Google

Updated Jan 8, 2015

3.4

72 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Contacted by a recruiter and they were very friendly through the process. They did an initial phone call where they gave information on the company and I was asked to answer some basic professional questions.

Was interesting that I was not being interviewed for a specific position, but for a general programming role - they find you a project that suits you.

After the phone screen with the recruiter, there is a phone call set up with a developer.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

First contacted by an email from a Google recruiter asking if I wanted to have a 20 minute conversation. The ensuing phone call was a typical non-technical chat, asking me about my experience and interests, and whether I'd want to work in Mountain View, CA office, to which I said that I would. She gave me an overview of the interview process, letting me know it can take up to 4 months for an applicant to pass through all the stages (1 or 2 technical phone interviews, followed by ~4 hr in-person interview). Asked me what my favorite language is, and said she'd schedule an interview with an engineer, where we will work on a shared online document and I will be asked to write code.

She emailed me a 4 page prospectus on the Google hiring process, detailing how to prepare for the interviews. The flyer included the kinds of topics to expect to be quizzed on, and a very useful reading list to help you study up.

The first phone interview was scheduled for 1 month after the recruiter first called me. The person was an engineer who politely introduced himself and told me a little bit about what he does. We chatted briefly about my experience, and after exchanging pleasantries, got to business: He gave me a problem to solve and write code on a shared document. I got stuck a few times and he helped me out by suggesting ways to approach the problem. I managed to get through only about 25% of the solution, and then pretty much gave up, at which point he explained the remainder of solution to me.

The interview lasted 45 minutes. The engineer was professional, well-mannered and polite. About a week later I was contacted by the recruiter, who notified me that "...we won't be moving forward with the hiring process." I was expecting this, as I knew I had flunked the quiz.

Interview Questions
    • The recruiter's email postscript contains the following message, whose counsel I choose to observe:

"We know all this is exciting, so feel free to share your progress with your friends and family. However, keep in mind that our interview questions are confidential, so sharing them publicly would jeopardize the process for both you and the other folks who are interviewing."

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

I was referred by a friend, and got the phone interview. the interviewee asked a programming question about linked list, I have to write the code during the interview. I didn't see the question before, so the interviewee gave me some hints, I finished it but didn't have time to review.

Interview Questions
    • interviewee is very nice, and did not have very difficult questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2014.

HR:

Their HR was really fast. They quickly replied to emails, quickly arranged interviews date.

Tech:

First video call interview was really easy, let's say, something like topcoder div 2 - 250 problems.
    Second video call interview was more or less the same. But I failed with a binary search (off-by-one errors etc).

The problem from the second interview:

You have a sorted dictionary of words but you do NOT have an access to this dictionary.

You only have a method which return a string by index in that dictionary, i.e.

std::string get_word( uint64_t index );

Write an opposite method, i.e.

uint64_t get_index( std::string &word );

(both method signatures is not exact from the interviews)

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in December 2012.

I gave my resume to a recruiter during a career fair, got scheduled for a phone interview two weeks later. It was two 45 minute interviews, standard algorithms/data structure questions. Unfortunately it was my first ever tech interview and I was not well prepared so I failed both pretty badly. If you study you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Medium to hard difficulty algorithms/data structures questions. Signed the NDA so I won't give away details.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interviewed on campus, then recieved two phone screens on google hangouts. Unfortunately, I did not pass this stage of the process due a very tricky design question. Each interview was 45 minutes long but there was time at the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
    • How to sort a linked list.
      How to find three sorted numbers in an array.

View Answers (2)

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Contacted by HR first and then set up another phone call with another HR. Then they decided to take me to the onsite interview. Before the onsite, they gave me an opportunity to talk to an google engineer to give me some tips about the next step (which is really sweet and helpful, and made me feel that I am still lack of programming experience~ I need to study harder!)

Haven't been to onsite yet, still wating to make appointment. So no offer right now.

Interview Questions
    • Not much technical questions, basically talking about my school projects.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Difficult to secure an initial interview. Had to know someone in the company. Good interviewers, asked very challenging questions. Had to go through multiple rounds of interviews. Difficult to advance on to next rounds.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Phone screening 1:

Given an array, find all pairs that add to a given sum. Generalize on finding more than two elements that can add to the given sum. Questions on data structures operations complexity in relation to the data structures used for coding the solution to this problem (going from hashes/dictionaries then extrapolating to BSTs and red-black trees). Questions on my working experience.

Phone screening 2:

Generate a maze. Each cell can be a free space, a wall, a starting point or the end point.
    Tried an incremental solution by randomly choosing the type of cell as we progress through the maze. Managed to finish, but there was no time left for any questions. Obviously, my solution was not good enough.

Good luck everyone!

Software Developer Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary, just your typical interview with a couple simple questions/rpoblems