Google

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

So when I saw the Ad online, I just applied and was not sure they would even respond since I know Google receives a lot of applications per day and I always assumed they had a bias for Ivy League schools. But Alas, 2 weeks later I received a call from a recruiter and she asked me a few questions but it did not take her long during that interview before she told me that she was putting me to the next round.

For the next phone call round, I talked to one of the guys in the team and he asked me a whole bunch of statistical questions and I was able to answer them all correctly. Got a call from the recruiter saying I made it to the round with the Hiring manager, again I had done my homework so I was able to quickly answer her questions and some were really hard statistical questions so I suggest you read the text book to familiarize yourself with statistical because they will ask you the 5 assumptions of logistic regression vs ols. Nailed it and moved on the final in person interview.

At the onsite interview I was interviewed by 5 people but within minutes I knew I did not stand a chance and I will explain why at the bottom. But firstly the 1st interviewer was nice , answered all questions quickly and correctly. The next interviewer was very cold, never smiled and had a background in PhD in statistics. Asked me a bunch of questions , answered them correctly and then he started asking me very hard mathematics questions which he started calculating on the white board, I didn't get one correctly and at the end of the interview I had to ask him why he was asking such hardcore mathematics questions when the job specifically indicated that it only needed minimal stats background. He said sorry, i just went on a tandem (but since i had missed one of his very hard questions I felt that was not fair). Next came a guy who was more interested in telling me how awesome he was , which country I came from and about his girlfriend (very unprofessional). But talking to this guy I could already see some hints of biases as he asked me which school I had gone to and to name some world renown professors in the department , when he had already told me he did not know my school, which by the way is one of the best public schools , top 10. Then he went on to talk about his professors at the Ivy league he went to etc. Quite unprofessional. The last interviewer was the hiring manager and she too asked very difficult statistical questions but I was able to answer them quickly , they require you to think on your toes. After I finished these interviews I knew I had done extremely well because these were statistical questions and I had answered almost all of them correctly except the hardcore mathematics equation question which had no reason to be in the interview. But as soon as I left I knew that the team would not hire me and he is why?

How do you stand a chance to be recruited when 4 of the interviewers are males and all 5 interviewers are white and they all have Ivy League backgrounds and although I go to a top 10 public school but still it's not Ivy League. The other 2 guys who made it to the top 3 onsite interviews were also white males from Ivy Leagues. I am sure that interviewer did not tell that he didn't know his school or to name a renown professor in their department. Google needs to change something seriously. I am not saying I didn't stand a chance because of my race or gender but you can tell by the types of questions you get that these interviewers are already biased towards ivy league e.g. One interviewer asking me to name some world renown professors in my department (did not understand the relevance of that to the interview) and then telling me, I don't like D.C (promixty of where the school is) and then proceeding to tell me that they thought my school was rural. Social Science studies predict that most people hire people who look like themselves and somewhat similar backgrounds to them. My recruiter told me that I did very well in the interviews and she herself could not understand why I was not picked but I will leave that to Google. All I am saying is that they should train their interviewers to have less bias towards none ivy league candidates because if you check on linkedin about 90% are ivy league. I got accepted to an Ivy League but could not accept the place because my parents are poor , so the fact that I went to a public school doesn't mean I am not as smart as someone who didn't attend an Ivy League school.

Interview Questions
  • They were all pretty easy to me and basic statistics questions. OLS vs. Logistic regression, multicollinearity etc   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

Applied online and got contacted by a technical recruiter. I had to fill about 13 questions first - i guess this was a kind of screening process. and she got back to me 2 weeks later saying that I will have a phone interview. In the phone interview, I answered questions but with the interviewer's hints. The recruiter got back to me a week later saying that she's not moving forward with me as they are looking for candidates with stronger problem solving skills.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

On-site interview at their London office. Had 3 interviews in total, 2 of them were video conferences. Each was 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice. They tried to gauge how much you know and if you don't know a particular area, they'll ask something easier. So it's hard to say how much I could have done more to land the job.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about GLM, how to deal with large number of variables, economic experiments   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2014.

Internal referred followed by two round of phone interviews. Both interviews focuses on technical questions. The first interview has lots of questions on the fundamental statistics models, such as regression models, experimental design. The questions are like typical exam problems, but requires quick instant responses. The second interview also fucused on statistical questions, but were asked in a practical context. The interviewer described several projects with me, and for each project he asked questions about how you would like to plan the project, what models would you use, what were the alternative choice you have, reasons you picked that model, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If you will propose a project in the quantitative marketing team, what will you propose and how will you plan the project?   View Answer
    Google offers a generous stipend for interns and I don't think there is any need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

Very awesome guys! 45 min per interviewer. They will ask you fundamental knowledge in statistics. You have to be very familiar with textbooks and react very very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • They go very deep into each question. You should be able to answer the first questions but the later the harder.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

I applied through an employee referral. Two recruiting managers contacted me after 10 days and I had two phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The first interviewer was very unfriendly and the second interviewer was friendly. Due to my statistics background, they both asked some statistical questions including design of experiments for an effective advertising campaign, comparison of two survey results, coding questions and how to handle multicollinearity in predictors and large dimensional data, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2009.

Submitted resume online. Sailed through a 1-hour technical phone interview. The question involved bayesian analysis of drug testing (determining false positive rate, etc). It's a classic and it hit my sweet spot. Easy.

Interview Questions
    • The on-site interviews were not so easy. One thing to note: I have 20 years of experience and a strong track record of getting results. The interviewers had zero interest in what I've done before. Instead it was white boarding all the way. Felt more like an old-school math class -- go to the board and solve this problem -- than a job interview. Toughest question? Honestly, this was 4 years ago and I don't recall precisely. I think it was how to determine mean standard deviation of two blended datasets for which you know their means and standard deviations (and maybe Ns) but for which you've lost the original data. Turns out it's a classic you'll probably encounter in first year statistics, but I hadn't thought about it in about 25 years and so stumbled.   View Answer
    • An ice cream shop wants to determine the probability of any random customer buying one of their three flavors, based on their historical data set.   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Get contacted by a recruiter to answer 13 questions on a questionnaires. Then a phone interview was scheduled. The identity of the interviewer was not told and he didn't introduce himself much unless you asked.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I got contacted by recruiter three months after submitting a resume and arranged a phone interview. The interviewer was nice and led me to answers. Most questions are about basic statistical concepts, especially the OLS assumptions and remedies for violation, hypothesis testing. He didn't ask anything about coding. The second interview was about open questions, for which she described a scenario and asked me about solutions. The part was hard for me. I had no idea what she was looking for, for some of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • If each of the two coefficient estimates in a regression model is statistically significant, do you expect the test of both together is still significant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

The hiring process was pretty smooth.
    Hiring manager resume screen then 4 onsite interviews. Technical questions related to my field were OK but I did not give correct answer for practical marketing questions.

Interview Questions
    • Choose one of products of Google, then explain your strategy to improve the product.   Answer Question