Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.3

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google (Hyderābād (India)) in January 2010.

Interview

Applied online for Product Mgr role in the Hyderabad office and 3 weeks or so later got an email from HR., by when I returned to the US. The HR person got the interview date mixed up so I received a call a day earlier than expected. I mentioned to the interview about the mix up and he was polite and rescheduled it for the correct day. Next day, a different person called (this time from India), he was on a speaker phone typing away on his PC while I was talking and the line just wasn't clear. Overall, good thought provoking questions and although I felt my answers were good, didn;t make it.

Interview Questions

• If you host a celebrity website which displays ads and suddenly notice a drop in traffic to your site/clicks on ads, how do you root cause the issue?   4 Answers
  • How would you estimate the number of seniors in India who use gmail?   2 Answers
  • What happens from the point when you type in a URL in your browser to the point the page gets displayed?   1 Answer
  • If you were appointed the product manager, what would be your top 3 priorities?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied and was contacted by a recruiter via email about 4 weeks later. I had two phone interviews, both consisted of problem solving questions. Don't prepare for the whole "Tell me about yourself" question because they don't bother to ask. Both times the interviewer jumped right into the questions. I actually thought that my second interview went very well - much better than my first, but I didn't get past this round. I'll get them next time.

Interview Questions

• Estimate how much it would cost to put wifi in San Fran.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

After a 30 minute phone screen I was asked to do an interview. Despite interviewing for a job in Canada the interview was done in Mountain View. I had 5 interviews. The first 3 with other PM's, then one with a Dev, and one with a PM manager. Most questions were product related (Lets design an X, who would you improve product Y).There were a few questions designed to measure mental horsepower (Estimation, Puzzles). The key with the interview is that you have to get a few people to really strongly support your candidacy. If everyone thinks you would be a fine hire but none of them would fight for you ,you wont get it. So do what you can to make a strong impression. If you didn't do well you will get a quick no. Otherwise you will go to a hiring committee which can take up to two weeks. If they say yes, you probably have the job, but they have an additional 2 weeks of referencing checking and executive review before you'll get an offer.

Interview Questions

• How many hotels are their in the US   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

First line recruiter is very helpful and candid about the process. He also followed up with me closely. The best recruiter I've ever met. However, the recruiter who took over the on-campus interview process was typical. Slow, non-responsive, but was courteous when we met in person on the interview day.

Interview Questions

• Asked me how I monetized a mobile app which I had supervised. Kept digging on this issue even though I've plainly stated that I couldn't figure out an effective way to monetize a socialization-based mobile app. The flow of the interview got to a snail's pace.   4 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Interview

My interview process started with a friend of mine referring me internally. I initially had a phone screen with the recruiter that went very well. I was almost immediately invited to come into the office for a all-day interview day. On my interview day I was interviewed by 4 PMs. There was also an interview with a PM Director that was relatively a short interview. I thought I did fairly well but wasn't sure if I did well enough. My recruiter emailed me 1.5 weeks later to let me know that all had gone well and they would be submitting me to the Hiring Committee. I was super excited and looking forward to the green light. Alas- the hiring committee over-rode the feedback and gave me thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected. The type of questions are very well covered here: Expect a Why Google, or why PM, what products you like, why/why not. You will be expected to do estimation questions as well as case study questions. This is an absolute given.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Internal recruiter had reached out to me directly via LinkedIn. I found all of the background material forwarded to me by the recruiter (interview tips, working at Google, etc.) extremely helpful. The conducting of the interview met the expectations set in the prep material so definitely recommend that candidates go through it thoroughly. Phone interview was performed with an existing Product Manager.

Interview Questions

• Take a grocery app - what would be the features you would suggest?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out through LinkedIn. Was easy to work with and helped set me up with a phone screen. Phone screen was a short product design question about how I would design an app for my favorite sports team (I had the choice between this and another question not related to sports). After passing the phone screen got passed to a new recruiter who helps with the rest of the process. Was brought on site for a day of being interviewed by 4 different PMs and 1 SWE. Mostly standard PM questions around product design and metrics. SWE had two parts: implementing a fibonacci algorithm, first naively and them optimizing (iterative vs. recursive, memoizing, etc...) and the a systems design question around implementing Google Instant. I thought the interviews went well, but the still couldn't decide so they brought me in again for a second round of onsites. This time I only met with senior two people, a high-level SWE (had been at Google for 9 years) and a Director of PM. These went well and my final package was approved by the hiring committee about two weeks after the second round. Throughout the interviews there were no brainteasers or estimation questions. The closest thing was the ladder question I included below, which is really more of a CS/algorithms question. Overall the process took much longer than expected, about 3 months from initial contact to offer. Google feels big and it is big. I also interviewed at Twitter and Facebook and the size differences jump up an order of magnitude for each step (Twitter -> FB -> Google). It also noticeably feels like an older company, i.e. interviewing with people who have been at Google since before FB or Twitter were founded. This isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

