Google Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

3.4

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Interviewed on campus, then recieved two phone screens on google hangouts. Unfortunately, I did not pass this stage of the process due a very tricky design question. Each interview was 45 minutes long but there was time at the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
  • How to sort a linked list.
    How to find three sorted numbers in an array.
      View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Contacted by HR first and then set up another phone call with another HR. Then they decided to take me to the onsite interview. Before the onsite, they gave me an opportunity to talk to an google engineer to give me some tips about the next step (which is really sweet and helpful, and made me feel that I am still lack of programming experience~ I need to study harder!)

Haven't been to onsite yet, still wating to make appointment. So no offer right now.

Interview Questions
    • Not much technical questions, basically talking about my school projects.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Difficult to secure an initial interview. Had to know someone in the company. Good interviewers, asked very challenging questions. Had to go through multiple rounds of interviews. Difficult to advance on to next rounds.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Phone screening 1:

Given an array, find all pairs that add to a given sum. Generalize on finding more than two elements that can add to the given sum. Questions on data structures operations complexity in relation to the data structures used for coding the solution to this problem (going from hashes/dictionaries then extrapolating to BSTs and red-black trees). Questions on my working experience.

Phone screening 2:

Generate a maze. Each cell can be a free space, a wall, a starting point or the end point.
    Tried an incremental solution by randomly choosing the type of cell as we progress through the maze. Managed to finish, but there was no time left for any questions. Obviously, my solution was not good enough.

Good luck everyone!

Software Developer Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary, just your typical interview with a couple simple questions/rpoblems

Software Developer Interview

I choose C++ for interview. First question is about STL iterator. Second question is hash table as separate chaining

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

first round of telephone interview

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Google.

G recruiter called, I chatted with the recruiter and HR for quite a while, 2 phone screens later I was invited on-site. First person came in, there was 5 mins of chitchat, and then question was posed. The other 3 people were rather pleasant and tested general knowledge in field.

Interview Questions
    • Find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted 2D square array (non-diagonal)   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Google.

Google has long and slow hiring process. I was contacted by Google candidate review associate, who sent my information to recruiter, and finally I was contacted by coordinator who schedules interview. I appeared for first phone screen. It had one coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a doubly linked list as
      1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 4 <-> 5<->6

and input (1,2,4,3,6)

Find out longest sub sequence in doubly linked list containing max number of input elements and return its last number.

For above input 1-2-3-4 is longest sequence as per given input. And last number is 4.

for input (1,2,4,7)

Answer should be 1-2 and 2 is last element
        Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Codility(online programming test) assessment + phone interview
    The question was easy enough but it was horrible trying to write production code in a Google Doc in 5-10 min. He went through all the corner cases such as empty string etc. and kept poking holes in my code. Fair is fair and I never thought it would be easy. I am pretty sure I won't make it to the next round although I didnt get the result

Interview Questions
    • First, they sent a coding assessment on Codility which had 2 questions - one was to return the number formed by interleaving the decimal digits of 2 numbers. Then during the phone interview I was asked to serialize and deserialize a vector of strings in C++.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!