Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

3.3

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview after screening questions. Those questions were related to my background. The interviewer and recruiter were very helpful and kind during the whole process. The interview lasted one hour. It was not focused on the position and was more knowledge oriented. No questions about coping with stress, team working skills nor multitasking skills

Interview Questions

• Estimators for medians   Answer Question
  • A question about the best unbiased estimator for count data in two variables from the same population   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

Was referred by a friend. Got the interviews relatively quickly. First I had to answer a written questionnaire, then I had a technical interview over the phone where google docs were used to write code in. Thought I did fine in the phone interview, but they said they wanted someone with more experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Two perfunctory technical phone calls were followed by four interviews onsite at Google HQ. Several of those interviews, despite being onsite, were done via videoconference because the interviewers were unable or unwilling to be there in person. Interviewers declined to answer basic questions about their roles in any detail or even give their last names. At no time was any specific detail about the job (location, team) shared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who sent me a series of questions that I answered in print. After that I was contacted to set up a phone interview. A current quantitative analyst was the interviewer. She went right into the the interview questions and stopped right at 30 minutes. The interview consisted of technical statistical questions, a thought experiment, then time for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about logistical regression?   Answer Question
    • How would you derive a confidence interval from a series of coin tosses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I applied online. The same day a recruiter reached out asking to answer a few technical questions via email. A day after I had replied, I was told I was moving forward to a phone screening. This was a mix of SQL coding and probability questions. I don't think I did great, but good enough to be moved forward to a second phone screening. This one was much more heavily geared towards machine learning. Essentially I was presented with a scenario (a typical "a software engineer hands you over a dataset") and we spent most of the interview brainstorming about how to go about analyzing and eventually building a ML model out of the data. A couple of days later I was told I was invited to Google Headquarters. They had a specialist help me with travel arrangements. All very simple and smooth, even when I asked to make changes to my original plan. One thing you have got to make sure you pay attention to is that commute is horrible and you need plenty time to get from the hotel to Google. Even 10 miles can take 40 minutes. The onsite interview was very intense. These are 45 minutes back to back interviews, 100% technical with no frills such as intros, what his job is, do you have any questions. They covered pretty much everything from basic probability, to machine learning, to coding (I chose Python), to sampling, A/B testing, time series, SQL,... Most folks were nice, I only got one person who gave me the impression he hated to be in that room spending time interviewing. This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, yet the breadth of the knowledge makes it very difficult to prepare well. Some of these questions seem to be geared more towards newly grads. I got a couple of questions I would have nailed after I left college 10 years ago, but have not touched in a business setting for years. So, long story short, have your basics covered. The only thing I can complain of is the lack of time to ask questions. I literally had two people asking if I had questions while they were packing their stuff and leaving the room... One thing I was super impressed with was my HR person. Super friendly and helpful throughout.

Interview Questions

• You observe a sample of measurements coming from a fixed length ruler. If the object is shorter than the ruler you observe the actual measurement. Otherwise you observe the length of the ruler. What would be a good estimator of the ruler length?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

1 hour phone interview, begin with general introduction, followed by some technique questions, and the last 5 minute is Q and A section. The interviewer was quite patient and nice, gave a lot of hint

Interview Questions

• simple statistics, uniform distribution, sample size calculation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me by email and then schedule two rounds of phone interview. The questions are not that hard. The interviewer was also very nice and will give you some hints if you didnot answer it correctly. Later on, the recruiter gave me call to discuss the feedbacks from the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Some basic stats questions, like test, pdf, cdf of a distribution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview involved some statistics(comparing multiple samples to find the error) and some probability questions ( calculating the joined probability of three independent events) plus a coding question in R (related to the probability question).

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First, a very helpful recruiter contacted me and asked a few questions about my experience. After a few days, she said I could proceed to the second stage: a technical phone interview. I was interviewed by a random engineer from a random department. He asked about my background, and let me solve a probability problem. The question itself was not too hard, but I didn't do it very well (because I hadn't used it for many years).

Interview Questions

• A conditional probability (Bayes theorem) problem. About jars and coins.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Hiring process was very smooth, took less than 2 weeks to go through 5 interviews: 1 phone call and 4 on site interviews. Got feedback the same day after all interviews and the offer in less than 2 weeks since the initial interview. Recruiter and interviews were very professional and the interviews were not particularly hard, not the the famous "how many golf balls fit in a bus" type of questions.