Google

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details – Incredibly professional. Started with 2 phone calls, trying to take as much detail from my professional life as possible. After the phone calls, they want to schedule technical phone interview, which I scheduled 7 weeks later ,not any problem for them at all, will consist of several technical programming questions. 1 week after, they want to schedule another technical interview, again technical programming questions, this time only one question regarding more complex question. At the end of the interview, the interviewer kindly thanked me for my patience and collaboration and told me they will call me back in a week and they did, telling me to come Zurich for an onsite interview which includes a travelling request form.
After filling out travel request form, they booked my plane and hotel and covered all of my expenses from until my interview time. They told me that I can book my plane departure any time I want but they will cover only one night's expenses which I was completely okay. So I arrived Zurich one night before my interview and went straight through my hotel. They thought everything. A dream like hotel, free wi-fi, one drink from hotel bar, relaxing music, a giant plasma tv with every possible input for you to plug in to your laptop if you want, fully automatic lights in the room, relaxing mints on top of the bed for a good nights sleep! It's like they are saying: We are not giving you any excuses, show us your best.
On-site interview consists of 5 separate interviews which are grouped as 3-2. Interviews are tough, I mean it's not like anything you one handed done on your phone interview. Each interview consists of 45 minute mind bending process with one employee and you will have 3-4 minute break between each interview. We have been to lunch after 3 interviews, cafeteria are great, facilities are already known for it's luxury. And then final 2 interviews. After the interviews they thanked me and told me that they will give me a response in 10 days.
The important part, Interview questions: I'm obligated to not give you the interview questions but I can describe you the concept. First, it's a little bit intimidating in the room, some interviewers doing kinda stress test during the interview. They give you a problem, a real world problem, with an easy overlay, and you derive a solution to it, by talking first, you can write some code if you want and you should want it. After that, they want you to improve it, what if there is 1 million entries on it? how much space will it take? What is the time complexity? You have done it in 2 loops, there is a way to do it in one loop, can you find it? This algorithm will not give correct result for this input because you have assumed friendship is a symmetric-transitive relation, how can you fix this issue? The thing is, they push you. They push you until you don't know the answer, and they want you to think what you didn't thought before. They give little clues, breadcrumbs, to lead you to right way and you can surely see their satisfaction if you can follow that lead.

To sum up, It is good, it feels good, but it is hard. Definitely worth it.

Interview Question – Interviewer came with a deck of cards. It is a simple game, cards put on top of each other, at every step you take the top card out and then take another card from the top and put it into the bottom. Repeat this until all cards are discarded. In how many of those iterations will you get the starting sequence as discarded sequence?   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in December 2009.

Interview Details – The interview lasted a whole day and was very grueling. It felt to me as though the questions were really aimed at recent Comp. Sci. grads. I didn't feel that the process really reflected the sort of work that I had been doing and the kind of work that I was hoping to get hired to do. We did touch on some questions specific to the task but these came at the end of the day and were almost perfunctory in comparison to the computer science type questions I got earlier in the day.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was what was my favorite design pattern. I don't have a favorite, I just use whatever is best for the task!   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted via LinkedIn by one of Google's in house recruiters. We traded a few emails, I sent the recruiter my resume, and after a phone screen with the recruiter I moved on to a technical phone screen. The technical phone screen went OK and the recruiter scheduled a second technical phone screen. A question in the second phone screen blindsided me and basically derailed things.

Interview Question – Given a list of numbers build and place the numbers into a sorted binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – Talked to their HR who very quickly forwarded me to the technical interview. Initial interview took around half an hour.

Interview Question – Recite Linux signals and their codes and what and their significance. I had never worked with Linux on this level.   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview Details – They had a initial screening process according resumes. Then they did one phone interview. After that it was onsite 4 round interview processes.

Interview Question – They asked me some approximation algorithm for NP hard problem   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1) A recrouter email me asking if interested working for google.
2) Phone chat with the recrouter next day or so
3) Technical screening one month later

Interview Question – I have been given one algorithmic problem, could not solve it. I was given a little hints and did advance a bit but still could not solve the problem. Then I was given different problem, also algorithmic, that I believe I have not solved either.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 2 over the phone coding interviews

Interview Question – A lot of design questions. Study up on design.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

Interview Details – First contact takes a long time but will be from HR through email. A phone interview is setup with two hiring managers, 30 minutes each. Both managers will ask technical questions and you will be expected to code in a Google doc while they watch what you are typing. Once you finish these two interviews you will receive your results from the HR manager.

Interview Question – Code a self-growing array in java   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was very organized.
First i had a phone screen with an engineer which was completely technical with a few coding questions. No questions related to projects.
Next i had another phone interview wherein i was asked to design a hub accepting network connections and routing them as per destination given. (basic design discussions - data structure etc)
Onsite interview consisted of 5 interviews of 45 mins each and a 1 hr lunch with an engineer. 5 interviews involved white board coding and system limits questions.

Interview Question – One thing which was unexpected was when i was asked about deriving the complexity of finding intersection of 2 arrays using different methods and taking into account disk access/latency etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Google has long and slow hiring process. I was contacted by Google candidate review associate, who sent my information to recruiter, and finally I was contacted by coordinator who schedules interview. I appeared for first phone screen. It had one coding question.

Interview Question – Given a doubly linked list as
1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 4 <-> 5<->6

and input (1,2,4,3,6)

Find out longest sub sequence in doubly linked list containing max number of input elements and return its last number.

For above input 1-2-3-4 is longest sequence as per given input. And last number is 4.

for input (1,2,4,7)

Answer should be 1-2 and 2 is last element
  Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!