Google Interview Questions & Reviews in Seattle, WA

3.6

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Google contacted me and told me that they were looking for developers in the Bay Area and New York City. Their internal recruiter set up an interview with one of their developers.

The interview was on the phone, as well as via a google docs. The interviewer did not know how to start the interview, so I asked "do you want me to tell you about projects I am currently working?" He said that was a good idea, but I could tell he was not listening because he was eating. I'm serious. Turns out he was 23 years old, and it was obvious he did not want to be doing the interview.

He asked a couple of puzzle-type coding questions, which I kind of flubbed, but I talked through the problems and data-structures. I didn't find the cute coding "trick" he was looking for obviously and told me I should interview for a tester position -- because Google is looking for "hard-core" programmers.

While I've been writing software for over 17 years, I have never tested software -- but he didn't know that because, well, he never looked at my resume.

I thanked him for his time, and asked him what product he worked on: Google Chat.I do not think that product exists anymore.

Overall: Unprofessional, rude, condescending, slightly humiliating, irritating.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected that he didn't actually ask any real questions --they just want puzzle-solvers.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

A recruiter contacted me, mentioning he is following up with past CodeJam participants. While I am not really intending to change jobs at this point, I decided to take an interview. I talked with him on the phone and he asked simple questions (e.g., experience in developing mobile apps, intention to move to California, etc.). He introduced me another recruiter who is in Seattle. I talked with her on the phone and she scheduled an onsite interview at the Seattle office. I didn't have phone interviews, possibly because I have passed through ones in the past (rejected at onsite), or possibly because I'm currently working in Seattle and they don't need to reimburse for transportation and lodging.

I had interviews with 5 engineers (+1 engineer for lunch). Questions were rather simple and with moderate difficulty. While I thought I did well on the questions, the recruiter called me a week after the interview and told me that the hiring committee decided not make an offer. As other people also say, they don't give me any feedback, but the recruiter mentioned it was "close", though I don't know if she actually had detailed information about my interview.

What's frustrating and made me feel negative about the process is that they do not give me any feedback. I don't even know if it was because of my performance at the interview or because of my past experience (I'm not a software engineer right now and coding is not my main job responsibility). I explicitly asked this point to the recruiter but she didn't clarify. I'm suspecting it's the latter and if that's the case, this whole process was totally a waste of time, but I never know.

Another reason for my negative feeling is that the recruiter left a message on my home phone saying that she needs to follow-up about the interview. The fact I was taking an interview was secret to my family and I've repeatedly asked the recruiter not to call my home phone, but she didn't care about that. This has brought a situation in my family, even bigger than the fact that I was rejected. Recruiters should be more careful about each candidate's privacy, though failed candidates may not be important to them.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA and cannot disclose questions. However in my case, there were no complicated questions. I could choose to code either on a Chromebook or on the whiteboard.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

I applied via the website and received a call from HR within 5 days. The next step was a phone interview with a person in a similar job role. We discussed different methodologies in use at Google. Next HR called back to schedule an onsite interview in Mt View - this took about 10 days. On site interview began with a portfolio presentation and 5 45-minute 1:1 interviews. I also met with another researcher for lunch.

I had to wait 1 week to get feedback from the onsite. Lastly I had a phone call with the hiring manager in Seattle. After I indicated I was interested in moving forward. They checked my references and put together a packet for executive review. I had a job offer 1 week later. They were kind enough to call me at 10pm on a Thursday to let me know - rather than make me sweat it out another day.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to define some metrics for measuring fun and satisfaction for a mobile maps product. How would I collect the data etc...   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Quite frankly I was blown away by the offer and happy to accept.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Google called me to see if I was interested in part time remote consulting, 3-5 hour per week in a vertical market with which I have expertise. They requested interviews. I inquired as to the feasibility of conducting the interview over teleconference. They preferred me fly to Seattle (I live in Eastern time zone). They made me pay for all travel expenses up front out of my pocket. I interviewed with Sven people, 30 minutes each. Four of the seven were not in Seattle and I interviewed using a video link.

Then they took twice as long as promised to give me an answer. They chose not to hire me and would not disclose a reason. My interview was two and a half months ago, expenses were submitted eight days after the interviews. I am still waiting to be reimbursed despite weekly apologies and more empty promises.

All in all a very unsatisfying experience

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

I applied online at the Google jobs website. I was contacted by a recruiter and was invited to do a back to back interviews at Google. I initially had a phone conversation with the recruiter about the Google interview process. I heard back from the recruiter about a week after the back to back interview.

Interview Questions
    • Build a pseudorandom maze. Write a method to deep copy a graph. Given an n x n matrix of numbers, how do I find a number?   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

Initial contact with recruiter via email; I had been contacted in the past and finally replied to a follow-up. I was able to skip the phone screen due to experience level and internal Google references. I had five on-site hour long interviews and a lunch interview/chat. The recruiter was good at follow-up and keeping me up to date on the status of everything. I highly recommend their "practice" sessions that are offered periodically to those scheduled for on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult: a question involving deep knowledge of map-reduce infrastructure; my background clearly showed that I did not have experience in that area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Very responsive and on time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too special. Just some general software engineer questions.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Contacted by recruiter in Jan and started to schedule my phone interview.
    1st one cancelled on me like 30 mins before the call, 2nd one even didn't bother to call me - it turns out to be her last day at Google (and i was told by recruiter the 2 days after that fact...)
    3rd one - late to the call like 8 mins - which made me almost think that I wouldn't get the phone interview call again.

It was the most awkward phone interview process I'd even experienced. This wasted 2+ weeks.

Interview Questions
    • - What's your most visited websites, what's good/bad, how to improve.
      - What's a good design you've seen, how to improve
        View Answers (2)

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Typical Interview process from what I've read - started with an online app, was contacted by a recruiter, set up a phone interview. The interview was strictly 45 minutes and I needed a computer with internet access in front of me. I had to speak through a chosen project from my portfolio (that the interviewer had obviously previously looked at) while we both looked at it on my website. Then I had to pick a Google service/product to critique, followed by a Q&A session.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose this is my own fault, but I have a multidisciplinary background so when I was critiquing the Google service I kept going on "tangents" as I spoke through my thought process and I think this frustrated my interviewer and it looked like I wasn't focused on the interaction because I was also speaking about the visual design, design features, and interconnectivity with other Google services. (But those totally influence how a user interacts with a site...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

They are very, very thorough. Be prepared to pull out your old data-structures and algorithms book for this one. Some of the interviewers are cool, some are hard-lined dicks. But you'll get to interview with 4 different people so it'll run the gamut. Even if you're really good there's no guarantee as they have so much churn.

Interview Questions
    • Writing a binary search tree. Have to remember all the details of things like that which I haven't touched in 10 years. Study, study, study...   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!