Google

Updated Aug 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
131 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Hyderābād (India)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online for Product Mgr role in the Hyderabad office and 3 weeks or so later got an email from HR., by when I returned to the US. The HR person got the interview date mixed up so I received a call a day earlier than expected. I mentioned to the interview about the mix up and he was polite and rescheduled it for the correct day. Next day, a different person called (this time from India), he was on a speaker phone typing away on his PC while I was talking and the line just wasn't clear.

Overall, good thought provoking questions and although I felt my answers were good, didn;t make it.

Interview Questions

• If you host a celebrity website which displays ads and suddenly notice a drop in traffic to your site/clicks on ads, how do you root cause the issue?   View Answers (3)
  • How would you estimate the number of seniors in India who use gmail?   View Answers (2)
  • What happens from the point when you type in a URL in your browser to the point the page gets displayed?   View Answer
  • If you were appointed the product manager, what would be your top 3 priorities?   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied and was contacted by a recruiter via email about 4 weeks later. I had two phone interviews, both consisted of problem solving questions. Don't prepare for the whole "Tell me about yourself" question because they don't bother to ask. Both times the interviewer jumped right into the questions. I actually thought that my second interview went very well - much better than my first, but I didn't get past this round. I'll get them next time.

Interview Question – Estimate how much it would cost to put wifi in San Fran.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in June 2012.

Interview Details – After a 30 minute phone screen I was asked to do an interview.
Despite interviewing for a job in Canada the interview was done in Mountain View.

I had 5 interviews. The first 3 with other PM's, then one with a Dev, and one with a PM manager.

Most questions were product related (Lets design an X, who would you improve product Y).There were a few questions designed to measure mental horsepower (Estimation, Puzzles).

The key with the interview is that you have to get a few people to really strongly support your candidacy. If everyone thinks you would be a fine hire but none of them would fight for you ,you wont get it. So do what you can to make a strong impression.

If you didn't do well you will get a quick no. Otherwise you will go to a hiring committee which can take up to two weeks. If they say yes, you probably have the job, but they have an additional 2 weeks of referencing checking and executive review before you'll get an offer.

Interview Question – How many hotels are their in the US   View Answers (2)

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2012.

Interview Details – First line recruiter is very helpful and candid about the process. He also followed up with me closely. The best recruiter I've ever met. However, the recruiter who took over the on-campus interview process was typical. Slow, non-responsive, but was courteous when we met in person on the interview day.

Interview Question – Asked me how I monetized a mobile app which I had supervised. Kept digging on this issue even though I've plainly stated that I couldn't figure out an effective way to monetize a socialization-based mobile app. The flow of the interview got to a snail's pace.   View Answers (4)

Product Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Contacted me by email to schedule a phone interview. The interview on the phone lasted roughly 45 minutes and consisted of typical questions about interview, and then some 'estimation' problems.

Interview Question – The CEO of Apple and you are in a room and all you have is a white board. He wants to know roughly what the company's annual revenue in IOS sales is globally.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2010.

Interview Details – Had a developer friend inside refer me. Received an email from an internal recruiter about a week later to set up an initial interview by phone. In the phone interview, I was asked a couple short background questions and we jumped directly into analyzing a Google product of my choice. I chose GMail, and proceeded to discuss what I like and dislike about the product, and ways I thought it could be improved.

I received a follow-up email a few days later expressing interest in scheduling on-site interviews. We worked out a date for two weeks later. The on-site interviews included 2 product managers, a VP-level product director, and a developer.

The product manager interviews largely followed the pattern of the initial phone interview. Very little if any time was spent discussing my background, interests, and skillset. One PM began the interview by introducing himself by name and immediately asking, "What's the best idea for a product you have?" I'm a very forward, extroverted person, but the interview style of these 2 PMs was very off-putting. The senior director was a much better interview, including a real-life PM scenario about scoping and analyzing a proposed new feature instead of 30 minutes of fantasy product analysis.

The developer interview, which was last, included one broad technology question that was meant to probe for my knowledge of Internet infrastructure and speed constraints, and a programming problem that I bombed.

I heard back within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Given a set of 2D coordinates for the 4 corners of each building in a city skyline (as if in a photograph), how would you determine the outline of the silhouette of all buildings, where buildings may or may not overlap?   View Answers (4)

Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed at Google in January 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by two onsite. Whole process took 10 months end to end.

Interview Question – * How would you find a snippet of text in a webpage. Code it in any language you like.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in September 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through a friend who works at Google. I was contacted by the recruiter the very next day. The recruiter was very informative and detailed the entire interview process. They also give you questions to prep in advance.

Interview Question – For a PM position, Google wants to understand your thought process. Even though the questions were very general, I felt they asked me a lot of technical questions (i.e. algorithms)   Answer Question

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First round phone call. Applied directly on the website and got an acquaintance to refer me. The person is a sr recruiting manager at Google. So I guess that's why I heard back quick. At least from what Ive heard, once you are in the system, Google archives details about you. If you choose to apply a second time your chances increase tremendously. There have also been instances where Google rejected an applicant initially and then called back a couple of years later to interview them again for a position.

Interview Question – What would be an innovative idea for a vending machine - something that hasnt been done so far.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2012.

Interview Details – Google uses a unique interview system where candidates interview for a job, not a specific role and are assigned to random employees of the same roll. These interviews run from a script provided by hr.

Interview Question – The fact you are not interviewing for a specific role or with someone will work with makes these interviews very unproductive in my opinion. Questions are theoretical, attempting to gauge the intelligence of a candidate without a specific goal. I found this much less effective at judging a candidates match than a traditional interview.

I was asked what my favorite product was,
  View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!