Google

4.1

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in December 2011.

The interview started with a non-technical phone interview with a recruiter -- easy, standard stuff. A week later was a technical phone screen. We had a shared Google Doc and I had to implement a HashMap. Up until now, things were ok.

I had some issues with how the in-person reviews were run. Most of the questions were reasonable, but the interviewers clearly lacked any sort of experience in running an interview.

Interview Questions
  • Write an algorithm for integer multiplication   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2011.

Questions related to finding medians on millions of lines of data distributed across various servers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interviewed with five senior level engineers and a director level manager. Most of them asked senior level questions, i.e. design questions. One asked junior algorithms. Be careful about Google policy, if one interviewer said something bad about you, it's hard to you to get an offer, even though all others want you badly. Take simple algorithm questions seriously, explain to the interviewer like you are tutoring him, otherwise he may think you are missing some key points.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2010.

After I passed phone interview I had 6 on site interviews in 2 days. 45 minutes each. My former co-workers described all the favorite topics. It is mostly questions on Algorithms, Data Structures. Coding is an integral part of an interview at Google. Be ready to write code on whiteboard. A few questions were rather difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of numbers, replace each number with the product of all the
      numbers in the array except the number itself *without* using division.

View Answers (7)
    • How to select a random sample of size K from a stream of numbers.   View Answer

Have other offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2010.

Got a Linkedin message from a recruiter that followed with one phone interview.
    Then got invited to an interview on site.
    Was interview by 5-6 engineers about various subjects matching the rating I gave in an e-mail from HR.

Interview was very long and exhausting, each engineer has different demands and you kind of have to figure them out and work them, didnt work for me!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2010.

I submitted a resume online to Google/Sketchup Boulder office on Pearl Street. I did an initial phone screening discussing past work history and some development and programming questions that were somewhat perfunctory.
    I came for in in person interview. The office is a very stylish loft above retail on Pearl Street, basically the startup with too much money dream-office. Huge double monitors, fast workstations, slack dress code, unused foosball table etc... Lunch was catered in daily apparently from a posh catering company and the food was excellent.
    I interviewed with one of the sketchup founders who clearly thought very highly of himself.
    The position was for implementing extensions to the javascript interpreter scripting engine for sketchup.

Interview Questions
    • Given a large data set that essentially consumes all working memory, what kind of sort would one implement.
      Now add the condition that the elements are alphanumeric and same length.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in April 2010.

Phone interview was nice with one simple question about hashing and one nice math tricky question

The on-site interview was based on 5 robotp-engineers activating running a pre-programmed interview sessions they received from HR/their manager. I felt they were there just as a input/output port to/from the hiring manager. In two of the interviews The interviewer showed some basic lack of understanding of the stuff related to the question he asked. In one case, the interviewer didn't really understand what's the pivot in quick select and in other he didn't know to find complexity of a recursive algorithm by the regression of the T() .

I think I have very good interviews in 4 sessions though I missed few opportunities to knock them down . I feel I should have been more aggressive to take over the interview flow and thus be able to demonstrate thinking skills . They in general pull you to the lower level of get the solution and then you might miss the real thing which is the skills you should prove in the way. Who cares how many golf balls you can put inside a buss or ho good how you in estimating the size of the buss.
     One interview I screw up and I guess that's what failed me. Friends told me you must get all the interviewers vote for you. .

Interview Questions
    • what's wrong with the following code :

<template type T >
      T accumulate ( vector<T> in)
      {

return T
      }

View Answers (7)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in March 2010.

They were very prepared to ask thought-challenging questions both in the phone interviews, and in person. Writing code for them (whiteboard) during the in-person interview is a key part of their process.

The people were friendly, very professional, and wasted little time in the meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to sort and merge 2 LARGE data streams on a system where storage is essentially unlimited (but slow) and RAM is limited.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in March 2010.

Get the interview for SDE intern, not an phone but an on-site interview.
    I think it's mainly because I'm living close to their office.

The interviewers are nice, but they can't move forward on me.
    Seems they have one year cool down if you've failed an on-site, I've try to apply again, but no response.

Interview Questions
    • How would you desgin facebook, use the data struct to show the social network and find out the people that close to you but your relation are stranger (white board coding)   Answer Question
    • We have m slots for ads and n ads, each ads will have different revenue on differnet slot, design an algorithm to find out the best fit (find m ads in n ads and order them so that they can make max money, white board coding) .   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in March 2010.

Overall process was well organized.
    First a recruitment specialist of some sort called me to know more about my area of expertise and i think this was used to pick the folks who would interview me. Their interview process is aimed at selecting a new employee for the company ..and not for a particular group

First there were two technical interviews on the phone. each interview was 45 or 50 mins. First part of each interview were technical questions to gauge my understanding in my areas of expertise. the second part of each interview was problem solving.

The on-site interviews : There were 4 interviews totally on the same day.. each about 45 or 50 mins. First there are two interviews, then lunch and then another two interviews. Someone will take you to lunch at their cafeteria after the 2nd interview.

The on-site interviews were focused more on problem solving... so back to back problem solving i felt was a bit strenuos. i was somewhat mentally drained by the last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between arithmetic and logical shift   View Answers (2)
    • talk about 1s complement and 2s complement representation   View Answer
    • Implement a base 3 adder which takes two strings as input and returns a string   View Answers (6)
    • Write algorithm to compute a Log to the base 2 of a number (integral results no need for floating point). Solution should not assume a particular size of integer   View Answers (4)
    • - maximum sum of any continuous subsequence in an array of signed integers
      whats the complexity.

- program to compute fibonacci sequence..standard recursive and more efficent iterative one.. algorithmic complexity of both.

View Answer