Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2015

3.5

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me to start the interview process. I sent in a resume, and I got a long list of suggested prep material. I say suggested because they don't really have to stick to the prep material, and will most likely ask at least a few questions not covered by the list. I set up a phone interview that lasted for about 45 minutes. In total, I was only asked two technical questions. For the first one, I was asked to write an algorithm to solve a random problem they gave me. Wasn't sure how to go about it at first, so I talked through my thought process until I came up with a solution. He asked about the running time and what kind of tests I would write for it. The next question was about web programming and networking. This question wasn't on the list of prep material, but it wasn't completely out of bounds. The interviewer was really vague at first, then as we kept talking about it, I was finally able to figure out what he actually meant and what kind of response he expected from me. After that, it was all just behavioral questions and things like what projects I'm working on.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I received a phone call for a phone interview conducted while simultaneously coding in a shared Google Doc. I received a link prior to the interview, as well as a list of things to study. However, as it was a simple phone interview, the topics covered during the interview was not extensive.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to reveal their question, however, they set up a scenario to pose a problem and asked how I might write a function to solve it.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied online, received 2 phone interviews (45 mins long each). The first one asked me about my resume, and the coding question is about binary search. The second one ask me to code a permutation problem, and ask running time, etc.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The whole process is quite smooth. HR contact you and schedule a phone talk about your basic background. Then he/she will schedule a technical phone interview using google docs. It is more about writing code to solve a problem. You can use any language you are familiar with. The question is not difficult and then the people interview you will require a optimzed solution for this question. You need to talk and think and write code.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview

So far I've only completed a phone interview, but it was different in that I was asked to write some code (in the language of my choice, in my case c++) in a google drive document. The interviewer asked me to create a class to describe a deck of cards, then write some functions for such things as shuffling and scoring a hand of poker. Each task was followed up with additional questions, and incorrect or non-optimal solutions were questioned and gently led towards a better solution. I scored an on site interview, despite messing up the shuffling algorithm pretty badly. The interviewer walked me through some questions about my implementation, and led me towards a better one.

Interview Questions

• Create an algorithm for shuffling a deck of cards.   2 Answers

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview

I have three interviews one after the other for 45 mins each. Every interview contains 2-3 technical questions which could be find on glassdoor. The technical question is not hard and it contains a lot of Binary Search Tree problems

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and they were very friendly through the process. They did an initial phone call where they gave information on the company and I was asked to answer some basic professional questions. Was interesting that I was not being interviewed for a specific position, but for a general programming role - they find you a project that suits you. After the phone screen with the recruiter, there is a phone call set up with a developer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First contacted by an email from a Google recruiter asking if I wanted to have a 20 minute conversation. The ensuing phone call was a typical non-technical chat, asking me about my experience and interests, and whether I'd want to work in Mountain View, CA office, to which I said that I would. She gave me an overview of the interview process, letting me know it can take up to 4 months for an applicant to pass through all the stages (1 or 2 technical phone interviews, followed by ~4 hr in-person interview). Asked me what my favorite language is, and said she'd schedule an interview with an engineer, where we will work on a shared online document and I will be asked to write code. She emailed me a 4 page prospectus on the Google hiring process, detailing how to prepare for the interviews. The flyer included the kinds of topics to expect to be quizzed on, and a very useful reading list to help you study up. The first phone interview was scheduled for 1 month after the recruiter first called me. The person was an engineer who politely introduced himself and told me a little bit about what he does. We chatted briefly about my experience, and after exchanging pleasantries, got to business: He gave me a problem to solve and write code on a shared document. I got stuck a few times and he helped me out by suggesting ways to approach the problem. I managed to get through only about 25% of the solution, and then pretty much gave up, at which point he explained the remainder of solution to me. The interview lasted 45 minutes. The engineer was professional, well-mannered and polite. About a week later I was contacted by the recruiter, who notified me that "...we won't be moving forward with the hiring process." I was expecting this, as I knew I had flunked the quiz.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter's email postscript contains the following message, whose counsel I choose to observe: "We know all this is exciting, so feel free to share your progress with your friends and family. However, keep in mind that our interview questions are confidential, so sharing them publicly would jeopardize the process for both you and the other folks who are interviewing."   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I had three phone interviews-- 45 minutes each in a day. The interviewers were very nice and the questions were not that difficult, but I was very nervous that I could not answer them well.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter send me an email to for availability time slot. Schedule an interview, 3 phone interviews in a row. Each lasts about an hour. Less than a week after the interview, i got the result.

Interview Questions

• Some past project experiences. They will ask some details or ask questions regarding with your description. Ask Some data structure problems. Not tough, just some basic computer science knowledge. About 2 coding problems.   Answer Question