Google

Getting the Interview

61 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online at the Google jobs website. I was contacted by a recruiter and was invited to do a back to back interviews at Google. I initially had a phone conversation with the recruiter about the Google interview process. I heard back from the recruiter about a week after the back to back interview.

Interview Question – Build a pseudorandom maze. Write a method to deep copy a graph. Given an n x n matrix of numbers, how do I find a number?   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Initial contact with recruiter via email; I had been contacted in the past and finally replied to a follow-up. I was able to skip the phone screen due to experience level and internal Google references. I had five on-site hour long interviews and a lunch interview/chat. The recruiter was good at follow-up and keeping me up to date on the status of everything. I highly recommend their "practice" sessions that are offered periodically to those scheduled for on-site interviews.

Interview Question – Most difficult: a question involving deep knowledge of map-reduce infrastructure; my background clearly showed that I did not have experience in that area.   Answer Question

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me via linkedin and started the process. He was responsive and helpful in figuring out the logistics. Did two phone interviews initially and then a full day of interviews at the google campus. Everyone I spoke to was cordial and patient as I was working through the solutions.

Interview Question – Most questions were related to general data structures and graph algorithms.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – Very responsive and on time.

Interview Question – Nothing too special. Just some general software engineer questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview Details – The process was very long. A few phone interviews followed by an all day on-site. Very comprehensive interviews.

Interview Question – Deep programming questions, large scale systems design details.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Seattle, WA

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter in Jan and started to schedule my phone interview.
1st one cancelled on me like 30 mins before the call, 2nd one even didn't bother to call me - it turns out to be her last day at Google (and i was told by recruiter the 2 days after that fact...)
3rd one - late to the call like 8 mins - which made me almost think that I wouldn't get the phone interview call again.

It was the most awkward phone interview process I'd even experienced. This wasted 2+ weeks.

Interview Question – - What's your most visited websites, what's good/bad, how to improve.
- What's a good design you've seen, how to improve
  View Answers (2)

Systems Administrator Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred in by an external recruiting firm. A week or so later, they informed me that Google wanted me to come in for an approximately 4-hour interview. The position was in Washington, within a lab-like group which may be inappropriate to specify here. It would have drawn on background experience in combined areas of system, network and security administration.

The interview consisted of three one-on-one interviews with potential team-mates, with lead-in and follow-up conversations with the hiring manager. As far as one can tell in that sort of time-frame, all of them seemed like they'd be great to work with (or for). The interview spanned lunch, and four of us ate in one of the on-site (free) cafeterias. The discernible corporate culture at that location included some fairly open floor-plans with various motifs and/or amenities seemingly aimed at stimulating creative minds.

Though they opted not to bring me on board, I'd certainly apply again if another position in that group opened up in the future and if I'd gained relevant experience in the meantime.

From notification of interview to notification of "non-selection", the entire process took exactly three weeks.

Interview Question – A great question that I simply went brain-dead on involved ball-parking the transfer rate on a specific category of network traffic traversing a relevant path.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Typical Interview process from what I've read - started with an online app, was contacted by a recruiter, set up a phone interview. The interview was strictly 45 minutes and I needed a computer with internet access in front of me. I had to speak through a chosen project from my portfolio (that the interviewer had obviously previously looked at) while we both looked at it on my website. Then I had to pick a Google service/product to critique, followed by a Q&A session.

Interview Question – I suppose this is my own fault, but I have a multidisciplinary background so when I was critiquing the Google service I kept going on "tangents" as I spoke through my thought process and I think this frustrated my interviewer and it looked like I wasn't focused on the interaction because I was also speaking about the visual design, design features, and interconnectivity with other Google services. (But those totally influence how a user interacts with a site...)   Answer Question

Visual Data Specialist Interview

Bothell, WA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process involved two different hiring managers, back to back interviews in the same day. They ask questions about repetitive processes, changing policies, your weaknesses, if you prefer team or solo, projects you may have be unsuccessful with...

Interview Question – What would you add to Google Maps?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – They are very, very thorough. Be prepared to pull out your old data-structures and algorithms book for this one. Some of the interviewers are cool, some are hard-lined dicks. But you'll get to interview with 4 different people so it'll run the gamut. Even if you're really good there's no guarantee as they have so much churn.

Interview Question – Writing a binary search tree. Have to remember all the details of things like that which I haven't touched in 10 years. Study, study, study...   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice in Seattle, WA. All 61 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.