Google

3.5

819 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Recruiter( Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

Had an on site interview through employee referral. Had two 30 min back to back interviews. Both interviewers asked pretty standard questions. Mostly about my recruiting experience. The steps I have taken to improve the process at my current position. Questions such as, what skills are needed for some of the positions I fill at my current role. What do you think a CS Degree consists of? No brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think a Computer Science degree consists of ( the courses)   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

5 in-house technical interviews. 4 algo/coding and 1 design.

- strtok implementation
    - given set of characters duplicates possible, and given dictionary (list of words). Find longest word from dictionary that can be made from given characters. How will you do it if '*' (matches one wild character) is also included?
    - Access card system design
    - Implement a stack with find_min api as well.
    - Given set of points, find line with max points on it.
    - utf-8 byte stream verification and character extraction.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part is judging what interviewers want who don't talk that much and just keep on scrribling stuff down.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

it took about 2 weeks to process phone interview from submitting my resume. most of question were regarding my status and basic concept of data structure and algorithm. they asked me about only BASIC CONCEPT which are written in textbooks and looked like they wanted me to answer exactly the same answer in textbooks. when I tried to explain using examples, they asked me to usel very specific wording.

Interview Questions
    • nothing special, just typical interview questions which are more likely be in midterm exams   Answer Question

Content Review Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

A strange experience, for sure. I had been contacted by a recruiter and asked if I would be interested in the job. I was told that the job paid $18 per hour. I was a little surprised by this, but I do need a job, and I figured it might be a chance to get my foot in the door at this company and possibly work up to something better later. The job was listed as a 12-month contract. When I arrived for the interview, I found that every parking spot in the Google lot was filled. There were NO visitor parking spaces. I ended up parking about 2 blocks away on the street. My interviewer was a beautiful young lady. Her first question was "Do you have a résumé?". I did, and gave it to her. It seemed as if she hadn't read anything in advance about me, so I was a complete stranger to her. Her second question was "Why should we hire you?". Her next questions were whether I was willing to work any day, any hour of the year. Then she asked if I would be offended by nudity or offensive language. Then she asked if I had any questions. Basically, I had to ask about a job description, because she wasn't really offering me much information from her side. I told her that my understanding was that I was to review submittals from developers. I confirmed that I was to sit at a desktop terminal and read through applications for Google Play for eight hours a day. I asked how many people there were doing that, but didn't get a clear answer. I only got the impression that Google wants to be very responsive to their customers. The interview was over in 15 minutes. I have not heard back from them. I don't expect that they will provide me with any feedback as I think the process with them is pretty much one-way.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was whether I would be personally bothered by anything I might view on the internet, including nudity or offensive language. I was also surprised when they asked me if I would be willing to work any shift of the day, any day of the week, and working on holidays. Of course, the web never sleeps and there are people all over the world posting at all times of day and night, but I thought that Google might have people working regular work shifts in California.   Answer Question

Content Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

I submitted my resume on their website and was contacted by a recruter. During my 45 minute interview I was told Google had a few positions open with different teams and projects that I would be good for and was told Google hired people first, then let them *choose* the project or team they'd like to work for. I was even told, "We'd all have to fight for you, but it'd be your choice." In the end, they selected the team I should interview for and I found out 3 days before (by luck) that it was for a specific product I knew nothing about, so I crammed but wasn't nearly prepared enough for the depth of questions they wanted me to answer about the challenges the product faces. If you interview for a specific product, RESEARCH the heck out of it and do a competitive analysis on it.

Initially I did a 45 min phone screen which went well, nice guy, reasonable, kind. Google then flew me up for an onsite where I had six interviews, all back to back with not a sliver of time or space in between each interview. I was parched and exhausted after talking for literally six hours straight. Insanity.

Half my interviews were on Google Hangout, half were in person. I did a portfolio review to kick things off and was interrrupted the first minute I started speaking. Very harsh feedback and super critical right off the bat. It continued this way all through my 45 minute presentation, which left me a little rattled. Let me just say that I read "How Google Works" and was prepared for personality questions: What makes me different, why I want to work at Google, how I'm curious etc. But no questions about my personality, interests were asked.

All the questions/feedback were about why I chose certain words or made certain design decisions. Be prepared to defend and/or explain why you chose a certain verb or framing. Also, I was asked a lot of very specific questions about the product I was told I was interviewing for, which I studied for (background, challenges, competitors) but I was asked to draft copy/concepts on the spot to sell it. I personally don't produce well like that. I came up with some stuff, but I need some quiet time to think and brainstorm. Rarely does a creative soul produce on the spot like that completely dehydrated and exausted after a solid day's beating. Some of the interviewers were also arrogant or look bored or uninterested in the interviewing process.

At the end of my six back-to-back interviews, I was so tired by the overall arrogance and critical feedback. The interviews were very one-sided and interrogatory in nature. I knew that if I got an offer that I wouldn't want to work there. I missed really nice people in those 6 hours.

A note for the creative people reading this: Content writing doesn't seem to be looked upon favorably at Google. Voice and tone were never mentioned because from what I can tell, there is no voice or tone guidelines. A few of the writers I interviewed with hinted that the respect level is down, creative authority is minimal and that there isn't a ladder for the career path yet, which explains a lot compared to other places I've worked or interviewed for. Among the thousands of engineers and engineer-minded people at Google, it would seem there are better, more comfortable places for writers to settle in.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a feature in a product you really dislike, now sell it.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Super professional recruiters and interviewers. Interview was done by peer but could tell that I was on speakerphone and being interviewed by a committee. Very interesting questions in that they wanted to know who you are as a person.

Software Engineer University Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

I did an initial phone screen, but had difficulty scheduling a phone interview. However, through Grace Hopper, I was invited without phone interview to the Pre-Hop day in which I was interviewed by two people in the morning and two people in the afternoon. The coding questions themselves were not difficult though one interviewer was not entirely clear about what he was looking for. Another interviewer gave me too much help for a logic problem which made me wonder whether she thought I was not capable of solving it by myself. Other than that, it was a great experience to get to know employees.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to solve a brain teaser involving chess. I think it was something to do with start and end position.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

I applied online through Google's career website and was contacted by a recruiter in about a month of application. After a brief email conversation with the recruiter, a technical phone screen was scheduled. Post that, five on-site technical interviews were scheduled. An offer was extended within a week of the final on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • All aspects of information security were covered in the interviews. However, most of the questions were very broad in scope and open-ended.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

People are told up front that Google's hiring process is long. It takes a determined and committed person to subject themselves to the torture of waiting for an answer and next steps. However, once you get past the initial interview with the recruiter and the critical thinking test you are added as a viable candidate for consideration on future opportunities. The recruiters do a great job of keeping you informed regarding expectations and process. They also make an effort to give you the proper information to make sure you have a good experience and advice on how to market yourself.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult questions. If you are a truly qualified candidate it becomes more about finding a good personality fit for the team.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

1) Phone interview - simple, typical interview questions with a recruiter
    2) On-site interview - group interview with two employees
    Some of the questions asked
    - Why do you want to work at Google?
    - Describe a difficult situation with fellow employees or a boss.
    - What is the craziest thing you've done in your life?
    3) On-site interview- interview with two employees by myself.