Google

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Getting the Interview

122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Referred by friend. Got a phone interview fairly quickly, less than a week.

Interview Question – Why Google?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – This review is in regards to my second phone interview for the product manager position. I uploaded my review for the first phone interview on March 19, 2014 if you would like to see that one as well.

I was contacted by the recruiter saying my first interviewer thought I would be good for the role, but was unable to determine my level of product creativity. So we set up a second interview with another PM. It was not your typical Google interview. He only asked me two questions.

1. Tell me about a product/project you managed that you feel most represents your skill set as a PM.

2. If you were to come on as a PM at Google what would your process be for determining what lies ahead and needs to be accomplished (My answer focused on acquiring insights from my engineering team, having discussion with subject matter experts, and using Google's extensive amount of data to create actionable metrics).

I've been invited to Mountain View for the in person interviews in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted on how those interviews are.

Interview Question – He led off the interview by asking me what questions I had for him. I was caught slightly off guard as I was expecting to be put through ringer. In my previous interview there had only been time for two of my questions, so I didn't have that many prepared. In this particular interview about 30-40 minutes of the hour long interview was devoted to questions I had for him, so I had to come up with a lot of them on the fly. I believe he was also assessing my Product Management knowledge based upon the kinds of questions I was asking.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – First I had a quick HR interview and then a phone interview was setup with a product manager. The interviewer asked me to explain how I will go about building a video editing software for blind people. I thought my technical and creative thinking aspects were right on.

However, I messed up on some market sizing calculations, very basic percentages. I am startled at myself for that silly mistake that just got me off track. I had done these kinds of problems so very well in GMATs and GREs but messed up here, can't believe myself.

Anyway, apart from that, I thought the interview went well. I also did pretty good on coming up with ideas for business models for this video editing software. I was happy about my overall performance but kicked myself for the math calculation error. I didn't expect that this mistake and some confusion around it would cause me the job! In hindsight, I am not even sure if the interviewer was expecting me to challenge the product idea and ask questions about why would someone want to build such product with limited addressable market etc.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred for the position from someone inside Google and received an email from a Google recruiter. After 15 minutes of chit chat about my resume and interests, he told me he would email me if I was to have an interview with a product manager. It was obvious to me that I was going to have one by the way he spoke and 2 minutes later I received an email from him asking me for interview times.
A week later I had the phone interview.
The interviewer was very sweet and friendly and she obviously had a lot of experience as she had been at Google for I think 4 years. She asked me about myself, so I gave her my resume pitch. She then asked me if I wanted to talk hardware or software. I said software. She asked me about an internet / software service that I used and liked OTHER THAN GOOGLE OR A GOOGLE PRODUCT. I said Netflix. Questions asked -
What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?
What is their business model?
How can Netflix change its product without causing an uproar?
How can Netflix change its pricing without causing an uproar?

She then asked me about a piece of hardware that I liked to use and to explain why I liked it.

I talked about my bicycle.

Interview Question – What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They wanted me to fly to Mountain View for the onsite interview, however I received a raise at my company and decided to stay

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The interview process felt very thorough and complete. I was referred by a current employee and was contacted by an internal Google recruiter within days. They walked me through what the process would look like and helped me throughout the way. I was handed off to other 'recruiters' who managed each stage of the process. Eventually I was scheduled for a full-day interview in their offices.

Interview Question – Was asked how I would perform statistical frequency analysis on a random raw data source to get a set of results that are most relevant to humans.   Answer Question

Interview Details – Methodical and general

Interview Question – Dubious ethics as numerous interviewers asked for ideas on how to improve current (real) products   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – applied thru website and got a phone interview set up. not much difficult questions but got a reject email a week later.

Interview Question – do u know sql?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – This was a referral and I quickly got contacted by HR via email. Very professional process with lots of explanations and tips to best prepare for the interviews.

There was then an initial screening by HR. Ensuring that I had the background to move forward and also give me some good insight into the prosition and process.

Next was a phone interview with a PM who showed up 20 minutes late and started to ask questions anout the market and challenges in wearable devices. At this point this was a complete disconnect as I'm an enterprise software professional and honestly was not even interested having that discussion.

As a follow up I was explained that Google wants their PMs to be able to tackle any topic. Obviously they are a successful company and their screening process works. Good for them, I reserve the right to think different, C-level IT executives have different expectations and constraints than me using Gmail at home.

Interview Question – Design a system to serve streaming video to google glass users.   Answer Question

Product Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – One phone interview followed by Onsite

Interview Question – Machine Learning and Search DB failure   Answer Question

Product Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Round I Interviews include 2 interviews with current PM's.
Questions included:
Interview I:
1. Tell me about a product you like
   a. Why do you like it?
   b. how would you improve it?
   c. how would you monetize it?
2. Now let's imagine you are PM of that product. And you launch a new feature (of the feature sets suggested above). Day after launch usage drop dramatically. How do you go about inquiring what happened?
3. What do you think about the Android vs. iOs ?

Interview II:
1. So, tell me what you would improve about Toothpaste
2. Tell me about a competitive move by a company in the past 6 months and what you think about it.

Google PM position is highly technical and interviewers look to see if interviewee has the technical background and understand coupled with the product ingenuity and innovative thought and creative approach needed to innovative new and existing product at Google.

Interview Question – Android vs. iOs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got round II

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 122 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.