Google

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very awesome guys! 45 min per interviewer. They will ask you fundamental knowledge in statistics. You have to be very familiar with textbooks and react very very quickly.

Interview Question – They go very deep into each question. You should be able to answer the first questions but the later the harder.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral. Two recruiting managers contacted me after 10 days and I had two phone interviews.

Interview Question – The first interviewer was very unfriendly and the second interviewer was friendly. Due to my statistics background, they both asked some statistical questions including design of experiments for an effective advertising campaign, comparison of two survey results, coding questions and how to handle multicollinearity in predictors and large dimensional data, etc.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2009.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online. Sailed through a 1-hour technical phone interview. The question involved bayesian analysis of drug testing (determining false positive rate, etc). It's a classic and it hit my sweet spot. Easy.

Interview Questions

• The on-site interviews were not so easy. One thing to note: I have 20 years of experience and a strong track record of getting results. The interviewers had zero interest in what I've done before. Instead it was white boarding all the way. Felt more like an old-school math class -- go to the board and solve this problem -- than a job interview. Toughest question? Honestly, this was 4 years ago and I don't recall precisely. I think it was how to determine mean standard deviation of two blended datasets for which you know their means and standard deviations (and maybe Ns) but for which you've lost the original data. Turns out it's a classic you'll probably encounter in first year statistics, but I hadn't thought about it in about 25 years and so stumbled.   View Answer
  • An ice cream shop wants to determine the probability of any random customer buying one of their three flavors, based on their historical data set.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – Get contacted by a recruiter to answer 13 questions on a questionnaires. Then a phone interview was scheduled. The identity of the interviewer was not told and he didn't introduce himself much unless you asked.

Interview Question – Lots of experimental design questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I got contacted by recruiter three months after submitting a resume and arranged a phone interview. The interviewer was nice and led me to answers. Most questions are about basic statistical concepts, especially the OLS assumptions and remedies for violation, hypothesis testing. He didn't ask anything about coding. The second interview was about open questions, for which she described a scenario and asked me about solutions. The part was hard for me. I had no idea what she was looking for, for some of the questions.

Interview Question – If each of the two coefficient estimates in a regression model is statistically significant, do you expect the test of both together is still significant?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty smooth.
Hiring manager resume screen then 4 onsite interviews. Technical questions related to my field were OK but I did not give correct answer for practical marketing questions.

Interview Question – Choose one of products of Google, then explain your strategy to improve the product.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very fair interview. Basic questions about statistical analysis - how to estimating sample size required for experiment, how to find significance between two sets of measurements, how to analyse non-normal distributions etc...

Interview Question – open ended question about analysing reviews on Amazon   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2012.

Interview Details – After a referral from a current employee, it was a long process (3 months). Long enough, in fact, that the job listing itself changed several times over the course of the process. An initial call from a recruiter, two (1hr.) technical phone interviews covering some basic data analysis, technologies, and relevant items from the resume. Invited to fly out for a on-site in Mountain View, involving 4 interviews with analysts from different business segments. Took a few weeks to get an answer after that.

Interview Question – There was one with 'what-if' questions involving how to analyze certain aspects of their business, including finding trends in ad bidding behavior and detecting contextual advertisers who were gaming the system. Open-ended enough that it wasn't clear if a right answer existed, but they may have had one in mind.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst
City of London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – First a discussion with the interviewer about my phD research, 35mins, he asked a lot of questions about the research top and the methodology; next, some questions related to basic econometrics, but requires deriving formula (e.g. to derive the variance of an OLS estimator from the OLS estimate itself); the next question is "how you evaluate the effectiveness of google mail with respect to persuading people using google more frequently than our competitors, say, yahoo, you can imagine you can get what ever data you could, - tell me what data you would like to collect and how you want to use them, and what potential insights would you expect to get out of them?"

Interview Questions

• derive the formula for the variance of OLS from scratch   View Answers (3)
  • how you evaluate the effectiveness of google mail with respect to persuading people using google more frequently than our competitors, say, yahoo, you can imagine you can get what ever data you could, - tell me what data you would like to collect and how you want to use them, and what potential insights would you expect to get out of them?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – Google works with experienced and friendly recruiters. I'm glad that the interview process didn't really take so long and the recruiters tried to help from the beginning to the end of this process.

First of all, the recruiter found my resume on their database as a good match with the position and contacted with me over the phone. In this conversation, she asked me a couple of questions about my background and tried to understand if i am really a good fit for this position. As this interview was successful, she arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager's questions were a mix of technical and practical knowledge. After the technical SQL question, he asked me a practical case question about using statistical modeling for decision making, and we brainstormed different scenarios based on my responses.

Finally, they invited me to have a face-to-face interview in their headquarters. The travel company they work with was rude to me when i tried to reserve the flight ticket and the hotel. Hotel was a local hotel around that area, but I would expect from Google to provide the interviewers a better hotel to stay, because i could only sleep only for about 2 hours at this hotel before the interview and I felt very tired throughout the interview day. Before the interview, I left the hotel earlier than I should, but thanks to the traffic I arrived 5-10 minutes late, even though I used a GPS. I would recommend the other interviewers to request a limo, or leave the hotel at least 30 minutes earlier than they should.

I met with the recruiter in the beginning, and she gave me some preliminary information about the overall interview and she tried to give me some tips. She told me that i should keep my questions to the manager in the last meeting. Afterwards, I had three meetings with two managers and one senior engineer. First interview was a behavioral interview, and the manager asked a few questions about how i would handle situations by giving examples from my prior experiences. He asked me if i have any questions to him, but because of the little miscommunication between me and the recruiter, I told him that i don't have any questions. By the way, the behavioral meeting seemed to be the most important meeting in the whole process.

The second meeting was a technical meeting with the engineer, and he asked me questions to learn more about my database and programming skills. This meeting was the easiest and probably the least important one. The last interview was a business interview and the manager asked questions to learn more about my problem solving skills by asking how would i solve problems based on different scenarios. This was my favorite meeting overall and it was really fun.

After these meetings, I had a lunch with the recruiter and she showed me the Google campus and the facilities. Most importantly, i really liked to see Google workers were very happy and proud to work for Google. It was an exciting experience for me. After leaving the Google campus, I drove around the city to get a better sense of the location, and went to the airport. I had a very long sleep after this tiring experience. I woke up with the call from the recruiter and she told me that the result was negative.

Interview Question – Would you prefer to have new products through innovation or focus on your current main products? Please provide me some examples from your prior experiences to answer this question.   View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!