Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

3.3

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2009.

Submitted resume online. Sailed through a 1-hour technical phone interview. The question involved bayesian analysis of drug testing (determining false positive rate, etc). It's a classic and it hit my sweet spot. Easy.

Interview Questions
  • The on-site interviews were not so easy. One thing to note: I have 20 years of experience and a strong track record of getting results. The interviewers had zero interest in what I've done before. Instead it was white boarding all the way. Felt more like an old-school math class -- go to the board and solve this problem -- than a job interview. Toughest question? Honestly, this was 4 years ago and I don't recall precisely. I think it was how to determine mean standard deviation of two blended datasets for which you know their means and standard deviations (and maybe Ns) but for which you've lost the original data. Turns out it's a classic you'll probably encounter in first year statistics, but I hadn't thought about it in about 25 years and so stumbled.   View Answer
  • An ice cream shop wants to determine the probability of any random customer buying one of their three flavors, based on their historical data set.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Quantitative Analyst Interview

On-site interview at their London office. Had 3 interviews in total, 2 of them were video conferences. Each was 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice. They tried to gauge how much you know and if you don't know a particular area, they'll ask something easier. So it's hard to say how much I could have done more to land the job.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about GLM, how to deal with large number of variables, economic experiments   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2012.

After a referral from a current employee, it was a long process (3 months). Long enough, in fact, that the job listing itself changed several times over the course of the process. An initial call from a recruiter, two (1hr.) technical phone interviews covering some basic data analysis, technologies, and relevant items from the resume. Invited to fly out for a on-site in Mountain View, involving 4 interviews with analysts from different business segments. Took a few weeks to get an answer after that.

Interview Questions
    • There was one with 'what-if' questions involving how to analyze certain aspects of their business, including finding trends in ad bidding behavior and detecting contextual advertisers who were gaming the system. Open-ended enough that it wasn't clear if a right answer existed, but they may have had one in mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

The hiring process was pretty smooth.
    Hiring manager resume screen then 4 onsite interviews. Technical questions related to my field were OK but I did not give correct answer for practical marketing questions.

Interview Questions
    • Choose one of products of Google, then explain your strategy to improve the product.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Very fair interview. Basic questions about statistical analysis - how to estimating sample size required for experiment, how to find significance between two sets of measurements, how to analyse non-normal distributions etc...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Internal referred followed by two round of phone interviews. Both interviews focuses on technical questions. The first interview has lots of questions on the fundamental statistics models, such as regression models, experimental design. The questions are like typical exam problems, but requires quick instant responses. The second interview also fucused on statistical questions, but were asked in a practical context. The interviewer described several projects with me, and for each project he asked questions about how you would like to plan the project, what models would you use, what were the alternative choice you have, reasons you picked that model, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If you will propose a project in the quantitative marketing team, what will you propose and how will you plan the project?   View Answer
    Google offers a generous stipend for interns and I don't think there is any need to negotiate.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

First a discussion with the interviewer about my phD research, 35mins, he asked a lot of questions about the research top and the methodology; next, some questions related to basic econometrics, but requires deriving formula (e.g. to derive the variance of an OLS estimator from the OLS estimate itself); the next question is "how you evaluate the effectiveness of google mail with respect to persuading people using google more frequently than our competitors, say, yahoo, you can imagine you can get what ever data you could, - tell me what data you would like to collect and how you want to use them, and what potential insights would you expect to get out of them?"

Interview Questions
    • derive the formula for the variance of OLS from scratch   View Answers (3)
    • how you evaluate the effectiveness of google mail with respect to persuading people using google more frequently than our competitors, say, yahoo, you can imagine you can get what ever data you could, - tell me what data you would like to collect and how you want to use them, and what potential insights would you expect to get out of them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Google works with experienced and friendly recruiters. I'm glad that the interview process didn't really take so long and the recruiters tried to help from the beginning to the end of this process.

First of all, the recruiter found my resume on their database as a good match with the position and contacted with me over the phone. In this conversation, she asked me a couple of questions about my background and tried to understand if i am really a good fit for this position. As this interview was successful, she arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager's questions were a mix of technical and practical knowledge. After the technical SQL question, he asked me a practical case question about using statistical modeling for decision making, and we brainstormed different scenarios based on my responses.

Finally, they invited me to have a face-to-face interview in their headquarters. The travel company they work with was rude to me when i tried to reserve the flight ticket and the hotel. Hotel was a local hotel around that area, but I would expect from Google to provide the interviewers a better hotel to stay, because i could only sleep only for about 2 hours at this hotel before the interview and I felt very tired throughout the interview day. Before the interview, I left the hotel earlier than I should, but thanks to the traffic I arrived 5-10 minutes late, even though I used a GPS. I would recommend the other interviewers to request a limo, or leave the hotel at least 30 minutes earlier than they should.

I met with the recruiter in the beginning, and she gave me some preliminary information about the overall interview and she tried to give me some tips. She told me that i should keep my questions to the manager in the last meeting. Afterwards, I had three meetings with two managers and one senior engineer. First interview was a behavioral interview, and the manager asked a few questions about how i would handle situations by giving examples from my prior experiences. He asked me if i have any questions to him, but because of the little miscommunication between me and the recruiter, I told him that i don't have any questions. By the way, the behavioral meeting seemed to be the most important meeting in the whole process.

The second meeting was a technical meeting with the engineer, and he asked me questions to learn more about my database and programming skills. This meeting was the easiest and probably the least important one. The last interview was a business interview and the manager asked questions to learn more about my problem solving skills by asking how would i solve problems based on different scenarios. This was my favorite meeting overall and it was really fun.

After these meetings, I had a lunch with the recruiter and she showed me the Google campus and the facilities. Most importantly, i really liked to see Google workers were very happy and proud to work for Google. It was an exciting experience for me. After leaving the Google campus, I drove around the city to get a better sense of the location, and went to the airport. I had a very long sleep after this tiring experience. I woke up with the call from the recruiter and she told me that the result was negative.

Interview Questions
    • Would you prefer to have new products through innovation or focus on your current main products? Please provide me some examples from your prior experiences to answer this question.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2010.

Google goes through a really long interview process. First was the standard HR interview to double check your resume. Then a memeber of the team interviews you as to why you want the job. Then another one calls via G-Chat to ask you skills questions. Finally you get a mini-exam testing your relevant skills. Once you pass that exam you can come up to Google for an Interview with 3 people. One from the team, one from HR, and one from someone working with the team.

The one from the team is obvious. The HR person is checking to see if you are "Googlie" enough, and finally either the team member or an associate asks you the notorious questions like "How many dinosaurs does it take to build a school bus for Google?"

To be frank, the cultural fit part is really really hit or miss. If you connect well with your interviewer you'll do fine. If you make it to the final round and are presentable in public, the cultural fit is the most important.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Very awesome guys! 45 min per interviewer. They will ask you fundamental knowledge in statistics. You have to be very familiar with textbooks and react very very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • They go very deep into each question. You should be able to answer the first questions but the later the harder.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!