Google

Updated Jan 11, 2015

4.0

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Apply online and HR gets back to me with in one day. Interview is scheduled and pushed that out due to unavailability of interviewer. Finally date and time are set. Interviewer has strong accent and couldn't understand what he's asking most of the time. No introduction of who he is and what's his role in the team. Just start off with bunch of questions. Hear lot of keyboard strike noise. Interviewer must be typing during interview and also there is a lot of echo when ever interviewer puts phone on speaker. Interviewer has no knowledge about technology/role which is advertised.Not at all enjoy the interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

The interview process was really professional, after discussing the process with the recruiter over phone, I got a phone interview with a google engineer. I was asked two question during the phone interview, both about string parsing.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Everyone at Google was easy to work with. The recruiters clearly explained the process as we went along. However, the hiring is done by committees. They have the local committee on-site which then makes a recommendation to a corporate committee. The various levels there make the process take a while and seem redundant.

Interview Questions
    • Go through different combinations of numbers to compute what sums to a given number and analyze the runtime.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

I have two recruiters during the process. Both are nice, the interviewers are in general nice. Just take it as a collaboration effort to solve some interesting problems. I went through almost everything, somehow did not have the blessing from the final VP. The recruiter could not tell me why.

Interview Questions
    • Basic stuff: relatively practical problems use stack, queue, binary search. None expected.
      For example, maximum points on a line given a list of coordinates, 3 sum variants: a+b+c<target integer for a given unsorted into array, RPN. Some design questions, touched consistent hashing.

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I was going through a conversion interview so my interview experience was likely different. Had a few standard programming questions (1 was to maintain stats on a hourly, minute, and day granularity and the other was a variant of a hash table design). I had to negotiate a lot but it had a huge impact on my offer. I also had competing offers from Facebook, DropBox, and a startup.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

It was long and after 2 phone interviews was schedules for an in person one. And they totally messed up on that last part.

I was first contacted by a recruiter and informed them on the progress of my career and they said google would be certainly interested.

What followed up was 2 phone interviews which I passed with flying colors.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Their standard process: Applied on line through their website, was contacted by their recruiter within 3 days for initial talks, set up the phone interview for the next week which was technical and involved solving one programming question, called on site for 5 back to back technical interviews with their programmers. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate the point when the time/space complexity for a merge sort would be as good/bad as a insertion sort for given values for step executions.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Was very quick as I already had another competing offer from Microsoft.
    Interview was scheduled as soon as I sent my resume through employee referral. And got the offer letter very fast.

Did not negotiate

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

Google continues to play the game of "20 questions" despite the fact that it has admitted that a better approach to finding good employees would be to determine whether the potential employee plays well with others. The Google interviewers are typically young and therefore inexperienced with the interview process, and hence don't know how to interview a candidate effectively.

Interview Questions
    • A system architecture question about how to synchronize temporally a cluster of computers.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2014.

Applied online and 7 months later received a phone call from recruiter.
    Phone screen appointment was setup for the following week.
    At phone screen, recruiter first described position then setup a coaching prep appointment.
    Recruiter asked questions then attacked my answers with accusations I wasn't a team player and being too excited.
    2 weeks later, hiring manager called and yelled the questions at me which I answered
    coolly and competently. 1 week later, recruiter feedback was that my answers were all correct but too detailed since this was not an on site interview. Recruiter also laughed at how I answered manager's questions.
    Most demeaning and insulting interview of my life.
    PS: I caught the hiring manager making a technical mistake about databases.
    Based on this incident and their buggy Android platform,
    their engineers are NOT superior to Silicon Valley engineers in general.
    It is all theater for the stock holders.

Interview Questions
    • How many ants can you count living inside an ant hill?   View Answer