Google Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Very awesome guys! 45 min per interviewer. They will ask you fundamental knowledge in statistics. You have to be very familiar with textbooks and react very very quickly.

Interview Questions

• They go very deep into each question. You should be able to answer the first questions but the later the harder.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. Two recruiting managers contacted me after 10 days and I had two phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer was very unfriendly and the second interviewer was friendly. Due to my statistics background, they both asked some statistical questions including design of experiments for an effective advertising campaign, comparison of two survey results, coding questions and how to handle multicollinearity in predictors and large dimensional data, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Internal referred followed by two round of phone interviews. Both interviews focuses on technical questions. The first interview has lots of questions on the fundamental statistics models, such as regression models, experimental design. The questions are like typical exam problems, but requires quick instant responses. The second interview also fucused on statistical questions, but were asked in a practical context. The interviewer described several projects with me, and for each project he asked questions about how you would like to plan the project, what models would you use, what were the alternative choice you have, reasons you picked that model, etc.

Interview Questions

• If you will propose a project in the quantitative marketing team, what will you propose and how will you plan the project?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Google offers a generous stipend for interns and I don't think there is any need to negotiate.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

I got contacted by recruiter three months after submitting a resume and arranged a phone interview. The interviewer was nice and led me to answers. Most questions are about basic statistical concepts, especially the OLS assumptions and remedies for violation, hypothesis testing. He didn't ask anything about coding. The second interview was about open questions, for which she described a scenario and asked me about solutions. The part was hard for me. I had no idea what she was looking for, for some of the questions.

Interview Questions

• If each of the two coefficient estimates in a regression model is statistically significant, do you expect the test of both together is still significant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The hiring process was pretty smooth. Hiring manager resume screen then 4 onsite interviews. Technical questions related to my field were OK but I did not give correct answer for practical marketing questions.

Interview Questions

• Choose one of products of Google, then explain your strategy to improve the product.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview

Get contacted by a recruiter to answer 13 questions on a questionnaires. Then a phone interview was scheduled. The identity of the interviewer was not told and he didn't introduce himself much unless you asked.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

After a referral from a current employee, it was a long process (3 months). Long enough, in fact, that the job listing itself changed several times over the course of the process. An initial call from a recruiter, two (1hr.) technical phone interviews covering some basic data analysis, technologies, and relevant items from the resume. Invited to fly out for a on-site in Mountain View, involving 4 interviews with analysts from different business segments. Took a few weeks to get an answer after that.

Interview Questions

• There was one with 'what-if' questions involving how to analyze certain aspects of their business, including finding trends in ad bidding behavior and detecting contextual advertisers who were gaming the system. Open-ended enough that it wasn't clear if a right answer existed, but they may have had one in mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Google works with experienced and friendly recruiters. I'm glad that the interview process didn't really take so long and the recruiters tried to help from the beginning to the end of this process. First of all, the recruiter found my resume on their database as a good match with the position and contacted with me over the phone. In this conversation, she asked me a couple of questions about my background and tried to understand if i am really a good fit for this position. As this interview was successful, she arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager's questions were a mix of technical and practical knowledge. After the technical SQL question, he asked me a practical case question about using statistical modeling for decision making, and we brainstormed different scenarios based on my responses. Finally, they invited me to have a face-to-face interview in their headquarters. The travel company they work with was rude to me when i tried to reserve the flight ticket and the hotel. Hotel was a local hotel around that area, but I would expect from Google to provide the interviewers a better hotel to stay, because i could only sleep only for about 2 hours at this hotel before the interview and I felt very tired throughout the interview day. Before the interview, I left the hotel earlier than I should, but thanks to the traffic I arrived 5-10 minutes late, even though I used a GPS. I would recommend the other interviewers to request a limo, or leave the hotel at least 30 minutes earlier than they should. I met with the recruiter in the beginning, and she gave me some preliminary information about the overall interview and she tried to give me some tips. She told me that i should keep my questions to the manager in the last meeting. Afterwards, I had three meetings with two managers and one senior engineer. First interview was a behavioral interview, and the manager asked a few questions about how i would handle situations by giving examples from my prior experiences. He asked me if i have any questions to him, but because of the little miscommunication between me and the recruiter, I told him that i don't have any questions. By the way, the behavioral meeting seemed to be the most important meeting in the whole process. The second meeting was a technical meeting with the engineer, and he asked me questions to learn more about my database and programming skills. This meeting was the easiest and probably the least important one. The last interview was a business interview and the manager asked questions to learn more about my problem solving skills by asking how would i solve problems based on different scenarios. This was my favorite meeting overall and it was really fun. After these meetings, I had a lunch with the recruiter and she showed me the Google campus and the facilities. Most importantly, i really liked to see Google workers were very happy and proud to work for Google. It was an exciting experience for me. After leaving the Google campus, I drove around the city to get a better sense of the location, and went to the airport. I had a very long sleep after this tiring experience. I woke up with the call from the recruiter and she told me that the result was negative.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to have new products through innovation or focus on your current main products? Please provide me some examples from your prior experiences to answer this question.   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one long in person interview with 3 people, one remote video. They reached out to me directly after I submitted an interesting answer to an online interest survey sent to campus by their outreach team. The phone interviews were scheduled soon after followed by the in person interview. The first two were easy but the last one with remote video was trickier due to some video lag and lack of eye contact to connect with interviewee.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with recruiter online first, then group member, then on-site interview. Associates in the group were very friendly and the recruiter did an excellent job of keeping me updated on the process. My first two phone interviews went very well, and I let my recruiter know of a couple of days and times that would be convenient for me to interview on-site. She jumped at the opportunity and I had my on-site interview, which also went very well. Several of my interviewers said as much, and my recruiter told me that they liked me "a lot." However, I learned after the interview that the team was not sure if they were actually going to fill the position and that the position had been put "on hold." She very kindly kept in touch with me in the ensuing weeks until, ultimately, the department decided not to fill the position at all. I felt dismayed that Google took me in for an on-site interview for a position that had not yet been approved. Since I am already employed, I was taking a day off from work (and thus a day away from my bank for interviews- I waited two weeks to interview with another company that could have met with me on that day in order to put Google on my schedule). I felt that this was very inconsiderate. Perhaps if I had been a more inspiring candidate the story would have been different, but since this was a relatively entry level position and I am sure there were many very qualified applicants, I take what they said about deciding to leave the spot empty at face value.