Google

Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.3

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Was very good and interesting. I had 5 interviews at Googleplex including 1 informal lunch interview. Each interviewer was testing me for specific area and continuously asked questions for 45 mins. Know your PMP stuff by heart. Prepare to answer leadership related questions as well. Lots of situational & behavioral questions were asked as well. I hardly got time to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
  • What is the role and importance of a business analyst ?   Answer Question
  • What is critical path and what happens if it changes?   Answer Question
  • How would you streamline processes - give example   Answer Question
  • How would your derive metrics ?   Answer Question
  • Have you learned anything new and taken leadership to run that project from end to end ?   Answer Question
  • Define your ideal work environment & manager   Answer Question
  • How would you resolve conflict and ambiguity in a project ?   Answer Question
  • How would you convince someone to get your work done if they happen to be a difficult personality ?   Answer Question
  • What are your strangers & weaknesses ?   Answer Question
Still negotiating

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

Do phone screening. Didn't get to the next step. Recruiter said that team didn't want to pursue any further. Didn't say why. The process was fast although if I got further in the process, it could take two months to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Question around whether I have own product roadmap decisions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

An email from the Google recruiter to notify me that I have been selected by the hiring manager. I needed to confirm the schedule for the phone interview by the team.

Interview Questions
    • Trivial technical question, basic definition of web programming. Either you remember or you don't.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

My interview with Google spanned a couple months. The first was for a Program Manager I didn't actually apply for (but was similar to one that I applied for). After an initial phone screen with the Recruiter, I was set up for a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager and then they flew me out to Mountain View for a series of interviews with various people from the team, and a person from outside of the team. I ended up hearing back from them a couple weeks later that while the team had a lot of positive things to say about me, they didn't think it would be a good fit for the role. The Recruiter actually passed me onto another Recruiter, because they thought I would be a good fit for another role within the larger organization. It's great that they take the time to really think about where you would fit into the organization if they think you bring valuable skills and experiences to the table.

My second set of interviews went rather fast. I went through the same process of having a phone screen with the Recruiter, having a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager, and then being flown out to Mountain View again. This time though, the Recruiter didn't get back to me with feedback until I emailed her twice. This kind of shows that the Google interview process is really hit or miss; sometimes you would end up with a great recruiter and other times, you'll get one that's pretty useless.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any question that was really difficult or unexpected, but one of the senior leaders who interviewed me responded very argumentatively to my answers. I wasn't sure whether to actually launch into a full debate outlining the logic and reasoning behind my answers, or to just acknowledge her point of view and let it slide.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied for Job online - submitted resume'
    Contact by Google Recruiter - 15 min: brief introductions, job description, willing to relocate
    Phone Screen - 45 min - general and specific questions about background and skills
    On site Interview - 5 x 45 min interviews with a mix of people
    Phone interview with hiring manager - 45 min - detailed questions about background

In general, the interviewing process was very well organized and very well communicated. Even though I did not get the job offer, it was probably the best interview I have ever been through. You have a lot of very sharp people asking very good questions. I actually enjoyed the process and would do it again. I did not get any of those crazy "Google" questions. It is my understanding that they do not do that anymore. I did, however, get lots of difficult, sort of, open ended questions that allowed you complete freedom to direct the answer. This can be good or bad. If you know the material it is good, if you don't and you are making stuff up, they will know it. You are better of saying that you do not know. Be prepared to be drilled with questions for 40 minutes of each interview and then have, maybe, 5 minutes to ask your own. For the onsite interview, you will have lunch (excellent food) with someone and it will be non-technical. That is your opportunity to ask all the general, culture and "perks" questions you will have.

The only negative was that every phone call I had, the person was 10-30 minutes late for the call. This left me waiting for them to call. Clearly you are on their time because they didn't always apologize for being late. I suppose this is to be expected. I got the impression that everyone was extremely busy.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

The interviewing proces is very detail, thorough, and full of situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • If situational questions are identified as most dificult, then most questions will be considered difficult   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2013.

Google's recruiters are amazing--after interviewing with over 10 companies during my current job search, I can say without a doubt that they are the best in the industry. My recruiter was super attentive--called me throughout the process, and the company really takes an interest in finding you the right fit within the company. After my initial recruiter call, I was then set up with a hiring manager. The questions he asked were very position focused, because the behavioral/fit questions come during the on-site interview. The on-site was very efficient, and I met with 5 team members, and 1 fit interviewer. Overall, they assess you for leadership, skill-based competency, and most importantly, your Googley-ness, or what I like to call the "airport test". If you can pass all that, then it goes to the hiring committee, for which you have to assemble a candidate packet, complete with a questionnaire and references. Then wait one more week, and then the recruiter will call you personally to tell you that you've gotten the offer or not.

Interview Questions
    The compensation package was attractive enough that I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

1. Recruiter screener (contractor): Pleasant, straight forward and helpful in providing next steps. Also provided context guidance which was also straight forward. To prepare to explain in detail how managed a couple of key projects. How handle obstacles and measure success.
    2. Next level mixed. Pleasant but rushed. I had read here in Glassdoor that they don't give you time to think and it's true.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about process for sensitive confidential work.   Answer Question
    • This is more about advice: There is a lot of info on how to prepare for a Google interview. DON'T overdo it. Stay focused on a couple of deep examples. Don't offer solutions. They are looking for informed decisions based on data and if you have a lot of experience at another company you might fall into the non-Googly trap with your suggestions and this is a definite show stopper.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Google recruiters are the toughest part of the process, because they are so slow in their communications. YOu have to pursue THEM, it's almost a test to see how much you want the job. The interviews themselves are difficult; they want to make sure you can think critically.

Interview Questions
    • Creating efficienies - what are efficiencies, and what would you do in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2011.

The first two phone interviews went well, took 4 weeks. I was later called for an onsite interview. This was a program manager position, something I have done was years. Two people interviewed, one was some engineeing project manager, the other was an architect of some sort. The engineering project manager was very arrogant from the start, he was asking questions in the name of testing the edge of my knowledge, however except a few questions, many were irrelevant to the job for which I was being interviewed. He wouldn't let me think or finish my answers and asked questions that can be easily answered by looking up a manual or help available in software packages. The second technical interview was much better and I thought I did well. I got a mail saying I di n't make it. The inside of the offices didn't look very exciting or anything. I didn't see dogs or snakes or other pets. My current company which is bigger than Google and Microsoft and competes with Google in the cellphone space seemed like a much more practical and friendlier place to work for. I would rather go fulltime with my current company. I do not think I will ever interview with Google again. I recommend interviewees don't get discouraged if you are not selected.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult questions, but the interviewer woukd not let you think and answer.   View Answer