Google

Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.3

143 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I had a recruiter contact so applied directly. The entire process took 3 months.

Round1: HR
Questions: Why Google, what do you bring to the table etc. Most people clear this. Honestly if you did not or cannot then consider another career

Round2: Phone screen with a Senior Product Manager
Very professional, punctual and courteous
Questions: Resume review, projects, product I like and what I will change about it

Round3: Onsite
Interviewer 1 (I-1): Seasoned PM
Questions: Took one project on my resume and discussed it for 45 minutes. Standard PM framework approach to answering questions

I-2: Seasoned GPM from YouTube
Questions: Market sizing, opportunity assessment, why Google, how will you improve product X

I-3 Junior PM in Search and was previously at Microsoft
Questions: Annoying as hell and the only value add was he/she corrected me that it's Orange is the new black. I said Orange is the new Red. Mid 20's, annoying and arrogant as hell. We discussed about Netflix model and what can be improved. He/She just kept on saying.. What else.. what else.. what else... I think he/she said that at least 30 times.

I-4: Seasoned GPM
Questions: None as it was lunch interview. General talk about soccer world cup, etc. Guy was jaded and I think waiting for his stocks to vest. Overall nothing much to report here

I-5: HR
I thought I was done but she asked me to stay back. Hopes up... LOL

I-6: Seasoned PM from Identity Management team
Questions: SSO, OAuth, improving checkout etc. Nothing crazy

I-7: Engineer from YouTube
Questions: Professional and very very nice. Asked me to design a load balancer using data structures. I told him I can write in VB or SQL. He said does not care about language. Wants to see how I use data structures

I-8: Junior PM from Google+
Questions: Mostly around improve X, improve Y. What non tech product I like? I told I love my Canon Mark III. Discussed it to death and since I know it in an out it was easy to talk about what I would love to change in it

Overall, if you know frameworks you are good to go. They don't asking anything earth shattering.

HR called in a week and said team loved you.. no questions there but felt that you would be a better fit elsewhere. I was offered a position in Google Tech Services as a Senior Manager. I am a Senior PM in a top company in the Bay area. It did not make sense for me to move into a Tech role. I declined and moved on.

In hindsight I thank Google for saying no to me. I'm nearing 40. It does not make sense for me to hang out with 20 year olds PM's. There is only so much I have in common with them. I'm more of a PBS kind of guy. Orange could be the new Blue for all I care.

Interview Questions
  • I have been a PM for over 5 years and in marketing and management consulting all my career. Nothing was unexpected. Irksome? yes. But then again I said to myself, a decade ago I was as arrogant as that 20+ kid.   Answer Question

Not a PM position but a position in Google Tech Services

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Phone Screen for Google Product Manager -

The questions were:
    * Why Google?
    * Tell me about the most exciting project you've worked on in the past, and why it was the most exciting for you.
    * Design scenario: The alarm clock industry is really waning as of late. What could you do to curb this trend?

Interview Questions
    • Design scenario: Let's say you have a tv remote with 3 buttons, mute, vol up, vol down. What would you expect to happen if a user hits vol up button when its muted? Talk through the scenarios and what the user is trying to do. What would you expect to happen if you hit vol down button when it's muted?   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Google gets as many as 75,000 resumes a week. Obviously, it is highly unlikely that Google HR has enough time and staff to actually look at every resume; after all they are a search company. In me experience, being recommended for a position by a Google employee (a "Googler") is critical to getting a person in HR to look at your resume. After submitting several resumes online, I was recommended by a Googler. I was contacted by Google HR within 24 hours.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

I was contacted by a recruiter a couple of days after I created a LinkedIn profile. After speaking to the recruiter, I did a phone interview. I've been told that some people have to do more than one phone interview but after the one phone interview, I was invited to the onsite interview which is pretty much as discussed by others on this site. I feel that most of my interviews went well but I could see where I went wrong in a few of them. I did not get an offer and the feedback was that while everyone liked me, they felt some of my answers were not creative enough. I assume that they must have liked me in some capacity because I have since been contacted regarding other more technical positions where creativity was not as much of a consideration.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were much as everyone noted. I think I failed in not taking "What new features would you add to..." questions far enough. I think the main thing to remember when answering the questions is to not answer for yourself but for the customer. So while you may say, "This bothers me, I would change...", a better answer would be to say "From reading the comments on the app, I see that X bothers a lot of people and I would do Y to fix it."   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Was called by HR for a phone screen and discussed basic functions and roles of the position. Was referred by a Googler in the department and expected a call back. After the initial call I didn't hear back again.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Friend submitted my resume. Recruiter got in touch to set up a phone interview after a day. Had the first interview a couple weeks later. Had to ask for an update before I knew they wanted me to go through another phone interview a week after the first one. Had a second phone interview. Waited about 10 days, then reached out for feedback. Recruiter called me right away to let me know we were not moving forward.
    Recruiter explained that in their experience, Product Mangers with a lot of business savvy, but without a technology background (which was very clearly not in my resume) don't last very long (more than two years) at Google. Her explanation for thinking I might be a good fit originally was with the hope that I had self-taught some technical/computer science skills. ...This all flies in the face of having asked this question of the first interviewer whose response was, "We don't need engineers for this role. Use what you're good at." The second interviewer was a computer science guy turned product person and arrogantly asked, "How do you expect to work with the top 1% of computer science engineers in the WORLD without any computer science background?" Left a very bad taste in my mouth. The recruiter thought I would be a good fit in other roles at Google and asked me to let her know what else I was interested in. I won't be applying again.
    Yet another talented woman filtered out of Google.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Super professional recruiters and interviewers. Interview was done by peer but could tell that I was on speakerphone and being interviewed by a committee. Very interesting questions in that they wanted to know who you are as a person.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

First step is a phone interview with a random person (who in this case was using some type of video conferencing system with a lot of echo that disconnected a couple of times.) Questions: 0) Tell us about yourself; 1) What is the total bandwidth used by a gmail server?; 2) Discuss a non-technical product you've used. What did you like about it? What would you improve? 3) The bounce rate on youtube videos is too high. how would you improve it?

The overall feedback was very limited: good technical solutions, not enough focus on the user.

Interview Questions
    • None of these questions are difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I had a 30 min screening interview over the phone, followed by half a day of on site interviews at the Googleplex in Mountain View. Some of these were in person, while others were over video conference

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

One guy was literally yawning all the time at around 11AM, which is very unprofessional. I was like, dude, doesn't Google serve coffee or sth?

I won't share specific interviews questions (I don't think they actually help much), but I will share some of my observations (which may not be 100% true):
    1) Google seems to maintain a pool of interview questions. I was asked 2 of the same questions listed on glassdoor. But sometimes the interviewer just make up questions on the fly.
    2) On-site consists of 5 rounds, 3 peer PMs + 1 PM director + 1 engineer, you'll have lunch w/ a lunch buddy after the first 3 peer PMs (food is actually so so). Meanwhile, your recruiter will gather quick feedback and make a snap judgement about whether to proceed w/ the PM director and engineer. If you don't make it to the after-lunch session, it is a ding for sure.
    3) You need at least one 'strong hire' recommendation from the 5 rounds. It is not unusual for someone to get 5 'hire' recommendation but get dinged. So try very hard to really impress one interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Design app stuff. I was killed by 2 of those questions.   View Answer