Google

Getting the Interview

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my application through employee referral and was promptly contacted by a Candidate Developer via email, who then passed me onto a Recruiter. The Recruiter was interested in talking to me about a role that I didn't apply to but was very similar to another role I applied to. After an initial screening (30-minute phone interview), the Recruiter said he would be getting feedback from the Hiring Manager within the same day and would let me know. I never heard back so I assume that's the end of it.

Interview Question – What would a room full of colleagues say about you?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewing proces is very detail, thorough, and full of situational questions.

Interview Question – If situational questions are identified as most dificult, then most questions will be considered difficult   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied for Job online - submitted resume'
Contact by Google Recruiter - 15 min: brief introductions, job description, willing to relocate
Phone Screen - 45 min - general and specific questions about background and skills
On site Interview - 5 x 45 min interviews with a mix of people
Phone interview with hiring manager - 45 min - detailed questions about background

In general, the interviewing process was very well organized and very well communicated. Even though I did not get the job offer, it was probably the best interview I have ever been through. You have a lot of very sharp people asking very good questions. I actually enjoyed the process and would do it again. I did not get any of those crazy "Google" questions. It is my understanding that they do not do that anymore. I did, however, get lots of difficult, sort of, open ended questions that allowed you complete freedom to direct the answer. This can be good or bad. If you know the material it is good, if you don't and you are making stuff up, they will know it. You are better of saying that you do not know. Be prepared to be drilled with questions for 40 minutes of each interview and then have, maybe, 5 minutes to ask your own. For the onsite interview, you will have lunch (excellent food) with someone and it will be non-technical. That is your opportunity to ask all the general, culture and "perks" questions you will have.

The only negative was that every phone call I had, the person was 10-30 minutes late for the call. This left me waiting for them to call. Clearly you are on their time because they didn't always apologize for being late. I suppose this is to be expected. I got the impression that everyone was extremely busy.

Interview Question – Tell me when you created something from nothing...   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 1. Recruiter screener (contractor): Pleasant, straight forward and helpful in providing next steps. Also provided context guidance which was also straight forward. To prepare to explain in detail how managed a couple of key projects. How handle obstacles and measure success.
2. Next level mixed. Pleasant but rushed. I had read here in Glassdoor that they don't give you time to think and it's true.

Interview Questions

• Asked about process for sensitive confidential work.   Answer Question
  • This is more about advice: There is a lot of info on how to prepare for a Google interview. DON'T overdo it. Stay focused on a couple of deep examples. Don't offer solutions. They are looking for informed decisions based on data and if you have a lot of experience at another company you might fall into the non-Googly trap with your suggestions and this is a definite show stopper.   View Answer

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Google recruiters are the toughest part of the process, because they are so slow in their communications. YOu have to pursue THEM, it's almost a test to see how much you want the job. The interviews themselves are difficult; they want to make sure you can think critically.

Interview Question – Creating efficienies - what are efficiencies, and what would you do in this role?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in December 2009.

Interview Details – 4 interviews; 2 hiring committees; sign off from CEO

Interview Question – Give 3 examples of how you would improve this program.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't feel that negotiation was even an option.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interview Details – They reached out to me through a cold call for a Program Management role in their HR group. The role was based on making internal improvements to their processes in the ERP. Their culture was open and fun, but hard working. Many employees were still there when I checked to make sure of directions the night before at 8 PM.

Interview Question – Estimate how much money we make on click through advertising.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with recruiter then had 30 interview with hiring manager

San Jose, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in May 2010.

Interview Details – I met with 6 interviews as well as the recruiter that was sherparding me around on Google campus. Was asked a variety of excersises to design different service offerings or how to determine if a change in an existing service should be analyzed for potential deployment. Overall the folks I met during this loop were not particularly impressive.

Interview went well but I came away with the impression that they were only interested in folks with heavy focus on the advertising space. Also felt that they were very focused on my age and that was a major factor in not being made an offer. Interstingly at some point their internal systems were set to move forward with an offer because I was sent a questionaire asking why I had declined the offer and how it could have been improved.

I definitely came away enjoying the process and would have been interested in exploring an offer if one had been made.

Interview Questions

• If a change in a product made Google less money over all and even would reduce the revenue of partners but might save money for the consumers should Google still do it?   View Answers (3)
  • Calculate the value of adding adds to a previously ad free web property.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2011.

Interview Details – The first two phone interviews went well, took 4 weeks. I was later called for an onsite interview. This was a program manager position, something I have done was years. Two people interviewed, one was some engineeing project manager, the other was an architect of some sort. The engineering project manager was very arrogant from the start, he was asking questions in the name of testing the edge of my knowledge, however except a few questions, many were irrelevant to the job for which I was being interviewed. He wouldn't let me think or finish my answers and asked questions that can be easily answered by looking up a manual or help available in software packages. The second technical interview was much better and I thought I did well. I got a mail saying I di n't make it. The inside of the offices didn't look very exciting or anything. I didn't see dogs or snakes or other pets. My current company which is bigger than Google and Microsoft and competes with Google in the cellphone space seemed like a much more practical and friendlier place to work for. I would rather go fulltime with my current company. I do not think I will ever interview with Google again. I recommend interviewees don't get discouraged if you are not selected.

Interview Question – Not many difficult questions, but the interviewer woukd not let you think and answer.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.