely stumped, try to think of the simplest 'base' case...scale it slightly...observe the pattern and come up with an insight...if you have 7 bullets in a gun kinda problem try to think of it in terms of 1-2 bullets in a gun scale...figure out the pattern for the smaller problem and that is the key to the larger problem as well...

3. be creative, think about the status qou and whats wrong and what you would like to change..whether its google's products or a competitors...

4. Keep your calm...this is the most most important of all...remember to simply slow down since your heart rate will be 2x the normal...

At all times, Google's followup was very professional...u will learn of how you fared in 1 or 2 weeks and the recruiter was exceptionally considerate in reaching out to me at intervals and letting me know where the process was...a far cry from some of the other behemoths in the valley who do not even bother to acknowledge your onsite visit to them....

Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

One guy was literally yawning all the time at around 11AM, which is very unprofessional. I was like, dude, doesn't Google serve coffee or sth?

I won't share specific interviews questions (I don't think they actually help much), but I will share some of my observations (which may not be 100% true):
    1) Google seems to maintain a pool of interview questions. I was asked 2 of the same questions listed on glassdoor. But sometimes the interviewer just make up questions on the fly.
    2) On-site consists of 5 rounds, 3 peer PMs + 1 PM director + 1 engineer, you'll have lunch w/ a lunch buddy after the first 3 peer PMs (food is actually so so). Meanwhile, your recruiter will gather quick feedback and make a snap judgement about whether to proceed w/ the PM director and engineer. If you don't make it to the after-lunch session, it is a ding for sure.
    3) You need at least one 'strong hire' recommendation from the 5 rounds. It is not unusual for someone to get 5 'hire' recommendation but get dinged. So try very hard to really impress one interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Design app stuff. I was killed by 2 of those questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Google in May 2013.

I initially applied online for an interview for a product manager position. my profile later got selected and I was asked to provide time for 2 phone interviews with senior. the process later included an onsite interview with a group panel.

Interview Questions
    • Come up with a new product idea that is suitable and doable by google.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Recruiting was professional, and most of the interviewers were asking questions that were good at delving into one's competencies. Unfortunately, All it takes is to have one bad interviewer to screw up your job prospect.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a dictionary lookup for Scrabble?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Contacted by recruiter through LinkedIn. Phone screen scheduled with recruiter about a week later where we covered my work history, and discussed particular areas of Google that might be of interest. Scheduled a phone interview that occurred about 2 weeks later. During phone interview we covered my background and work history, then was asked two questions. First was estimating, second was brainstorming for NPD.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Was introduced to a few positions through a friend that works at Google. Was contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer called a few minutes late and we started the interview right away. He was a PM from China, working at Google for 4 years already. He asked me what Google three google products do i like. When i said one of them was gmail, he asked me to say what i like about it. Then, when i said the free aspect and the large storage amount, he asked me how can i estimate the amount of gmail users in the world. Further questions were on which features would i add to gmail.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing much, they just want to see how your way of thinking is   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!