Google Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

An introduction and then a coding question. That's it. No questions about who you are, resume, CS knowledge, NONE of the stuff in the syllabus they gave you. I just went in and started coding. Strangest "interview" I've done yet. The question was typical array/string manipulation you see everywhere but was really hard to understand.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me by email and then schedule two rounds of phone interview. The questions are not that hard. The interviewer was also very nice and will give you some hints if you didnot answer it correctly. Later on, the recruiter gave me call to discuss the feedbacks from the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Some basic stats questions, like test, pdf, cdf of a distribution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

coding and basic algorithmic questions during phone interview. then they invited for onsite interview. during onsite interview, it was mostly algorithmic questions with some coding. some of the questions were clever and rather difficult (one involved basic number theory, one was a very advanced algorithms question);. Then there were some open ended questions, where the goal is to observe the thinking process and suitability for team wide discussions.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Rejected after second phone interview. Seemed to me like communication between recruiter and interviewers is not the best. Take the info that interviewer provides you with the grain of salt; be prepared for everything.

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

At Google I was able to tell if I was going to get the job or not based on how long the process took. I say this because I was interviewed twice by Google 3 and a half months apart- both times a recruiter reached out to me to apply.

The first time, I was interviewed over a 6-7 week period. I had an initial screen with a recruiter, then a follow-up screen with a recruiter (they asked about my undergrad GPA, in addition to asking about my job history!) and then had an in-person Mountain View interview where I met with 5 people, some of them via video conference (which I had never done before and it felt weird then - now it's so natural). Then the next week I had a phone interview with a guy who was the head of a parallel group that my group would be working with. He called me 1/2 hour late, was rushed, apologized profusely, and while I felt good about that phone interview, I felt it would have been far better in person and the phone guy seemed rushed and didn't have it all together - I had a feeling he might be a bit biased against me because he felt chagrined about being late and he associated that discomfiture feeling to my interview. After that final interview I didn't hear back for two weeks so I suspected maybe I didn't get the job. And no, I didn't get the job. But it was a really successful set of interviews overall and I had a good feeling about it throughout the process. I was sad when I didn't get the offer, but I was working somewhere I really liked already, and was just flattered that Google had reached out at all. At least their call made me put together a resume, something I hadn't done in some years.

The second time I was interviewed, the same recruiter called back 3 months later, and said the group that had really liked me the first time but had given the job to someone else really wanted me to apply for this position again and would I consider interviewing for the same position but now it was in a different group and I'd have to interview with different people. I said sure. That time around, I again had another phone interview (after the initial phone consult), then another day of interviews with 6 people. I again felt good about the interview -the difference is this time I got an offer within a few days of the final interview. Yay!

It's amazing how much validation even getting an interview with Google gives you internally (how you view yourself I mean) - to get the job offer was something beyond my wildest dreams.

Now that I'm at Google, I really love my job. It took some time to get to know my job well, especially that first year, and the legal department can sometimes seem a little cliquely when you first join it but that will go away with time (there are people who have worked together for years there and it's hard to break in sometimes)- but I don't think there is another workplace that comes close to it in terms of how it looks out for its employees, and in terms of the intellectual challenges that my job gives me, and I highly recommend it.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the interview questions at all - and these differed anyway depending on whether you're seeking a product counsel or commercial counsel position.

But I would encourage you to be yourself, don't worry about dressing to fit in, just wear what makes you comfortable (since that is going to help you think better anyway), and answer questions thoughtfully.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Long and unpleasant. The recruiters never returned calls or emails to answer my questions, time between interviews was long and they didn't keep me updated on the status of my interviews. They said they would answer any questions I had during the process, but they didn't. The recruiters were in a rush to talk with me, didn't keep scheduled times and didn't answer questions.

Business Operations and Strategy Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minute HR screen
    1st round: 1 hr case interview with an Biz Ops Analyst over video chat (Google Hangout)
    2nd round: 3 interviews on site with Associate, Principal and Director (1 hr each)
    3rd round: 2 interviews with Principal and Director (1 hr each)
    4th round: 1 hr interview with VP

All interviews consist of behavioral and case questions (similar to consulting)

Interview Questions

• What Google products do you use? Why do you like them?
      What Google products to you dislike? Why
      Where do you get your tech news?
      Why Google? Why Biz Ops?
      Why do you think Google is investing so much in its moonshot projects?
      Tell me about yourself

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Head hunted by Google. I had to two phone interviews, one by HR and then a second by a product manager. Passed both, so invited to Mountain View for several hours of interviews. Second interview and onsite interviews were almost all the same as detailed by others on Glassdoor, so I am not going to repeat it. I did not get an offers--HR person that contacted me said the software development manager that interviewed me did not find me technical enough. I was a software engineer for 15 years before going into product management, so to get a thumbs up from their product manager and a thumbs down from the software development manager was exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize an algorithm to ensure that no duplicate data was being stored on Google servers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very friendly recruiter and interviewers. One telephone interview and Five rounds interview at onsite. Got back very fast with results. All interviewers were friendly and helpful. Most questions can be found at careercup. Prepare well for dynamic programming questions and recursion based questions as they will mostly be asked in the interviews

Interview Questions

• Five rounds interview at onsite

dynamic programming, 2D array, find least distance between 2 nodes in a binary tree, return a random node from a binary tree

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruited and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview.
    45 minute phone interview was fairly easy if you know data structures and algorithms
    Followed by a phone interview by a recruiter who invite you out to their facilities
    4 45 minute interviews followed along with a lunch "interview" after the second interview
    Two of the interviews were in one room and the other two were across the building in another

Interview Questions

• They were fairly straight forward. Know recursion, binary search, linked lists, and test scenarios. One of the 4 questions was really hard the rest were fairly straight forward   Answer Question