Google

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in 2011 and didn't make it; tried again this year and was accepted after another onsite round. I was treated very well at every stage in the process, and my recruiter did a fantastic job of keeping me informed of my status. I thought my previous failed attempt might hurt my chances, but apparently it didn't.

Interview Question – One interview was a design conversation with no coding.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Even after approval by the hiring committee, It takes a while for an application to get through the various executive checkpoints. The offer was excellent; there was no need to negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

SWE

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in January 2009.

Interview Details – Very intense, mostly nice people, only technical questions. Because of two bad interviewers (out of 6) I didn't get an offer. The first one asked me a very specific question and wouldn't settle for anything but the best solution even if the question was hard enough to (IMHO) require previous knowledge to be solved. The second was simply impossible to understand: we waisted all of our time trying to understand his wacky question.

Interview Question – Write perfect code to generate all possible permutations of a string w/o repetitions and only using constant memory.   View Answers (6)

SWE

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of two rounds. First round were two phone interviews that lasted an hour each. I answered about 5 questions per person and things seemed fine. Then I was contacted by recruiter to set up a final round of interviews which was much easier.

Interview Question – Write mergesort   View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!