Google

Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.3

151 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

One phone interview followed by Onsite

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

Standard Process. A phone screen by recruiter followed by phone screen with a couple of product managers. After that got an invite to come onsite. Had 5 gruelling interviews ( 3 PMs, 1 behavioral with a Director of PM, 1 engineer ). They get you to lunch with one of the PMs and the lunch is fairly casual which gives you a glimpse of the famous 'free google food' Those candidates will succeed who practice and stick to an enterpreneurial mindset day in and day out. Its not something that you practice, prepare and acquire overnight or even in a few months. This was my second shot, I felt optimistic but unfortunately i did not make it.

Questions :

1) concept to design - how would you build X for Y kind of people?

2) Strategic - what would you do if u were the CEO of X?What is the next big thing that you would design for XYZ company?

3) Sizing/estimation/consulting case type questions - if you build xyz product what is the market size like and how much? key here is to make assumptions, think details and incorporate them..

4) Puzzles - i got a couple of them....imagine u are on an island and....or u hav a billion numbers and...

5) behavioral - i did not encounter them when i interviewed at google a few years back...seems like Google is changing its approach towards a more rounded up interview process

6) engineering/CS - this does require a solid CS Foundation...didn't help that it came towards the end of a long and tiring day...last time around i also got Big( O ) estimation problems thrown at me..

Tips:

1. Use the whiteboard to articulate and frame your thoughts and go through the problem solving process...what you should be thinking of is to come up with a framework for the answer instead of jumping rightaway to a nice well rounded andswer..google wants to see your framework not your final answer....
    also my big takeaway from the interview (even though i didnt get the job) was this framework building process could be used beyond this interview even in my day to day work with great results

2. Have a 'recursive approach' - which means when given a problem with which you are absolutely stumped, try to think of the simplest 'base' case...scale it slightly...observe the pattern and come up with an insight...if you have 7 bullets in a gun kinda problem try to think of it in terms of 1-2 bullets in a gun scale...figure out the pattern for the smaller problem and that is the key to the larger problem as well...

3. be creative, think about the status qou and whats wrong and what you would like to change..whether its google's products or a competitors...

4. Keep your calm...this is the most most important of all...remember to simply slow down since your heart rate will be 2x the normal...

At all times, Google's followup was very professional...u will learn of how you fared in 1 or 2 weeks and the recruiter was exceptionally considerate in reaching out to me at intervals and letting me know where the process was...a far cry from some of the other behemoths in the valley who do not even bother to acknowledge your onsite visit to them....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

Contacted by recruiter in Jan and started to schedule my phone interview.
    1st one cancelled on me like 30 mins before the call, 2nd one even didn't bother to call me - it turns out to be her last day at Google (and i was told by recruiter the 2 days after that fact...)
    3rd one - late to the call like 8 mins - which made me almost think that I wouldn't get the phone interview call again.

It was the most awkward phone interview process I'd even experienced. This wasted 2+ weeks.

Interview Questions
    • - What's your most visited websites, what's good/bad, how to improve.
      - What's a good design you've seen, how to improve

View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2014.

I was referred for the position from someone inside Google and received an email from a Google recruiter. After 15 minutes of chit chat about my resume and interests, he told me he would email me if I was to have an interview with a product manager. It was obvious to me that I was going to have one by the way he spoke and 2 minutes later I received an email from him asking me for interview times.
    A week later I had the phone interview.
    The interviewer was very sweet and friendly and she obviously had a lot of experience as she had been at Google for I think 4 years. She asked me about myself, so I gave her my resume pitch. She then asked me if I wanted to talk hardware or software. I said software. She asked me about an internet / software service that I used and liked OTHER THAN GOOGLE OR A GOOGLE PRODUCT. I said Netflix. Questions asked -
    What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?
    What is their business model?
    How can Netflix change its product without causing an uproar?
    How can Netflix change its pricing without causing an uproar?

She then asked me about a piece of hardware that I liked to use and to explain why I liked it.

I talked about my bicycle.

Interview Questions
    • What are the things Netflix should measure/analyze on a daily basis?   View Answer

They wanted me to fly to Mountain View for the onsite interview, however I received a raise at my company and decided to stay

Product Manager Interview

Applied through the campus website. Had an initial interview with a product manager. Then invited to college day in San Francisco where had a day of interviews. It was a round robin interview process with a large range of questions. After that was told I did not get to the next round of the interview about 2 weeks later.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Entered the Google process through a friend who'd also interviewed for the role and connected me to her recruiter. Timing was not an issue and the initial recruiter was both friendly and responsive.

