Google

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2013.

I submitted resume through a former co-worker who now works in Google. Within a week I was contacted by recruiters. Since I was available locally (Palo Alto, CA) and had a strong internal reference they found it possible to skip phone screening and schedule onsite interview right away. I had technical interviews with 5 people plus lunch. The questions were mostly open-end designs plus occasional coding of parts of my designs. The interviewers were professional, supportive and friendly. I felt confident about answers most of the time. But with design questions it is difficult to say how well I did. It is always possible to miss an area that was considered important by the interviewer.

Waiting for results took a long time. It was about one month with occasional phone call exchanges with the recruiter. Google contacted all the people I listed as references. Once I had a phone conversation with a potential manager. I expected either additional screening or persuading to join the team but somehow the conversation did not feel like any of those.
After a month when my expectations on getting an offer were considerably high I got a voice message from the recruiter saying that I was rejected by the executive committee.

Summary: the technical part was good, the subsequent result processing was annoying and somewhat misleading, so it is "neutral" overall.

Interview Questions
  • Design distributed backend side for query auto-completion feature   Answer Question