Google Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

3.8

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

The process was standard for what I had read about Google in the past. I was contacted by a recruiter who was my contact point during the process. He was professional and informative, and overall made the process enjoyable. I was set up with 3 phone interviews, and after the third, I was told that I did not have enough practical experience for the position. Honestly, that was probably correct, and they were courteous about telling me that.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

After phone screens I came on-site. There were 5 interviews. They are more focused on an obsession with basic computer science and trivia of Linux than system administration. Make sure you review the basic Linux commands and options (even though no matter where you work they are right at your fingertips, anyway..). I'd also have to say that the percentage of people working here who are socially maladjusted seemed quite high -- for example at lunch they sit down, knowing I'm a candidate but don't introduce themselves. Nice. There are some hard-core nerds, I'm pretty good at spotting them. How is it like to work with these people? Are some of these guys borderline Aspergers syndrome cases? Yeah probably, hah hah hah.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Rejected after second phone interview. Seemed to me like communication between recruiter and interviewers is not the best. Take the info that interviewer provides you with the grain of salt; be prepared for everything.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Referred by employee, had a quick tech screen with a recruiter and then a more in depth interview with an SRE. Didn't make it past the second call. Overall the experience was good.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to do something.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Google flew me to NYC for an interview and provided an email with basic information, instructing me to arrive 10-15 minutes early for checking in at reception. I arrived 20 minutes early and had to wait in line at security. When I reached the security desk I offered my photo ID and told them I was there for an interview. They replied that they didn't have me listed and asked me to call my recruiter (who wasn't in the office yet due to timezones). At the time the interview was scheduled for, they (without confirming) sent me to 4th floor reception who also had no record of my interview. I waited at 4th floor reception for nearly 15 minutes as they tried to sort it out before my interviewer showed up, visibly angry. The interview was for Python and was very specifically negotiated before the interview to be done on my own laptop due to my physical difficulty writing. The interviewer decided instead that I should solve the problem in C on the whiteboard, when I protested he said bluntly "I don't care". The problem itself was a trivial linked list exercise, but while solving it he repeatedly interrupted me to clarify what I was writing. The hardest part of the interview was coping with his abrasive personality and the physical challenge of having to write legible C code. According to the recruiter, his report was that I was unprepared for the interview and my code was buggy. This was one of the worse interview experiences I've ever had. I do not intend to apply to Google again.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The hiring process was fairly straight forward. I was approached by a recruiter on linked in, who saw that I would be a good fit of a position in several locations. I had to pass a very brief introductory round of questions by this recruiter, which was painless if you had the experience for the job required. They did not ask questions out of the blue and you are given the opportunity to look over the information before you get asked. I would take the opportunity to look over the information provided, don't just jump into the interview without reviewing other posts here. I got past the initial round and then it was onto the technical review by another current site reliability engineer. It is part of their job to consistently get involved in bringing in new talent and I enjoyed that knowledge. I feel that the questions where fair and that you had plenty of time to prepare if you had not been on the market for a while, like myself. I unfortunately did not get asked to attend an in-person interview because I lacked some specific knowledge they were looking for on the inner workings of the linux operating system.

Interview Questions

• Not to be specific, but understand how process control works in Linux. Know your signals and how job scheduling is handled in the most recent iterations. Do not be content in older knowledge of how things work.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a referral from the company. Great experience - cool people, stimulating interviews, very efficient HR. Two coding questions on phone interview - one on adding integers of arbitrary size and another that I can't recall. On-site interview entailed 5 back-to-back interviews and lunch. 1. Talk with a manager and question regarding TCP Path MTU discovery - black hole connection. 2. Others were whiteboard coding and design questions. Study up on algorithms and data structs!

Interview Questions

• Phone screen: the troubleshooting scenarios were typical things I'd seen in my 10 years administering a large network of Linux machines. For the coding exercise I chose Perl because that's my best language and as a result I had to explain some of the code to the interviewer (I think Google uses mostly python).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Prepping for a Google interview is time well spent. Especially for technical positions. Purchase and study the book "Cracking the Coding Interview" for several weeks prior to interviewing. Practice wipe boarding with your coding skills. Interview questions varied from complex to very simple. It is sometimes beneficial to provide a simple short answer and then ask if they would like a more extensive description.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied through a referral from the company. But even though my field is machine learning and data mining, the recruiter wanted to ask me questions about site reliability engineering. later on, I tried to contact with them about the role that fits me but no reply.

Interview Questions

• we did not continue the interview because they did not know what they are doing   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Great experience - cool people, stimulating interviews, very efficient HR. Two coding questions on phone interview - one on adding integers of arbitrary size and another that I can't recall. On-site interview entailed 5 back-to-back interviews and lunch. 1. Talk with a manager and question regarding TCP Path MTU discovery - black hole connection. 2. Others were whiteboard coding and design questions. Study up on algorithms and data structs! Will be trying again in a year.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a real-time sports data collection app.   Answer Question