Google

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initially, the recruiter contacted me for a phone screen. Then scheduled a google hangout interview with a technical account manager. Received a reject email few days after the interview. The interview consists of Algorithms ; web programming ; behavioral questions. Nothing was hard. Many questions were not very technical.

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – following the initial recruiter outreach there was a call w the hiring manager, a trip to MTV where I met with 5-6 ppl, then three panel reviews / approvals.

Interview Question – most of my interviews were conversational, i was passionate about the subject matter so the flow was easy and even fun. the reality is there are no wrong responses - its just them understanding how you think. really research before you go - then just be yourself and remember it has to be a fit on both sides - you are interviewing them too.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i showed the offer to a friend who is in HR for a global brand - he said it was excellent and to sit tight.

Strategist Product Quality Operations Interview

Strategist Product Quality Operations
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The entire process was very positive. The first interview was a phone screening with the recruiter. Followed by a Hangout interview with a manager on the team. He asked a couple questions about how I would design a system and also behavioral questions such as how had I handled a conflict with a coworker. Afterwards I was invited for an onsite interview where I spoke with three different managers from the department. They asked questions mostly about how I would design things and a couple managers did ask about my resume. Each person was quite friendly and laid back. However, it felt strictly business though and there was no tour of the facility. Though they were hospitable and offered snacks/drinks. The final interview was another Hangout interview with the overall lead. When it came time to negotiate with the recruiters they would not budge on salary or department. Even though I expressed some concern initially that the role seemed less technical than what I had desired. After I originally declined the offer they asked that I think over it some more, after which they offered to see if another department were willing to hire me. At that point it was for a department with a manager I did not meet during the interview process which made it difficult to determine if it would really be a good fit. I ultimately declined. My company countered on salary when they heard about the offer and I was already in a challenging and pleasurable work environment. It didn't seem worth the trouble to relocate and displace my spouse's employment to take a risk on a less technical role with effectively less buying power salary wise.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a spam filter for gmail, how would you go about creating such a system?   Answer Question
  • How would you go about creating a recommendation engine for Google Play?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was very happy at my current company and the decision was quite difficult. Ultimately it came down to the fact that my current responsibilities were more technical in nature than the position at Google seemed to be. I had considered for a time in taking the role in the hopes to step back into a more technical role down the line but when adjusted for cost of living the base salary my company offered was more than what Google was willing to provide.

Enterprise Partner Manager Interview

Enterprise Partner Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me first. then phone interview was set up with a marketing manager. The last step was on site interview with 4 people for 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – There were a lot real case scenarios.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a junior recruiter to come in and interview fro a sr. level recruiting position. Spent fours with four different people. A few days after the interviews I contacted the recruiter...no response. A week after the interviews I contacted the recruiter...no response. A two weeks after the interviews I contacted the recruiter...no response. Have never heard back.....nice customer service.

Interview Question – The questions were all related to the process of recruiting, which is broken at Google.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Algorithm and design a ranking system

Interview Question – Design a ping-pong ranking system   View Answers (5)

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter on campus. The first round is an easy phone interview with five pretty straight forward question. Two weeks later then the onsite interview, consisting of five technical interview problems. Be nice to your recruiter since he/she will keep track of all the processes for your job application.

Interview Question – 1. Design a data structure that insert, remove, search and get random element all in O(1) time.
2. Design a bidirectional map using the generics.
  Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Standard Process. A phone screen by recruiter followed by phone screen with a couple of product managers. After that got an invite to come onsite. Had 5 gruelling interviews ( 3 PMs, 1 behavioral with a Director of PM, 1 engineer ). They get you to lunch with one of the PMs and the lunch is fairly casual which gives you a glimpse of the famous 'free google food' Those candidates will succeed who practice and stick to an enterpreneurial mindset day in and day out. Its not something that you practice, prepare and acquire overnight or even in a few months. This was my second shot, I felt optimistic but unfortunately i did not make it.

Questions :

1) concept to design - how would you build X for Y kind of people?

2) Strategic - what would you do if u were the CEO of X?What is the next big thing that you would design for XYZ company?

3) Sizing/estimation/consulting case type questions - if you build xyz product what is the market size like and how much? key here is to make assumptions, think details and incorporate them..

4) Puzzles - i got a couple of them....imagine u are on an island and....or u hav a billion numbers and...

