Google

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Difficult to secure an initial interview. Had to know someone in the company. Good interviewers, asked very challenging questions. Had to go through multiple rounds of interviews. Difficult to advance on to next rounds.

Interview Question – How many marbles could fit into a school bus   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Phone screening 1:

Given an array, find all pairs that add to a given sum. Generalize on finding more than two elements that can add to the given sum. Questions on data structures operations complexity in relation to the data structures used for coding the solution to this problem (going from hashes/dictionaries then extrapolating to BSTs and red-black trees). Questions on my working experience.

Phone screening 2:

Generate a maze. Each cell can be a free space, a wall, a starting point or the end point.
Tried an incremental solution by randomly choosing the type of cell as we progress through the maze. Managed to finish, but there was no time left for any questions. Obviously, my solution was not good enough.

Good luck everyone!

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Nothing out of the ordinary, just your typical interview with a couple simple questions/rpoblems

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I choose C++ for interview. First question is about STL iterator. Second question is hash table as separate chaining

Interview Question – Not very hard. but be sure to make it right   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – One question was asked about the data structures and I was asked to write the code for it.

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – first round of telephone interview

Interview Question – question were not difficult, but not expected.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through other source and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – G recruiter called, I chatted with the recruiter and HR for quite a while, 2 phone screens later I was invited on-site. First person came in, there was 5 mins of chitchat, and then question was posed. The other 3 people were rather pleasant and tested general knowledge in field.

Interview Question – Find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted 2D square array (non-diagonal)   View Answer

Software Developer

I interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Codility(online programming test) assessment + phone interview
The question was easy enough but it was horrible trying to write production code in a Google Doc in 5-10 min. He went through all the corner cases such as empty string etc. and kept poking holes in my code. Fair is fair and I never thought it would be easy. I am pretty sure I won't make it to the next round although I didnt get the result

Interview Question – First, they sent a coding assessment on Codility which had 2 questions - one was to return the number formed by interleaving the decimal digits of 2 numbers. Then during the phone interview I was asked to serialize and deserialize a vector of strings in C++.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Google has long and slow hiring process. I was contacted by Google candidate review associate, who sent my information to recruiter, and finally I was contacted by coordinator who schedules interview. I appeared for first phone screen. It had one coding question.

Interview Question – Given a doubly linked list as
1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 4 <-> 5<->6

and input (1,2,4,3,6)

Find out longest sub sequence in doubly linked list containing max number of input elements and return its last number.

For above input 1-2-3-4 is longest sequence as per given input. And last number is 4.

for input (1,2,4,7)

Answer should be 1-2 and 2 is last element
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through the google website. Heard back from the recruiter after a couple of months and then she didn't reply back for months. But ultimately after following up, she scheduled a telephonic interview. They mostly asked me system level questions which were out of my area of expertise

Interview Question – How do you handle redundant calls to a server?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 65 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.