Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.3

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Good process. Phone interview with basic background questions. On site with several interviewers digging into various skills - product, engineering, and analytical. Nobody cares about background or experience. Just how the conversation and questions go.

Interview Questions

• I had almost all product questions -- pick a product you like/hate. Why. Design a better one. You have a startup for product category X. Design me a product. You are making a change to improve product X. How would you measure its improvement.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They warn you ahead of time that the interview process will take months but it was surprising nonetheless. The interviews were fun, I went through a pretty light phone screen with a recruiter, a more rigorous screening with an existing PM, and then three rounds of onsite interviews for one day. After about a week, I heard back from the company saying they would pass on me for now and re-apply, but they refused to give any feedback, which would have been helpful for upcoming interviews and to understand what I could work on if I should re-apply.

Interview Questions

• The NBA championships are about to happen and you produce merchandise showcasing the winning team--but, you don't know which team that will be. What do you produce and how much do you produce to dress the stadium visitors with merchandise?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The conversation was halting and not fluid. I couldn't really get comfortable with the interviewer. His tone was a little distant and calculated. He asked questions and he took a lot of notes. I was told that note taking is normal, but it made it feel like I was talking to a distracted doctor versus having a conversation with someone.

Interview Questions

• If you were Product Manager of (unnamed product), how would you improve the functionality 10x of what it is now.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Quick (1/2 hour) and fairly generic. Must have been 10 other candidates, likely for other jobs, in the lobby at the same time as me. Interviewer seemed engaged and was interested in my background. Odd they never asked for a resume. Only looked at my linkedin profile for background information and job history.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by on-site interview. Had four product interviews and one technical interview. Three interviews were by PMs and one was a Group PM. The technical interview was led by an engineer. Questions were fairly standard, how would you improve the in-store shopping experience, what will be the impact of self-driving cars, how many buildings are built in California etc.

Interview Questions

• What will be the impact of self-driving cars?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I was recruited from the university. First I had a talk with a very nice recruiter. She asked me about my interest, some behavioral questions, etc.
    Second was a phone interview with a PM person. Here I had a couple questions and brainteasers.
    After this interview I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about your 3 favorite unknown android applications. Why?
      Q: How much storage space do you need to store all the info from Google Maps

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn, had an initial 15-min phone conversation with her primarily to talk about the role and a little bit about my background and to set up a 45-min phone conversation with a PM

Interview Questions

• Google wants to launch a competitor to Amazon's ereader product. Let's brainstorm some ideas   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Interview

1. Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn
    2. Email exchange then initial phone screen with recruiter. Only question asked was if I was willing to relocate.
    3. Phone screen with Product Manager
    4. On-site interview (didn't make it this far)

Interview Questions

• The only interesting takeaway was a question regarding mean vs. median. Wasn't expecting statistics, but it was an applicable question when thinking about how to create applications or use population statistics.

Normal questions about explaining things to someone (how you think) and increasing user-ship by doing XYZ (product strategy).

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LInkedin, did one initial screening phone interview which was mostly about my background and history. I did a second phone interview where I was asked hypothetical questions and had to show my working verbally, it seemed focused on estimating market size, but I think it was judged on problem solving methodology. I then did an on-site which was like an interview written by Charles Dickens, as I was visited by 5 different interviewers throughout the day. Mostly hypotheticals again in the on-site.

Interview Questions

• Choose a city and estimate how many Piano Tuners operate a business there.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I did not apply for the position. I was approached by a Google sourcer on LinkedIn and we setup a time for a very quick phone call. After the call he requested a current copy of my resume along with my availability for phone interview. A recruiter then sent me an email with the time for the interview. I was then phoned by a product manager for 45 minute interview. Finally I received the rejection email from the recruited within 24 hours of the interview.

Interview Questions

• All questions were product/market based questions. Name your top 5 favorite mobile apps, why do you like them? Who should Google acquire? Design a product. There were no behavioral or work history questions.   Answer Question