Interview Questions

• You have a ladder of N steps (rungs). You can go up the ladder by taking either 1 step or two steps at a time, in any combination. How many different routes are there (combinations of 1 steps or 2 steps) to make it up the ladder?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I break down to 4 parts . 1. Car , 2 . Household , 3. Transportation , 4 others. Interviewer replied me to focus on Car only. I use USA population to answer this questions. Divided into Commercial car and non-Commercial car, then calculate the number. Finally, Interview ask me how do I think my estimation , is that too high or too low. I replied too low , because car sometime also needs to do maintenance and etc. He said ok .

Interview Questions

• 1. How much money spent in USA per year on GAS   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume through some contacts of his; I'm not sure about the exact details here. I got an email from a recruiter who asked if I would like to apply for the Product Manager position. I said yes, I would love to. Another recruiter then contacted me to set up a phone interview with a Product Manager for around two weeks later. This interview had a few basic questions, then centered around a theoretical problem: imagine that you are the manager of [one of Google's largest products], and that you're thinking about doing [major change to the business model of the product]. How would you think about that? What would you do? (I'm omitting the details of the question in order to respect the confidentiality of their interview process. The very same day the original recruiter told me I passed and asked for my availability over the next three weeks to come in for a full day of on-site interviews. The next day I received an email from yet another recruiter confirming that I would have my interviews on one of the days I had sent, with detailed instructions on time, location, etc. This had NDAs and a formal job application to fill out. As it turned out the interview process required only 4.5 hours on site, including lunch, but I kept the whole day blocked off as I had heard rumors (here?) that some people were asked to stay later than their scheduled end time in order to have additional interviews, if the feedback was ambiguous. On the day of the interviews, my train in was delayed and I was ~10 minutes late for my first one. I'm not sure if that was counted against me, but it did throw me off a bit. I believe that over the course of the day I interviewed with four product managers and one software engineer, in addition to a "non-evaluatory" lunch with another product manager in one of the cafes. I thought I had good rapport with two of the product managers, although it was hard to tell, as they were trying hard to push me with their questions. The big questions I got were: First interview: Product Manager What are all the products you used since you got up this morning? Pick one you like and describe why. Pick one you don't like, describe why, and how would you improve it. Second Interview: Product Manager Tell me about yourself. How big is the [xyz] market? What are some technology trends you are following? Third Interview: Product Manager How would you improve [Google product]? Is [Google product] important (to Google)? Why? How from a product perspective, would you get more people to use it? What features would you add? Fourth Interview: Product Manager Tell me about yourself. What is a product manager? How would you handle a situation in which someone senior to you disagrees with your product decision? (came out of something I said about how sometimes you mold user research into a product, and sometimes you're not able to) Tell me about a product that you created that you're proud of. Imagine that you are a PM at a big software company, and you are assigned to build [a business process] software for [a small business vertical]. How would you measure success? How would you build the product? What would you say to the engineering team? How would you iterate? Fifth Interview: Software Engineer Some technical questions about web-based collaboration software. A simple code sample that I had to read and then say what it did. What's wrong with the code sample? Assume that you put the [code sample app] up on the web, and it became really popular. What are some optimizations you could do to speed up response times under load?

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you are a PM at [big software company], and you are assigned to build [business process] software for [small business vertical]. How would you measure success?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Got referred by a "Googler". Initially rebuffed by recruiter due to lack of a CS degree. Said Googler ensured that I had software development experience. Recruiter was very polite and timely with proceedings. Interviewed with a Product Manager in Pittsburgh. They seemed cold, uninterested, and generally busy. Asked generally about my current work at a startup, then asked how I would implement a very broad feature in Gmail. It was a very large question, and they offered no guidance or clarification on what they were looking for. Went down a bunch of roadways with a bit of disinterest. Finally asked me why I wanted to work at Google and not a startup, then the interviewer had to leave for a meeting. Overall: short, disinterested, and cold.

Interview Questions

• Let's say we wanted to implement an Amazon Mayday like feature in Gmail. How would that work?   2 Answers