5) behavioral - i did not encounter them when i interviewed at google a few years back...seems like Google is changing its approach towards a more rounded up interview process

6) engineering/CS - this does require a solid CS Foundation...didn't help that it came towards the end of a long and tiring day...last time around i also got Big( O ) estimation problems thrown at me..

Tips:

1. Use the whiteboard to articulate and frame your thoughts and go through the problem solving process...what you should be thinking of is to come up with a framework for the answer instead of jumping rightaway to a nice well rounded andswer..google wants to see your framework not your final answer....
also my big takeaway from the interview (even though i didnt get the job) was this framework building process could be used beyond this interview even in my day to day work with great results

2. Have a 'recursive approach' - which means when given a problem with which you are absolutely stumped, try to think of the simplest 'base' case...scale it slightly...observe the pattern and come up with an insight...if you have 7 bullets in a gun kinda problem try to think of it in terms of 1-2 bullets in a gun scale...figure out the pattern for the smaller problem and that is the key to the larger problem as well...

3. be creative, think about the status qou and whats wrong and what you would like to change..whether its google's products or a competitors...

4. Keep your calm...this is the most most important of all...remember to simply slow down since your heart rate will be 2x the normal...

At all times, Google's followup was very professional...u will learn of how you fared in 1 or 2 weeks and the recruiter was exceptionally considerate in reaching out to me at intervals and letting me know where the process was...a far cry from some of the other behemoths in the valley who do not even bother to acknowledge your onsite visit to them....

Associate Account Strategist, SMB Sales Interview

Associate Account Strategist, SMB Sales
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – First off, let me say that I applied via the website without an internal referral and got a response the very next day, so the "Google application black hole" is definitely not true. Here's a rundown of my interview experience:

Phase 1: Basic phone interview with my recruiter for 15-20ish minutes. I was asked why google, why this role, how would you explain adwords to a 5 year old (not a trick question! They just want to make sure you have at least a basic understanding of what adwords is), and a "tell me a time when..." question.

Phase 2: About a week after my phone screen, I was schedules for 2 back-to-back 30 minute phone calls. I will say this phase, as well as phase 3 were probably a little different for me because I have past sales experience. These two phone screens were pretty much entirely situational questions with a few "tell me a time when..." questions. I would probably say 80%/20% was the breakdown. I think seeing from my resume that I come from a background in sales caused them to ask more situational questions. For example, I was asked questions such as "say your response rate from clients is low, what steps would you take to make sure you're getting through to more clients on the phone/email?" and "lets say you are working with a flower shop, what is one feature of adwords you would really sell them on?" Things like that. Needless to say, make sure you know the ins and outs of adwords (easy enough however, because google's website is full of information; I never worked with adwords before this, and I did fine).

Phase 3: The day after my phone interview, I was emailed and invited on site. This interview happened roughly a week and a half later. Google was great with all the logistics. They had their travel agency book everything for me, and covered my taxi rides, and gave me a food stipend. My onsite interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 30 minute interviews and a 30 minute Q&A session with my recruiter after. The interviews were basically the same as the phone interviews. However, I have a strong feeling that my phone interviewers let these ones know they asked me mostly situational questions, because during onsite, I didn't get asked any situational. In fact, I didn't get asked about adwords at all, which I found interesting. Mine were all "I see from your resume that you worked ______. Can you tell me a time where you ______ at company _____?" I did however get one curveball question which was "If you were CEO for a day, what product would you create?" This doesn't need to be technical! Mine wasn't and my answer was fine.

I eventually got a call 2 weeks later saying I got the job.

Some tips:

-For the most part, I found that my interviewers asked questions based on what I had just said (i.e. they diverted from their script). So in a way, you can definitely steer the interview. Like I said, I came from a sales background, and talked a lot about that, which left almost no time for them to ask "out of the box" questions, because they kept diving deeper into my
experience.

-Google said they got rid of the "typical" Google questions (i.e. "why are manhole covers round?"), but they didn't. A few people in my interview group said they got asked a few. So just be aware of this and stay on your toes.

-30 minutes goes by really quickly, so make sure you get across what you want to in that short time frame and don't ramble. All of my interviews felt like they lasted 15 minutes.

Interview Question – Let's say you are working with a bakery. What 3 Google items would you sell them on?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Professional and friendly. Combination of behavioral and hypothetical questions. Understand Google's products before going into the interview. Despite how much prep you do, interviewers will find a way to have questions that are unexpected. You should be able to articulate your framework for planning events and managing logistics for large gatherings of people.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on whether or not individuals should be required to use their official name when opening a gmail or Google + account?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google