Google

Google Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

3.8

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2009.

The interviewing process was very professional and thorough from the end to the beginning. However, what I was not told they were hiring for very specific position with a certain language requirement. It was just assumed on their part that I would be proficient in that language given my name. So it was disappointing after six weeks of interviewing that I was not being interviewed for just a "Senior Product Manager" but a "Senior Product Manager for language X".

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Google in August 2012.

My resume was referred to the Indian recruiter by a senior US employee. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for 5 days later with someone in the US (late night call). Before the call they gave me instructions on what to expect. As Google PM was my dream role, I actually prepared a 12 page cheat sheet for the call [ what a waste!].

The interviewer was a PM who had relocated from India to the US and showed major attitude. My strong sense here is that the phone interview was just a formality, they had already decided not to proceed further. [This has happened to me before, at EMC]

For the first 15 minutes he mocked my startup venture, that had not taken off. Then he gave me a problem about locating, classifying and displaying search results for commercial products. He mocked me for the next 15 minutes about that while I explained my solution.

He ended it after that and I asked a few questions from my end to complete the call.

The interview went totally contrary to everything I had read about Google PM interviews, design, strategy, appreciation of Google products etc. I later realized that those reviews were mostly for US positions. It was also different from what the local HR recommended as preparation in her interview scheduling mail.

One recommendation I do have, start practising linear thinking, and staying within bounds, while preparing for interview. At least this PM did not seem to appreciate lateral thinking while problem solving.

I got the canned rejection letter within 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • The very last question was, "if you could be the product manager for any product in Google which would it be?"   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2012.

I applied online and got contacted after about 3 weeks. The HR person scheduled a phone interview and asked typical screening questions for PMs and Google in general. That round was easy and went well. I was then scheduled for a technical phone interview, which I knew would be a random PM from any location. It turns out I got an Associate PM 2 years out of college (from NYC) who said "Okay, cool" before each question. She clearly was not an experienced interviewer (esp. for Senior level position) and made no effort to connect with me, find out about my experience, what I knew about Google and their products or anything else specifically relevant to the position for which I was interviewing. She asked me a few brain teasers, such as Russian Roulette questions. After the 45 minute call, I did not hear anything for 2 weeks, which ended up with Google not wanting to pursue any further steps. I was not impressed with their interviewing process, but mainly with the Associate PM that I talked to which had no relevance to my local Google apps/features or the team I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose there is a smart phone API that can give you a person's mood and that there are 100 different moods. There can be varying level of moods, such as happy, very happy, sad, extremely sad, etc. You can also have more than one mood at a time (such as nervous and excited). What app would you create to take advantage of this API?   View Answers (3)

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2012.

Several online submissions, Finally received an email and call from the recruiter. This was followed by 2-3 phone interviews and a flight to the HQ for another 3-4 interviews. The whole process was very non traditional.

Interview Questions
    • Generally speaking the questions were abstract and meant to test you reasoning and logic skills. Honestly they never really asked what I've done or how I solved a real problem. It was all hypothetical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2011.

Friend submitted resume into internal tools for Product Manager position.
    Got email from recruiter a few days later.
    Phone screen 1 week later.

Phone screen was very vague, similar to those for NCGs vs. experienced folks.

Was very unclear what the interviewer was looking for.

Interview Questions
    • What exciting things are happening in the web space?   Answer Question
    • Develop an algorithm to sort prime numbers   Answer Question
    • Develop an algorithm to sort 100m books and find functional duplicates   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in July 2009.

3 1:1 interviews, great discussions, very energetic team.

Interview Questions

Lack of structure within team

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2012.

The whole process took about 3 months, from the original conversation with the recruiter. I got a call from the recruiter and had a phone screen. After the phone screen, I heard back the next day, inviting me to come onsite to Mountain View. However, it took about 2 weeks to just schedule the on-site, which was then about 2 weeks off. In Mountain View, I interviewed with 4 people, and one for lunch. After the on-site interview, I sent thank you letters, but did not hear anything back for weeks. Then I followed up with a phone call, and again, and learned that the recruiter has not yet received feedback from people I interviewed with (this is now weeks past). When I followed up again, they said still no review, but they'd like to ask me to come out to Mountain View the second time, so that, as the recruiter has put it, she can get the required number of interviews in. This made me curious as to the whole review process. The candidate takes the time to prepare for the interview, fly to a different city, do their best, and the reviewer does not bother to submit their feedback (and is not pushed by Google to do so). Strange.

Second round on campus was with 2 people. After that, heard back in 2 weeks. All in all took 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best way to sort a terabyte of array of data, when you have limited RAM (500k), and each array element has a couple of items of data, at about 1-10k each.   View Answers (4)
    • What is the product you are most proud of releasing and why.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in April 2009.

HR first - 1 hour by phone
    Prosuct Manager - on site Google Victoria London - 1 hour
    Director Product - 1 hour by phone
    Onsite at Google Victoria - 3 face to face (HR! Product, BD) and 3 video call interview with Mountain View (2x Product, 1 VP)

Interview Questions
    • many questions both technical and business related
      a few statistics puzzle to solve on the spot - gave very practical response - asked to solve the "standard" way

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

They discourage those gotchya questions now. The process takes forever.

Interview Questions
    • It's all at the whim of whoever you're talking to. There aren't typical questions anymore. Someone may ask you the "how many telephone poles in texas" sort of thing, but maybe not.   Answer Question
    None

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google.

One of the best hiring processes I've been through, it'll help a lot if you have an internal recommendation. In Australia the response time is pretty slow for most roles but the person I dealt with was quick, kept me informed and really tried to help

Interview Questions
    • Technical skill is a must for this role. You're leading a team of dev's and you have to be able to not just keep up on a technical level but you need to be out ahead of them in terms of vision and to do that you need to have the technical base. Even though I have a Software Dev. degree, the fact that I hadn't worked in the field in a technical capacity meant that I ended up pulling out of the process once I understood the detail because I don't have the technical chops. Credit to Google for looking at me in the first place and for making it a pleasant process even though I didn't get there...   Answer Question