Google Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

1,016 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,016 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks. The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple: 1) Dynamic Programming 2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs) 3) Probability related programs 4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough 5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,... 6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up. 7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape. 8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought. 9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience. 10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math. 11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know. 12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too! Interview 1: Graph related question and super recursion Interview 2: Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel. Interview 3: Array and Tree related questions Interview 4: Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs. Interview 5: Dynamic programming, Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc. At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems). Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They warn you ahead of time that the interview process will take months but it was surprising nonetheless. The interviews were fun, I went through a pretty light phone screen with a recruiter, a more rigorous screening with an existing PM, and then three rounds of onsite interviews for one day. After about a week, I heard back from the company saying they would pass on me for now and re-apply, but they refused to give any feedback, which would have been helpful for upcoming interviews and to understand what I could work on if I should re-apply.

Interview Questions

• The NBA championships are about to happen and you produce merchandise showcasing the winning team--but, you don't know which team that will be. What do you produce and how much do you produce to dress the stadium visitors with merchandise?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

A Google recruiter emailed me out of the blue. After three times of declining (1 month) since I wasn't that interested, I was contacted again so I thought "heck, sure, I'll take an interview". One week later the flew me to Mountain View for the on site. (Gotta admit Google is very generous about the whole travel arrangements! Free hotels, flights, meals, car rentals, etc) The whole experience was very pleasant for the most part. Got the offer 1 week later. The entire process, from initial phone screen to when the offer was made, took two weeks. One thing I'd like to call out and hopefully someone from Google recruiting/interviewing committee would take note is that they perhaps could do a better job at training their interviewers, not just from a technical standpoint but also from other nom-technical ones, especially on "normal" common sense and human interactions. I know we here are all nerds and as such could be a little awkward, which I totally understand. But one particular interviewer made me extremely uncomfortable during the interview since he kept staring at me like there had been something weird on my face and made excessively long eyes contact. I had to look away multiple times. Even when I was explaining my solution which is ON THE WHITE BOARD, he still stared at my face. The person's questions were good and had indept follow-up. So while I'd say he is a good technical interviewer, I still couldn't get over the awkwardness. This is no doubt thr weirdest interview I've ever had. Another minor thing I forgot to mention is that Google make you stay with your host at ALL TIMES. Even when you need to go to the bathroom which could be right next door, the host would follow you and stand at the door waiting for you, which is a bit awkward when you're a woman and your host is not.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so no details here. But I can tell you if you review fundamental CS concepts(sorting,graphs, trees,etc) you should be fine. Just make sure you really understand what you are doing. I don't think they would ask you crazy questions on obscure data structures. Just basics problem solving skills. Also try to be original and honest when it comes to nom-technical questions, such as "why Google?". Don't try to be unique and make up some weird reason. Just tell the truth.   Answer Question

Wasn't sure I want to make a switch yet still love my current job

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had one video interview with the hiring manager – mostly behavioral questions followed by a second interview with a team member that was more technical. Focus on the 2nd interview was again on challenging behavioral type scenarios Note, they no longer ask their famous Google questions like number of manhole covers and piano tuners so dont waste time on those. Was then invited to Mountain View for a face to face. Their face to face interviews are typically with 4 people (their analysis has shown four to be the right number) and last half a day. I interviewed with the hiring manager, a business partner and they also always interview with an individual outside the function you are applying for. I was told a week later by the recruiter that my candidacy would not be considered further. Was unfortunately, never routed to the hiring Committee for decioning which is the last step of the process. From the get-go the recruiter explains that their hiring process is very fact-based and scientific. However at the end, the reasons for passing on me were very vague and ambiguous. I pressed for details but none came. For a scientific process, it sure felt like the final decision was very subjective (basically told my experience was in old economy type companies not new age Internet companies which is what they were looking for) Final point – you must nail every interview, don’t assume one interview is more important or significant then another; the hiring manager can love you but if one other individual doesn’t agree you are the right person, that person can stop the process dead in its tracks.

Interview Questions

• - Difficult colleague – how did you deal with it? - What’s your strategy in meeting objectives within a project with extremely tight deadlines? - Favorite Google product – how would you improve it? - Many questions from the CV (know your CV inside out)   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Interview

They reached out to me through my school email. I had one phone screen and then was brought on site in mountain view to have four in person interviews. Two in the morning, an off the record lunch with an engineer where I was encouraged to ask questions about life at Google, and then two more interviews after lunch.

Sales Vendor Operations Manager, Fiber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I recieved an email for an phone interview. Phone interview went well. Thereafter I was invited for an onsite interview at Mountain View. Flight, hotel and car is covered by comapny.You can expense all other stuff after interview process. Honestly the recruiter did a great job of preparing me. She was laid back and always checking in. I had 4 interviewers for a total of 5 hours. Half was video conferenced and other half was in person. The interview questions were not that tough. Most of the questions were around contact center strategy. I truly don't think Google know what they want in this role. They are still trying to figure out the strategy around opening Fiber.

Interview Questions

• Would you use the same vendor contact center for SMB and RES customers? How do you get your team focused or motivated? Tell me about yourself? Questions about the Google fiber rally (fiberhood). Tell me whar you know about Google Fiber? How will Fiber help our communities?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

1 interview w/recruiter, 5 interviews with team members. 3 first interviews were on the phone, 1 in person, 2 vc. The first interview went so well that we spoke for double the allocated time. The second interview was extremely intense, with questions flying in about every detail and I was unsure if I made the next round. The remaining interviews were straightforward with standard problem solving and team fit questions.

Interview Questions

• If you were a director at Google, would you partner or purchase [example] company?   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Applied online (no reference), got an email asking to schedule a phone screen two weeks later. Phone screen was very casual and enjoyable. Two weeks later got a call to schedule onsite interviews. Flew out to Mt. View, CA. A week after that. Met with 6 people total of three interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The conversation was halting and not fluid. I couldn't really get comfortable with the interviewer. His tone was a little distant and calculated. He asked questions and he took a lot of notes. I was told that note taking is normal, but it made it feel like I was talking to a distracted doctor versus having a conversation with someone.

Interview Questions

• If you were Product Manager of (unnamed product), how would you improve the functionality 10x of what it is now.   1 Answer