Interview Questions
    • You're a PM for Twitter and you're launching a feature that tracks the geographical position of every tweet. Go!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in December 2013.

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. After a quick phone chat, she setup a phone interview with a Product Manager. I work at a direct competitor with solid experience - so I wasn't too worried. I thought the phone interview went great, but was disappointed to hear that they are not moving forward with the process. As per Google policy, no feedback was provided.

I was surprised by the result of the interview since I thought it went great. It was casual, low key. We discussed my resume with details on instances at my job where I had demonstrated specific skills. We also discussed my favorite google product and two features that I would add to it if I were the Product Manager.

Interview Questions
    • None. Everything was straightforward and non technical.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2013.

First round telephone interview with a PM. Very straightforward interview (unexpected), none of the weird/crazy questions that I've read about. Basic behavioral - tell me about yourself, strengths/weaknesses, greatest professional achievement, bad team experience, why Google. And then some time for questions. A total of 45 minutes. No question on Google products, their strategy, design questions etc.

Seemed as though the interview was just a formality to reject my candidacy and that the decision was made beforehand. My answers were more or less scripted, well practiced and I don't see how any decision could have been made based on this interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected whatsover   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interviewing at Google was quite a strange experience. A friend of mine who works as a software engineer forwarded my resume to the recruiting team. Regarding my background: I have 10+ years of experience, worked for a while in consulting, then as an IT director and founded a couple of startups so it seemed like a good fit. I also have a MS in physics from my home country and a MS in applied mathematics from Stanford.

I was contacted the day after my friend submitted my resume. After a couple of emails exchanged with the recruiter, I was scheduled for a phone interview with the PM. The interviewer was a junior PM who had been with Google for a few months. Interestingly enough, I wasn't asked anything regarding my background, only a couple of textbook questions: "why does Starbucks expand the way they do having multiple stores next to each other?" and "how would you design a new computer keyboard?". The interviewer then proceeded to talk about Google for 15 minutes mostly about his own experience as a PM. Overall the call lasted about 45 minutes.

I received an email a few hours after my interview letting me know that I would move on to the next round. After a week of radio silence, I sent an email inquiring about the status of my application and was told that they were swamped figuring out the interview schedule but would get back to me as soon as possible. The next day I received another email letting me know that I actually wouldn't move on to the next round but a couple of other teams were interested in my resume: a "stealth" project and the gTech team (sales support) as a Partner Technical Manager for Google shopping.

I was then interviewed by a second recruiter for the PTM position who asked me very basic questions. "Do you have experience working with cross-functional teams?", "Can you code?", etc... I moved on to the next round with a second PTM recruiter who again asked me basic questions: "what motivates you to join this position?", "do you have experience working with partners?", etc... After the call I was told they would send my resume for the next rounds which consisted of 2 hangouts, followed by 3 on-site interviews.

Again after a week I sent another email to the recruiter inquiring about the status of my application. I was told that basically I wouldn't move on to the next round but yet another team was interested in interviewing with me. I was given a self-assessment form to fill out: I had to give myself a grade from 1 to 5 on various topics ranging from coding, to management, to linux proficiency etc... I sent back the form but told them that at this point I had been interviewing for over a month and that I had other offers (I had already declined 2 offers to keep interviewing with them) and I needed an offer from them within a week. They told me they understood but couldn't accommodate me and that was the end of the recruiting process.

Lesson learned:
    - Google recruiters are fast. They will work hard to find you a team that is a good fit for you. Be nice to them and they will go out of their way to send your resume to other recruiters if they cannot find you something.
    - You initial rounds of interview will be with junior employees (recruiters, PMs, etc...) even if you are an experienced candidate. Questions will be basic and may be unrelated to your areas of expertise but it's a way for them to weed out candidates.
    - The recruitment process varies from one team to the next and is specific to a particular project. For instance type of questions, number of phone/hangout/on-site interviews, etc...
    - The recruitment process is opaque; you will not get feedback on your interview performance and they will cancel interviews if they found a better candidate for the position even if you did well.

Interview Questions
    • Why does Starbucks expand the way they do having multiple stores next to each other?   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Recruiter contacted after going through the LinkedIn profile. It took them about 2 weeks to schedule the first round of interview, which was a phone interview. They provide only the first name of the interviewer and in my case, the interviewer changed at the last minute. Interview was set of questions - mainly technical case based questions. The interview last for 45 minutes and HR got back in 3-4 days.

Interview Questions
    • limited behavioral and mostly case base questions...do a thorough analysis of Google and competitor products.   Answer Question