Google Security Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

I applied online through Google's career website and was contacted by a recruiter in about a month of application. After a brief email conversation with the recruiter, a technical phone screen was scheduled. Post that, five on-site technical interviews were scheduled. An offer was extended within a week of the final on-site interview.

Interview Questions
  • All aspects of information security were covered in the interviews. However, most of the questions were very broad in scope and open-ended.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in June 2014.

Was approached via LinkedIn, had a phone screen, technical phone interview, and an on-site interview. The lack of detail in the job description made preparation difficult. Not sure if interviewers are really hearing you, as they are buried in their laptop to record your responses. The experience was impersonal and dehumanizing. I think they take "resource" too literal with the human aspect.

Interview Questions
    • Questions tend to be vague and broad in scope. They want you to demonstrate depth and breadth of knowledge, or watch you hang yourself trying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Had one phone screen, two phone interviews, and an onsite interview (4 interviews and a lunch meeting) - each were around 45 minutes to an hour. Entire process from start to finish took about 3 months. Anytime I had any concerns about time or wanted an update I just sent an email to my recruiter and got a response back within 24 hours (except on weekends). My recruiter was incredibly polite/pleasant to talk with, and made the entire process as stress-free as humanly possible.

Interview Questions
    • Revealing questions in the interview process for Google is strictly prohibited. I will say that I had heard from folks that had interviewed with Google that interviews for all technical positions were heavily programming-based; although programming knowledge is definitely a must for working there, it was definitely not the end-all be-all questions-wise for my interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in August 2010.

Phone interview for security position. Interviewer was looking for entry-level operations staff. I didn't get the impression that he was willing to go out of his way to look for other opportunities for me. He did indicate that after Aurora, Google plans to hire a few hundred new security staff this year.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in August 2009.

Overall, was less impressed as interview(s) moved on. In the end I was told that I did well on the technical interviews, but they wanted someone with more experience. Either this was a BS way to make me feel better about myself or actually true. If actually true it was an annoying waste of both of our time.

Although applying for security engineer, I was never asked a single question about computer security. I got asked all of the stock questions they ask, like "Write a function to determine if an input number is a power of 2." or "Explain in detail how traceroute works (I was actually asked this 2 separate times, lol).

I was not asked much about my background or strengths / weaknesses. I got the feeling that they don't care (at least initially). The more I got involved with the whole interview process, the less I wanted to work there. Granted I still believe it probably a good place to work, I don't think its the holy grail of CS jobs.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in June 2007.

I was first contacted by a Google technical recruiter from my resume in Dice.com. After the initial screening a technical phone interview was scheduled. The technical interview consisted of a number of CS questions (describe a TCP handshake, what is sorting algorithm X) followed by security-related questions (what is a buffer overflow, what is an HMAC, what are common web site vulnerabilities). I answered every question well, but blanked on the finer details of HMAC and was not moved on to the next round.

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

self evaluation test, phone screening, further interviews. I couldn't pass the phone interview, I think it's because of my English. The test covers a lot of areas but mainly technical knowledge, several customer behaviors questions were there as well (such as responding to customer's email or phone call...)

Interview Questions
    • what is the most important lesson in your previous work   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in May 2012.

My experience with Google was the worst possible. I had my first phone interview. The interview was not what I expected: direct questions – do you know this, do you know that, what is this, what is that. They promise an interview where you show how you think but I didn’t have to think much in my first interview. I did fine since after a few days the recruiter contacted me for a second phone interview and that’s when things turned ugly. First of all, I was not contacted by the interviewer at the scheduled time. Second, I tried to contact the recruiter to understand what happened – maybe the interviewer had a problem? I never got a response. Hey, they give up on my interview? Not a problem! The least I expected was a cordial “sorry, but we are not proceeding with you at this time” and not plain silence. IF this is the type of treatment they dispense their employees then I’m glad I didn’t move forward. Btw, the position I had applied for is no longer available – which really makes me think they gave up on me but ‘forgot’ to tell me. Shame on you Google.