Google Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.6

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Extremely fun and engaging experience that was totally worth it! Definitely the best interview process yet. Some people may find it difficult because the broad topics that were covered but the interviewers are really there to help you along.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interviewer called in and ask background, describe recent project. It lasts about 15 mins. The question was hard (lots of details to attend), and 30 mins is not easy to finish without bug. At the end she asks me if i have any questions. The interview finished 5 mins late, and she was nice and did not stop me immediately after 45 mins

Interview Questions

• Given a long string, and a width, parse the string return an array list containing string that shorter or equal to the given width; if multiple spaces left, split them equally   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. It was a very strange experience. The interviewer didn't say much, total of 5 sentences for the entire interview, didn't even told me their name. Asked me the difference between an ArrayList and LinkedList. Next asked me the question below. I tried to use a Range Tree to solve but he interrupted me and asked me to write a brute force solution instead.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array [0-99]
      With input: [1, 5, 45, 86]
      Write a function that prints the empty regions, example Output: “0,2-4,6-44,46-85,87-99”

3 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Was called by a current Senior Product Manager from Google on the phone. Spent around 30 minutes going over my experience and recent projects. Then spent the remaining 30 minutes discussing how I would further develop Nest thermostat as a platform.

Overall the interviewer was very friendly. He was very open about his current position in Google and work culture in general.

Interview Questions

• Which features would you add to Nest thermostat to make it more like a platform   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online on google website and was contacted by recruiter directly from Google. She was very helpful and thorough in the steps involved. She also sent me separate email on how to prepare (not that specific). She asked my availability for a phone screen in next 3 weeks.
    The interview was 45 mins and consisted of one situation question and then 2 coding questions. Might have been more, if I actually solved the tree one. Also you are expected to write the test cases after your implementation.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree (The way it looks). Print root, then print nodes at height 1, then nodes at 2, and so on..   Answer Question
    • Convert string "1234" into a number without using library functions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a googler. I must admit that google is really efficient because a recruiter contacted me just one day after I got the referral confirmation email.

I was required to provide an unofficial transcript(yeah, I'm a new grad). My phone interview was scheduled two weeks later.

I failed in the phone interview. It's really weird that the recruiter didn't send me a rejection email but instead emailed me to schedule a phone call to tell me the result! I heard that many recruiters from google told candidates bad results in this way. Maybe it's a way which google thinks could give candidates enough respect. But It made me feel really bad to hear "Unfortunately, bla bla bla" through a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Data structure and algorithm questions related to sorting and priority queue.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I did not apply for the position. I was approached by a Google sourcer on LinkedIn and we setup a time for a very quick phone call. After the call he requested a current copy of my resume along with my availability for phone interview. A recruiter then sent me an email with the time for the interview. I was then phoned by a product manager for 45 minute interview. Finally I received the rejection email from the recruited within 24 hours of the interview.

Interview Questions

• All questions were product/market based questions. Name your top 5 favorite mobile apps, why do you like them? Who should Google acquire? Design a product. There were no behavioral or work history questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

After an informative interview with a recruiter who found me on LinkedIn, I had one fairly easy phone screen who asked me a philosophical question about AI (I have a Philosophy background) and a technical question. After passing this round, I had four one-on-one one hour interviews on-site in Seattle. They weren't incredibly hard, but it was my first interview out of college and I didn't do well in two of them.

Interview Questions

• Can't go into specifics, but surprisingly no questions regarding Hash Tables. Almost all of them involved recursion, and one interviewer asked me a math question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. They flew me across the country to the office I was interested in and I got the standard sort of interview questions you've heard all about by now. The office seemed really nice, although not as over the top as the Mountain View one. My interviewers seemed smart and interested. They did a great job of making sure everything went smoothly. I heard back quickly saying I'd missed it by a hair :(.

Interview Questions

• They like recursive search questions. Be prepared for a recursive search question, because you'll almost definitely be asked one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

After a career fair at my school I talked to the Google recruiter, who suggested I apply online within the next few days to be eligible for an on-campus interview in a few weeks. A recruiter contacted me 10 days later for a technical phone screen--seems I didn't make the on-campus interview. I arranged a for a phone interview, to take place in 5 days' time.

The phone interview stretched on for >45 minutes. Connection wasn't very good. I was asked about experience, general knowledge, and two coding problems, one easier, one harder. On the easier problem I had to re-imagine the algorithm twice to get a time complexity the interviewer was satisfied with. On the second problem I got stuck for a few minutes on an off-by-one error.

Recruiter called me later offering an onsite interview. I asked to be interviewed for the Seattle/Kirkland office so she transferred me to a different recruiter who handles that location. I scheduled the onsite as soon as I could (in about 2 weeks' time) because I had a deadline for another offer. Both recruiters were understanding and gave me prompt responses.

The onsite was four technical interviews, each an hour long, with an hour-long lunch break in between. All five interviewers asked if I had questions, so by the end of the day I was grasping at straws for any new questions to ask.

Each technical interview had two whiteboard coding questions of about equal difficulty. (On interviewer asked three coding questions, but the first was just a warm-up.) On two interviews I answered all questions before time ran out. On one interview, the interviewer made me realize the function I had just coded up wouldn't solve the problem, right as time ran out. I held him back for a few seconds as I drew out the correct solution on the board for him. On the last interview, the time ran out before I could code up the answer to the problem. It was all data structures and algorithms with no architecture questions, but that's probably because I was a new grad.

One interviewer was friendly and enthusiastic. Two of them were pretty withdrawn, so I had no idea whether they liked what I was doing or not. The last one was blunt and quick to tell me when I was doing something wrong, but he also never brushed off my questions or weird algorithm ideas. Two weeks after the onsite interview, I got an offer for after graduation.

I feel like coding interviews are just as much psychological as they are technical. You have to keep a cool head during a stressful situation and accept criticism with good grace. You also have to be able to communicate your ideas really quickly and effectively. I drew out diagrams on the whiteboard as I was brainstorming--having visual aids really helps.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised when the first thing they asked about was the prior experience on my resume. I was expecting only technical questions and hadn't brushed up on my past projects.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My offer was the standard package for new grads. I tried to negotiate a signing bonus and learned those were normally only offered to new grads in the Mountain View office. I didn't have competitive offers to negotiate with so I accepted as-is.