Google

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – Do phone screening. Didn't get to the next step. Recruiter said that team didn't want to pursue any further. Didn't say why. The process was fast although if I got further in the process, it could take two months to complete.

Interview Question – Question around whether I have own product roadmap decisions.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – An email from the Google recruiter to notify me that I have been selected by the hiring manager. I needed to confirm the schedule for the phone interview by the team.

Interview Question – Trivial technical question, basic definition of web programming. Either you remember or you don't.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – My interview with Google spanned a couple months. The first was for a Program Manager I didn't actually apply for (but was similar to one that I applied for). After an initial phone screen with the Recruiter, I was set up for a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager and then they flew me out to Mountain View for a series of interviews with various people from the team, and a person from outside of the team. I ended up hearing back from them a couple weeks later that while the team had a lot of positive things to say about me, they didn't think it would be a good fit for the role. The Recruiter actually passed me onto another Recruiter, because they thought I would be a good fit for another role within the larger organization. It's great that they take the time to really think about where you would fit into the organization if they think you bring valuable skills and experiences to the table.

My second set of interviews went rather fast. I went through the same process of having a phone screen with the Recruiter, having a Google Hangout interview with the hiring manager, and then being flown out to Mountain View again. This time though, the Recruiter didn't get back to me with feedback until I emailed her twice. This kind of shows that the Google interview process is really hit or miss; sometimes you would end up with a great recruiter and other times, you'll get one that's pretty useless.

Interview Question – There wasn't any question that was really difficult or unexpected, but one of the senior leaders who interviewed me responded very argumentatively to my answers. I wasn't sure whether to actually launch into a full debate outlining the logic and reasoning behind my answers, or to just acknowledge her point of view and let it slide.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewing proces is very detail, thorough, and full of situational questions.

Interview Question – If situational questions are identified as most dificult, then most questions will be considered difficult   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied for Job online - submitted resume'
Contact by Google Recruiter - 15 min: brief introductions, job description, willing to relocate
Phone Screen - 45 min - general and specific questions about background and skills
On site Interview - 5 x 45 min interviews with a mix of people
Phone interview with hiring manager - 45 min - detailed questions about background

In general, the interviewing process was very well organized and very well communicated. Even though I did not get the job offer, it was probably the best interview I have ever been through. You have a lot of very sharp people asking very good questions. I actually enjoyed the process and would do it again. I did not get any of those crazy "Google" questions. It is my understanding that they do not do that anymore. I did, however, get lots of difficult, sort of, open ended questions that allowed you complete freedom to direct the answer. This can be good or bad. If you know the material it is good, if you don't and you are making stuff up, they will know it. You are better of saying that you do not know. Be prepared to be drilled with questions for 40 minutes of each interview and then have, maybe, 5 minutes to ask your own. For the onsite interview, you will have lunch (excellent food) with someone and it will be non-technical. That is your opportunity to ask all the general, culture and "perks" questions you will have.

The only negative was that every phone call I had, the person was 10-30 minutes late for the call. This left me waiting for them to call. Clearly you are on their time because they didn't always apologize for being late. I suppose this is to be expected. I got the impression that everyone was extremely busy.

Interview Question – Tell me when you created something from nothing...   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 1. Recruiter screener (contractor): Pleasant, straight forward and helpful in providing next steps. Also provided context guidance which was also straight forward. To prepare to explain in detail how managed a couple of key projects. How handle obstacles and measure success.
2. Next level mixed. Pleasant but rushed. I had read here in Glassdoor that they don't give you time to think and it's true.

Interview Questions

• Asked about process for sensitive confidential work.   Answer Question
  • This is more about advice: There is a lot of info on how to prepare for a Google interview. DON'T overdo it. Stay focused on a couple of deep examples. Don't offer solutions. They are looking for informed decisions based on data and if you have a lot of experience at another company you might fall into the non-Googly trap with your suggestions and this is a definite show stopper.   View Answer

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Google recruiters are the toughest part of the process, because they are so slow in their communications. YOu have to pursue THEM, it's almost a test to see how much you want the job. The interviews themselves are difficult; they want to make sure you can think critically.

Interview Question – Creating efficienies - what are efficiencies, and what would you do in this role?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in December 2009.

Interview Details – 4 interviews; 2 hiring committees; sign off from CEO

Interview Question – Give 3 examples of how you would improve this program.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't feel that negotiation was even an option.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interview Details – They reached out to me through a cold call for a Program Management role in their HR group. The role was based on making internal improvements to their processes in the ERP. Their culture was open and fun, but hard working. Many employees were still there when I checked to make sure of directions the night before at 8 PM.

Interview Question – Estimate how much money we make on click through advertising.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with recruiter then had 30 interview with hiring manager

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!