Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

3.4

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by one of Google's in house recruiters. We traded a few emails, I sent the recruiter my resume, and after a phone screen with the recruiter I moved on to a technical phone screen. The technical phone screen went OK and the recruiter scheduled a second technical phone screen. A question in the second phone screen blindsided me and basically derailed things.

Interview Questions
  • Given a list of numbers build and place the numbers into a sorted binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in December 2009.

The interview lasted a whole day and was very grueling. It felt to me as though the questions were really aimed at recent Comp. Sci. grads. I didn't feel that the process really reflected the sort of work that I had been doing and the kind of work that I was hoping to get hired to do. We did touch on some questions specific to the task but these came at the end of the day and were almost perfunctory in comparison to the computer science type questions I got earlier in the day.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected was what was my favorite design pattern. I don't have a favorite, I just use whatever is best for the task!   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Incredibly professional. Started with 2 phone calls, trying to take as much detail from my professional life as possible. After the phone calls, they want to schedule technical phone interview, which I scheduled 7 weeks later ,not any problem for them at all, will consist of several technical programming questions. 1 week after, they want to schedule another technical interview, again technical programming questions, this time only one question regarding more complex question. At the end of the interview, the interviewer kindly thanked me for my patience and collaboration and told me they will call me back in a week and they did, telling me to come Zurich for an onsite interview which includes a travelling request form.
    After filling out travel request form, they booked my plane and hotel and covered all of my expenses from until my interview time. They told me that I can book my plane departure any time I want but they will cover only one night's expenses which I was completely okay. So I arrived Zurich one night before my interview and went straight through my hotel. They thought everything. A dream like hotel, free wi-fi, one drink from hotel bar, relaxing music, a giant plasma tv with every possible input for you to plug in to your laptop if you want, fully automatic lights in the room, relaxing mints on top of the bed for a good nights sleep! It's like they are saying: We are not giving you any excuses, show us your best.
    On-site interview consists of 5 separate interviews which are grouped as 3-2. Interviews are tough, I mean it's not like anything you one handed done on your phone interview. Each interview consists of 45 minute mind bending process with one employee and you will have 3-4 minute break between each interview. We have been to lunch after 3 interviews, cafeteria are great, facilities are already known for it's luxury. And then final 2 interviews. After the interviews they thanked me and told me that they will give me a response in 10 days.
    The important part, Interview questions: I'm obligated to not give you the interview questions but I can describe you the concept. First, it's a little bit intimidating in the room, some interviewers doing kinda stress test during the interview. They give you a problem, a real world problem, with an easy overlay, and you derive a solution to it, by talking first, you can write some code if you want and you should want it. After that, they want you to improve it, what if there is 1 million entries on it? how much space will it take? What is the time complexity? You have done it in 2 loops, there is a way to do it in one loop, can you find it? This algorithm will not give correct result for this input because you have assumed friendship is a symmetric-transitive relation, how can you fix this issue? The thing is, they push you. They push you until you don't know the answer, and they want you to think what you didn't thought before. They give little clues, breadcrumbs, to lead you to right way and you can surely see their satisfaction if you can follow that lead.

To sum up, It is good, it feels good, but it is hard. Definitely worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer came with a deck of cards. It is a simple game, cards put on top of each other, at every step you take the top card out and then take another card from the top and put it into the bottom. Repeat this until all cards are discarded. In how many of those iterations will you get the starting sequence as discarded sequence?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Talked to their HR who very quickly forwarded me to the technical interview. Initial interview took around half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Recite Linux signals and their codes and what and their significance. I had never worked with Linux on this level.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Google.

Google has long and slow hiring process. I was contacted by Google candidate review associate, who sent my information to recruiter, and finally I was contacted by coordinator who schedules interview. I appeared for first phone screen. It had one coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a doubly linked list as
      1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 4 <-> 5<->6

and input (1,2,4,3,6)

Find out longest sub sequence in doubly linked list containing max number of input elements and return its last number.

For above input 1-2-3-4 is longest sequence as per given input. And last number is 4.

for input (1,2,4,7)

Answer should be 1-2 and 2 is last element
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

One question was asked about the data structures and I was asked to write the code for it.

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

I gave my resume to a recruiter during a career fair, got scheduled for a phone interview two weeks later. It was two 45 minute interviews, standard algorithms/data structure questions. Unfortunately it was my first ever tech interview and I was not well prepared so I failed both pretty badly. If you study you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Medium to hard difficulty algorithms/data structures questions. Signed the NDA so I won't give away details.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in January 2009.

The interview process consisted of an email response, a programming/technical skills test, and a telephone interview.

1. Email response: they sent me a number of questions and I drafted an email response- describing myself, my interests, future directions, special projects, etc.
    2. Programming test: they sent me a programming question (to code/solve) and I had 1-hour to write code and send back my response
    3. Telephone interview: they asked me a series of technical questions, the first question was strange in that- now looking back- it was more of an "are you an encylopedia" question rather than a question that could actually be answered. This question really caught me off guard and I unfortunately let it send me down a shame spiral for the the rest of the interview.

Overall it was a positive experience. I learned about myself: it is important to take perceived failure (failure to answer the impossible questions) in stride and stay focused.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2009.

The entire interview process consisted of a phone interview and a day of interviews at their boston office.
    The phone interview went pretty well with one main programming question. He asked me to explain how I would solve the problem and then asked me to code the answer in a google doc.
    The on site interviews were pretty similar. Most consisted of on main question that I had to solve and then follow up questions on how to make it better.
    In terms of the people, some were very nice and encouraging, but I also had a couple interviewers who acted like they didn't want to be there. Overall, google left me with a pretty neutral impression. Part of it might have been the ordinary boston office, but It felt like pretty much any other company.

Interview Questions
    • How would you reverse the image on an n by n matrix where each pixel is represented by a bit?   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in March 2010.

I applied it online. I got the response in a day. I interview was scheduled after 2 weeks.
    There were 2 rounds of phone screening. Each round was 45 mins.
    Both the reviews were technical.
    I was asked some coding questions in both the rounds. It was more dependent on the data structure skills and offcource coding skills.

Interview Questions
    • Why do software fails some times. ie firefox might not work some time on the system   View Answer
    • Write a code to check whether partially filled sudoku is proper or not   View Answers (4)
    • Whats is max possible edges in a graph with no cycles.   View Answers (6)

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!