Google Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.7

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process consists of a phone interview followed by an on-campus visit. When you go onsite I was interviewed by 3 people from the product management team. If they like you then you are requested to stay back for another 2-3 rounds of interviews after lunch. I was good enough to be asked to stay back but not good enough to be made an offer. the interviews after lunch was another product person, a technical round and I got to speak to the manager of the group I had said I wanted to join if made an offer. Don't sweat too much about technical stuff, questions were not that hard. Get familiar with questions on database design, server side redundancy/fault tolerance designs etc.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA so cannot disclose the exact questions but they centered around some core topics: (a) product design - design a product for a specific segment of the population, say physically challenged (b)quant case (c) product strategy - improve a product and talk about how you would launch it (d)general product questions - pick a product, why do you like it, why don't you like it,what would you improve etc (e)technical   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very chaotic. HR rep didn't show up, his replacement sent out an interview using a 3 years old copy of my resume, and wasn't available either. The interviewers were confused, and so was I.

Interview Questions

• What data structure should be used for storing Internet searches results?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Was called by a current Senior Product Manager from Google on the phone. Spent around 30 minutes going over my experience and recent projects. Then spent the remaining 30 minutes discussing how I would further develop Nest thermostat as a platform. Overall the interviewer was very friendly. He was very open about his current position in Google and work culture in general.

Interview Questions

• Which features would you add to Nest thermostat to make it more like a platform   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and involved, but very well described and managed. Everyone I dealt with was very respectful, courteous, and enjoyable to talk with. Although I didn't get an offer, I came away with an even better view of the company and their employees and processes. The information their staffing organization provided to use for preparation was invaluable. All around a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you were really excited about something you were doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Head hunted by Google. I had to two phone interviews, one by HR and then a second by a product manager. Passed both, so invited to Mountain View for several hours of interviews. Second interview and onsite interviews were almost all the same as detailed by others on Glassdoor, so I am not going to repeat it. I did not get an offers--HR person that contacted me said the software development manager that interviewed me did not find me technical enough. I was a software engineer for 15 years before going into product management, so to get a thumbs up from their product manager and a thumbs down from the software development manager was exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize an algorithm to ensure that no duplicate data was being stored on Google servers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter then product manager before on-site interview with three product managers. Each step of the way the recruiters gave very good guidance through emails about what to expect and prepare. Product managers asked mostly open ended questions looking at creativity and industry knowledge. Good to understand what's happening in a market. Didn't ask anything about my experience. Two of three interviewers very easy to talk to and open. Third got frustrated when I asked clarification questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about a web site, what would you do different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

My interviews consisted of a phone screen and in person interview at the Googleplex My phone screen consisted of a product design / brainstorming question which was a lot of fun. The interviewer was a new PM and very respectful. I met with five PMs on campus. My reaction of the interview process is negative. The good: Coordination was good. Recruiter was in touch throughout the process. The lunch interview was the highlight of my day. The bad: The interview panel was not very diverse - in fact was largely white/male, former CS or Management Consulting background. Google's penchant for the tricksy interview questions is alive and well. Most of my interviewers were arrogant (with two notable exceptions). However what gave me pause was the uniform response from all of the PMs on the panel that "PMs only focus on execution", "Engineers hold the power here at Google", "Engineers need PMs only when they need to launch products", "Engineers look down on PMs that only focus on the front-end". This was very unexpected from my (external) perception of Google. Apart from the "pirates on a deserted island" set of questions, the rest of the questions were Product Design or Product Analytics focused. These were fun but I got the sense that they were going down a checklist without probing too deep. In fact, it almost seemed like they had made up their mind to reject anyone who doesn't fit a certain mold. I walked away very underwhelmed. 1. Engineers have come to you with a cool new feature. What ideas can you come up with that incorporate this feature? 2. Design an app around your interest. How will you take it to market? How will you evaluate success? 3. How will you launch Android Wear? 4. Brainstorm some unique ideas for a vending machine 5. Estimate the bandwidth needs for You Tube for one year There were no technical or coding questions on my panel. Not sure if this means that Google has done away with the coding questions.

Interview Questions

• "On a scale of one to ten, how difficult was this question? "   Answer Question

Google's process is geared at identifying very junior PMs. PMs on my panel seemed arrogant. The tidbit about being engineering led and only focusing on execution was very unexpected. There was also a candid observation shared that successful PMs at Google optimize for the short term rather than the long term. One of the PMs very arrogantly contrasted his startup experience and mentioned that he had never ever worked at a company where everyone was of a really high caliber - which is usually true of large companies. Finally, given the makeup of the interview panel, I am not sure I would be very comfortable in a PM culture that is not diverse nor values different perspectives. I also did not walk away with a sense that they were particularly engaged or happy at Google.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

One of the best hiring processes I've been through, it'll help a lot if you have an internal recommendation. In Australia the response time is pretty slow for most roles but the person I dealt with was quick, kept me informed and really tried to help

Interview Questions

• Technical skill is a must for this role. You're leading a team of dev's and you have to be able to not just keep up on a technical level but you need to be out ahead of them in terms of vision and to do that you need to have the technical base. Even though I have a Software Dev. degree, the fact that I hadn't worked in the field in a technical capacity meant that I ended up pulling out of the process once I understood the detail because I don't have the technical chops. Credit to Google for looking at me in the first place and for making it a pleasant process even though I didn't get there...   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

The hiring process was as one would expect - simply a case interview with some fairly challenging questions. The interviewer was rather cold and stern, but that could be due to the fact that I didn't do a good job of articulating the answers to my questions. All in all, a difficult but not out of the ordinary interview process.

Interview Questions

• How much bandwidth does YouTube require to achieve 100% uptime. Rationalize your answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Starts with a phone interview, followed by an on-site half day. Interviewed by a two Product Managers, an Engineer (more technical) and a director of PM. Followed by a Hiring Comittee, another Director and a final Comittee. The entire process took more than two months.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary you can read in this site and others. Tell me about a Google product, what you would have changed etc. Invent a product and build a business case for that etc. You see a decline in traffic to a service. What do you do?etc Why do you want to work for google? etc.   Answer Question