Google

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted resume through a former co-worker who now works in Google. Within a week I was contacted by recruiters. Since I was available locally (Palo Alto, CA) and had a strong internal reference they found it possible to skip phone screening and schedule onsite interview right away. I had technical interviews with 5 people plus lunch. The questions were mostly open-end designs plus occasional coding of parts of my designs. The interviewers were professional, supportive and friendly. I felt confident about answers most of the time. But with design questions it is difficult to say how well I did. It is always possible to miss an area that was considered important by the interviewer.

Waiting for results took a long time. It was about one month with occasional phone call exchanges with the recruiter. Google contacted all the people I listed as references. Once I had a phone conversation with a potential manager. I expected either additional screening or persuading to join the team but somehow the conversation did not feel like any of those.
After a month when my expectations on getting an offer were considerably high I got a voice message from the recruiter saying that I was rejected by the executive committee.

Summary: the technical part was good, the subsequent result processing was annoying and somewhat misleading, so it is "neutral" overall.

Interview Question – Design distributed backend side for query auto-completion feature   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Senior Software Development Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.